Premed 101 Forums

1st year med texts

I'm very much a textbook learner (ie. I prefer textbooks over class notes), so I'd love to hear some textbook reviews, particularly texts for 1st year meds. I'm looking for good embryology, general physiology, cardio-pulmonary physiology, and anatomy texts. Any recommendations? Thanks!

This forum already has some very thorough textbook reviews courtesy of Ian.

These are the texts I used:

Embryology - none

Physiology - Guyton - some people also like Ganong

Cardio-pulmonary physiology - Lilly's is great for cardio stuff but more pathophys

Anatomy - atlases: a combo of Netters with Rohen.

Anatomy - textbook: Clinically Oriented Anatomy if you really don't want to use lecture notes, but I never used it. My friends also used Gray's anatomy.

• 7 months later...

Here are some books I'd recommend:

Cardiology: Definitely recommend "Lilly's Pathophysiology of Heart Disease" (Lippincott Williams and Wilkins")

Anatomy: "Clinically Oriented Anatomy by Moore and Dalley" (LWW) and Netter's

Physiology: "Medical Physiology" by Lange - actually, I'd recommend the Lange series for any subject that you're interested in - they're pretty comprehensive though

Clinical Skills: "Bates Guilde to Physical Examination" (LWW)- note this is available online though!!

Renal: "Pathophysiology of Renal Disease (LWW)

For most topics - Harrison's or Cecil's are more than enough to provide indepth coverage and both of these are available online through the university's library

Archived