Premed 101 Forums

Computer Requirements

In the section on "Financing Your Queen's Education", there is a remark about a computer requirement.

Medical students may be required or encouraged to have access to a personal computer. If leasing a computer from Queen's, you should budget approximately $1000-$1500 per year.

http://www.queensu.ca/registrar/awards/pdfs/BrochureMedicine08-0051.pdf

What are the computer requirements? Do we just need to be able to access our notes, and print them out? Or, are there other requirements? I'm trying to figure out whether I need to replace my laptop before the fall. Do we need to bring our computer to school, or just have access to a computer and good printer at home?

Regarding the printer - how much printing will we be doing? Are most of our notes black and white or full colour? Are notes made available before each section? Or, do we need to print them out each night before coming to class the next day?

Thanks for your help.

Elaine

Hey Elaine,

Congrats on getting in!!

Any old computer should be fine and no, we don't need to bring our computers to class (if anything, it's more of a distraction because you are tempted to check your emails while you are in class). You just need a computer that has PowerPoint and Acrobat so you can print and view notes, and has Quicktime/Media Player to watch the clinical skills video.

And yeah... there are a lot of notes to print out. (This is an extreme example, but in Infectious Diseases, we had this one doctor who gave us 32 pages of notes... single spaced, typed for a 2 hour session.) I would recommend a laser printer if you are planning on upgrading to keep down the cartridge costs.

It seems about half the class uses a laptop in class. The other half prints the notes before class.

If you're going to print I would highly recommend a laser printer, because there is a lot to print. Say on average each lecture is 60 powerpoint slides, even double sided and six slides per page that's 5 pages for one lecture. So 20-25 pages per day is fairly average I would estimate.

I use my old but reliable computer at home. I didn't buy a new laptop, I bought a really nice printer instead. For me it was definitely the right decision because I hate reading notes off a computer.

I agree with everyone here with the recommendation not to go out and buy a shiny new computer. You can definitely get away with having one at home if your current computer is a desktop (or monstrous laptop). There are computers available just a floor up in the library if you need an email check or something during classes.

I'd just like to make an addendum to the printer recommendations: yes, go laser (colour isn't necessary), and make sure it has an automatic duplex function. I cringe when I think how long I spent over 2.5 terms manually feeding printed lecture notes to my printer so they would be double-sided.

Although I agree you don't need a new computer or laptop to get by at Queen's, I will remark that a growing number of people are using them in our class. Although not a requirement, a laptop is useful in class IF you can keep it from being a distraction. Professors change/post notes at the last minute, and sometimes you want to look up something that you are unclear about. Having said that, it certainly isn't a requirement. An old computer at home with office will certainly suffice.

Is a colour laser recommended over a black and white printer? With colour laser printers coming down in cost, I'm considering going that route. However, if there really aren't any colour slides, I may just stick with black and white.

What about the duplexer? Are there enough slides to print that I will regret only being able to single-side my print-outs?

Are there usually changes made the day of the lecture? Or, if I were to wait until the night before each lecture to print slides, should I have the most up to date version? I had originally debated buying a tablet, and using that for my notes. However, I believe that I will become too distracted with checking e-mail, etc. rather than listening to the lecture...

Thanks for the info!

Elaine

Is a colour laser recommended over a black and white printer? With colour laser printers coming down in cost, I'm considering going that route. However, if there really aren't any colour slides, I may just stick with black and white.

What about the duplexer? Are there enough slides to print that I will regret only being able to single-side my print-outs?

Are there usually changes made the day of the lecture? Or, if I were to wait until the night before each lecture to print slides, should I have the most up to date version? I had originally debated buying a tablet, and using that for my notes. However, I believe that I will become too distracted with checking e-mail, etc. rather than listening to the lecture...

Thanks for the info!

Elaine

1) Black and White is fine. VERY rarely would you want the color reproduced.

2) There can be a LOT of slides.

3) You SHOULD have the most up to date lectures, but profs often make last minute changes, or don't even post them until the last minute (it has happened that they were posted while the lecture was going.)

If you think you'd get distracted, then yeah, a laptop/tablet isn't a great idea, but only you can make that decision. I'll be honest, I am glad I can retreat to ESPN.com, or google news during many lectures.

I printed in only black and white, definitely good enough for me.

You'll definitely want to print on both sides of the paper. Whether your printer does it automatically or you have to manually flip it over halfway is a matter of convenience I suppose.

I always printed the notes the night before. Sometimes I got screwed when the notes were changed last minute, but it doesn't happen too often. It wasn't too much of an issue.

Archived