Premed 101 Forums

For those of us still waiting....

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I doubt blatant arrogance typically sits well with patients... Lets maybe try to keep this conversation civil, okay? You may have a difference of opinion with Alastriss, but he is free to discuss this topic and has the right to not have medical students pull rank and be condescending simply because they are a few years more advanced in their training.

Hey buddy, I'm gonna be a clerk, you're just entering 1st so I think you should shut it.

Just kidding.

Hey buddy, I'm gonna be a clerk, you're just entering 1st so I think you should shut it.

Just kidding.

Haha - well, I have graduate level scientific training so I'm not intimidated ;).

Anyways, I do apologize for the above comment, but I think the tone he used was a little uncalled for. I know this is potentially an emotionally charged topic for some people, but I think we should all just try and show respect for others and their opinions.

I doubt blatant arrogance typically sits well with patients... Lets maybe try to keep this conversation civil, okay? You may have a difference of opinion with Alastriss, but he is free to discuss this topic and has the right to not have medical students pull rank and be condescending simply because they are a few years more advanced in their training.

Alastriss and I have discussed these ideas through private means.

BTW, where - in any of my posts - did I say I was in medical school?

Alastriss and I have discussed these ideas through private means.

BTW, where - in any of my posts - did I say I was in medical school?

Fair enough, if you guys have settled the issue then I apologize and will remove my comment. I guess I must've misinterpreted something you said in one of your posts in this thread as being an indication that you're currently in medical school. Anyways, good that the issue is resolved - lets try and keep this all civil if the conversation continues.

I really didn't want it to come to an issue that needed something such as a resolution; this implies that it was a conflict. I was just expressing my opinion and an idea, taking small hops forward. In the end, every big city premed who has compassion should agree with the measures that the country is taking to provide to underserviced areas. Sure it sucks for us, but we ought not to have it any other way - there are some areas that BADLY need health care and simply don't have it. My ideas are to improve the system so we can efficiently recruit those students who have more potential for rural medicine. Increasing the efficiently can mean two things for city premeds:

Consider the following model.

Selection process A: of 80 SWOMEN students accepted, 50 of them ultimately go into rural medicine

Selection process B (a more in depth analysis of applicants): of 80 swomen students accepted, 60 go into rural medicine.

With selection process B, you can do a few things:

1) You can either cut down on swomen seats available because you are achieving the same number using a more efficient system. This could have great short term gain for non-swomen applicants

2) You can keep the number the same and increase the number of rural physicians. This would have a long term gain on non-swomen applicants (in the long run the rural healthcare crisis is averted quicker, and the pressure to recruit more rural physicians lessens)

3) Have a combination of 1 and 2. Perhaps those seats can go to non-swomen applicants who have demonstrated some sort of commitment to rural medicine.

If we can take a more constructive approach to this thread, how does everyone feel about ROS (Return of Service) conditions on med school acceptances? is that what NOSM is doing?

Another side question for those who know the answer:

I never understood this, so I am very curious. I know at the end of Carms there are vacant seats (even after the second round). What I don't understand why they don't fill them up. I was told by upper years that if programs don't like you then they simply won't take you - but is that a luxury we can afford when we are in dire need of physicians?

sheena, I agree with many things you posted. However, everyone I know going into medicine, does have an idea of where they want to practice. You have no image in your mind? None? Which raises the point. Does the location of where you do your residency have an effect? That would tie into my other point.

WTF are you talking about? lol - your argument doesn't even make sense. We are talking about increasing access in the SWOMEN region VS. potentially 50 more happy non-SWOMEN students

Point stands. You have a rural community that is underserviced by 2000. And an urban population that has 2000 underserviced, what should happen?

Once again, how does the first paragraph relate to the second? Regardless, simply because the GTA provides a significant portion of the resources in Ontario doesn't justify that they be served to a greater extent than the rest of the province. Both federal and provincial governments (across Canada) have always participated in regional equilization (SEE Provincial Equilization Regimes, etc. etc. etc.). This is a fundamental cornerstone that governments in Canada function upon. Your argument suggests that regions that contribute little fiscally do not have the same rights as richer, more urbanized areas.

I don't know how to respond to you. Because you combined the two paragraphs. I made two paragraphs, cause they were two separate thoughts. Further, I am fully aware how macroeconomics, labour and industrial economics works, please don't waste your time there.

So - healthcare is crumbling, so we should save the rich, and let to poor die off? Good argument. Really.

Useless? See your post.

Same as above, its when the urban population is suffering just as much as the rural, what should happen? Another thing, it's a little naive to think the rural people are poorer and the urban are richer. (Remember, suburban is different, I feel like I have to point that out). Your eyes also somehow didn't see the telehealth argument being a fix for both populations.

As for who asked, I'm not really on any side of the argument, the argument is rather useless, because in my opinion where people stay after residency is what counts, not medical school.

sheena, I agree with many things you posted. However, everyone I know going into medicine, does have an idea of where they want to practice. You have no image in your mind? None? Which raises the point. Does the location of where you do your residency have an effect? That would tie into my other point.

I have some idea of where I'd be happy living, but no definitive "favorite" city or place where I feel I really want to be, no. I'm pretty much open to anywhere. (I grew up in Sarnia- would never live there again, and I don't particularly care for London, but wouldn't really want to live in the GTA... I guess I just haven't found somewhere I can really picture myself living). My family is scattered all over the country at this point, so that's not a factor. I guess the main thing though, is that you cannot predict for certain where you will go for residency, where your spouse/ SO will end up working, etc. There are so many factors that will influence where one works that I could never make it a "plan" to practice somewhere.

Same as above, its when the urban population is suffering just as much as the rural, what should happen?

Hey, I think that in fact rural populations are much worse off than urban populations. I can't remember the statistic offhand, but 20% of the population is living in rural areas, but only 9% of physicians practicing are servicing those areas or something like that.

• 4 months later...

lol totally missed the boat on this exciting thread,

i like when people dig these things up

read a lot about accepting students from london high schools some being against it.

I think a lot of people miss an important logistical point about including london proper high schools in swomen, for instance i went to a high school in london proper but it was fed by many rural areas around the city who bussed 30-40 minutes to get there, such is the same for many other high schools in london proper.

so i mean strictly from a resource point of view it would be difficult to draw a line in the sand for which hs to included and which to drop, that being said i suppose they could just look at addresses, clearly they don't because what they are really trying to do isin't solely rural medicine it's increasing care to all of SW Ontario

It's a good point.

Of the friends I've made here that were Londoner's to being with there are several that live in Delaware, Komoka, Arva and the such and were bussed it or drove to schools on the periphery of the actual city...

By no means a representative sample on my part... but definitely some anecdotal evidence that agrees with your point.

Archived