Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

Hey guys,

I'm in 4th year and I have already submitted my applications, but I'm wondering if I should get my hopes up or not considering I don't have many of the 'typical' pre-med activities.

- cGPA: 3.91 (1st year 3.92, 2nd year 3.90, 3rd year 3.92)

- MCAT: 12(VR), 13(PS), 15(BS), R(WS)

- no research except 4th year research project

- captain of a varsity team (been playing the sport for 8 years)

- part-time job during the academic year for the last 3 years

- volunteering (not that much): have been tutoring high school students for 2 years, just started volunteering at the hospital, executive positions on the board for my sports team (2 years)

Do I have an okay chance? What can I do to improve for next time?

Thanks.

I would say you have a very good chance. Keep up the good work!

Hey,

I'm just wondering where I stand chance-wise with these stats:

(currently in fourth year)

-cgpa 3.75 in BSc. in Biochemistry (like 3.5 in first year, 3.8 in second and 3.9 in third)... I lived in residence in first year and made the mistake of "partying" regularly

-MCAT 10(PS)/10(VR)/11(BS) P(WS)

-one publication (3rd author)

-president of a club + intramurals + 3 years of hospital volunteering

-2 years of research

-2 years of life-guarding

Based on some of the stats I have witnessed here, I’m not feeling too confident about receiving any interviews… Do you think I have any chance? What do you think I could do to improve for next time?

Should I try to take the MCAT again?

Would two years of grad school improve my application? Or should I consider starting another undergrad degree?

Well your last/best two year years look pretty good, but I think it will be unlikely you will get an interview with western or Queens with that WS mark ( hard cut-offs). But your EC's look great, I would redo the MCAT to improve the WS mark.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone!

Just wanted some advice on my chances

BIO:

UTSG student, from Toronto

cGPA – 3.78

1) 4.0

2) 4.0

3) 4.0

4) 3.1

Don’t qualify for UofTs weighting formula as I took 9 courses in my last year and 11 in my 2nd.

MCAT – Have Written 6 times. (PS/VR/WS/BS)

1) 15/6/S/8

2) 12/7/S/10

3) 12/5/R/11

4) 13/8/P/10

5) 13/8/Q/11

6) 12/5/R/15

activities – 25 hours hospital tutoring, piano, 2 research publications

Really want to get into a school in Ontario so I can stay with my family but feel like things may be not so good

I have a random question, if someone applies 3rd year with 123 (or more) credits b/c they took more than full course load or summer courses, do medical schools take the GPA of their top 120 credits or still take all credits into account for GPA? Just trying to figure out some disadvantages for 3rd years after looking at some past threads. Sorry for the off-topic, didn't really want to make a new thread for this lol

I have a random question, if someone applies 3rd year with 123 (or more) credits b/c they took more than full course load or summer courses, do medical schools take the GPA of their top 120 credits or still take all credits into account for GPA? Just trying to figure out some disadvantages for 3rd years after looking at some past threads. Sorry for the off-topic, didn't really want to make a new thread for this lol

I'm going to use UofT as an example because it's the only medical school I'm extremely familiar with. UofT only takes into consideration the courses taken during the regular academic session. So that means only the courses taken during fall and winter. So if you're apply in your third year, wouldn't they just take only the 20 courses completed during 1st and 2nd year during the fall and winter terms (assuming you took a full course)?

I'm going to use UofT as an example because it's the only medical school I'm extremely familiar with. UofT only takes into consideration the courses taken during the regular academic session. So that means only the courses taken during fall and winter. So if you're apply in your third year, wouldn't they just take only the 20 courses completed during 1st and 2nd year during the fall and winter terms (assuming you took a full course)?

Yeah, that makes sense I guess, what about taking more than full course load during the year (vs. summer)? Would they take all credits from your first 2 years or just 10 from each? (This isn't specifically for me, I'm taking 6 courses b/c I dropped one last sem, I'm just wondering lol)

Yeah, that makes sense I guess, what about taking more than full course load during the year (vs. summer)? Would they take all credits from your first 2 years or just 10 from each? (This isn't specifically for me, I'm taking 6 courses b/c I dropped one last sem, I'm just wondering lol)

I believe they don't count summer courses, so only the courses completed during fall and winter.

I wish they took summer courses--then my GPA would be higher. Are you applying in third year?

I believe they don't count summer courses, so only the courses completed during fall and winter.

I wish they took summer courses--then my GPA would be higher. Are you applying in third year?

Oh yeah I know, but I mean if you take more than a full course load during the Fall/Winter sem, would they only take your top 60 credits or would they take into account everything you did in those semesters?

And I haven't a clue about that, I'd love to do it for experience so when I apply in 4th year it won't be all new to me, but I'd have to wait until the end of the year to decide if it's worth it, wbu?

Oh yeah I know, but I mean if you take more than a full course load during the Fall/Winter sem, would they only take your top 60 credits or would they take into account everything you did in those semesters?

And I haven't a clue about that, I'd love to do it for experience so when I apply in 4th year it won't be all new to me, but I'd have to wait until the end of the year to decide if it's worth it, wbu?

Sorry I misunderstood. Yeah I would assume that they take everything in those semesters. Directly from their website "The CGPA as calculated by your university is not used. All marks from courses taken in the regular academic session will count in the GPA for application to the MD Program."

You never know, you might get in after all!!

Haha, I'm only in my first year. Still got along way a head of me! :P

Sorry I misunderstood. Yeah I would assume that they take everything in those semesters. Directly from their website "The CGPA as calculated by your university is not used. All marks from courses taken in the regular academic session will count in the GPA for application to the MD Program."

You never know, you might get in after all!!

Haha, I'm only in my first year. Still got along way a head of me! :P

Alright, thank you, that answers my question!

Hehe I'm in first year too :)

Hi, I just finished my first session in Science Nature and I'm wondering what my R score will looked like. I know it's pretty much impossible to estimate it exactly but I'm still curious about it. I need 32 min and I would really like to be above 33. Do you think I can reach that? Thanks.

Chimie de l'environnement = 92% Mo=78% Ecart-type=16.3%

Algèbre et géométrie vectorielle = 80% Mo= 71 % Ecart-type = 17.9%

Philosophie = 91% Mo= 72% Ecart-type = 8.0%

Écriture et littérature = 94 % Mo = 69% Ecart-type =21.4%

Chimie générale = 83% Mo= 72% Ecart-type= 15.2%

Calcul différentiel = 75% Mo = 54% Ecart=type = 26.2%

I'm currently in 2nd year at UWO, didn't do so well this semester (3 of my half courses are below 80%). I was thinking of writing the MCAT this summer, but with a 3.65 GPA from first year, have I already ruined my chances? Should I even bother writing the MCAT at all? Feedback would be greatly appreciated!

^no, if you do better in 3rd and 4th year for schools that look at best two years or drop certain credits. You need to hit above 10/11/10 Q at best for the MCAT if you want to meet all ONT cutoffs. If you're from northern ontario, you have preferential status; same if you're SWOMEN or from Ottawa region.

You can search previous threads for more information/better idea of what to do.

^no, if you do better in 3rd and 4th year for schools that look at best two years or drop certain credits. You need to hit above 10/11/10 Q at best for the MCAT if you want to meet all ONT cutoffs. If you're from northern ontario, you have preferential status; same if you're SWOMEN or from Ottawa region.

You can search previous threads for more information/better idea of what to do.

This is going to sound like a stupid question...but for your 4th year GPA to count, does this mean you have to do 5th year?

I'm not really optimistic but I figure this is worth a shot.

UofT student here:

- My OMSAS cgpa is 3.65, all my semesters consist of 4 courses so I know I'm screwed when it comes to weighting formulas and schools that require at least a few semesters with full course loads.

- Last 10 credits: 3.90

- I have yet to write the MCAT

- EC's: 3 years of research experience in neuroscience labs. Two second author publications in 2.5 and 7 impact factor journals. Poster presentation at a national conference. Was appointed as a "supervisor" by my PI for all the other undergraduate research assistants in the lab last summer. Basically I had to make sure everyone's was getting their work done and providing help if they need it etc.

I volunteered in two other labs mostly performing EEG studies and interviewing patients with mild cognitive impairments.

I have also worked part-time as a secretary and administrative assistant for a psychiatrist for about a year.

- Awards: Bunch of in-course scholarships, admission scholarship and NSERC USRA. I applied to OGS and PGS M for grad school. Won't hear back until a few months from now.

I'm working on a Master's application right now and am planning on applying to med next year as a graduate student. Thoughts? :)

3.65 is on the low side, esp since you're not eligible for weighting. But if you apply in the year you are completing your grad degree at U of T (they don't allow you to apply during your research-based MSc if you're not completing by entry week) and pass their MCAT cutoff with a stellar essay, you do have a chance b/c of the lower cutoff set for grad students. Since you do already have great research productivity, it may be valuable to keep at it while having some other extracurriculars.

I'm not sure which MSc you're applying to, but there aren't many research-based masters that are two years.

I'm not sure which MSc you're applying to, but there aren't many research-based masters that are two years.

Umm most research-based MSc's ARE two years. They can take longer depending on the project, prof, etc but the estimated timeline is 2 years. In fact, at some schools, you get EXACTLY 2 years to do it for some programs, no more.

I'm not really optimistic but I figure this is worth a shot.

UofT student here:

- My OMSAS cgpa is 3.65, all my semesters consist of 4 courses so I know I'm screwed when it comes to weighting formulas and schools that require at least a few semesters with full course loads.

- Last 10 credits: 3.90

- I have yet to write the MCAT

- EC's: 3 years of research experience in neuroscience labs. Two second author publications in 2.5 and 7 impact factor journals. Poster presentation at a national conference. Was appointed as a "supervisor" by my PI for all the other undergraduate research assistants in the lab last summer. Basically I had to make sure everyone's was getting their work done and providing help if they need it etc.

I volunteered in two other labs mostly performing EEG studies and interviewing patients with mild cognitive impairments.

I have also worked part-time as a secretary and administrative assistant for a psychiatrist for about a year.

- Awards: Bunch of in-course scholarships, admission scholarship and NSERC USRA. I applied to OGS and PGS M for grad school. Won't hear back until a few months from now.

I'm working on a Master's application right now and am planning on applying to med next year as a graduate student. Thoughts? :)

You have very strong extracurriculars, although I think you could add a little more in terms of community involvement. Why the MSc? If it's to better your chances for meds, don't bother. You'd be better off taking those 2 years to take full time courses in undergrad. If the MSc is because you're interested and really enjoy it, then go for it. But that undergrad GPA will still hold you back from a lot of schools, especially since you don't have full year course loads.

Umm most research-based MSc's ARE two years. They can take longer depending on the project, prof, etc but the estimated timeline is 2 years. In fact, at some schools, you get EXACTLY 2 years to do it for some programs, no more.

I apologize, what I meant to ask was what research based MScs ARE NOT 2 years (i.e. as above, as you astutely pointed out).

Sorry for the lack of clarification :( I was tired.

I apologize, what I meant to ask was what research based MScs ARE NOT 2 years (i.e. as above, as you astutely pointed out).

Sorry for the lack of clarification :( I was tired.

Aha 'tis ok.

I think OP meant he will start MSc Sept.2012 and apply for meds Sept.2013, hoping to finish MSc in 2 years and then immediately do meds? I may be wrong but that's what I got from it.

Also, since OP's worked in his current lab for awhile, has publications and experience, maybe he thinks he can do the MSc in 1 year?