Premed 101 Forums

Man, PBL sucks because...

hey guys,

I'm thinking up disadvantages of PBL. The only one that comes to my mind is that this mode of learning can sometimes a bit longer vs direct lecture based classes.

If you've experienced PBL a lot, could you please post some of your thoughts about disadvantages of PBL? Thanks! ;)

woah woah woah! lol, initially apprehensive, my tune has changed. :) I love studying on my own, you can make your own schedule and what not - I'm not sure exactly how the curriculum at mac is structured but if you study on your own often, I think I can get more work done. haha

I'd imagine a downside is having a lot of work to do on your own, maybe on a topic that you aren't so great at, it might be nice to see it in a lecture. Although, I'm sure there is plenty of help available. There's maybe the risk that you don't cover an important point or something in your self-study, but I think that the small group learning will help you do that then.

A downside to PBL is that you might get group members that don't participate, which therefore hinders the whole "collaborative" effort

so true!

and don't forget the gunner/know-it-all/I'm-always-right person who can highjack the sessions.

Good tutors will make sure to keep those guys in check, some students do too.

so true!

and don't forget the gunner/know-it-all/I'm-always-right person who can highjack the sessions.

Good tutors will make sure to keep those guys in check, some students do too.

A downside to PBL is that you might get group members that don't participate, which therefore hinders the whole "collaborative" effort

Thanks guys. Never thought about that. I kinda just assumed everyone would be very easy to work with. Dont know why.

• 1 month later...

I won the Mcmaster Undergraduates PBL reserch competition for first year students and I got the chance to pesent my work to the faculty and community.I am not in helath science but a simple Physiology student eyeing on the pharmacology program at Mcmaster. Heres why I loved PBL

-I have a choice to learn what I want and choose a solution that I think is the best.

-I can defend my choice in anyway I want and If I am right then you have to acccept my plan

- Group work brings out the best in me, I might not have all the ideas but my group might have something that will enhance my idea.

-Peer work group reduces stress and it motivates you to find better and innovative solutions.

Last but not the least ever since I won the PBL challenge,job offers from profs seems to be never ending.I am working in pediatrics now as a Research assistant in my second year.

I hope you now know why I love PBL method--simple--It just rocks~~~

I won the Mcmaster Undergraduates PBL reserch competition for first year students and I got the chance to pesent my work to the faculty and community.I am not in helath science but a simple Physiology student eyeing on the pharmacology program at Mcmaster. Heres why I loved PBL

-I have a choice to learn what I want and choose a solution that I think is the best.

-I can defend my choice in anyway I want and If I am right then you have to acccept my plan

- Group work brings out the best in me, I might not have all the ideas but my group might have something that will enhance my idea.

-Peer work group reduces stress and it motivates you to find better and innovative solutions.

Last but not the least ever since I won the PBL challenge,job offers from profs seems to be never ending.I am working in pediatrics now as a Research assistant in my second year.

I hope you now know why I love PBL method--simple--It just rocks~~~

Only real slackers will benefit from your answer cuz most of us have already submitted our med school applications :cool:

Archived