Premed 101 Forums

Intl student interviews/acceptances stats

meshuga3

Hi,

I'm an international student with a very strong interest in remaining in Canada- I moved up here six and a half years ago to do an undergrad and have not gone home yet- in fact, I've stuck around to do a masters and to get engaged to my (Canadian) girlfriend. (I'm from the States originally.)

I applied to several schools in Canada thinking that my chances of getting in were slim at best, but I recently got an interview offer from McGill, which happened to be my top choice out of all the Canadian and US schools I applied to. So now I'm nervous, and I've been trying to find any sort of stat describing how many international students interview versus how many get in. Can anyone help out? I realize knowing a stat won't automatically make me a steller interviewee, but it will give me something to hold on to when I start freaking out that I'm going to be rejected.

Thanks a lot if you can help.

Look at your own risk. These numbers are not comforting. Though McGill is one of the few schools that give internationals a shot the competition is high.

This link has the number of spots at the bottom of the page. The number of accepted internationals has gone down and the OOP has gone up this year.

http://www.medicine.mcgill.ca/admissions/criteria/selection_categories_en.htm

The link at the bottom will show you how many apply each year in each category (the numbers are off for both OOP and IP for recent years, the double cohort thing...)

Again, thanks for the reply. I should have been more direct, I guess- I have an interview at McGill. I'm mostly just wondering what my chances are post-interview (i.e. do they invite 40 INTL students? 50?). Must learn to be clearer in posting.

Last year was 41 IP interviews.

If you marry a Quebec resident/Canadian citizen, your application for citizenship will be a lot easier and faster. Once you're married and have your residency then you'll be in a different pool AND have cheaper tuition once you get in. So, if you don't get in this cycle as an Int'l student, you could still have a great shot in the future. You *did* mention that you're engaged, right? ;)

Yeah, I'm engaged- the wedding is this spring.

One more question: Can anyone comment on whether holding acceptances in the States will prevent me from accepting a spot at McGill? I've recently interviewed at two schools I consider my top choice US schools- I will find out whether I'm in or not, for both of them, before the first of the year (according to them!). However, McGill decisions won't be coming out until March. So, provided I get into a US school, I will have to accept a spot before McGill decisions come out. I know for Ontario schools, once you've accepted at one, you're dropped from the list at others. I'm wondering if the same applies in Quebec, for international (US) schools (i.e. if I accept at one of these US schools, does that effectively prevent me from getting into McGill?). I'd like to stay in Canada, but- no surprise- I'm hedging my bets by applying in the US as well.

i think you're fine... ontario is the only province where they can ACTUALLY know if you're holding on to other spots since the whole thing is centralized through one application centre that deals with much of the paperwork etc...

all this talk of marrying a nice quebecois girl has got me thinking... improves your odds INFINITELY!!! I wonder if I can get my status changed from OOP to in-province if I get married in january .... hahaha any takers? ;)

• 2 weeks later...

-agreed that holding a US acceptance shouldn't be a problem for getting a McGill offer; I don't think there's a way for them to know.

-no set stats, but having received the interview, I'd say your chances of getting into McGill as an international student aren't bad at all, if your interview goes well. GPAs / MCAT start to even out after interview offers are made; and a certain percentage of international applicants will turn out not to be serious about attending, others will choose another school, etc.

Good luck!

Archived