Premed 101 Forums

Will i ever get into Harvard medicine?

KamG

It's times like this that I kick myself for growing up in a crappy small town. Never really considered undergrad as anything more than a stepping stone to getting where I want. But the university is subpar, and had I actually been more mature when I graduated highschool, I probably could have applied and been accepted to one of these good schools in the states. *sigh*

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's times like this that I kick myself for growing up in a crappy small town. Never really considered undergrad as anything more than a stepping stone to getting where I want. But the university is subpar, and had I actually been more mature when I graduated highschool, I probably could have applied and been accepted to one of these good schools in the states. *sigh*
hey ... i went to a small undergrad in a small town in ontario and i remember a lot of interviewers not even being able to properly pronounce my undergrad name, which made for some smiles and jokes and i'm sure made me more memorable.

from my interview experiences, most us schools don't know too much about canadian universities other than mcgill and maybe ubc/utoronto among more prominent research circles. by far though ... mcgill is much more widely recognized to american universities than the other cad schools.

the point is to do well on your MCATs and to have a great GPA and to keep your head up. once you get an interview, it doesn't matter where you went to school and so forth.

g'luck

Ummmm, OP (or TC, whatever), why do you want to go to Harvard so bad? There's lots of awesome all over the US.

To name a few: Duke, Yale, Cornell, WashU-- these are all big names and I don't think anyone will ever say. "Oh, you only got into Duke". And schools that we don't really talk about much like UMich are awesome too.

There really is no point to being bent on HMS. Let's say you did get in (which would be great and hey we all hope so), then what next? Is that the end of the line?

Getting into any awesome school should be your only worry.

I think there is still an edge being Harvard Med.

I mean all those are great schools, but you don't see them mentioned after physicians in newspapers and magazines - unless the name is HARVARD - which will always get mentioned.

There is that extra value going to harvard - both in connection, reputation etc.

Last I heard 85% of harvard med grads got into their first choice residency program, and practically 100% got into their first choice of specialty. That's pretty amazing for a med school - a match rate no Canadian med school can even come close.

For most, the question is: Is Harvard education worth spending that $250-300k depending on the strenght of Canadian dollar?

Last I heard 85% of harvard med grads got into their first choice residency program, and practically 100% got into their first choice of specialty. That's pretty amazing for a med school - a match rate no Canadian med school can even come close.

I thought most Canadian med schools achieve similar stats?

Havard = p*nis extension (or female equivalent)

Do yourself a favour and think about your priorities. Do you want to be an amazing doctor or tell people at highschool reunions you went to Harvard? The person makes the doctor not the school.

Just my .02...

UBCGuy

From your stats, you're going to have a tough time getting into Harvard.

Your GPA, MCAT, etc. are all average Harvard applicant level. SFU isn't going to help you, since it isn't a world-class university. What will really make you shine is your ability to lead. You have to demonstrate this through things you have done, and they have to be substantial; volunteering at x hospital for a few years isn't going to cut it.

If you do get in, realize that it is extremely expensive.

I do applaud your ambition though. Harvard is the best medical school in the world. With it you will get a top-notch education, and have connections and clout that will make your career all the more satisfying. You will have limitless options.

So, my advice is to take a shot at it. What do you have to lose besides your pride?

From your stats, you're going to have a tough time getting into Harvard.

Your GPA, MCAT, etc. are all average Harvard applicant level. SFU isn't going to help you, since it isn't a world-class university. What will really make you shine is your ability to lead. You have to demonstrate this through things you have done, and they have to be substantial; volunteering at x hospital for a few years isn't going to cut it.

If you do get in, realize that it is extremely expensive.

I do applaud your ambition though. Harvard is the best medical school in the world. With it you will get a top-notch education, and have connections and clout that will make your career all the more satisfying. You will have limitless options.

So, my advice is to take a shot at it. What do you have to lose besides your pride?

Um, no.

Just because school is not known does not mean that the OP has no chance. Not everyone that gets in goes to a known school, although his GPA will help. If his mcat is 35+, then he is average harvard ACCEPTED, not applicant.

What blackjack said about leading is right. The activities you need to have should be significant. This is why a 35+ mcat won't get you in, neither will a 4.00 GPA. Too many applicants bring high mcats to the table, few will bring some activities and accomplishments that really stand out.

Even then, you never really know! Until you roll the dice of course. Regardless, i think that any school in the top 20 will be good enough for whatever purpose you want (NYU and Dartmouth probably added to that list).

<shameless plug>

The former dean of medicine at Harvard for 10 years (and now Dean Emeritus) and one of the former deans of medicine at UCSF is Dr Joseph Martin... who did his medical school training in Edmonton at the University of Alberta. :)

</shameless plug>

I realize this is outside the topic of the thread, but...

There are few absolutes in medicine. Great schools offer you great opportunities. However, a self-motivated, bright student will become an outstanding physician no matter where he or she trains. The onus is *always* on the student to be self-motivated and eager and to seek out opportunities. Perhaps this is why Harvard has a tremendous reputation - not so much because of its lecturers and labs (although they must be fantastic and may make learning easier) but because it selects self-motivated, eager students. I suppose one could argue that being around these types of students would make one a better physician... but the good news: These types of students are found at every medical school.

Besides, the more I think about it, the more it seems that the real "learning" takes place in residency and beyond - maybe sometimes it's worth as much (or more) where you do your residency compared to where you go to medical school.

DISCLAIMER: I did not apply (nor would I likely gain admission) to Harvard med.

The onus is *always* on the student to be self-motivated and eager and to seek out opportunities. Perhaps this is why Harvard has a tremendous reputation - not so much because of its lecturers and labs (although they must be fantastic and may make learning easier) but because it selects self-motivated, eager students.

Well said. Contrary to how my above comments may sound I think Harvard is a tremendous place to learn medicine (learn most things for that matter). I just hate the idea that a particular school will "make you."

• 3 weeks later...

Hey I applied to Harvard this year, but I'm probably not going to get an interview. Just wondering though, does anyone know whether putting that I currently have no visa makes me an ineligible applicant? I indicated that i'm a canadian and have no visa at the moment on AMCAS

I was hoping to get your opinion on whether I have a shot at getting an interview with Harvard or Stanford, I applied to both, but sent my application pretty late.

I'm Canadian and I'm currently finishing up my last year studying Systems Design Engineering at Waterloo.

Got 33 on my MCAT 9 VB 12 PS 12 BS, and P

Got 3.75 on Sci GPA, 3.54 on AO GPA (all those engineering courses have been a GPA killer), and 3.63 overall.

Published a paper on an optical imaging device that I designed in my first year for interstitial cancer monitoring using a high resolution optical imaging modelity.

Worked in cardiac MRI imaging research, helped to develop a computer algorithm at automatically segments the left ventricle in 4D (3D + time) image volumes for doctors.

Currently working on a new imaging device combining intravascular ultrasound and optical imaging (optical coherence tomography) to guide cardiac intervention procedures.

Currently also working on a new intracardiac ultrasound device that allows doctors to see forward in the cardiac chambers. this prevents procedural complications.

I don't have a great academic record, but do you think they would take a look at my research experience? perhaps I'm a better fit for UT?

Harvard told me that they are sending out the last batch of interview invites next week. I hope that because i submitted later than most people, that there might be a chance that I can still get an interview.

With all that research you might have a chance at Stanford. Harvard would be tougher IMO. NP doesn't seem as interested in research.The HST program will want to see research and a 3.8/38+.

Schools like those are the ones people apply to as a bonus, it's not realistic to bank on them.

With all that research you might have a chance at Stanford. Harvard would be tougher IMO. NP doesn't seem as interested in research.The HST program will want to see research and a 3.8/38+.

Schools like those are the ones people apply to as a bonus, it's not realistic to bank on them.

Quoted for Truth. Period.

just for the record AG, these schools are not rolling so having a late application doesn't really matter. Although some people say the interview invites are rolling, but I don't know if that is true.

Archived