Premed 101 Forums

IP Waitlists

I have just created a thread for IP waitlisters (I don't know if a previous one exists and at this point don't really care). If we can update the IP waitlist on a frequent basis, it would certainly keep us more in the loop (an construct more of a reality) of what is happening since the admissions office reveal very little about the size and progression of the waitlist.

The last person to accept an offer (based on forum) was:

Alanna (score 70.16)

I am very curious about how many people are above 68.28 (my wife's score) and are waiting to hear from the U of C.:confused:

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm IP with 69.68... I emailed Alberta Health putting pressure to open up more spots for this year ;). Perhaps we can get so many people emailing, enough to frustrate them into opening more!

Any little bit helps I suppsose.

Good Luck everyone!

In:

Purple 70.20 (just arbitrarily started with Purple)

Alanna 70.16

Hopefuls:

Siobhansiobhan 70.06

JordanW 69.68

Dudeman42 69.14

Premed03 68.39

Tooty 68.38

Homer's Wife 68.28

the list seems so short when you put it like that :)

I'm IP with 69.68... I emailed Alberta Health putting pressure to open up more spots for this year ;). Perhaps we can get so many people emailing, enough to frustrate them into opening more!

Any little bit helps I suppsose.

Good Luck everyone!

The Alberta Health website says in a report released June 20th that they wish to

"Work with Alberta Advanced Education and

Technology to create new education seats for

physicians, registered nurses, licensed practical

nurses and other health professionals"

Which group would be the best to contact: Alberta Health and Wellness or Alberta Advanced Education and Technology? Also, which e-mail address did you use?

Does anybody know of any waitlisted IP applicant who got a 67? Because right now it looks like the cutoff might be 68.00.

Also, I find it interesting that there appear to be much fewer 69's than 68's. Hopefully that means that it won't take as long to get from 70 to 68 as it did to get from 72 to 70.

I just used the general information address [Health AHINFORM health.ahinform@gov.ab.ca] to begin with, assuming that they will be able to direct me to the correct personnel. Unfortunately there has been no reply yet, so if anyone else knows a direct email... perhaps an MLA?

I'm not off the list yet, but I just put money down on an apartment in a different country so murphy's law says next week :)

who is the Minister of Health - I figure that's the person to email. they'll have lots of people reading their mail. that's the person. or MPPs.

The Honourable Dave Hancock

Minister of Health and Wellness

Government of Alberta

#107 Legislature Building

10800 - 97th Avenue

Edmonton, AB

T5K 2B6

Tel: (780) 427-3665

Fax: (780) 415-0961

Email 1: dave.hancock@gov.ab.ca

Email 2: Hlth.health@gov.bc.ca

But I'm trying to think of what to say... I'll start it here, maybe we can brainstorm together....

Initial thoughts are,

- state that i'm on the waiting list. mention that i know that calgary is meant to increase their seats by ten each year, based on last year's announcement (that sounds like reminding of an already-done commitment). i'll quote this source: http://www.ucalgary.ca/news/september2007/medicine-nursing-funding , September 11, 2007

'The provincial announcement, made today in Edmonton, will permit the University of Calgary to enrol 10 more MD students annually, expanding the first-year class size to 135 students. The first additional cohort of 10 students started their studies last month, and will graduate in 2010." that quote makes it clear that this year should be 145, but isn't yet... respectfully asking the minister why this is.

notice that the seat increase hadn't happened yet this year. go into some details about why doctor shortages are bad, and why i want to be part of the solution this year. mention to them that if they are close to a decision to please announce it soon, because those on the waitlist are scrambling to go abroad, and if it is meant to happen for this august to please announce soon. ( i don't think we could persuade them if it's not very close in the cards, so i'm focusing on asking for the timing of the announcement). mention that shortly i will be going to one of the top 12 private medical schools in the states where i will scramble to cover tuition,... i have been contacting northern communities about trying to get a return of service contract for the u.s. school, but so far no bites for a non-canadian school... i would prefer to be able to attend a canadian school to get a canadian education) what else???

any other thoughts before we craft our letters?

also i don't know the official address to a minister - honourable?

Guys, I hate to be such a nay-sayer but don't get your hopes up too high by that list.

There are a slew of people who don't post on these forums that are between 68-70.

imho it's best to assume the worst and start figuring out what you need to improve on next year.

I just sent to the alberta email address listed in my last post. I cut and pasted it here, but then i removed it, because it does go into personal detail. I focused on asking the minister to consider to stories of those on the waitiist, and how short notice can impact us, also i called his attention to the announcement last year of 10 a year, and asked him why the increase is not reflected in the numbers for this year.

I'm not off the list yet, but I just put money down on an apartment in a different country so murphy's law says next week :)

who is the Minister of Health - I figure that's the person to email. they'll have lots of people reading their mail. that's the person. or MPPs.

The Honourable Dave Hancock

Minister of Health and Wellness

Government of Alberta

#107 Legislature Building

10800 - 97th Avenue

Edmonton, AB

T5K 2B6

Tel: (780) 427-3665

Fax: (780) 415-0961

Email 1: dave.hancock@gov.ab.ca

Email 2: Hlth.health@gov.bc.ca

Hey guys,

In case you're planning to email, thought I'd add that as of Mar 2008 Dave Hancock is no longer health minister. Its actually Ron Liepert. Probably best to adjust letter headings accordingly. Good luck!

The Ministry of Health does not fund post-secondary spots, including med school seats. That is the responsibility of the Minister of Advanced Education. If you want your letter to be more effective, I would suggest contacting Doug Horner (http://www.assembly.ab.ca/net/index.aspx?p=mla_contact&rnumber=75), with a CC to Ron Liepert (http://www.assembly.ab.ca/net/index.aspx?p=mla_contact&rnumber=24)

Thanks for that -

I've retooled the letter a bit, and I've sent it to the two addresses. I hope others do too, so that we can get the message through that it is unfair to those who are the future doctors with careers in service to the community to make such a last-minute decision announcement, since this gives us very little time to get out of prior commitments, and indeed forces us to make unnecessary alternative commitments. If there is to be an announcement, I believe that it should be timely. I'll call the office to speak to an aide on Monday, and hopefully others will email and call as well. Let's see what happens next week! I really am waiting with total anticipation at this point -

In:

Purple 70.20 (just arbitrarily started with Purple)

Alanna 70.16

Hopefuls:

Siobhansiobhan 70.06

JordanW 69.68

Dudeman42 69.14

Firsttimer 68.81

SexyBeast 68.51

Premed03 68.39

Tooty 68.38

Homer's Wife 68.28

IP here

I agree that there are probably quite a few people out there that do not post on this forum.

I spoke to the admissions on Friday and I explained to them that I was considering taking a 6 week trip to sub-Saharan Africa and it would be rather difficult to get a hold of me if I were to be called off of the waitlist. I told them that I would postpone the trip to a later date (well after first day of classes). They said that I should go ahead with the trip as planned and that they would somehow contact me. I found this very unnerving considering I had explained to them that it would be very difficult to get a hold of me (and that if I were accepted I would in effect lose my investment in the trip). It suggested to me that they knew I was too far down the list to have a reasonable chance of being accepted. My score is 69.12.

I spoke to the admissions on Friday and I explained to them that I was considering taking a 6 week trip to sub-Saharan Africa and it would be rather difficult to get a hold of me if I were to be called off of the waitlist. I told them that I would postpone the trip to a later date (well after first day of classes). They said that I should go ahead with the trip as planned and that they would somehow contact me. I found this very unnerving considering I had explained to them that I wouldn't be very difficult to get a hold of me (and that if I were accepted I would in effect lose my investment in the trip). It suggested to me that they knew I was too far down the list to have a reasonable chance of being accepted. My score is 69.12.

That is terrible news.

There must be a lot of people in the 69s. And only a handful of seats in contention.

I would really like to know how many people were initially on the IP waitlist. I

That is terrible news.

There must be a lot of people in the 69s. And only a handful of seats in contention.

I would really like to know how many people were initially on the IP waitlist. I

I surf this forum every now and then and what I see here is troubling.

Guys take it easy, you can't possibly predict and take into account all the circumstances and factors. A lot of unpredictable crap has happened in the past. For example, I know a guy on the waitlist who was in Africa vounteering who was given a deferral. Yeah I know, they "don't" give deferrals to wailistees.

Just breathe. Honestly. Because once you start med anyways, and any doctor will tell you, life is busy and demanding. Maybe another year off is good. When you're a 50 year old physician, are you gonna wish you were 48? No, you'll want those years in your youth.

And just so you know, I am am also on the waitlist in 69s. I won't say where just because I don't want to participate in this pseudoranking. My ability to predict my position on the list will not affect whether or not I get called.

I do this out of genuine concern for the psyche of fellow applicants.

Take care

Archived