Premed 101 Forums

waitlist info?

I am starting to think a lot of the movement has happened already since Calgary is using a rolling wait list. I am going to keep on hoping but I also have to decide if I want to go to Ireland in the fall....

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I went in to the office today and I was told that while the OOP waitlist movement is like a rabbit, the IP waitlist is like a turtle.

I believe that this description fits for most years - what I'd like to know is if the IP list is moving slower than usual... not that any of that info will really help get settled. without knowing what tier we're in - low, middle, high - likely/less likely/unlikely to be called off the list based on years past - it's very hard to resolve and energize for the path options that are definites. the waitlist at calgary remains a 'what if' - not 'likely', 'unlikely'. even those are not definites but they start to allow mobilization of energy in the direction that will shortly be definite anyways. for instance, if i am actually in a 'likely' category right now, i have made so little plans regarding coming back home to canada, because i have had to focus on making the plans for what is definitely on the table here. if i am in an 'unlikely' category right now, knowing that could help me steel my resolve to go through what will be quite a harrowing path of financial insecurity and hustling for funding sources over the next several years. i hope that calgary will consider the cost-benefit of giving waiting list folks a little more info on where they stand. Whether less hazy or not, I do have my heart set on Calgary - the possibility of clinical research, clinical foundation to the knowledge... I still have my hopes high.

Last year they had a fairly large waiting list and I suspect it would no different this year (I knew nine people who were interviewed. Two were accepted on May 15, the other seven were waitlisted and only one of those on the wait-list was accepted by the U of C). I think I know why they decide to keep such a large pool of wait-listers.

They nearly ran out of wait-listers a few years back (I heard this from a few students who were on the ad com back then. We are looking at 2006). Why? The government increased its funding to medical schools after the interviews had taken place. This resulted in an increased capacity for 25 more students. In order to avoid this last year, they increased the wait-list pool. They have probably done the same this year in anticipation of last minute increase in seats.

Last year they had a fairly large waiting list and I suspect it would no different this year (I knew nine people who were interviewed. Two were accepted on May 15, the other seven were waitlisted and only one of those on the wait-list was accepted by the U of C). I think I know why they decide to keep such a large pool of wait-listers.

They nearly ran out of wait-listers a few years back (I heard this from a few students who were on the ad com back then. We are looking at 2006). Why? The government increased its funding to medical schools after the interviews had taken place. This resulted in an increased capacity for 25 more students. In order to avoid this last year, they increased the wait-list pool. They have probably done the same this year in anticipation of last minute increase in seats.

Yes, I believe that you're right about waitlists being generally larger for reasons that include the one you've stated. Hopefully that means that schools will consider notifying applicants about where they are on the waitlist. If I am in the bottom third, I know that I likely won't be going unless there's a government announcement. If I am in the upper third, I can plan accordingly.

I am sure a fair number of people share the same sentiments. I really don't see a problem with the school mentioning how many applicants are wait-listed. It gives a little more meaning to being wait-listed I suppose. Best of luck though Siobhansiobans.

I remember during the interview that the Admissions Committee was anticipating an increase in spots for entry in 2008. I think they said that if this was the case, we would find out in mid June. Does anyone else also remeber this as the approximate date, or know what date precisely we might expect news to be announced?

UofA had a 12 seat increase, announced in May... I wonder if that affects how many/if any seats would be avail. to offer UofC... also based on the announcement in Sept 2007, I think Calgary has a planned increase of 10 per year... so this year's incoming should be 135... that's what's been planned for so far, right?

actually, the article said that the 135 number started last year, and that accords with the faculty of med association admissions stats publication. so the question would be whether the seat number rose again to 145 for this coming fall... is that the number that was quoted this year? or is that the potential announcement?

http://www.ucalgary.ca/news/september2007/medicine-nursing-funding

http://www.afmc.ca/publications-admission-2008-e.php

i've heard the 135 number tossed around a number of times, including by Dr. Lemay.

I believe the current class is 150 (2010 class), but 135 are quota spots, and the other 15 are non-quota spots (native, rural, etc).

it sounded like this year would be the same

i've heard the 135 number tossed around a number of times, including by Dr. Lemay.

I believe the current class is 150 (2010 class), but 135 are quota spots, and the other 15 are non-quota spots (native, rural, etc).

it sounded like this year would be the same

What?! :eek: :eek: :eek: I thought they were together with the 135! Are people applied in both pools if they meet the requirements of both pools?

I don't believe U of C has any non-quota seats... there's noting in the application manual for rural applicants, and for aboriginal, all it says is:

"Canadian applicants identifying themselves as Aboriginal will be considered under the same criterion pertaining to grade point average as are those who are residents of Alberta. All self-identified Aboriginal applicants who meet this cut-off will be invited for interview."

My guess is that the 15 extra seats (#'s 136-150) cover deferred matriculants from previous years, MAYBE aboriginal (although i doubt it since it sounds like the only accomodation aboriginal apps get is auto-interview), and seats that are contracted by foreign governments (see: http://www.afmc.ca/pdf/2008_admissions_book.pdf)

George is absolutely right. An additional comment, the U of C's policy of guaranteed interview for self-declared Aboriginals (as long as they meet the best 2 year GPA of 3.2 and have a MCAT under their belt) is a joke. Since the U of C considers the applicant's entire file, including the interview score, these applicants are often relegated to the bottom of the list. It makes no sense (something that the U of C Admissions office admits themselves) to interview students who marginally satisfy this criteria since they are then ranked with the rest of the students (and here the pre-interview scores come into play). These students are further mislead since they are automatically relegated to the waitlist (once interviewed)- it is rather misleading. The faculty should be honest and direct about their policy towards aboriginal students instead of this hazy process. Either have the quota system or don't have it. My fiance', who is from Enoch, applied two years ago had a 3.30 and 3.34 best two years GPA- received an interview and was waitlisted. At the end she discovered that she was nearly 10 points below the average score of those on the waitlist. When she asked how she made the wait-list if she was so far behind- the office told her that she be better off applying to the schools that have a quota system instead of the pseudo-system that they have at the U of C.

I am not saying that the U of C does not have any aboriginal students in their medical classes, it does. But they need to reform their admissions criteria for Aboriginal students.

i called them today to ask that...right now, the scores are only available for people rejected pre-interview...they told me that the scores for those who were accepted and i would think waitlisted as well would be up within a month...there will be a post on the UofC admissions site when they are up...not sure if the avg scores will be made available...

Archived