Premed 101 Forums

Any Questions about US Dental Schools?

hey Dr. BadVibes

i'm currently a 3rd year chem student at UBC, and I've heard from friends say that UBC students who apply to USA schools get like a 5% GPA boost, (one of them claims that he's actually gotten the GPA boost, but his claim is kinda sketchy imo).

My current GPA is a 3.0, but I think i'll be able to pull a better mark this year...

I plan to take my first Canadian DAT in Feb, and I'm wondering if I even have a chance at dentistry?

also, is there like a list of schools which consider Canadian students? I looked at UW, and they don't take international students at all...which kinda cuts down on my chances

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hey Dr. BadVibes

i'm currently a 3rd year chem student at UBC, and I've heard from friends say that UBC students who apply to USA schools get like a 5% GPA boost, (one of them claims that he's actually gotten the GPA boost, but his claim is kinda sketchy imo).

My current GPA is a 3.0, but I think i'll be able to pull a better mark this year...

I plan to take my first Canadian DAT in Feb, and I'm wondering if I even have a chance at dentistry?

also, is there like a list of schools which consider Canadian students? I looked at UW, and they don't take international students at all...which kinda cuts down on my chances

Ive heard the same thing, but i dunno about 5%!!! I wouldnt bank on it if I were you.......

There is a list of schools that take Canadians and if you do a search on this forum or Student Doctor Network, you will easily find what you're lookin gor

But unless you have spectacular stats, NYU and BU are the most reasonable choices for canadian applicants; the main reason they're applying to the US in the first place.

not true......u need something like a 3.9 to get into a Canadian school, right? but if someone has a 3.6 or 3.7, then they will definitely have a chance to get into a better school than NYU or BU...

if your gpa is low like a 3.0, 3.1, then ur right, BU and NYU are probably your best bets......but if you wanna become a dentist with crappy grades, then you gotta fork over the cash...

Remember.......not all US dental schools are expensive....if ur talking about the schools that most canadians goto like NYU and BU, then yah, its expensive......but remember, there are 55 dental schools in total......many of them are not that more expensive than UofT

which schools are these?

not true......u need something like a 3.9 to get into a Canadian school, right? but if someone has a 3.6 or 3.7, then they will definitely have a chance to get into a better school than NYU or BU...

if your gpa is low like a 3.0, 3.1, then ur right, BU and NYU are probably your best bets......but if you wanna become a dentist with crappy grades, then you gotta fork over the cash...

Newbie here~

I thought NYU and BU were okay schools but expensive tuition....really expensive tuition.

I had a 3.1 cGPA and a 2.9 Science from UofT undergrad........and i got in 4 years ago....i know things are a bit harder these days, but in 4 years, it couldnt have gone up that much....

Anecdotes aside. The ADEA Official Guide Book to Dental Schools 2008 says:

Boston Univ

median accepted scienceGPA: 3.29

median accepted totalGPA: 3.38

median AA: 19.9

median PA: 18.5

median TS: 20.0

NYU

median accepted scienceGPA: 3.57

median accepted totalGPA: 3.62

median AA: 19.0

median PA: 19.0

median TS: 22.0

I understand high tuition, but 3.0 and 3.1? Seems a bit unrealistic.

If you go to student doctor network search "under 3 club" and you will see a post of people with under 3.0 GPAs that got accepted to dental schools. Inspirational stories - check some of them out.

hey Dr. BadVibes

What is a 5% GPA boost on a 3.0 GPA look like? Waht does that even mean?

I hope you are smarter than this...

Canadian students generally have higher GPAs than their American counterparts. Wishful thinking is good, so long as it doesn't interfere with reality.

How are multiple test taking viewed in the states??

I'm taking the DAT this Nov but I'm really not ready for it due to high course work and so and so...

Is it okay if I take it twice and how does the state view this??

upwards of 3 retakes is generally viewed in a negative light for the states. However, there is nothing stopping you from taking the cDAT and american DAT. You are only required to report one set of scores.

What is a 5% GPA boost on a 3.0 GPA look like? Waht does that even mean?

I hope you are smarter than this...

Canadian students generally have higher GPAs than their American counterparts. Wishful thinking is good, so long as it doesn't interfere with reality.

5% GPA boost is about a 0.4 to 0.5 GPA boost on the 4.0 scale, at least according to the UBC GPA conversion chart. Which is a ****LOAD

upwards of 3 retakes is generally viewed in a negative light for the states. However, there is nothing stopping you from taking the cDAT and american DAT. You are only required to report one set of scores.

I see.... I guess 2 should be okay...I found different schools have different rules for multiple taking but seems like most schools look at ur most recent score.

I was wondering if someone can help me.

I am a Canadian undergraduate at University of Calgary.

My GPA:

1st Year = 3.78 (8/10 Classes were science)

2nd Year = 3.98 (9/10 Classes were science)

3rd Year = 3.66

4th Year = 3.00

My overall weighted GPA is approximately 3.66

I have withdrawn from 4 classes in my academic career.

My major in my first four years was Biological Sciences. As of now, I am doing 3 classes in the faculty of engineering.

I have done quite a bit of shadowing with a dentist and have decided that this is what I want to go into.

I have not written the Cdn or US Dat.

The reason for my huge drop in GPA was due to personal reasons. Essentially, I live alone with my mother and my uncle who is severely mentally disabled came to live with us for 1.5 years (Winter of 3rd year until end of 4th year). This was the most trialing period of my life having to deal with seizures, appointments etc. I even failed a class in my fourth year. I was doing so well, winning 3 NSERCs, I also did undergraduate research in every summer, and throughout the school year.

I am trying to get back on track but I only expect by GPA to be minimum 3.4 ish over 3 classes this semester.

What are my chances of getting into a US dental school given my circumstance (I anticipate to post 20+s in my DAT)?

Also, since I have decided that dentistry is the way I want to go and now I don't know what I should do the for the Winter semester. I am missing a few classes for my B.Sc.

I am tentatively taking 4 classes in faculty of Engineering next semester but this isn't the career path I want to take. I'm thinking of just taking the 3 classes I need to graduate - then taking a year off and working while I do my applications. Would taking the classes I need to graduate (3 classes), and then just graduating then taking a year off be the best idea? (As I am starting to think thats what I should do).

Last question, given my GPA range and a Royal Bank 150,000 dollar loan (talked to them about it already). What schools are in my range?

I'm just really worried about the blemish on my academic record and it has completely eroded my confidence in myself.

Thank you for taking the time to read and thank you in advance for your replies.

im guessing you'll need a lot more than 150 k to study in the us :(

kind of depressing especially during times like this...

i don't understand why the tuition there is so high!

lol, going to school in the US is a form of slavery.

keep you in debt for the rest of your life unless you manage to get a high paying job

im guessing you'll need a lot more than 150 k to study in the us :(

kind of depressing especially during times like this...

i don't understand why the tuition there is so high!

lol, going to school in the US is a form of slavery.

keep you in debt for the rest of your life unless you manage to get a high paying job

Luckily, due to my family I could likely get quite a bit more if needed to. Although, I would prefer not borrowing from my family.

I was wondering if someone can help me.

I am a Canadian undergraduate at University of Calgary.

My GPA:

1st Year = 3.78 (8/10 Classes were science)

2nd Year = 3.98 (9/10 Classes were science)

3rd Year = 3.66

4th Year = 3.00

My overall weighted GPA is approximately 3.66

I have withdrawn from 4 classes in my academic career.

My major in my first four years was Biological Sciences. As of now, I am doing 3 classes in the faculty of engineering.

I have done quite a bit of shadowing with a dentist and have decided that this is what I want to go into.

I have not written the Cdn or US Dat.

The reason for my huge drop in GPA was due to personal reasons. Essentially, I live alone with my mother and my uncle who is severely mentally disabled came to live with us for 1.5 years (Winter of 3rd year until end of 4th year). This was the most trialing period of my life having to deal with seizures, appointments etc. I even failed a class in my fourth year. I was doing so well, winning 3 NSERCs, I also did undergraduate research in every summer, and throughout the school year.

I am trying to get back on track but I only expect by GPA to be minimum 3.4 ish over 3 classes this semester.

What are my chances of getting into a US dental school given my circumstance (I anticipate to post 20+s in my DAT)?

Also, since I have decided that dentistry is the way I want to go and now I don't know what I should do the for the Winter semester. I am missing a few classes for my B.Sc.

I am tentatively taking 4 classes in faculty of Engineering next semester but this isn't the career path I want to take. I'm thinking of just taking the 3 classes I need to graduate - then taking a year off and working while I do my applications. Would taking the classes I need to graduate (3 classes), and then just graduating then taking a year off be the best idea? (As I am starting to think thats what I should do).

Last question, given my GPA range and a Royal Bank 150,000 dollar loan (talked to them about it already). What schools are in my range?

I'm just really worried about the blemish on my academic record and it has completely eroded my confidence in myself.

Thank you for taking the time to read and thank you in advance for your replies.

from the top of my head, i'm pretty sure you will probably get an interview from schools like Tufts, Temple, BU with 20 range dats and if money is not a factor.

I would also like to ask if a degree is required for most us dental schools accepting canadians? Anyone know someone (Canadian) who has recieved admission after 2 years of undergrad in the U.S? (all prereqs)

Hi I'm a Canadian student but I really don't have a preference as to where I want to attend dental school...as long as I get accepted somewhere, I'll be a happy man. I was wondering if you knew of any of the easier u.s. schools to get into as an international student....especially with my "average" GPA and DAT score..any advice will help thanks..

Hi!

I am a Canadian student looking at US dental schools and was wondering if anyone has any info on:

1. Any US schools that do NOT require Physics as a pre-req?

2. I read in this forum that some US schools are not that much more expensive than U of T, but from my online research, they all seem to be in the 45k range...anyone have any idea of good schools with tuition in the 30s?!

3. Can the English pre-req be filled by any type of essay writing course other than English lit (e.g. social science, health policy, ethics etc.)

THANK YOU!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey I know this is probably a rather ridiculous question but I thought someone here might be able to help me out.

I'm a third year student, applying to a couple of Canadian schools (U of A, U of S), and I know generally you want to apply super early for American Schools (like june/july ish) but I'm wondering if, at this point, there are any American schools that I can send my application to for the 2009 cycle that accept Canadian students as well as students with 3 years of undergrad work.

My cumulative GPA is roughly 3.75 and My DAT scores are all approximately around 23/30

I have been reading some of the posts by the OP here, and I have to say that some of the statements make no sense to me. It seems that the average for acceptances at most canadian Dschools is 3.9. So doesn't that mean that all the 3.8 rejects would be competing (with each other) for spots at US schools? So...how the hell does a 3.6 GPA even stand a chance down there?

you're assuming that all '3.8 rejects' apply to American schools.

Archived