Premed 101 Forums

33 years old - Am I over the hill?

do it if you're absolutely sure it's what you want. It is a long and arduous road, and, if you do family med (shortest), you would be 40 when you graduate and begin practicing. That being said, we have two people in my class who are over 40 in my class, one of them having many kids (3-5, I can't remember exactly) Theres a girl who is 30 with 2 kids, and another guy who is 30 with 5 kids. It's not unheard of, and is definitely doable.

I hope not - I'm 33 and applying as well. I know that a couple of years ago there was a guy in first year med and his daughter was in 2nd year med, making him in his mid 40s at least.

I agree with what others have said. If going to med school is something that you know you want, then go for it. Realizing, of course, that you'd probably be giving up on a career that you already have and that you'd have to start over and that it will be about a decade before you start making any real money. If you're willing to accept all of those things, then do it!

Good luck!

Thanks for all the great feedback! After doing countless hours of research, as I'm sure most of you have done as well, medical school is absolutely what I want.

I'll be taking my youngest with me and moving away from my husband - how have other people coped with daycare issues?

They are 6 and 4...I had one during my 1st year of school (engineering) and the second one during my third year, so I had a fairly steep learning curve when it came to time management. Anything is possible; you just have to know when and where to make sacrifices (it's funny how sometimes it seems you don't really need more than 2 hours of sleep a night!)

I have applied this year. My wife is totally on board, my kids as well (their concept of time, however, doesn't go beyond Backyardigans).

Good luck!!

Have you applied for 2008 admission or are you already a student? How old are your children?

Thanks for all the great feedback! After doing countless hours of research, as I'm sure most of you have done as well, medical school is absolutely what I want.

I'll be taking my youngest with me and moving away from my husband - how have other people coped with daycare issues?

If it is something you really want and can accept the sacrifices then of course go for it.

I think that having a family in med school is doable albeit a bit more challenging of course and helpful with family support. I don`t have experience but I think it would be easier already having your kids than having them while in school. Going to med school in itself is challenging let alone uprooting one of your children and living your other half, who normally would be a source of support.

If there is no other way and it is a sacrifice you are willing to accept then perhaps it will work out.

But I just wanted to point out that while for the first 2 years of med school classes are during normal working hours for the most part....once you hit clerkship you will be working late and spending overnight call in the hospitals several days a week. Could be a challenge with a child at home. Maybe by then the rest of your family will have joined you.

Good luck :)

Maybe I'm being a bit too intrusive here, but what would want to make you leave a young family and husband behind for medical school? I'm not saying you are wrong to, but I really see this causing you some hardships, and I hope you have all the right motivations and goals in mind. Medical school will have you BUSY, especially for the last two years of your program (the first two are no cakewalk either). Then you have a 2-6 year residency where you will be ULTRA-BUSY. In the case of residency, like school, you will not necessarily have the option of being where your family is. Can you handle essentially 6-10 years away from your family? Can they handle it? Are you sure?

You will have some holidays etc. to get back to the ones you love, but make no mistake, this will be an enormous strain on any relationship, and only a really strong one will be able to weather it. I hate to sound negative, relative to my colleagues on here, but I think both sides are important to hear. I think you can do it, IF you are superstrong, and not afraid to watch your kids grow up, away from you, and grow away from you. Being away from them as much as you will be, you will be a significantly lesser figure in their lives than your husband. How will this affect you? How will this affect your relationship with him? Your kids? Think long and hard before making this decision, and best of luck to you if you do take the plunge! :)

It really is a difficult decision between pursuing a dream and not having any regrets when it comes to proving yourself, but the tradeoff in family can also be a bit too much. I've heard of way too many stories of physicians and especially surgeons who have excelled in their careers, gained enormous respect from their colleagues, only to retire to life in an empty or broken family, resorting to alcohol or going back and practicing themselves to death to fill the void that medicine took up in their lives. None of this is firsthand experience (I'm only beginning my med schooling), so take it with a grain of salt.

It really is a difficult decision between pursuing a dream and not having any regrets when it comes to proving yourself

This IS something I struggle with. Ten years down the road I don't want to look back and wonder why I didn't pursue my 'dream'. My family is 100% supportive and we all have decided to give it a try!

It certainly is helpful to have so many different perspectives and all of your experiences have given me a lot to think about. Having grown up in a family of teachers, my parents were always around.

You will have some holidays etc. to get back to the ones you love, but make no mistake, this will be an enormous strain on any relationship, and only a really strong one will be able to weather it. I hate to sound negative, relative to my colleagues on here, but I think both sides are important to hear. I think you can do it, IF you are superstrong, and not afraid to watch your kids grow up, away from you, and grow away from you. Being away from them as much as you will be, you will be a significantly lesser figure in their lives than your husband. How will this affect you? How will this affect your relationship with him? Your kids? Think long and hard before making this decision, and best of luck to you if you do take the plunge! :)

It is great to have so many different perspectives, thanks for the feedback!

• 2 weeks later...

I started medschool at 38 with a husband and three young children who did not move with me. I was home every weekend during med1 & 2, and less during med3. It was hard at times, but has been worth it. My kids still love me :o and my husband and I have not split up as was predicted by many naysayers. ;) Only YOU know yourself, your relationships and your motivations enough to decide if it is all worth it.

I have no regrets! I am a happier, more fulfilled person, and as a result I think I am a better mom and a better spouse. There have been tough times and some tears, but it all has worked out and the end is in sight. PM me if you have any questions. :cool:

I'm 33 years old with two children - am I crazy for wanting to attend medical school?

How have others coped with having a family and completing their studies?

You are NOT crazy at all and I applaud you for wanting to follow your passion! I do hope that you will make it in, because life is too short and in this short time you should follow your dreams!!!! I think that you have actually done really well to have your family before hand and now you just need the medical training. Moreover, the example that you are setting for your children is outstanding....WELL DONE and GO FOR IT WITH ALL YOUR HEART!!!;):D:)

• 1 month later...
I'm 38, 2 kids...I don't want to be 58 with 2 kids thinking "geez, I wish I would have tried..."

I am the same age (no kids).

I have the same line of thinking. i don't want to be at 80 years old, on my rocking chair and thinking "I wish I tried to ".

I say go for it! You are not too old but I would suggest you stay with your family because you will need them. I am speaking from the perspective of the child...24 and all grown up now of course! (and hoping to get into medical school someday...) My own mother was 33 and had 3 children when she started medical school. ( I was 10, my brother 8 and sister 6). EVERYONE told my Mom she was insane; she was selfish; that she would fail out; we would end up poor and living on a park bench somewhere etc. I don't think it was easy for her I definitly remember my mom was stressed sometimes and I know that it was very tough financially but it was so worth it. Life is never easy anyways.And just for the record I don't think going to medical school was detrimental to us, her children...she managed to balance being a mom and school very well.

If this is your dream you need to pursue it; if anything to set an example for your kids.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 25 and starting medical school this fall (will be 26 by then). I found this thread interesting because I will be married soon and my future husband is super supportive of my career choice. However, we are both wanting children! Is it unheard of for students to take a year off after 2nd year (before clerkship) to have a child?? Just food for thought...

I'm 25 and starting medical school this fall (will be 26 by then). I found this thread interesting because I will be married soon and my future husband is super supportive of my career choice. However, we are both wanting children! Is it unheard of for students to take a year off after 2nd year (before clerkship) to have a child?? Just food for thought...

I am not sure about the middle of med school, but a friend of mine whose wife had a kid while he was in residency, took paternity leave. It might be possible to get it in med school as well.

If you take a year (or anytime) off in med school you will not receive any benefits.

If you wait until residency you will qualify for maternity/parental leave benefits. For this reason, residency is the more popular time to have kids.

But my personal perspective is...there never is a "good" time to have kids. People who want them, just have them, and then deal with it.

I lost my father at the beginning of my baccalaureate and this affected in some way my academic results for the first year. I had to help my mother to close the family business and this is why I didn’t get a very high quote at the end of my BSc degree. But, looking at the 2 last years, you can see a huge improvement, for this reason I thought that medical school admission comity will take this in account when they will study my application. Answer: NO! I applied to french medical school (University of Montreal, Laval University and University of Sherbrooke) at the end of my master. My quote was not competitive. I ask the admission comity director from the University of Montreal to see what I can do to improve my quote and be accepted in medical school. He suggested to me to do a PhD and publish in good journals the results in order to become more competitive. This is what I did, a 5 years of PhD and 2 years of postdoctoral fellow. Now I apply again, I pass all the test at the Laval University and I am still waiting for the answer, June 12th. I hope it will be one of the best day of my life! But at the same University that they suggest to me to perform that kind of path, they did not accept my application, but still no official letter from them. What can I understand. My research curriculum is not at his best, but I far to be bad. How they can refuse my application?

This is amazing to see in a profession which they need humanism skills how they can’t be human when it is the time to evaluate the admission application. In my mind, generally speaking, if you have been in contact with problems or difficulties, you probably sacrifice your academic results, but you learn so much about how to face and fight against problems. This would not be useful in the medical practice? You are MD because you want to help people to pass through many type of difficulties. It is not absolutely necessary to live difficulties to know how deal with them, but in my mind this can let you be a little bit more human and empathic.

If you have feedback, I would be enchanted to read them,

Thanks!

Ad2008

Archived