Premed 101 Forums

For those of us still waiting....

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the poll is skewed, because the people who are likely to be in this section of the forum are more interested in UWO. Either people who prefer it, or are waitlisted and waiting to see more info....

I've never heard of someone on the forum saying they were rejected... I'm not sure what to think of that piece of information...

Hey guys, I'm waitlisted at Western for the second time as well. All we can all do is try and keep positive about our chances and see what happens. I'm kinda hoping that maybe the waitlist will move a little bit extra this year following the email incident, but who knows.

if u read what ploughboy wrote, i cant seem to find it now, (forgive me if it were another school), but he said that a few do get rejections, but very few if 2 people said the interviewee was incompatiable for medicine...and someone posted as well that they either received an email stating, or on the answering machine that acceptances, waitlists and rejections were sent out, so i think its safe to assume very few rejections were sent out.

I can confirm that very few people are rejected. If you do get rejected, it means that at least 2/3 of your interview panel deemed you unsuitable for medicine. I would really reflect on this if you were rejected.

Otherwise, waiting sucks.... sorry.. but hang in there.

waitlisted at uwo, first time applicant...

Rumour is, from well researched sources i guess, they dont waitlist more people than they can admit, so at western around 150, which leaves 150 to be rejected (hard to see that on these threads because people rejected are not likely to brag too much about it are they). Somewhere like UofT, yes, everyone is waitlisted because they have 200 spots and interview 400 people.

Wouldnt make much sense to waitlist everyone, what advantage does a school have in giving someone they have no intention of letting in the hope that they might, they just need to cover their own ass in case everyone declines their offer, which has never happened im pretty sure lol

waitlisted at uwo, first time applicant...

Rumour is, from well researched sources i guess, they dont waitlist more people than they can admit, so at western around 150, which leaves 150 to be rejected (hard to see that on these threads because people rejected are not likely to brag too much about it are they). Somewhere like UofT, yes, everyone is waitlisted because they have 200 spots and interview 400 people.

Wouldnt make much sense to waitlist everyone, what advantage does a school have in giving someone they have no intention of letting in the hope that they might, they just need to cover their own ass in case everyone declines their offer, which has never happened im pretty sure lol

Schools handle waitlists and rejections differently. Queen's and Mac have exhausted their waitlists, admitting students previously rejected. That is probably one reason uOttawa has both the good and bad waitlist.

In the end, I suppose it doesn't really matter. Wait until the next round of acceptances so go (in two weeks, I think - but can't say for sure) and if you don't hear by then, you most likely won't.. it would be prudent to start figuring out your plan B.

I think people in this thread are mixing up two separate things: 1) being rejected and 2) not getting accepted

Western flat-out *rejects* very few applicants post-interview. Everybody else is either accepted or put on the waitlist, which maybe you should think of as a "if we could take more people, we'd like to have you here" list. If you're waitlisted, it's not that UWO has "no intention" of letting you in. They just don't have a seat for you, and if a space opens up and you're next on the list you'll be getting a phone call.

Since many applicants receive multiple admission offers, and some of them foolishly decide not to come to Western (elaine, I'm looking at you...) it makes a great deal of sense for the school to have a long waitlist. In the past at least one Ontario school has been in the embarrassing position of exhausting their waitlist prior to filling the class, which is why waitlists tend to be deeper now than in the past.

I realize that from the point of view of the applicant who's still sitting on the waitlist in August that being waitlisted is functionally equivalent to being rejected. But for applicants near the top of the waitlist there's a huge difference between "waitlisted" and "rejected."

Everybody who didn't get a first-round offer should take a deep breath. The world hasn't ended just yet, and there will be lots of movement on the waitlist.

Waiting sucks, I know. I didn't get in until July... :rolleyes:

i thought i remembered reading on these boards that maybe queens(??) (can't remember) actually did go through their whole waitlist one year a few years back (as someone said above).

As far as I have heard, and as other people have said in this forum, that the only rejections are people who are deemed unsuitable for medicine by 2 out of 3 of the interviewers, which i doubt happens often as I would think that most normal interviewers wouldn't think they could actually judge whether or not the person will ever be ready for medicine, let alone 2 out of 3 in one interview.

I actually think the places with the good/bad waitlist like ottawa, or places where they indicate the quartile you're in or whatever are the best way to go, but obviously that's from the perspective of an applicant. The schools themselves very possibly may not want the public or medical community to know how deep into their waitlist they go each year. If one school was known as having to go very deep, it might reflect bad on the school itself and influence people's decisions to go there if given the option.

Archived