Premed 101 Forums

Who's up for the next round?

Guest avisee

Guest avisee

Congratulations to those of you accepted; Best wishes to those still waiting.

As for the rest of us, I'm sure I'm not the only one who is anxiously awaiting the next round of OMSAS applications. I'll be writing the MCAT in August, and hopefully getting most of my application stuff together before school starts up again, so I bet I'll be seeing a lot of this board in the next few months!

Who else is with me?

Guest Elaine I

I agree! Congratulations to all of you accepted at med school for the fall! I have been very excited reading about all of the acceptances!

Avisee, I am also applying for the first time for September 2005. I have started working on my applications. I'll be applying to Calgary, UWO, U of T, NOMS, Queen's, Dalhousie and possibly MUN. I wrote the MCAT back in April, and am waiting to see if I'll be writing again in August...just a few days until I'll know!

Elaine

Guest avisee

Great to hear from you Elaine!

Sounds like we'll be applying to a lot of schools in common - hopefully I'll see you at an interview or two! I'm definitely applying to Calgary, Queen's, U of T along with you, and at least a couple more out of of Dalhousie, Manitoba, MUN, Ottawa or NOMS - if I can convince myself it's worth putting my ~$75 hat in each of those rings no matter what the odds.

I also have a phobia of requesting references, which may keep me from applying to too many non-Ontario schools since more schools = more forms each referee must fill out, and I hate to burden them already!!

Good luck with the MCAT results, Elaine!

Guest coleflower

I'll join you two in the preparing to apply pool. I did apply this year and don't expect to get in on my one waitlist offer, so I'm back at it.

I very much understand your point, advisee, about not liking to ask for references, I was very nervous about it, and now I am going to be doing it again. The big thing I've been telling myself is that the profs who seem like they're very busy and won't have time for you are actually nice people, and it's essentially their job to help you out.

That being said, I am hesitant to approach one person with a request for more than a couple reference letters... so having more than 3 potential referees would be a bonus.

good luck with your MCATs, and applications

Hey Elaine!

Good luck with the MCAT results. The last bit of waiting was the worst. Hope it's worth it.

I'm on the waitlist for Queen's, but I'm not holding my breath either, like Coleflower.

For next year, I'll apply to more schools than this year. This year, 5 schools, 2 interviews, 1 waitlist. Next year, I'll try the scatter-gun approach and see if it helps.

Prospective schools: UBC, UofC, UMan, NOMS, Ottawa, UofT, Queen's, Mac, MUN, and Dal.

I've been thinking about the apps in an abstract way, nothing concrete until I hear from Queen's about where on the list I wait (early July).

Again, good luck Elaine, and maybe we'll meet at an interview or two. I'm sure with your work background you'll get some good consideration no matter where you apply.

Bil :evil

Guest Steve U of T

Well I'm on 2 waiting lists, so I have reasonably high hopes, although I am considering the possibility of reapplying next year. I'd reapply to Queen's, UWO, U of T, and I might add some other schools around Canada, although they're mostly not favourable to Ontario residents. I'd also apply to a few US schools before my MCAT score expires. I was thinking Washington University in St. Louis (who will hopefully appreciate my MCAT score), and I'd do some research to find out about some others, possibly UPenn.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest coralrush

I'm in for the next round too. I'm going into my 3rd year, and don't have all the out of province prereqs, so I'm only applying Ontario this year.

Guest vitegeist

count me in!

3rd year UBC student applying to UBC and all the Ontario ones, except for NOMS (in my home town!), writing MCAT in August.

U of T is top choice for me, so far, but as I research more, that may change.

Guest chenzy

I'm up for the next round too. I'm applying to NOMS, U of T, Ottawa and U of C. I'm a PhD student at the U of A in the final year of studies (I hope). Best of luck to everyone! I'm sure we'll be talking more as the anxiety builds!

Archived