Premed 101 Forums

Any Questions about US Dental Schools?

Hey everyone.....I just wanted to know if anyone had questions about US Dental schools. As a Canadian, I understand how many of you are lost when it comes to US schools, so I'd like to help as much as I can. A little about myself:

Went to UofT for undergrad

Applied to 10 schools

Got accepted (and interviewed) at Boston, Tufts, Columbia, Temple, and NYU

Currently attending Temple Dental in Philadelphia....graduating in 5 months!

Currently applying to specialty programs.....got 5 interviews so the odds are with me, I hope!

Plan on moving back to Canada when finished residency.

I was my school's president, which meant I got to travel a lot and attend meetings with other school presidents. So I learned a lot about other US Dental Schools from actual senior students. I am also very involved in dental politics, and have gotten to know tons of Pennsylvania dentists.

My best advice on choosing a school......dont worry about reputation.....try and get the best bang for your buck......and most importantly, try your best to get contact info for recent grads......or if you cant, talk to senior dental students. Dont talk with frosh, 2nd or 3rd year students......they really dont know anything.

IF you have any questions, feel free to ask.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey everyone......it seems that many people sent me Private msgs cause they wanted to ask specific questions.....however, i think that everyone would benefit if everyone saw the answer......ill keep the people asking the questions anonymous.

1st Question: do u know whats the odd of accepting canadian student with a B average at US dental schools?

When I applied 4 years ago, my stats were:

CGPA: 3.1

Science GPA: 2.95

US DAT: 20 AA, 17 PAT

However, things are getting more competitive these days, BIG TIME. I sit on the admissions committee at my school and I'd say a GPA of 3.2 should be the absolute minimum. However, there are always exceptions. If you have below a 3.0 though, that wont cut it anymore.

2nd Question: do u have any ideas about the banks loans? and what to look for when shoping for one? i know many banks offer a limit of 150 K but for example if i want to go to NYU then i need at least a 60K a year so not sure how that would work? and do u ask the canadian or the US banks for loans

I know that Royal Bank offers a Health Professions loan maxing out at 150K.....however, with some schools such as NYU, you need extra loans......but remember, US students are in the same boat. In the case of NYU, they have a deal with Citibank which allows you got get extra private loans at a reasonable rate. Not all schools have this option though. In that case, you'd have to get a private loan by yourself. If you have a US cosigner, then you're gold and you can get any US Loans. If not, you'll need to focus on getting money in Canada. CanHelp is an option.......but remember all of this depends on your credit scores, etc.

Question 3: My question is do you remember if they ever asked you in your interview why you wanted to attend a US school rather than staying in a canadian dental school? This question seems to be throwing me off. I dont know what to say.

During my US interviews, they never asked me this. HOwever, if they do ask this, just be honest with them. Tell them that Canada only has 8 english speaking dental schools in the entire country and that there are only 2 in Ontario alone. You applied to US schools to increase your chances and at the same time have the opportunity to have a different experience. There is nothing wrong with that answer cause its honest and true.....and interviewers know this already.......they just wanna see what you say.

Question 4: What about coming back to Canada? I know that you can write the board exams, do you know what the passing rates on those are? How long do you have to study for those?

Coming back to Canada is VERY VERY easy. Remember, Dentistry is NOT medicine. The systems and regulations are night and day between the two. Getting a DMD/DDS degree from the US is the same as getting one in Canada. A Canadian grad can practice in the US and a US grad is free to practice in Canada. In fact, the current president of the American Academy of Pediatric Dentists is from Barrie, Ontario!!! When it comes to dentistry, the border doesnt exist.

As far as the board exam, you are eligible to take the exact same board exams as Canadian dental students. Remember, US DMD Degree = CDN DMD Degree. So there are no separate regulations at all.

The beauty of this profession is that you can honestly live wherever you'd like and still be able to make a great living. Its a wonderful profession and I hope none of you dont give up.

One last thing.....I understand that ideally, everyone would like to stay in Canada cause its cheaper, close to home, family, friends, etc. However, my advice would be that if you cant get into a Canadian school, dont wait another year.

Put this into perspective. Uoft's tuition is almost 30k per year.....At my school tuition is about 40K/year. Over 4 years, that is a $40,000 difference. Sounds like a lot, right? But honestly, if you look at the big picture, $40,000 to have a wonderful career and to make six figures as soon as you graduate and for the rest of your life......isnt that worth every penny?

Waiting an extra year and losing out on $100K of potential income during that year vs. paying an extra $40K for tuition????

And with the US dollar so weak and CDN dollar so strong.....going to the US for dental school is a completely viable option......i just think that a lot of Canadian predents are misinformed and they get scared by the pricetag.......and also, people automatically assume that CDN schools are much cheaper.....but its not like that in all cases. My 2 cents.

Question: i was wondering since there are so many people who dont get into canadian schools (people who probably narrowly miss out), arent you basically competing with them for the 1-2 spots that american dental schools have for the canadian applicants?

This is not true. American Schools do not designate a quota for Canadian students (they may do that informally, but no one could ever know this....but they could also have a quota for the amount of Michigan students they get or the amount of California students, etc.)....for private US Schools, Canadians applicants are treated the same as US Applicants. I know for a fact that schools such as Boston, NYU, Tufts have a significant amount of Canadians every year......like Im talking 10+ students per class!!!

I know you're not gonna like reading this (and I hate writing it), but when it comes to dentistry and admissions, Canada is basically the 51st state.

The key to getting into an American school is not your citizenship......its having adequate stats and applying early.......thats all there is to it.

I was wondering how American schools look at the Canadian DAT if you have written it more than once. That is, do they look at the most recent or the best scores, or does it differ from school to school?

Also are there guidelines for the States as to who your references should be (i.e. Science profs, non-Science profs, employers, etc.)?

Thanks! :)

Schools do not pick until August. Usually, they send out most of their acceptances by the beginning of December and will have established a waitlist. There's little point in applying, you might as well spend time making your app look superb when you apply for the next cycle in May/June. It's not worth it as you might end up at a school that you totally hate.

I'm anxiously waiting for acceptance/waitlist/rejection letters from American schools in just few days! :o (Actually, less than 12 hours from one of the schools)

Anyways, very nice thread, Dr.BadVibes!

I have a question for you...what made you choose Temple over all other schools? I know it's a fantastic "clinical" school, but for instance, Columbia is more known for sending out its graduates to specialities.

Just in case I get to choose between several schools, I want to know what was the deciding factor for you. :)

Thanks, and good luck on your interviews!

I would like to ask if anyone here is having problems finding reference letters for American Dental schools? Can the reference letters be from dentist whom you shadowed or volunteer supervisors? Obtaining a reference from a professor at such a high populated university can be a very difficult task since its quit difficult to develop a relationship on a personal level for the proffessor to write you up a letter.I havn't gone through american applications but this is a common problem i heard most applicants encounter. Any comments greatly appreciated.

I would like to ask if anyone here is having problems finding reference letters for American Dental schools? Can the reference letters be from dentist whom you shadowed or volunteer supervisors? Obtaining a reference from a professor at such a high populated university can be a very difficult task since its quit difficult to develop a relationship on a personal level for the proffessor to write you up a letter.I havn't gone through american applications but this is a common problem i heard most applicants encounter. Any comments greatly appreciated.

it depends, some schools want reference letters from science profs and a dentist that you've shadowed for example. That's my problem, seeing that last year I tried getting ref letters from my sci profs and all said no because they didn't "know me well enough".

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone.......sorry Ive been MIA for a while, but Ive had finals and a bunch of residency interviews, so Ive been quite busy.....but all of that is done and now I have some free time. Back to your questions:

when would you recommend applying and whats the latest you think one should apply by? thanks again

US schools run on a rolling admission......and they are not kidding by this. Apply early.....thats all I can say......it can seriously make or break you. AADSAS applications first come out in May.......get it in the summer prior to the year you plan on matriculating......some schools are notorious for filling up by September!!! (eg. Case Western)

I wouldnt recommend applying now, because AT BEST, you'll get a waitlist....but if you have cash to spare, its always worth the try......u never know. But check the deadline dates for each individual schools cause they all differ.

I was wondering how American schools look at the Canadian DAT if you have written it more than once. That is, do they look at the most recent or the best scores, or does it differ from school to school?

Schools look at the most recent score, NOT your best scores. So if you plan on retaking, make sure you do better. If you've taken it like a hundred times, then it doesnt look good.

Also are there guidelines for the States as to who your references should be (i.e. Science profs, non-Science profs, employers, etc.)?

This varies by school.......you'd have to check with each individual school on this one. Remember, you apply to each school through AADSAS, but you have to realize that each school should be treated completely separetely.....meaning each school has different LOR requiremets, different prereqs, etc. ALWAYS double check.

Hey congrats on graduating soon. BadVibes (I won't call you 'Dr' yet). You will enjoy the end of the road. BTW, what specialties are you applying? I can give you the odds on each one. Are you doing PASS MATCH program, or Non Match Program? Good luck..

Apply to pedo.........all match baby! Jan.28 is doomsday!

Can the reference letters be from dentist whom you shadowed or volunteer supervisors? Obtaining a reference from a professor at such a high populated university can be a very difficult task since its quit difficult to develop a relationship on a personal level for the proffessor to write you up a letter.

I had the same problem....I went to UofT and was just a number as well. Basically, profs at UofT know why you need to reference letter.......so they will base their letter on your grade in their class and usually would want a copy of your cv (and maybe some other transcripts).......if you dont apply cause you cant get reference letters, you're making a big mistake because it means you're not trying hard enough.

I just wanted your opinion on my chances for american schools, i think my cumulative GPA avg would come to around 3.4 (which is pretty crappy)

do american schools look at cumulative or would they consider each year and look at trend

my grades: 3 (first year), 3.7 (second year), im in third year right now (hopefully 3.8-3.9)

dude....for US schools your grades are stellar and you shouldnt have a problem at all getting in (depends on your DAT).......

US schools look at cumulative and your science GPA........they do look at a trend if need be, but your GPA is very very competetive for US schools.

Do you know if American dental schools require their applicants to have maintained a full course load during their undergraduate studies? Do you know if they penalize applicants with some part time years?

most schools would prefer you to take a full course load......if you dont, then they will ask you why you never did? Is it because you couldnt handle it?? If so, then obviously you wouldnt be able to handle a dental school course load, which is what they'll think. I did Full time studies at UofT and parttime for one year........that was no problem.

Archived