Premed 101 Forums

For those of us still waiting....

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the schools SWOMEN initiative is a good one.... as long as the statistics supporting it are accurate.....

however on an individual basis I've made lots of friends from London that can't wait to get out so to speak and myself have lived here permanently for 5 years.. my girlfriend and i have an apartment... that would be a house if I had any certainty that I would be able to stay in london....

However I won't get SWOMEN consideration....

And because of it I'm rewriting a 31 R (11,11,9) this summer instead of a number of other things I could be doing.

I like London, would love to stay here, and will certainly try my best to get in... It's just a shame that as someone who would legitimately like the be a London doctor/resident I'm not afforded the benefits as someone who went to high school here.

To sound like a broken record, I also dropped into the admissions office today and they said calls will start going out next week as they were still trying to figure out the number of people accepted from the first round of offers... I also got the impression, from the lady I talked to, she had not been on the medicine committee before and wasnt sure how it had worked in the past. New people running things up there might be the reason things have ran less than smoothly this year, but who knows

I think the schools SWOMEN initiative is a good one.... as long as the statistics supporting it are accurate.....

however on an individual basis I've made lots of friends from London that can't wait to get out so to speak and myself have lived here permanently for 5 years.. my girlfriend and i have an apartment... that would be a house if I had any certainty that I would be able to stay in london....

However I won't get SWOMEN consideration....

And because of it I'm rewriting a 31 R (11,11,9) this summer instead of a number of other things I could be doing.

I like London, would love to stay here, and will certainly try my best to get in... It's just a shame that as someone who would legitimately like the be a London doctor/resident I'm not afforded the benefits as someone who went to high school here.

The swomen initiative is nothing but a band-aid on a big wound on more than one level. I think they are too lazy to make like UT and look at each applicant holistically. Some of us are interested in practicing rural medicine but are not from swomen, and some of are, but not interested in rural and ride the advantage anyways what's the difference? Mommy and daddy made different choices.

I just think WAY too many med schools are being devoted to rural medicine (NOSM, UMAN, even UBC, UWO, some schools out east i think as well) that its just NOT the best solution to improve rural care to dump all your resources in that alley. There are so many other things: taking more advantage of IMGs, helping Urban doctors transition to rural life, that need to be done as well.

Stupid GTA.

The swomen initiative is nothing but a band-aid on a big wound on more than one level. I think they are too lazy to make like UT and look at each applicant holistically. Some of us are interested in practicing rural medicine but are not from swomen, and some of are, but not interested in rural and ride the advantage anyways what's the difference? Mommy and daddy made different choices.

I just think WAY too many med schools are being devoted to rural medicine (NOSM, UMAN, even UBC, UWO, some schools out east i think as well) that its just NOT the best solution to improve rural care to dump all your resources in that alley. There are so many other things: taking more advantage of IMGs, helping Urban doctors transition to rural life, that need to be done as well.

Stupid GTA.

I agree. But I can't really hate on SWOMEN. I'm from there. lol

Stupid GTA.

Western and NOSM target their area's of geography on top of the rural theme....

Since they're limited in their ability to seek doctors form outside their respective regions they've taken it upon themselves to deal with the issues and you can't blame them for that....

You can blame the government for letting the situation get to where it is. I agree with you though that it's a rather over simplified criteria to choose someone based on their high school, which they had likely no ability to chose.

I think a system where you allow one to achieve Swomen/northern status whether it is via permanent residence or something else would make more sense....

Ie: In order to be considered Swomen.... set a fairly rigorous list of local volunteer requirements that need an authorized signature to be verified...

1) you get the pre-meds involved in the community

2) those that are just trying to gain an advantageous status actually get exposure to the area and may realize reasons to stay

3) If nothing else in the case of someone that takes off after 4 years of medicine, you get contribution to the community from that person who otherwise would have given you nothing in return.

This is just for example purposes...

Western and NOSM target their area's of geography on top of the rural theme....

Since they're limited in their ability to seek doctors form outside their respective regions they've taken it upon themselves to deal with the issues and you can't blame them for that....

You can blame the government for letting the situation get to where it is. I agree with you though that it's a rather over simplified criteria to choose someone based on their high school, which they had likely no ability to chose.

I think a system where you allow one to achieve Swomen/northern status whether it is via permanent residence or something else would make more sense....

Ie: In order to be considered Swomen.... set a fairly rigorous list of local volunteer requirements that need an authorized signature to be verified...

1) you get the pre-meds involved in the community

2) those that are just trying to gain an advantageous status actually get exposure to the area and may realize reasons to stay

3) If nothing else in the case of someone that takes off after 4 years of medicine, you get contribution to the community from that person who otherwise would have given you nothing in return.

This is just for example purposes...

I agree. Thats what i mean as a bandaid on a wound, the government needs to get in and revamp the infrastructure. I feel the same way about having lower cutoffs for first nations people - still a bandaid on a big wound. The government needs to haul ass and seriously make some changes to improve resources and educational facilities so they don't need the drastically lowered cutoffs as much. We need to sell our damn freshwater for some serious coin! ahhh

Well, I'm kinda hoping there isn't - this was my only interview, and I'm not SWOMEN.

I actually do think there are two different advantages, a pre and a post interview. The pre-interview of course being lower cutoffs.

I do recall receiving an email about 5-10 days before the 15th asking me to give them permission to contact my high school to verify that I am a SWOMEN applicant. Although my MCAT was above non-SWOMEN cut off, if there was only a pre interview they would not have needed to ask me that at that point in time. Did anyone get a similar email prior to their interview?

Just more fun speculation...

I actually do think there are two different advantages, a pre and a post interview. The pre-interview of course being lower cutoffs.

I do recall receiving an email about 5-10 days before the 15th asking me to give them permission to contact my high school to verify that I am a SWOMEN applicant. Although my MCAT was above non-SWOMEN cut off, if there was only a pre interview they would not have needed to ask me that at that point in time. Did anyone get a similar email prior to their interview?

Well, there was a thread on that - apparently all SWOMEN candidates were contacted this year, as there were new privacy policies that prevented them from getting information from the high schools without authorization. I would imagine it was mostly to ensure no one falsified the information. Don't know for sure either way though.

all swomen applicants did... although that doesn't neccesarily mean that there was a post-interview SWOMEN advantage. An intersting thing was that in the acceptance email they said some offers are conditional based on verification of HS, meeting the GPA in final year and/oror finishing degree... but in my letter, my offer was conditional only for finsihing my degree and nothing about HS verification (i'm SWOMEN).

Who knows lol ...

all swomen applicants did... although that doesn't neccesarily mean that there was a post-interview SWOMEN advantage. An intersting thing was that in the acceptance email they said some offers are conditional based on verification of HS, meeting the GPA in final year and/oror finishing degree... but in my letter, my offer was conditional only for finsihing my degree and nothing about HS verification (i'm SWOMEN).

Who knows lol ...

ya really, who knows,

the way i am hoping is that they had everyone ranked (w/ advantage) and then had to go through and verify SWOMEN and adjust it if there were any problems in order to finalize the list before mailing out the offers.

ya really, who knows,

the way i am hoping is that they had everyone ranked (w/ advantage) and then had to go through and verify SWOMEN and adjust it if there were any problems in order to finalize the list before mailing out the offers.

that would ahve made sense... but i think they mailed out the offers before verifying anything.. because the emails were sent on the day the letters were sent out, and it contained info on conditional acceptance based on HS verification. If they had already verified the HSs they wouldn't have said that.

I think it would take too much time to go through the SWOMEN list and see who had made the regular cutoff and who made the SWOMEN cutoff, so they sent it to everyone. I was away when the email was sent and wasn't able to send my email to them by the 16th, after already being placed on the waitlist.

Take a look at the number of acceptances sent out to swomen last year, its somewhere in this publication by UWO. 72% acceptance.

If thats not enough, go through all those accepted on may 16th this past year. Most of them are indeed swomen. Millertime and Lostintime are the only ones that are not.

Take a look at the number of acceptances sent out to swomen last year, its somewhere in this publication by UWO. 72% acceptance.

If thats not enough, go through all those accepted on may 16th this past year. Most of them are indeed swomen. Millertime and Lostintime are the only ones that are not.

Where do you see 72% SWOMEN? Is it 72 percent of class is swomen or 72 percent SWOMEN got in?

I think its completely unfair that they are going to go through their waiting list way after other schools have. in the end that means they arent getting the higher ranked candidates and will have to go deeper into their WL. And people who were ranked high on the waiting list may get kicked off and will have to go to a not-their-first-choice- school :(

Archived