Premed 101 Forums

waitlist info?

hmm...I recall talking to one of the exec members of the 2010 class and they had mentioned the quota spots. maybe I and they are mistaken then.

although, I could swear I read that elsewhere too...no idea though.

thanks for the clarification.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only real quota that I'm familiar with is that 85% of the seats in any given class must go to Albertans, as per the provincial funding formula.

As an aside, a number of us recently had an interesting random conversation with the Dean of Admissions regarding other types of med school entry quotas (it all started with a discussion of affirmative action policies in the States), and he was very interested to hear our thoughts and ideas. So here's another plug for the U of C admin and faculty -they really do show an interest in students and engage in discussion with us above and beyond the academics. :)

Yes, we were all part of that dialogue this year in the question we answered as part of our application essay. I'm glad to hear that UofC includes students in the institutional dialogue. Although undergraduate programmes do not often do this in a broad way, graduate programmes and professional programmes are often a bit of a cultural shift for students who have not experienced that atmospheric shift before.

Any news of waitlist offers at the end of this week?

I was accepted off the waitlist today. I got the email at 3:42 pm.

I just finished my third year towards a BSc in biological sciences. My GPA was 3.94 first year and 4.00 second year.

For the MCAT I got 32R (10, 10, 12).

Extracurriculars: Fine arts, volunteering at hospital, orientation week stuff, tutoring, student advisory groups...but no research.

Interview and essay: Definately had some "bad" MMI stations...not too sure overall how it went.

I applied to the U of C and U of A. I was waitlisted by both, then got accepted by U of A on June 2.

I have accepted U of A's offer...probably will sleep on this though...but I am 99.999879% I will be declining U of C's offer!

Hey, I was wondering if any ppl who recently got off the waitlist at Calgary as 4th year in-province applicants would mind posting their total admissions score. Just noticed that if you click on the link on the admissions page for Calgary, and type in your login name/password, you can see your average scores. The link on the webpage still says "For people who were not invited to interview..." but click on it anyway. Thx :) :)

i wonder why they only publish the scores for waitlisters...i was accepted on may 15th and it just says:

You are on the original list, scores to be release after first day of medical school on August.

i kinda wanna know what my scores were lol

They must disadvantage 2/3 years somehow then, because the stats show a significantly lower number of 2/3 years compared to 4th years. I'd hardly believe it's due to an extra year of maturity/EC's, especially with some of the 3rd years posting their 3.95 GPA's + 38 MCAT's who got waitlisted, unless they bombed their interview.

I think the way they "disadvantage" 2/3rd years is marking them lower on the academic portion of the application.

U of C does not just plug GPA's into a magic formula...they take into account how many years (do you have your BSc/BA/BKin? Masters? PhD? no degree?). So even if you are a 2/3 year with rock-star marks (ie 4.00)...you may NOT score 100% on the academic weighing.

saberial asked me how i did the calculations. here's what i think about IP applicants:

I'm counting 95% as max limit for all sections arbitrarily. The minimum scores that I assigned are educated guesses except for pre interview minimum.

pre interview score range = 27.42 to 38 (95% pre)

essay score range = 3 to 9.5

interview score range = 20 to 45

minimum score = 50.42

maximum score = 92.50

difference = 42.08

IP interviewees =~ 300

Each applicant is separated by 42.08/300 = 0.14

What separates me from goodolddays is about 2.3 so there are 2.3/0.14 = 16 people between me and goodolddays.

But this is assuming an even distribution, which is not true. In reality, the ranges of scores for each section are probably more narrow and there's probably a bell curve of scores. We're likely at the top of the bell. So there's definitely many more than 16. I would say as many as 30-40?

Archived