Premed 101 Forums

waitlist info?

Hi there,

Does anyone have info on

when the bulk of the early movement happens

when our chances precipitously drop off

what the size of the waitlist is

what kind of movement the waitlist has seen in recent years

Anyone who is a current waitlister/fellow applicant this cycle/student/around last year for these kinds of discussions, this would be really helpful...

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They won't say.

I'm guessing late July.

They won't say.

what kind of movement the waitlist has seen in recent years.

They won't say.

----------

ok here's a useful one:

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25770&page=2&highlight=calgary%2C+waitlist

not sure how to link that properly... i'm old.

what i'd have to add to that discussion though is that usually first round of acceptances include a 'buffer' with over-accepted to account for a safe estimate of numbers who will decline the offer.

here's some info to get your brains calculating: I got accepted off the OOP waitlist on ~June 7-8 and I was 12th out of 20 eventual spaces. Also, people were getting letters up until the week before Aug 1st

No info on IP applicants I guess?..

The general educated guess is that the IP waitlist is the size of the IP pool (OOP is a different story). One would expect that the waitlist moves the greatest initially as students select alternate schools. Each year fluctuates greatly but assume anywhere from 30-50 students will get in off the waitlist. I don't know the numbers for this year, but if you consider around ~320 IP interviewee's, 106 IP straight up acceptances, 106 waitlist spots, that totals about 150 overall invites.

i feel ya! i'm on two waitlists as well, calgary would be my top choice. but this year i've been accepted to a school in the states. i'm not sure if i'll be able to go yet, because i may not be able to find the way financially. that would really be upsetting, to finally have an acceptance that i can't use. the most wonderful would be to get into canada, most most wonderful, to calgary. i really feel that way.... so i'm hurtin' a bit right now. very stressed about finances. if you are young, or if this is your first cycle, don't give up! well, you may be in anyways soon, but don't give up! interviews this year bodes very well. and if you have a background that can give you an easy family cosigner, investigate the states, being competitive for waitlists in canada means the states should be no problem. if you are thinking the states, go fill out their ap now - it opened yesterday, they have a central one, and their admissions down there is rolling, which means to get stuff in within a few weeks from now...or whatever you're investigating, just keep at it. just know that when i started trying for med as a career change i heard of a person who tried seven times for a canadian school and got it. it turns out i've done a special masters programme in the states this year, in year five - o.k. year one was mac only with no sciences and now mcat... but year five. i just hope this isn't the year i finally got in but can't go because of money. anyway - keep on! and i'm with you on the two waitlists...

Late May, first 2 weeks of June.

It all depends on how you define "precipitously". Your chances fall by late June. Usually in mid-July, there's an increase in activity. Otherwise, there's a slow stream.

Your chances will probably become really bad if you don't have an offer by July 30.

I wish I knew.

what kind of movement the waitlist has seen in recent years

This information isn't released, so we can't really know. There is movement, probably in the range of 40-70 students are sifted through the waitlist. But it could be higher.

I just got in off of the wait-list and I know of five others (directly and indirectly). We are all IP. The IP list is most definitely moving.

Congrats and thanks for the info!

Did you get called or emailed first?

Glad to hear that the waitlist is moving. I'm waitlisted as OOP, and like everyone I have no clue where I'm situated on that list. Does anyone know if every OOP interviewed but not initially offered an acceptance is waitlisted? Or are some OOP rejected post-interview? If so, any idea how long the waiting list is? THANKS!

Hey,

So this is my first time posting, but I have been reading these forums for a while. I thought I would add my 2 cents.

I got accepted off the wait-list and I am IP.

So the wait list is def moving, and there is hope!

Good luck to everyone!

Hi!

Congratulations to those that got in off the waitlist! Did you folks get an e-mail or a phone call or both? And how long did you have to respond to the offer?

Thanks!

Thanks!

I received an email only, no phone call.

It said I have 7 business days to respond.

(I went the next day to drop off the deposit!)

Archived