Premed 101 Forums

Waiting list

hehe, I'm OOP too and my email inbox is getting lonely. Like luc cervelo said, the only encouraging thing is that last year, it appears they went through the entire wait list. It's hard to know, however, how long it took before the list was exhausted or whether they've increased the number of waitlist spots since last year. For myself personally though, I'd be surprised to hear good news from them because I'm in 3rd year...so I'm probably at the bottom of the list. When they said the wait list, they weren't kidding about the waiting part eh? hahaha :P . Oh well, good luck everyone! :)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

inbox...so lonely!

Here's a question: if we got acceptances three weeks into classes, would you take it?

I know this is hypothetical, but I don't think I would. I'm starting to look forward to the year ahead of me...good classes, good group of people! At the same time, having an acceptance before classes start (sept 2) would be the opposite. But tough anyway.

Anyone else feel the same way?

i actually do feel the same way -- an extra year, especially with firm plans, isn't a bad thing in my opinion. time to grow, both personally and professionally!

inbox...so lonely!

Here's a question: if we got acceptances three weeks into classes, would you take it?

I know this is hypothetical, but I don't think I would. I'm starting to look forward to the year ahead of me...good classes, good group of people! At the same time, having an acceptance before classes start (sept 2) would be the opposite. But tough anyway.

Anyone else feel the same way?

I think if there's movement it might be next week based on when the previous "wave" of offers was sent out, but someone else mentioned rolling offers, so I could be totally wrong. The rolling thing is probably more feasible for IP students though, since it takes like...5 business days for OOP mail to reach its destination... or something like that...then they have to send it back. :eek: boooourns.

Hey I got off the waitlist on June 23rd. So list is moving.

And yea, the guy that got in last year during the 3rd week of school was because one of the med students switched over to dentistry and everyone figured that the waitlisted guy didn't miss a whole lot so they took him and he accepted of course. First year at u of a is not that tough I heard. ")-

Hi Icebox, and others. Anybody able to get some more information on how many spots may be left. U of C has given out a fair bit of info now, pt scores, plus more people are posting on the U of C forum. Just curious for some more information on the U of A waiting list...has anybody talked to admissions lately?

The waitlist will certainly be moving soon, because i know of at least 5 people who are sitting on acceptances from U of C and U of A, they've paid both deposits, but haven't figured out where they would like to go. Also, I know many U of C'ers haven't removed their names from the U of A waiting list...just out of curiousity to see if they get in. Essentially they are delaying our *fingers crossed* acceptances by at least 2 weeks....

another thing going for us IP students is that the OOP kids don't like moving to Edmonton, they much prefer Calgary. So all of the left-over OOP seats that will end up remaining (about 3-5 seats), for the OOP 4th yr pool will go to Albertans.

another thing going for us IP students is that the OOP kids don't like moving to Edmonton, they much prefer Calgary. So all of the left-over OOP seats that will end up remaining (about 3-5 seats), for the OOP 4th yr pool will go to Albertans.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

The waitlist will certainly be moving soon, because i know of at least 5 people who are sitting on acceptances from U of C and U of A, they've paid both deposits, but haven't figured out where they would like to go. Also, I know many U of C'ers haven't removed their names from the U of A waiting list...just out of curiousity to see if they get in. Essentially they are delaying our *fingers crossed* acceptances by at least 2 weeks....

Are they allowed to do that? Accept offers at both schools? I thought you could get in trouble for that. (I seem to remember something being said on interview day about how news travels fast between med schools and it's not a good idea to try and hold spots at more than one school at the same time.) And does anyone happen to know the deadline for this batch of accepted people to reply? (2 weeks from July 2nd I'm assuming?)

Question: so the leftover 4th year OOP seats don't go to 3rd year OOPs? They automatically go to IP students? :confused: if ~15% seats go to OOP, I thought that if they ran out of 4th year OOP, they'd try to fill them with 3rd year OOPs first, then if they ran out of ALL OOP waitlisters, they'd then fill them with IP students. :(

Are they allowed to do that? Accept offers at both schools? I thought you could get in trouble for that. (I seem to remember something being said on interview day about how news travels fast between med schools and it's not a good idea to try and hold spots at more than one school at the same time.) And does anyone happen to know the deadline for this batch of accepted people to reply? (2 weeks from July 2nd I'm assuming?)

yes, it sucks but they are allowed, and many people do. especially those who get accepted, but then stay on the waitlist at the other. then they accept at the other, but don't decline for several weeks at the place they were originally accepted. some people may even go to lengths of going to orientation at u of c, still hoping for a u of a waitlist acceptance.

Question: so the leftover 4th year OOP seats don't go to 3rd year OOPs? They automatically go to IP students? :confused: if ~15% seats go to OOP, I thought that if they ran out of 4th year OOP, they'd try to fill them with 3rd year OOPs first, then if they ran out of ALL OOP waitlisters, they'd then fill them with IP students. :(

they have quota's for a reason...why do you think that all the OOP spots are not always filled. i'm sure that there are tons of 2/3 yr applicants that could have filled them. so yes, they go to IP candidates. they don't want a class full of 2 yrs.

Archived