Premed 101 Forums

Question about MMI etiquette

You read the question outside of the room (say a standard interview question such as "Why do you want to be a doctor?"), then when you walk in the room do you introduce yourself first (ie. shake hands etc) then answer the question or do you just start talking...or will the interviewer say something first or repeat the question verbally or somthing like that? Just curious. Thanks

You can shake hands, and in my interview in Dalhousie they did not repeat the question. However if you finished before 8 minutes were up they would ask you more questions regarding the same situation. On memory I did not shake hands, but that probably would have been very professional. None the less they will describe what you are suppose to do before you start, at least they did at Dal. And the question is at eye level in the room in case you forget the question.

I also did the MMI interviews at Dal and I shook hands with all but 1 or 2 of the interviewers. I think it is important to introduce yourself and give a good impression and a nice firm handshake is often part of that. At Dal we had stickers with our names and some other information to give the interviewer to affix to the evaluation sheet so if you didn't introduce yourself they would have your name but it is more polite to introduce yourself.

The interviewers never repeated the question but on more than one occasion they asked if I had read the question and prompted me to discuss it, or they started the conversation themselves, by asking what I thought of the situation or something similar. Otherwise, after I introduced myself and gave my sticker usually the interview would give some sort of nod or gesture that he/she was ready for me to proceed and I would just start my response.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

I think it really depends on the station - if it's one of the dramatized scenarios, then it really depends on if you have the opportunity. So basically, unless there was a specific reason not to, I always did at my Mac MMI. It's good to plan on it, unless for some reason it strikes you as inappropriate... ie if they say "Hi Jenn," don't respond with "Hi, I'm Jenn."

It seems obvious, but sometimes things happen when the nerves are going, things can come out. Actually, that exact scenario happened to me at my Ottawa interview. Don't panic too much though, they still took me :P

• 2 weeks later...

I shook hands and introduced myself, but the situation merited it, I was meeting someone I hadn't met before so I was like, "Hi, you must be X. I'm Ellie!" etc.

I think it's pretty natural to know whether or not to do it, but there was someone observing the scenario too, and I can't remember if I shook her hand or not when I gave her the sticker.

Archived