Premed 101 Forums

Second Degree

Jen21

Hey guys,

I am currently in the process of finishing up my second degree, however, I was wondering how McGill deals with applicants with a second undergrad degree? I would really love to know if it is true that they consider 2nd degree if you have completed 3+(2?) years of it.....thanks :P

• 1 month later...

What if you have only completed 1 year of it?

I have a B.Sc in Biology. I applied to mcgill this year and I got waitlisted. I am thinking to doing one year of engineering before applying again next year. I just called the admission office and I was told that they dont mind if someone applies before he finishes his second degree as long as he has his science prerequisites. I did not ask about whether the GPA will count. My rational behind doing one year of engineering is that I had a plan B in life if I did not get accepted next year (I am not intending to apply more than twice. It's silly, I know, but I do not want to spend my life waiting for medschools to accept me). My only concern it how to defend in the interview the fact that I will be doing a year of engineering after Biology.

Has anyone been put in a similar situation before?

Your thoughts and opinions will be greatly appreciated.

What if you have only completed 1 year of it?

I have a B.Sc in Biology. I applied to mcgill this year and I got waitlisted. I am thinking to doing one year of engineering before applying again next year. I just called the admission office and I was told that they dont mind if someone applies before he finishes his second degree as long as he has his science prerequisites. I did not ask about whether the GPA will count. My rational behind doing one year of engineering is that I had a plan B in life if I did not get accepted next year (I am not intending to apply more than twice. It's silly, I know, but I do not want to spend my life waiting for medschools to accept me). My only concern it how to defend in the interview the fact that I will be doing a year of engineering after Biology.

Has anyone been put in a similar situation before?

Your thoughts and opinions will be greatly appreciated.

I think that they will look at your grades, but if that was the major problem in your application then I doubt that one year will make a significant difference.

As you mentioned, I think you will have to defend your decision to begin an engineering degree with the clear intention of going to med school. I think the "plan B" explanation is understandable but will make it seem like you are not as determined to become a doctor, so make sure you explain it properly while still showing your passion for medicine.

As a side note, I do not know about your personal situation and I know it can be frustrating to apply to the same program more than once BUT... if medicine is your calling then why risk having regrets the rest of your life? I'm not saying to apply 6 times but at least give it your best shot by applying as broadly as possible (read: US, carrib, etc if you would be willing to go).

I just think you should consider whether:

a) If you give up, you will have regrets, or

B) Does the fact that you are not planning to apply more than twice indicate that maybe you don't have the requisite passion and determination for this field.

Don't forget even once you get in it will not get any easier in terms of hours, workload and then the application process all over again for residency.

Anyway just food for thought good luck with everything!

Why doing a second degree if you got an interview this year? I don't understand people who want to do a second degree when they already have the GPA. If admissions told you that it's your GPA, then I understand. But still, I would apply to other schools instead of starting another degree. I think it will look bad to start something completely unrelated for one year. Improve your MCAT if it can help, boost your extracuriculars, or do a master's, but not a second undergrad if your GPA is already sufficient to get an interview.

Archived