Premed 101 Forums

Any chance for IMG applying to undergrad?

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Sergie,

I'm afraid I don't have much in terms of useful information, but I just wanted to say that I admire your perseverence. It takes a very strong person to follow this as you have!

The thing with Canadian schools is, grades grades grades. There are so many over qualified Canadian applicants, so you have to have above a 3.6 atleast to be competitive. The MCAT isn't as important for most Canadian schools, as long as you meet the cut-offs you should be fine. As for experience, what matters most is what you learned from those experiences and how you present them in your application.

I wish you all the best in your quest!

Hi everyone,

thanks in advance to all who find time to reply.

I am a foreign medical graduate (general surgery internship), immigrated to Canada in 2000. I decicded to apply to a medschool again, so, I took all the prereq courses again, and now I am working on MCAT

I am going to apply to McGill, MacMaster, Ottawa and Queen's for 2008 entry.

:rolleyes:

It seems that my extracurriculars look very weak - only present hospital volunteering. On the other hand, I have many things done, but back to my country. Since no refferences in English are possible, means nothing to talk about?

Also, should I mention that I am married and have a child, which means to have a fool-time mom job? Or it would be better not to mention it at all?

Moreover, there is a doubt whether to talk about my pure immigrational experience as my working experience: I've spent a few years (in total) as a general worker on the sewing manufactures trying to survive, learning languages and saving money to pay for prereqs?.. Looks pretty bad, I know.

I also wonder, is there any IMGs who are applying to the undergrad medschools this year and having similar questions? Or an IMG who had an expirience with the application processes last year... What special about IMGs anyway?

I want to use an on-line premed adviser, but I am afraid to spend a lot of money for nothing. Does anyone know any trustfull link or any real company, and in general, is it worth it?

My university operates on numerals/pass/fail grade system. Therefore, almost 50% of my trascript does not count towards my GPA. According to WES, my GPA is only 3.42, but for some reason couple of the longest and most difficult courses were given only 1cr along with the others that were shorter and easier and received 2-3credits from them. Bizarre.

My prereqs are ~3.8. Hope, to get at least 30 on MCAT this September.

Some suggestions? Anyone? PLEASE HELP!

Please, please, please, help is urgently needed!

Thanks.

Not a physician however have a spouse who was an IMG and is practicing in Canada after finishing residency. My question is why do you want to go back to medical school and do everything all over again. Why not try for carms and some of other IMG programs in Nova Scotia and NFLD to find out if you can get matched to a residency program instead of having to repeat med school again. I understand that it is hard for an IMG to get a residency program in Canada in the same way that it is hard to gain admission to a medical school here in Canada. With IMG's now in the first iteration, I would advise to go for the two in 2008, try for a residency program and the admission at the same time. All the best.

• 1 month later...

Archived