Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invites?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey, I didn't apply to UBC but I've browsed DD's MDapps and for both of you guys: my advice would be to not jump the gun and instead consider the US as a better alternative if you don't somehow get into Canada (premature right now given how early it is).

The Carrib route is a quick fix but I have a feeling you might be setting yourself up for future headaches as an IMG.

I've already been accepted to Saba and SGU. I'm going to one of them. I'm too old to waste time and money up here reapplying. It's not to prettiest route to an MD, but it works. :cool:

Superking, funkmunk, VanMD, lugzm, DiscoDoc, RaVen777 and others who were refused an interview.... Don’t give up! If you really want it and you really believe you deserve I’m sure you do too! But this really maybe isn’t so bad to get this refusal now....

I finally go invited for an interview this year. This is my third year trying.

I have to say though that the time between my first application to now has been really well spent. The things I’ve been doing things to gain further experience like doing an MSc, volunteering in HIV/AIDS and my current work have been such great experiences that have added value to my life even if I did not get an interview again this year. These last years I’ve become more interesting and wiser and stronger and I don’t regret them at all!!!!

I guess I’m saying that it isn’t necessarily for the worst and maybe what will come up in the next few months (may it be acceptance to another school, or finding a job that pays really well and saves you money for med tuition in the future or gives you research or medical experience) will be more worthwhile to you than getting an interview for UBC at this time!

GOOD LUCK!

Superking, funkmunk, VanMD, lugzm, DiscoDoc, RaVen777 and others who were refused an interview.... Don’t give up! If you really want it and you really believe you deserve I’m sure you do too! But this really maybe isn’t so bad to get this refusal now....

I finally go invited for an interview this year. This is my third year trying.

I have to say though that the time between my first application to now has been really well spent. The things I’ve been doing things to gain further experience like doing an MSc, volunteering in HIV/AIDS and my current work have been such great experiences that have added value to my life even if I did not get an interview again this year. These last years I’ve become more interesting and wiser and stronger and I don’t regret them at all!!!!

I guess I’m saying that it isn’t necessarily for the worst and maybe what will come up in the next few months (may it be acceptance to another school, or finding a job that pays really well and saves you money for med tuition in the future or gives you research or medical experience) will be more worthwhile to you than getting an interview for UBC at this time!

GOOD LUCK!

Well sometimes it is also a crap shoot. For instance, I have 18 months doing HIV research in Vancouver's Downtown Eastside. I was part of the team evaluating the injection site. I did this as an undergrad starting in 2004. This gave me publications and was teh main reason I got a scholarship to go to grad school and get my master's in public health where I investigated MRSA in hospitals and completed rounds with community medicine residents (we study the same material as community medicine residents so much the director or residency programs for this field told me if I chose this field of medicine you could get 18 months knocked off residency). This led me as to become a government funded cousellor where I worked one to one with people who the ministry deemed as not workable. Many of my clients have HIV, schizophrenia, cancer and are homeless. I developed plans with each client to improve their quality of life. After doing that for a year I am now the program coordinator for a provincial cancer agency where I develop with my team ways of monitoring and controlling environmental and occupational carcinogenic exposure. Not to mention I have tons of awards, great volunteering, overcome illness, good GPA....rejected with no interview...yet I had my verifiers contacted within the last week...

Well sometimes it is also a crap shoot. For instance, I have 18 months doing HIV research in Vancouver's Downtown Eastside. I was part of the team evaluating the injection site. I did this as an undergrad starting in 2004. This gave me publications and was teh main reason I got a scholarship to go to grad school and get my master's in public health where I investigated MRSA in hospitals and completed rounds with community medicine residents (we study the same material as community medicine residents so much the director or residency programs for this field told me if I chose this field of medicine you could get 18 months knocked off residency). This led me as to become a government funded cousellor where I worked one to one with people who the ministry deemed as not workable. Many of my clients have HIV, schizophrenia, cancer and are homeless. I developed plans with each client to improve their quality of life. After doing that for a year I am now the program coordinator for a provincial cancer agency where I develop with my team ways of monitoring and controlling environmental and occupational carcinogenic exposure. Not to mention I have tons of awards, great volunteering, overcome illness, good GPA....rejected with no interview...yet I had my verifiers contacted within the last week...

Wow. It is an awful feeling to get rejected pre-interview by your home province's medical school (and your #1 choice). However, like everyone says, keep your head up, and keep pushing. I hope you sent out applications to other medical schools because it sounds like you'd be an incredible doctor.

Hey, I didn't apply to UBC but I've browsed DD's MDapps and for both of you guys: my advice would be to not jump the gun and instead consider the US as a better alternative if you don't somehow get into Canada (premature right now given how early it is).

The Carrib route is a quick fix but I have a feeling you might be setting yourself up for future headaches as an IMG.

I hear you KT, but it is the 3rd time applying and one has to eventually move on. IMG does suck but its either that or no MD. Doing grad work is not that useful for DD or myself. Been there done that, have the degrees to show for it.

Its a numbers game and now we can only hope that UofToronto which has a different evaluation method for grad students shows us some love.

VanMD

I am sorry to hear about your situation. If your grades are over ten years old and poor, eliminate them using the ten year rule and redo them. This is very possible as I went this route and was accepted last year.

Good luck to you no matter what you decide and if you want to PM me feel free.

shaka

so...........

I got the rejection notice yesterday too.

Then today I got another (way more shocking) e-mail this afternoon saying they made a mistake and I actually do have an interview....

yeah :confused: I'm very thankful though.

I had an interview last year at UBC too.

OMG...that's crazy. Congrats.

when u schedule the interview (don't forget to schedule by jan 31st!), it shows there are 20 timeslots with 33 people in each...being the mathematician that i am, i just multiplied the two :D

but this info and more will be on the interim stats supposed to be posted tomorrow

the location is the LSC i blv.

Hi everyone,

This is now my fourth year applying to medical school. I just want to congratulate all those who received invitations for interviews, and pass on my encouragement to people who will be trying again next year.

Last year, I constantly checked this forum even when I didn't really need to, and it caused more stress than good, so I'll try to stay off after this.

Good luck to you all!

Ya, about the stats: They always seem to post midterm stats that have information about the number of people interviewed, from where, etc, but then once the final acceptance letters go out they take it down and replace it with the stats that you see on the page about previous years (which does not include anything about interviews etc.)

They did say the stats would go up today tho... lairs.

Archived