Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

Hi guys,

Im a second year studying neuroscience at Memorial ( IP )

First year: 2.9

second year first semester: 3.6

second year second semester: too early to tell

I've done random things, volunteered for operation christmas child box, coats for kids, did some other little things ( a year )

I volunteer at an abroad program and St John Ambulance ( a year )

Bullying committee in high school for a year ( does this count? )

other things in high school that probably don't count.

Also, looking for research at the moment.

I've worked contruction in the summers ( 72 hours A WEEK )

Plus other jobs during the year and so on.

I've played hockey for 13 years

Swam on provincial teams for 3 years.

Golfed provincially and for summer games,

soccer ( traveled to england to play ). Have played soccer for 8 years.

Have won medals with Judo as well.

Intramural sports with residence ( soccer, hockey, basketball )

Winter Carnival Commitee ( huge event on campus, basically winners get bragging rights) but a lot of work does go into this.

Few other things with residence.

I know my GPA needs to rise, and thats fine. The 2.9 my first year was caused by some personal stuff.

My EC's are obviously not great but, im working on it.

Just some thoughts, then again, Im only a second year. Maybe ill take an extra year to complete my degree to boost it up. Good idea?

first yr: 3.0

2: 3.63

3: 3.47

4: 3.91

5 1st semes: 3.95

ec: 1 first author pub, medical first responder 1 yr, 3 yrs research (in hospital and on campus), 3 - 4 yrs leadership exp, started volunteer oganization, rehab volunteer, hospital volun, intramural sports, tutor, 1 summer job, small random events

ref letter: from a world renowned neurosurg, volunteer coordinator, and a prof i took courses and did research with

MCAT: B: 11, P: 10, VR: 11, W: Q

im IP for alberta

i wanted to apply to ontario schools and schools in alberta too. someone be kind enough to tell me what are my chances? also, do i need to add stuff to my ecs? i know its subjective, but a very basic opinion would help.

thank you!

Your ECs/volunteer/research are fine. So, it is all about GPA as to where you are eligible. And last 2/best 2 years look good!

Im a second year studying neuroscience at Memorial ( IP )

First year: 2.9

second year first semester: 3.6

second year second semester: too early to tell

Bullying committee in high school for a year ( does this count? )

I know my GPA needs to rise, and thats fine. The 2.9 my first year was caused by some personal stuff.

My EC's are obviously not great but, im working on it.

Just some thoughts, then again, Im only a second year. Maybe ill take an extra year to complete my degree to boost it up. Good idea?

Your sports are great, you can add bullying committe but as you know, GPA is king and that is where the effort must be, even if a 5th year in getting your degree.

Hey guys, wondering if you wouldn't mind chancing me? I'm currently in 3rd year Micro/Imm at UWO:

Metrics

First year: 3.67 (UofT wGPA: 3.87)

Second year: 3.53 (dropped the ball a little bit here...but UofT wGPA: 3.81)

Third year: ~3.9 (assuming this semester goes like last semester)

MCAT: BS:12, PS:11, VR:10, WS: S

Extracurriculars:

• Off Campus Advisor for 2 years, likely returning next year (position with a salary and lots of volunteering, everything from the Boys & Girls Club to soup kitchens)

• Tutor @ the Boys & Girls Club for one year thus far, work with kids gr. 9-12, helping them out with their science homework

• Summer volunteering in a hospital every summer since grade 10; mainly patient contact-intensive placements (a lot of these were in entirely different departments of the hospital, from continuing care to rehab)

• Played volleyball and waterpolo, both at the competitive intramural level

• Been volunteering in a prof's lab for 1 semester so far; hoping to do my thesis with him

• Working with another prof this summer; paid position

• Homework Helpers for one year back in grade 12 (since anything 16+ is game...)

• Piano RCME certified until grade 7

• Swimming certification: Bronze cross

Work Experience:

In addition to the Off Campus Advisors Position (since it is paid);

Tim Hortons for 2 years: was a floor employee at first, but a shift lead my last 6 months

Statistics Canada enumerator for 1 summer

I know my research experience is a bit weak; I just wasn't really that interested in research until this year, and so I'm hoping to rectify that a bit with my summer position and my 4th year thesis. No publications or anything fancy, however. I won't be applying until next cycle either. But yeah, if someone could give me an honest evaluation of chances, and areas where I can improve, I'd be very greatful. Thanks in advance!

Your ECs/volunteer/research are fine. So, it is all about GPA as to where you are eligible. And last 2/best 2 years look good!

hey thanks for the response!

i checked for my weight gpa for uoft and ottaway: 3.745 and 3.86 respectively. ualberta comes to about high 3.7 or low 3.8.

im the nervous type, so at this point im wondering if i should consider a second degree? grad degree? or international school?

U/O sounds good, presumably you have the chem they require. International s/b last resort, heck, you can easily become IP in Quebec and therefore, competitive @ McGill, and easy to be IP in Alberta if this helps the cause. Don't know about grad degree unless it is a Plan B.

how do i become an IP in Quebec? dont you have to be born there or lived there for a while?

note: im an IP student for alberta :)

What are my chances :):P

Im from Ottawa

First year - 3.7

Second year - 3.8

Third year - 3.87

OMSAS GPA 3.81

My weighted wGPA 3.91

My MCAT scores

PS - 12

BS - 11

WS - S

VR - 8

I feel I have a strong essay

It revolved around a strong project Iv been up to for about 5 years

My portfolio I feel is fairly well rounded too

My research is limited - Iv worked in 1 research project by getting a grant (No publication) and no doing my honors project

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!

Hi, I was wondering "what my chances are" and if any one has any advice for how to improve them..

OMSAS GPA

First Year: 2.77

Second Year: 3.61

Summer Semester Between 1st and 2nd: 3.12

Third Year: 3.51

First Semester Fourth Year: 3.92

That looks pretty unfortunate but I am going to be taking a fifth year to improve my GPA and develop more of the knowledge and skills that I'm interested in. I started out in a BA program but switched to a BSc., Psychology: Brain and Cognition minoring in Economics and Neuroscience after my second year which is why it's been taking me so long.

I expect to have ~3.90-95 this semester and next year, as I only just started taking an interest in doing well (and going to med school).

EC's:

-I have been volunteering on my campus medical first response team for 2 years

-Last year I coordinated a campus charity raising >$100 000 for 19 food related agencies in the region

-This past summer I bicycled across Canada (Victoria --> St. John's) with a friend and raised another $12 000 for the same charity

-I've done various things in my university town including intramural soccer and dodgeball, some stand-up comedy, volunteering at a downtown drop-in centre, helped implement student elections

-In high school I volunteered in Guatemala, performed piano and trombone (competitions and recitals), did soccer and cross-country, and volunteered a lot with the Family Relief Program, including working at their summer camp for three summers (helps families with children who have special needs).

Work:

Research assistant last semester, was a forest firefighter one summer, worked in a hotel doing pretty much everything another summer, treeplanting, summer camps

Research:

-Have worked in three different labs within the field of neuroscience/psychology, made a couple meaningful contributions, just started working on an 8 month thesis, no publications yet but hoping to win an NSERC funded USRA this summer and take care of that (also working on my own review to submit for publication)

That's pretty much it, what do you think? Are there other things I should be doing in the next year to improve?

hey guys,

im applying in my 4TH year with the following stats:

1st yr: 3.47

2nd yr: 3.62

3rd yr: 4.0

cGPA: 3.69

MCAT: PS: 11, VR: 10, BS: 10, WS: R 31R total

Ecs: founded a research club/club execs, research assistant in radiology/imaging, hospital volunteering, clinic assistant, organized a medical brigade of 25 volunteers overseas, intramural teams, high school football, case report drafting, shadowing radiologist, conferences/presentations, 1 publication (but not first author)

what do you think my chances are for canadian med schools (ontario preferably) and U.S medical schools?

hey guys,

im applying in my 4TH year with the following stats:

1st yr: 3.47

2nd yr: 3.62

3rd yr: 4.0

cGPA: 3.69

MCAT: PS: 11, VR: 10, BS: 10, WS: R 31R total

Ecs: founded a research club/club execs, research assistant in radiology/imaging, hospital volunteering, clinic assistant, organized a medical brigade of 25 volunteers overseas, intramural teams, high school football, case report drafting, shadowing radiologist, conferences/presentations, 1 publication (but not first author)

what do you think my chances are for canadian med schools (ontario preferably) and U.S medical schools?

I'll take a shot:

Western- no chance (11 Verbal seems like it will stay), unless you're SWOMEN

Queen's- decent chance, would meet GPA and MCAT cutoffs, and your ECs seem solid

Ottawa- no chance (GPA cutoff= 3.85) unless you're from Ottawa.

McMaster- Everything depends on how well you do on CASPer. No idea.

Toronto- Depends on your wGPA, but your ECs seem solid... with stellar references+essay, decent chance.

NOSM- little chance unless you're from north.

US schools- decent chance at mid to high-tier schools, your ECs look impressive and US schools take a much more holistic approach.

What year are you in right now? 3rd? 4th?

Following the flowchart;

1) GPA not so hot right now...need to >3.8 last two years for Western and Queens and Dal. cGPA be careful for Mac, wGPA for U of T you'll have to calculate yourself.

2) MCAT - unknown

3) ECs...if you say they're good, then sure

4) Research - unknown

5) LORs - try to get the best that you can

Apply to Western, Queens, Dal during your fourth if you meet the >3.8 requirement. Try to score high on MCAT, keep ECs up/try to do some sort of research, you can also try for Mac as it's more on CASPer than anything. But right now your GPA is lowering your chances at a lot of schools.

just a clarification- why do you say you need 3.8 for Queen's and Western? Western has been 3.7 cutoff and Queen's seems to have been at 3.7 before these last two years.

just a clarification- why do you say you need 3.8 for Queen's and Western? Western has been 3.7 cutoff and Queen's seems to have been at 3.7 before these last two years.

I think I was basing it based on the avg GPA for accepted applicants for both schools for my definition of "competitive" to answer the poster's question. However, yes, the cutoff is 3.7 for both.

Apologies if there was any confusion re: this.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

I've been peeking around this forum for a few weeks, and I've finally drummed up the courage to post. After taking a hard look at where my life is currently headed, I've been considering applying to medical school, but I was wondering how realistic this would be. U of O would be my first choice (English stream), and I basically want opinions on whether I should apply this year, or strengthen my application first and apply later.

A bit of background...I graduated from U of O in 2009 with a BSc in Biomedical Sciences.

First year: 3.85

Second year: 3.99

Third year: 3.97

wGPA: 3.95

Where I really fall short are my ECs during undergrad...from high school throughout university, I helped out with my family's business, which only left time for personal activities such as piano lessons and painting + drawing. So no research, and no 4th year project.

I have resided in Ottawa my whole life, and I am perfectly fluent in English and French (I believe U of O gives the option to self-declare as bilingual, but I'm not sure if this counts for much). Since graduating, I've been employed by a Crown Corporation, and my job has involved extensive contact with the general public (that's right...I work for the government :rolleyes:).

I am currently volunteering at a hospital to get a feel for the environment, and will be joining a couple of committees for some community organizations I feel passionately about.

I'd be happy to provide more info if requested. Any constructive comments/advice would be most welcome. :)