Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

QC In-province student, finishing grad school next year.

Undergrad GPA:

1st year: 2.83

2nd year: 2.62

3rd year: 4.00

Overall: 3.17

Best 2 years: 3.42

Grad GPA: 4.00

MCAT: 44Q (14 on VR)

EC:

-Strong research (publications, studentships, conferences)

-The usual (volunteering, student council, shadowing, tutoring)

-Individual projects (organized fundraisers eg. snowman auction)

-The fun stuff / misc. (NM chess, WHO, various sports teams and intramural, programming competitions, band)

Needless to say I had a rough time during my first 2 years of undergrad. Given the circumstances I was not able to focus, but I did some spiritual and emotional cleansing during the summer before my final year of undergrad. The breakdown of my GPA pretty much eliminates my eligibility for many of the schools with hard gpa cutoffs: overall gpa, best 2 years, recent 2 years are all pretty low. However, I did do pretty well on the MCAT and did well in my final year of undergrad + grad school, so I suppose my goal right now is to show universities that I am able to handle the medical school curriculum (assuming they don't immediately toss out my application). Any input as to where I should apply and what are my chances??

QC In-province student, finishing grad school next year.

Undergrad GPA:

1st year: 2.83

2nd year: 2.62

3rd year: 4.00

Overall: 3.17

Best 2 years: 3.42

Grad GPA: 4.00

MCAT: 44Q (14 on VR)

EC:

-Strong research (publications, studentships, conferences)

-The usual (volunteering, student council, shadowing, tutoring)

-Individual projects (organized fundraisers eg. snowman auction)

-The fun stuff / misc. (NM chess, WHO, various sports teams and intramural, programming competitions, band)

Needless to say I had a rough time during my first 2 years of undergrad. Given the circumstances I was not able to focus, but I did some spiritual and emotional cleansing during the summer before my final year of undergrad. The breakdown of my GPA pretty much eliminates my eligibility for many of the schools with hard gpa cutoffs: overall gpa, best 2 years, recent 2 years are all pretty low. However, I did do pretty well on the MCAT and did well in my final year of undergrad + grad school, so I suppose my goal right now is to show universities that I am able to handle the medical school curriculum (assuming they don't immediately toss out my application). Any input as to where I should apply and what are my chances??

I can't help but be sceptical about this MCAT score, its above the 99.99th percentile and you call that 'pretty well', I think you are making it up as a hypothetical. That would probably be the highest score in the country, if not the world, the year you took it.

But if I'm wrong you should definitely consider American schools, as with that score I'm sure you'll get interviews.

I can't help but be sceptical about this MCAT score, its above the 99.99th percentile and you call that 'pretty well', I think you are making it up as a hypothetical. That would probably be the highest score in the country, if not the world, the year you took it.

But if I'm wrong you should definitely consider American schools, as with that score I'm sure you'll get interviews.

I apologize for drawing suspicion due to my poor choice of words. It was 2:30 AM when I posted it. I assure you the score is real, but I did get extremely lucky (ie: randomly guessed all the answers for the final VR passage as I didn't have enough time + guessed the last 3-4 questions for PS). Nevertheless, I'm still in a bind and in need of advice. I'm hoping to apply to canadian schools.

edit: Also, if you browse through the UofT acceptance thread, you'll find a person who scored 44S a few years ago. However, unlike this person, I do not have a 4.00 gpa.

I apologize for drawing suspicion due to my poor choice of words. It was 2:30 AM when I posted it. I assure you the score is real, but I did get extremely lucky (ie: randomly guessed all the answers for the final VR passage as I didn't have enough time + guessed the last 3-4 questions for PS). Nevertheless, I'm still in a bind and in need of advice. I'm hoping to apply to canadian schools.

edit: Also, if you browse through the UofT acceptance thread, you'll find a person who scored 44S a few years ago. However, unlike this person, I do not have a 4.00 gpa.

I'm not entirely familiar with Quebec med schools and their IP applicant considerations, but I would have to agree with esus- your undergrad GPA will hold you back in most places. Can't think of any school off the top of my head that will work for you, you should do some additional research on your own (schools outside ontario), but I think Ontario is out except McMaster-your verbal will make up for your GPA somewhat, and it's 50% CASPer anyways... However, with that :eek: MCAT score you can probably get interviews at some badass US schools... good luck :)

Thanks for the replies !

Are you referring to ottawa when you say U/O? I was under the impression that you need practically a perfect gpa to apply there.

Anyways, it's reassuring to know that there will be some universities that won't outright refuse me without reading my file; playing the med school application lottery with any percentage above 0% is good enough for me!

I was just wondering what my chances are looking like if I was to apply this upcoming September with a GPA (best two years) of 3.88? That is the GPA using exactly what it says on my transcript, I'm not sure if you are supposed to take into account EACH LETTER GRADE to come up with your actual GPA? If that is the case I think I would fall to around 3.785-3.795. I haven't yet written my MCAT, however, I'm just really hoping they look at the full year actual GPA and not break it down grade-by-grade.

sorry i forgot to add EC's guys, also, I'm in my third year currently of my undergrad:

-played in 2 basketball leagues this year, and in 1 last year

-big brother mentor

-shadowed physicians

-gonna be shadowing surgery this summer

-occupational therapy volunteer at hospital

-helping in research lab

-emergency room volunteer

-part of a health council on campus

-last 3 summers i've had full time jobs

-that's about it right now

I was just wondering what my chances are looking like if I was to apply this upcoming September with a GPA (best two years) of 3.88? That is the GPA using exactly what it says on my transcript, I'm not sure if you are supposed to take into account EACH LETTER GRADE to come up with your actual GPA? If that is the case I think I would fall to around 3.785-3.795. I haven't yet written my MCAT, however, I'm just really hoping they look at the full year actual GPA and not break it down grade-by-grade.

You look fine, just do well on MCAT this summer. :)

Take each grade, individually turn it into a GPA and then take the average of those GPAs. Essentially your marks are rounded down, 85%-89%=3.9 GPA, 90%-99%=4.0 etc. Don't convert the overall average it states at the bottom of your transcript into a GPA. Its a bit of a shock how much different that GPA can be from what it would be if they considered your overall average, but unfortunately that's how OMSAS calculates it.

Take each grade, individually turn it into a GPA and then take the average of those GPAs. Essentially your marks are rounded down, 85%-89%=3.9 GPA, 90%-99%=4.0 etc. Don't convert the overall average it states at the bottom of your transcript into a GPA. Its a bit of a shock how much different that GPA can be from what it would be if they considered your overall average, but unfortunately that's how OMSAS calculates it.

wow.. thats really unfortunate.. anything below A- will kill you then.. i hope its not every school that does that?

wow.. thats really unfortunate.. anything below A- will kill you then.. i hope its not every school that does that?

It's only for Ontario schools - other schools have different ways of calculating your GPA, especially if they have different grading scales (other than 4.0).

and yeah I don't know why a B+ is only a 3.3 on OMSAS - gpa killer for sure.

It's only for Ontario schools - other schools have different ways of calculating your GPA, especially if they have different grading scales (other than 4.0).

and yeah I don't know why a B+ is only a 3.3 on OMSAS - gpa killer for sure.

Isn't a B+ 3.3 everywhere? (Obviously not, or else you would not have said this). I know a B+ is a 3.3 in Ontario & Alberta.

Isn't a B+ 3.3 everywhere? (Obviously not, or else you would not have said this). I know a B+ is a 3.3 in Ontario & Alberta.

At the University of Manitoba a B+ is a 3.5. But then again we have the 4.5 GPA scale. But the thing is, since an A+ is a 4.5, A=4.0 and B+=3.5 ... if for example you got a B+ and an A+ in one semester it would be like you got an A overall giving you a 4.0. Where as a 3.3 and a 4.0 only give you a 3.65 average which is much harder to bounce back from. So IMO the OMSAS conversion scale is kind of deadly for your GPA if you get below an A-

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

This seems like the right place to get some feedback on my chances of getting in

I need advice on grades/admission/alternative options. I just finished my second year and my GPA is around 2.0 but i am doing summer school and expect to bring it up to 2.6 by the start of third year and will do summer school the following summer which would put my GPA over 3.0 probably around 3.2-3.3 My extracurriculars are pretty good (volunteering in 2 hospitals, vice president of a club, elite athlete). I have not written the MCAT yet either. I heard Western/Queens only take into account your best 2 years? If can get good grades in yrs 3 and 4 while increasing my GPA through summer school and nail the MCAT, would I have a shot? Anything would help. Cheers

Hello

This seems like the right place to get some feedback on my chances of getting in

I need advice on grades/admission/alternative options. I just finished my second year and my GPA is around 2.0 but i am doing summer school and expect to bring it up to 2.6 by the start of third year and will do summer school the following summer which would put my GPA over 3.0 probably around 3.2-3.3 My extracurriculars are pretty good (volunteering in 2 hospitals, vice president of a club, elite athlete). I have not written the MCAT yet either. I heard Western/Queens only take into account your best 2 years? If can get good grades in yrs 3 and 4 while increasing my GPA through summer school and nail the MCAT, would I have a shot? Anything would help. Cheers

Don't believe your GPA for admin purposes changes with summer courses.

Its up to your last 2 years. Do very well there and MCAT and you will be in the game.

Would you suggest I stick it out for a canadian school or start looking elsewhere?

Definitively a Canadian school, US too is a good option, but it's very costly. International medical graduate have little chances of getting into residency, and they are disadvantaged in rez admission.

PS: USMGs are considered on par with CMGs.

Its about the whole package - GPA, while the most important, is only a part of that package. There are people with 3.98 GPAs that get rejected because something else might be missing from that package.

You need:

1) a decent GPA in your last two years -aim for >3.8

2) a great MCAT score - aim for the highest you can, if you plan to apply using your last two years only, look at Western's cut-offs as a guide (it changes every year but its high)

3) keep up with the ECs

4) keep your eyes open for potential referees

If this is what you really want, you still have a chance - you may want to consider a 5th year as well to boost your GPA.

Good luck!

Hello,

This is my first post but have been visitting the forums often for advice and words of wisdom.

I am currently studying for the MCAT and scoring 12-13s in BS and PS from the AAMC practice exams (the 100 min versions), and 9-10 in Verbal. Writing... I haven't even practiced, but will soon.

I would very much appreciate the input of this forum in regards to my chances of getting an interview within Ontario, but outside of the province and the US is also an option if necessary.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Awards/Scholarships: In-course scholarship (Honours) for the last 3 years, Biology Prize of 2010, NSERC Awards ($5,600 each) for independent research (one of which I accepted and the second I rejected).

Became a TA for 1st year Physics (Practicals and Tutorials) when I was 19 for 2.5 years. I also TA-ed for 1st year Chemistry for 2 years (started when I was 20).

Hired position by the Physics department (age 19) to revamp the Physics Lab manual to better suit 1st year students (this consisted of writing new lab experiment protocols and testing the old ones for validity and improvement opportunities). I was given authorship in the manual.

Worked (non-paid) in a Neuroscience Lab for 2.5 years (did a thesis with this lab via a course). Also got acknowledged on a published paper, but no authorship. I had my own independent studies in this lab.

Worked in a Psychology lab for 1 semester, mainly gathering data from participants via trials. (realized psychology was not my thing and stuck with bio).

I was in few committees and clubs as an executive member (mainly in graphic and web design).

Built a business (privately incorporated) with a friend for 4 years and sold my half of the shares to him just few months ago to focus on medicine.

Played soccer for the university for 3 years.

Started to shadow/interning a neurologist 6 months ago at the ALS and Stroke Prevention Clinic. 9 hours per day, twice a week. I also join him on his on-call emergencies.(~240hrs so far). I see every patient he sees in his office and on the Sx table. (I fell in love with neurology ever since I've been shadowing him). I've recently presented a research proposal on ALS and the neurologist and his fellows are applying for grants to fund the research.

I was also offered a soccer scholarship by a (small) European club when I was in my 2nd year of university, but I did not go with it as it required me to move.

I have many years of experience in Web design and programming (especially Android). I can communicate well and am confident I'll do a good job on the interview, but I am worried that I won't be fortunate enough to be given the opportunity.

I'm sorry if the passage above is very long. I would appreciate any input. What is the minimum MCAT score I should obtain? and am I looking at a very resistive road ahead?

Thanks in advance,

trojjanhorse