Premed 101 Forums

GPA/MCAT cutoffs

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Western (for 2008 admission):

Meeting cutoffs usually guarantees an interview.

SWOMEN (London and surrounding area)

BS 8, PS 8, VR 8, WS O

BS, PS, VR combined total 30

GPA: 3.70

Outside of SWOMEN

BS 11, PS 9, VR 10, WS Q

BS, PS, VR combined total 30

GPA: 3.70

Queen's (for 2008 admission):

Meeting cutoffs usually guarantees an interview.

They didn't post them this year, although from a number of people who received interview invites and posted their stats, it was guessed that the cutoff was approximately:

BS 9, PS 9, VR 9, WS R

Total = 30?

GPA = ?

Ottawa (for 2008 admission):

MCAT not considered.

In-province

GPA: 3.85

Out-of-province

GPA: 3.87

McMaster:

No strict cutoffs (except, according to their website, a GPA of 3.0/4.0)

Toronto:

Meeting cutoff does not guarantee interview (entire application package is looked at)

GPA: 3.60

Northern Ontario:

I don't know.

...If someone can send me more accurate numbers, I can just edit this post.

Most schools will use more than one method. First, all schools in Ontario (as well as Dal) use the OMSAS Conversion Table to calculate your GPA. This document outlines the requirements of all Ontario schools. A quick rundown:

Mac: No cutoffs, just a required overall GPA of 3.0 (of course, that's not really enough)

Queen's: ~3.68 overall or 3.78 in most recent two years

Ottawa: Most recent years weighted more heavily, but complicated by several different cutoffs (Ottawa area < Ontario < non-Ontario)

Western: Similar to Queen's?

Toronto: Drops the lowest two half courses from each full-time year of undergraduate study, up to a maximum of eight (I think)

Dal requires a 3.3/4.0 GPA for Maritime applicants or 3.7/4.0 for non-Maritime, and will consider your best three out of four years of study if your degree is complete.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I have a question.

If you have an 4 year undergraduate degree already and take undergraduate 'pre-med' courses at another university full time in the year following your graduation (to prepare for the MCAT, do some prereqs etc), in what way does that count as part of your GPA? Like for a med school that does a calculation looking at your two best years, could that be one of those years potentially? Or for Ottawa for example, would that 5th year be the most heavily weighted year?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

It's always a good idea to take a look at the cutoffs from the previous year, but keep in mind that these cutoffs are based on the quality of the applicant pool. Given that an Ontario med school typically receives ~2000 applicants per year, it's usually safe to bet that the cutoffs won't vary dramatically from year to year.

I only have a 3.66 (OMSAS) GPA and received an interview at U of T. I think I might have won them over with my essay and references...

Hey, Just curious but if assuming that your wgpa was around ~3.85, wouldnt that be considered a strong gpa even though the omsas was only 3.66.

In other words, if a person has a lower omsas but a high wgpa of 3.9 and another has an omsas and wgpa of around 3.9, is there any preference given to the person with higher omsas gpa?

Hey, Just curious but if assuming that your wgpa was around ~3.85, wouldnt that be considered a strong gpa even though the omsas was only 3.66.

In other words, if a person has a lower omsas but a high wgpa of 3.9 and another has an omsas and wgpa of around 3.9, is there any preference given to the person with higher omsas gpa?

Nope, they only care about the weighted GPA.

How is wgpa different than omsas ?

• 2 weeks later...

so far this is what i've gathered for the different weighing schemes:

UT: drops 2 lowest half year courses if full course load taken throughout

Western: considers top 10 half year courses per year

Mac: considers every course taken and no weighing scheme

Anybody know about whether ottawa or queens take only top 10 courses per academic year into account?

just saw another post that says queens includes every course taken during that year.

Guest begaster

^ No on U of T.

If you are in your fourth year and have taken a full credit load every year, they will drop two half-courses (or one full-course) per year. So, six half-courses worth of marks in total. If you apply in your fifth year, it's eight half-courses.

If, though, you apply during your third year, you get no weighting formula. Likewise, if any of your years did not have a full course load, you receive no extra weight.

• 2 weeks later...
Are the 6 half courses (or 3 full) dropped from the lowest grades regardless of the year you took them or does it mean the lowest 2 half courses from each year?

Yes, can anyone answer this? I'm wondering this myself

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Yes, they are dropped regardless of they yr in which you took them.

Ok, so just to clarify one last time for me (keeping in mind I have completed all 4 years of undergrad), U of T will drop my 8 lowest half credit courses no matter which years the courses were taken? e.g. - If all 8 of my courses with lowest marks were in 1st year, they would drop those 8?

I hope this is true, because this would leave me with a much higher GPA than I was expecting.

Archived