Premed 101 Forums

waitlist info?

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So

pre-interview - 29.15

interview - 33.56 (exact same score as tooty - tooty does this mean anything in terms of standard deviations, that such strange scores would be exactly the same? or just x amount of interviews averaged?)

essay - 7.35

total - 70.06

REQUEST - for each person getting off the waitlist, can you say your score, so that we can know when things are getting closer to us???

Are we ranked according to only the total score? Or would it matter what section we did best on?

My total score is 68.39 and I am still on waitlist. BTW, I contacted the Admissions Office today and she said that there should be a lot of waitlist movement this week. She also said that the IP list moves faster than the OOP list.

Pre-interview: 32.2

Interview: 29.89

Essay: 6.3

Total: 68.39

3rd year IP

I was rejected (3rd year IP) with:

Pre-interview: 30.9

Interveiw: 29.56 (LOL)

Essay: 5.55 (LOLx2)

= 66.01

I imagine if you're too close to my score, I'd be worried.

It gives me some comfort knowing that I lost all my marks based on my interview which I didn't pre for more than an hour for, not because they hate my EC's.

Goodluck waitlisters.

Anyone else find it interesting that of the ten people who have reported their pre-interview scores (fine, 10 isn't particularly significant statistically, but whatever), the range is a mere 28.78 - 30.9 /40 (or 2.12 points out of the 100 that determine admissions rank)

the scores we're seeing right now are mostly of folks who got on the waitlist this year. so all the people who got outright acceptances do not get represented, and all the people who were rejected do not get represented. makes sense that if this is a normal curve, there was very little difference. not sure what the s.d. would be on this one, but 68%, remember, cluster around 1 s.d. either way.

well, no they don't represent everyone, but they do represent anyone interviewed (ie. those in the upper 20% of the curve pre-interview)

i guess my only obersvations are that

1. most of those interviewed fall within a fairly narrow range of scores (makes sense considering the shape of a bell - most people should be expected to be clustered near the "lower" portion of the top 20%)

2. given (1), interview-day performance was an extremely important deciding factor (especially when each essay/room was worth twiceish the number of points as the entire range of pre-I scores we've seen posted so far)

Are we ranked according to only the total score? Or would it matter what section we did best on?

My total score is 68.39 and I am still on waitlist. BTW, I contacted the Admissions Office today and she said that there should be a lot of waitlist movement this week. She also said that the IP list moves faster than the OOP list.

Pre-interview: 32.2

Interview: 29.89

Essay: 6.3

Total: 68.39

3rd year IP

Premed 03,

My wife called in earlier today and the office told her the exact opposite (the OOP moves faster and the IP list is stagnating). My wife is at 68.28. Sucks!!!

well, no they don't represent everyone, but they do represent anyone interviewed (ie. those in the upper 20% of the curve pre-interview)

i guess my only obersvations are that

1. most of those interviewed fall within a fairly narrow range of scores (makes sense considering the shape of a bell - most people should be expected to be clustered near the "lower" portion of the top 20%)

2. given (1), interview-day performance was an extremely important deciding factor (especially when each essay/room was worth twiceish the number of points as the entire range of pre-I scores we've seen posted so far)

Hi George - we don't really know what kind of distribution things follow - normal, Gaussian. If it were a normal distribution, 2.5% is above 2 standard deviations, 13.5% is within the 1 standard deviation going upwards - that's already 16%, and then the last 4% is where the big hump and clustering would begin. So there was likely a big range of pre-interview scores.

I think you're right, that at the cutoff mark, ultimately 0.01% made the differnece, and there was a bit of a cluster around there, and after that, like lucky you, it was anyone's game for the 60% post-interview....

I am now in that little cluster that will likely be around the cutoff for acceptance, which of course will once again come down to 0.01%, and here's to hoping that I and all of us make it!

George - you did well!

The process is a ranking process, and I hear your point that in ranks we can sometimes forget how close many of us resemble each other's scores.

I for one am thinking of simple little things I could have done to get a point or two extra.

I think the best we can do right now is a bit of Bayesian updating as the acceptances keep coming, and we can see how they scores are progressing. It's been exciting having this chatter on the list over the last few days.

Any of you sexy people know if they are increasing the enrollment for the this class? I have been hearing (mostly unqualified) that they are boosting the enrollment to close to 160. Mostly by allocating the 15 some seats they have for international students to IP students.

Homer J:

All I know is that at my interview day, Dr. Lemay said that if the class size was being increased, we'd probably hear before the school did, mainly on account of the $telmach government announcing it publicly.

More generally, I'm curious about how any class size increase would be possible given what they wrote in their accrediation self-study:

"The Class of 2010 has 152 students, which is the maximum capacity of the two current theatres used for lectures ... Any future class expansions will require major building renovations to accommodate students. The only remaining large theatre, the Libin (320 seats) is unsuitable for classes as it has seating without writing tablets, provides no electrical outlets, and the acoustics and visual aids are suboptimal." (source: here)

Premed 03,

My wife called in earlier today and the office told her the exact opposite (the OOP moves faster and the IP list is stagnating). My wife is at 68.28. Sucks!!!

I know... it seems strange. She said that the IP list goes faster, and I asked her to confirm what I understood, and she did. I was surprised when she said that because someone had posted previously that the OOP list is like a rabbit and the IP like a turtle. So maybe she got the two lists confused?

Ultimately, it doesn't really matter because I still don't know if I'll get off the list.

Any of you sexy people know if they are increasing the enrollment for the this class? I have been hearing (mostly unqualified) that they are boosting the enrollment to close to 160. Mostly by allocating the 15 some seats they have for international students to IP students.

When I talked to the Admissions Office yesterday, I was told that the government had not yet told U of C to increase its class size, so U of C must wait for the go-ahead from the government before proceeding. I suggest we all flood the gov't with e-mails requesting that U of C increase its class size :P

Also, I asked if the new spots would go to specific groups of people or to the next people on the ranked wait list. She was very surprised to hear the idea that the new spots would only go to certain groups, and assured me that they would simply go down the waitlist.

The extra capacity may be created by the reallocation of seats. Currently, a number of seats are reserved for foreign students.

makes sense... but that would still only happen with government funding, given that right now those int'l seats aren't subsidized

Archived