Premed 101 Forums

GPA/MCAT cutoffs

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Based on past history, no. But it's hard to say, things change. Last year, Queen's out of the blue dropped its VR/BS/PS requirements to 9/9/9, where it had been sitting at 10/10/10 the year before (and raised WS to R). Perhaps they'll drop the WS to M and raise the requirements to 11/11/11. Who knows?

Apply. There's no reason not to.

hey guys, just looking for a quick answer.

once again in regards to UofT dropping your lowest mark. it is said this is done for every full year and i remember seeing a full year being defined as 15 credits.

in my 2nd year i had 14 credits each semester, but had a total of 5 courses. it was because of a stupid 1 yr lab course that was 2 credits/semester. i was wondering if UofT is strict on these terms. on another note in my 4th year i will have a 17 credit semester, can this make up for the 2, 14 credit semesters?

thanks

• 5 months later...
hey guys, just looking for a quick answer.

once again in regards to UofT dropping your lowest mark. it is said this is done for every full year and i remember seeing a full year being defined as 15 credits.

in my 2nd year i had 14 credits each semester, but had a total of 5 courses. it was because of a stupid 1 yr lab course that was 2 credits/semester. i was wondering if UofT is strict on these terms. on another note in my 4th year i will have a 17 credit semester, can this make up for the 2, 14 credit semesters?

thanks

Officially they are very strict about the FULL (100%) course load requirement per year in order to get the weighting formula. You can't overload on another year to compensate. You can petition to have the weighting formula applied without a full course load, but they won't even tell you if your petition was approved or not. Check out their website for more details

Hey

I was wondering what is WGPA (i know it is weighted grade point average) but how does it differ from Cgpa. Also how is WGPA calculated. Thanks for any help

the weighted part is the where some years, or in theory some courses contribute more than others. Ottawa is a great example! If you have done three years then your wGPA is

(3XGPA year three +

2XGPA year two +

1XGPA year one)/6

You can see from this that your last year counts for 50% of the wGPA, and your first is worth comparatively very little.

• 2 weeks later...
Western (for 2008 admission):

Queen's (for 2008 admission):

Meeting cutoffs usually guarantees an interview.

They didn't post them this year, although from a number of people who received interview invites and posted their stats, it was guessed that the cutoff was approximately:

BS 9, PS 9, VR 9, WS R

Total = 30?

GPA = ?

...If someone can send me more accurate numbers, I can just edit this post.

If you dont mind me asking but I thought that the Queen's cutoff is 10/10/10? I've heard from people that it might be going up to 11/11/11 soon.

If you dont mind me asking but I thought that the Queen's cutoff is 10/10/10? I've heard from people that it might be going up to 11/11/11 soon.

Queen's for 2008 interview was 9,9,9 R (~28 or 29 overall)

for 2009 interview looks like it was 9,10 (verbal) ,9 Q (31 overall)

Thanks for the info. Also, I screwed up the essay by backspacing the last word to correct a spelling error and then time ran out before I could complet writing the last word. So it was marked as incomplete. I guess I can't do anything about that now, can I?

Maybe you can email the MCAT office and tell them about your situation? Maybe request for a re-grade and tell them what your last word was supposed to be. You never know, they'll probably raise your score up to an N or O, which is much better.

Officially they are very strict about the FULL (100%) course load requirement per year in order to get the weighting formula. You can't overload on another year to compensate. You can petition to have the weighting formula applied without a full course load, but they won't even tell you if your petition was approved or not. Check out their website for more details

When they consider your course load, do they take the summer term into consideration? Because during my second year I only had 4 courses per term, but I took 2 courses in the summer, adding up to a "full 30-credit course load".

Thanks! So I guess there is no way to know ahead of time what the cutoff will for sure be right?

No.... the 9,9,9 R was out of the blue... Why drop all of the sections but raise writing in 2008.

Then this year... there were ~60% more applications than the year before.....

they responded by increasing the interviews by ~50%

and the overall score went up... but writing sample went down... and I was able to get an interview with a lower 2 year G.P.A. than anyone had reported in 2008.

So go figure?

I thought the 2 year GPA last year plummeted to 3.68 (= cGPA)? Or am I imagining things?

As far as it was confirmed on here a 3.76 was the lowest to report for 2 year gpa.... and I think the lowest cGPA was 3.69...

It could have very well have gone lower.... just no one that reported...

Probably the same reason that of the 15 or so people that posted an acceptance like 80% of them have NSERC haha.... Response bias most likely plays a role on these boards...

Haha me... I'm even more proud of getting by with the lowest stats possible....

As far as it was confirmed on here a 3.76 was the lowest to report for 2 year gpa.... and I think the lowest cGPA was 3.69...

It could have very well have gone lower.... just no one that reported...

Probably the same reason that of the 15 or so people that posted an acceptance like 80% of them have NSERC haha.... Response bias most likely plays a role on these boards...

Haha me... I'm even more proud of getting by with the lowest stats possible....

Yes, I do imagine that we aren't seeing some of the "less impressive" interview/admissions stats. I imagine that being a super keener, having excellent stats, and compulsively checking online premed forums are all correlated to some extent. ;)

Archived