Premed 101 Forums

OMSAS 2008 questions

When I applied, one of my verifiers told me that he had been contacted (I think by Ottawa). He was also a reference and said that he started on a "she would be a terrific doctor" spiel, but was cut off and just asked for "yes or no" did she do X?

I don't think they really cared who he was.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many ABS entries do you people have for how old you are? I'm 22, and I have around 32-35 entries. I guess if I knew how important ECs were to med school apps when I was 16, I'd have a bit more. How old are the people that have 48? Or are they the type of people that come on this messageboard in grade 11, asking what kinds of magazines they should read to prepare for med school.... :rolleyes:

How many ABS entries do you people have for how old you are? I'm 22, and I have around 32-35 entries. I guess if I knew how important ECs were to med school apps when I was 16, I'd have a bit more. How old are the people that have 48? Or are they the type of people that come on this messageboard in grade 11, asking what kinds of magazines they should read to prepare for med school.... :rolleyes:

LOLLLLL!!!!

I'm also 22 and have about 25 entries.

For the sketch under Awards, are you guys putting the dollar amount for scholarships? Good or bad idea?

For verification, are you just putting your school's financial aid dept, the organization you received it from...etc ?

i put myself as verifying most of the awards (you can show them a copy of the thing if they ask... otherwise putting down hs guidance councillor) ... not including dollar amount of scholarship... i think that's unnecessary

I applied at 25 (in grad school) and had 48 entries. A few of my younger (23 ish?) friends did too, but I have no idea what they put in there. As I mentionned on other threads, my entries weren't all glorious at all tho, there was a mix of bigger & smaller commitments, long & short term... So it obviously wasn't 48 entries of publications and hospital volunteering... many of the things I put down were just small things, which I figured were still good to put on, but might not have counted at all in the eyes of some admin commitees. Had I applied at 22, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have had filled all the spots.

For verification, are you just putting your school's financial aid dept, the organization you received it from...etc ?

That's what I did for the awards I put down. I called the financial aid dept. to see that they agreed to verify for it if they were called, and they agreed. I figured it was the easiest way to go.

Hi guys

I was wondering on the application, when we are entering our grades under different years say i started in 2004 and will graduate in 2008 so i have headings as : 2005 (1st yr), 2006 (2nd yr), 2007 (3rd yr)

My question is are we supposed to leave the 2008 (4th yr) which is yet to be completed blank or enter the courses alone while leaving the grades area blank

Thanks

For employment OMSAS/Med schools should be able to verify using SIN (this is electronic age guys). Why do they need us to list verifiers?

Because they don't want to spend the time and money required on a SIN check. They will run your SIN after acceptance for a criminal check, but that's not free. I believe our local police department charges $50.

For employment OMSAS/Med schools should be able to verify using SIN (this is electronic age guys). Why do they need us to list verifiers?

Some jobs aren't formal and thus don't use the SIN. Also, they may have specific questions for your employer, rather than simply knowing that you worked there.

Oh, and also to make you feel important and amazed at the detail required for medical school admission by filling out a lengthy application when in reality only very little actually counts.

Hi! I was wondering, would OMSAS not count my 4 credit hour courses from McGill greater than a normail half-credit course? Would this mean that I am not carrying a full course load with 30 credit hours a semester but only 8 courses? Because it would only translate to me taking 4.5 credits by the 5.0 credit system. Thanks!

Hi! I was wondering, would OMSAS not count my 4 credit hour courses from McGill greater than a normail half-credit course? Would this mean that I am not carrying a full course load with 30 credit hours a semester but only 8 courses? Because it would only translate to me taking 4.5 credits by the 5.0 credit system. Thanks!

no, a 30 cred courseload (from mcgill or other qc schools) is equal to 5.0 (in the ontario system) .. so you are fine.

Some jobs aren't formal and thus don't use the SIN. Also, they may have specific questions for your employer, rather than simply knowing that you worked there.

Oh, and also to make you feel important and amazed at the detail required for medical school admission by filling out a lengthy application when in reality only very little actually counts.

You are right, when I worked in a small shop during weekends, I was paid in cash & now I recall SIN was not asked for by the employer.

But shop is now closed & I do not know how to list it & get a verifier for this.:(

I just finished my degree but will be taking some undergrad courses next semester which I never got a chance to take due to electives restriction. Should i still list them in my academic section and leave the grade or put in incomplete?

Also, I had asked this ? before but no one seemed to respond to it. Is a 4 credit course only worth 1.0 or 1.5?

i was wonder if something like swimming every 2 weeks counts as EC for the sketch....cuz from the help menue it say it needs to have impact on the community

Like, swimming as a workout? I really don't think it's worthy of an entry. I put my fitness endeavours and personal hobbies under one entry (hobbies).

i was wonder if something like swimming every 2 weeks counts as EC for the sketch....cuz from the help menue it say it needs to have impact on the community

They basically want to see that you are well-rounded and lead a balanced life. Something like swimming definitely shows that. I would for sure include it. Besides, I'm not sure how many ec's really "impact the community". Does working in a hardware store or travelling to africa really help others?

Archived