Premed 101 Forums

AGPA for 4.0 scale

I've sent an e-mail to admissions, but maybe someone here already knows the answer. If your university is on a 4.0 scale (no A+), how does U of M factor it into the AGPA calculation? Say, if my GPA on a 4.0 scale is appx 3.7, do they leave it as 3.7, or do they turn it into appx 4.2 on a 4.5 scale?

Thanks.

i thought they gave the mark breakdown scale on the admissions information page. they'll use your raw marks to turn it into the new scale. that is of course if your raw marks are shown on the transcipt.

i beleive it is a fair system, so you won't be disadvantaged just because your school follows a 4.0 scale i think. call them and ask just to make sure.

i thought they gave the mark breakdown scale on the admissions information page. they'll use your raw marks to turn it into the new scale. that is of course if your raw marks are shown on the transcipt.

I wish....in the US, 83 is a B-, here it'd be an A-! :D They don't show percentages on US transcripts, though, so it won't help me here. I was hoping maybe someone here has had experience with this already, but I guess I'll just wait to hear back from admissions - no rush.

No use stressing... they'll make it fair.... I'm sure they would convert courses to % ranges based on your school, and then calculate the UM-gpa from those %'s. Don't worry about it.

Here at UVic, a 7 (9-point scale) is an 80-84 % so a 7 would be converted to a 4.0 ....

No use stressing... they'll make it fair.... I'm sure they would convert courses to % ranges based on your school, and then calculate the UM-gpa from those %'s. Don't worry about it.

Here at UVic, a 7 (9-point scale) is an 80-84 % so a 7 would be converted to a 4.0 ....

We didn't have a percentage scale, though. I mean, there's a general percentage scale in the US (90-93% is an A-, 94%+ is an A, etc), but that's more for general reference purposes. My school is on a letter system, so no percentages at all on the transcript.

We didn't have a percentage scale, though. I mean, there's a general percentage scale in the US (90-93% is an A-, 94%+ is an A, etc), but that's more for general reference purposes. My school is on a letter system, so no percentages at all on the transcript.

Yes, i understand... It states clearly that 80-90 is a 4.0, 90+ is 4.5 .... this is irrelevant of the school... They must have information of the grading system from different schools to do a proper calculation... If they have this info they can calculate your GPA based on your letter grades. Contact admissions and ask specifically how they do it.

The admissions office at the Uofm would be the best place to get answers. However, from what I know, if your transcript report letter grades then these are used directly. So, an A from another institution convers to an A at the UofM even if the percent ranges are different at your home institution. Maybe the conversion sytem is more elaborate now, but historically this is how it's been done.

For anyone who might be interested:

When calculating the GPA from these schools were are only able to give

an A a 4.0 out of a 4.5, which may be a disadvantage. If the transcript

has percentage grades as well we can use these to convert to our 4.5

scale. If only letter grades are given we must use these.

this is not at all fair. I am a student from mcgill and we have 85%and above gpa of 4.0 which is an A. Even if i got full marks in my courses I wouldn't be able to get into U of M. All schools like UBC, MCGILL AND U OF T have 85% and above gpa of 4.0 . This is not at all fair. There must be a way to get around it.

does your McGill transcript show actual marks? I remember during interview day, there was a girl from McGill there as well, so you're right, there is a way around it. I'm from UofT, and I know that worked cause our transcript shows everything GPA, raw mark, and letter grade.

Archived