Premed 101 Forums

Will i ever get into Harvard medicine?

KamG

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nobody in their right mind would ever turn down Harvard.

Um..yeah..its funny how some of my friends who got into cdn schools are jealous of other schools (both remain nameless) of facilities found in even some of the low-mid tier MD schools in USA.

+++ to harvard (and then some +).

Although we are comparing applies and oranges. I bet if we paid that much tuition for Cdn schools, the MD candidates would have a lot more toys to play with. tuition is at at least 3 x more.

You know, last week I was looking up tuitions (yeah I probably should have done this earlier), and uoft's estimated costs are 40k annually (??!!!)

Why not pay 20k more for the harvard name alone? (I'm going to save the rest of my impressions of the school until march) harvard would probably offer better fin aid too.

You know, last week I was looking up tuitions (yeah I probably should have done this earlier), and uoft's estimated costs are 40k annually (??!!!)

Why not pay 20k more for the harvard name alone? (I'm going to save the rest of my impressions of the school until march) harvard would probably offer better fin aid too.

ITS 40K!?! I thought it was subsidized. A friend of mine going to Ottawa said he was paying like 20K.

Yeah, if both UofT and Harvard accept me for medicine I think I would have to think about choosing one or the other. It's kinda like a trade-off between your financial abilities and your facilities/being in a great school and all that. Unless you have rich parents, the financing alone would be hectic. In Canada I was just talking to the RBC about LOC and they were saying how the previous case (who went to a Canadian school) didn't even need a cosigner, and they didn't even need a 150k LOC (it was 100k). I know that CIBC probably doesn't offer their professional student loans to people studying out of country, but it's when we have to go over the boarder that we need the most money....

I guess the more badly we need the money the less options are available...sigh

$40K includes living expenses - if you're from TO or GTA, it'll be cheaper.

Also, there is UTAPS which is automatic and you do not need to pay it back if they determine that you are in need. There is OSAP also - I believe you'll get a good amount, anything over $7K does not need to be repaid and most of you will be eligible and probably receive a bursary of some kind, yet more money that does not need to be repaid. So it's not that bad.

For me, I'm living at home, my tuition was about ~$13K this year. ~$4K from OSAP. ~$3000 in a bursary from the government, and ~$2000 from UTAPS. Rest covered by parents. If yor tuition is more, and you're paying rent you'll receive more aid (that you likely don't have to repay). Rest should be covered by the LOC. So it's not that bad. Going to Harvard is just not a great idea if you can't comfortably afford it - it's going to be a lot more expensive than just $20K more because you're not receiving any non-repayable aid, most will be from LOCs with high compounding interest to consider. The conversion rate between the loonie and USD is not favorable either.

$40K includes living expenses - if you're from TO or GTA, it'll be cheaper.

Also, there is UTAPS which is automatic and you do not need to pay it back if they determine that you are in need. There is OSAP also - I believe you'll get a good amount, anything over $7K does not need to be repaid and most of you will be eligible and probably receive a bursary of some kind, yet more money that does not need to be repaid. So it's not that bad.

For me, I'm living at home, my tuition was about ~$13K this year. ~$4K from OSAP. ~$3000 in a bursary from the government, and ~$2000 from UTAPS. Rest covered by parents. If yor tuition is more, and you're paying rent you'll receive more aid (that you likely don't have to repay). Rest should be covered by the LOC. So it's not that bad. Going to Harvard is just not a great idea if you can't comfortably afford it - it's going to be a lot more expensive than just $20K more because you're not receiving any non-repayable aid, most will be from LOCs with high compounding interest to consider. The conversion rate between the loonie and USD is not favorable either.

Thanks for the info about UofT.

At Harvard you get the same need based institutional aid as the Americans would. So in theory the out of pocket costs should be more comparable (providing you don't have rich parents).

No absolutely not true.

Check the CaRMS - the average in Canada is far from 85% for 1st choice program and 100% first choice specialty.

Responding a bit late but I found this info on the CaRMS website for the 2008 match:

65.4% of Canadian applicants got their first choice of program (ranges from 54.3% of U of A applicants up to 73% of Laval applicants)

91% of Canadian applicants got their first choice of specialty/discipline (ranges from 83% of Laval applicants up to 96.7% of USask applicants)

Also, did you know 86.325% of people who quote stats are weenies? Absolutely true (self included). :rolleyes:

These stats are to be taking with a grain of salt. We really have no idea which schools applied to which programs...

Oh, but we do...

A school boasting a 98% admission into first choice specialty is not as impressive when the vast majority ranked FM as 1st.

Hmmm. Good point. More stats...

- as mentioned above, 98% of USask applicants got their first choice of discipline (whatever that discipline was)...

- across all Canadian medical schools, 39.8% of applicants chose Family as their first choice of discipline

- but at USask, only 24.6% of applicants (significantly lower proportion than the national average) chose Family as their first choice of discipline

- so, USask applicants chose Family much less often AND were more successful than all other medical schools in getting their preferred specialty

- therefore, USask applicants must totally rock...

- who knew USask was the "Harvard" of Canadian medical schools?! :D

So glad I never have to go through the CaRMS process evah again, but they really do post some very thorough analyses of the match results. </weenie>

24.6% family is low for Canadian med schools? At the "Harvards" you rarely see more than like 5%.

I mean, I definitely don't feel like primary care is the worst thing that could possibly happen to you, but that's not a pro-Canadian med school statistic.

24.6% family is low for Canadian med schools? At the "Harvards" you rarely see more than like 5%.

I mean, I definitely don't feel like primary care is the worst thing that could possibly happen to you, but that's not a pro-Canadian med school statistic.

I don't think it is limited to the Harvards actually, for most US medical schools the percentage of those entering family medicine is absurdly small.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived