Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

^Assuming you can get any MCAT score you would like, you want to get an 11 in VR and a 10 in the science sections to be eligible for all schools in Ontario. Obviously, you want to get as high a score as possible as that gives you a better chance at U of Manitoba (and Mac and Calgary with a higher VR). Unfortunately, VR is the hardest section to improve, although with practice you should be able to get 11+. If you are not a french speaker/Ottawa resident then U of Ottawa is out for you. You need another year of school with a 3.95+ to bring your gpa to the cutoff. That leaves you with Western, Queens, U of T, and Mac in Ontario (unless you meet one of the categories for NOSM: rural, northern resident, aboriginal, francophone, etc.). You do have a very good shot at getting in somewhere (especially with good MCAT score), but you have to sell yourself on your ABS, and you have to remember that there is some luck involved in the process for even the best applicants.

^Assuming you can get any MCAT score you would like, you want to get an 11 in VR and a 10 in the science sections to be eligible for all schools in Ontario. Obviously, you want to get as high a score as possible as that gives you a better chance at U of Manitoba (and Mac and Calgary with a higher VR). Unfortunately, VR is the hardest section to improve, although with practice you should be able to get 11+. If you are not a french speaker/Ottawa resident then U of Ottawa is out for you. You need another year of school with a 3.95+ to bring your gpa to the cutoff. That leaves you with Western, Queens, U of T, and Mac in Ontario (unless you meet one of the categories for NOSM: rural, northern resident, aboriginal, francophone, etc.). You do have a very good shot at getting in somewhere (especially with good MCAT score), but you have to sell yourself on your ABS, and you have to remember that there is some luck involved in the process for even the best applicants.

Thanks for taking the time to write the above. Verbal is the hardest section for me... I haven't practiced much to begin with but I have to keep at it I suppose. I'll crack open the 101 VR passages by EK. A lot of colleagues have told me that the best way to improve is by practice and many recommended 101 VR passages by EK.

I'm not sure if I fit the NOSM categories. I immigrated from Azerbaijan (country i was born in) 12 years ago to Canada, does that help? lol

You mentioned to take another year of school to boost my GPA and then you later mentioned "That leaves you with Western, Queens, U of T, and Mac in Ontario". The last quoted sentence... is that with the boost or without? I really don't want to go back to undergraduate studies and instead use the time to improve my MCAT chances and get more clinical exposure.

Move to Quebec for a year and apply @ McGill as an IP.

Doesn't that seem like a drastic measure just for one school? Does anyone else suggest this as well?

Der Kaiser has more or less covered what you need to do. I think he was talking about if you want to apply to Ottawa, that you should take another year of school. But for the rest mentioned, no I don't believe you need another year.

Thanks for clarifying that :)

I'll go look around to see what is an effective practice to improve VR. Thanks again to everyone who replied!

I wanted to avoid being annoying and posting this to find out "my chances." But with exams coming up, and finishing up third year, there's a million and one thoughts rushing through my head and after thinking about it for so long and not coming to any conclusions, I would really appreciate ANY feedback and guidance because it's been driving me crazy lately :(

I'm in 3rd year of a co-op BSc program, but I sort of messed up..

1st year (A,B,B,C+,B-,B-,B+,A,B,B) cGPA=3.11 wGPA(with 1 full-yr course dropped)=3.26

2nd year (B+, A-, A, B+, A+,A,F,A,B-,A) GPA=2.8, wGPA=3.76 Also, retook the failed course in the summer and got an A.

3rd year not going so well. So far, I've got an A, A, C, B, C+ and this term isn't looking too good, as I was planned :(.

ECs:

Mental health club exec, undergrad science club exec, residence don, student leader, residence council rep, hospital volunteer at age 17, no music/sports involvement

So my questions are, I still have 2 more yrs in my program (it's 5 yrs because of co-op), but I only have 2 academic terms left. I haven't written my MCAT yet, but I plan on doing it in Jan 2013 so I can focus on full-time research for co-op in the summer while taking an MCAT course, and then do well in the fall term, study for the MCAT and take it at the end of Jan as I'm starting my 2nd co-op term next winter. I also have a thesis/co-op between May and Dec 2013. I've looked at all the threads of 2nd degree vs Master's vs taking time off for work, but I'd really like personalized opinions if it's not too much :(. So I'm not too sure what to do after graduating, whether a Master's (course-based or research thesis) would be more helpful in my situation, 2nd degree (I was thinking a BA in gerontology- took a course in 2nd year and LOVED it), or taking time for an internship/research/work, etc.

Also, for my co-ops I can do it in research in academia or a pharmaceutical company, government. And I'm not sure which path to focus on for my next co-op. Any advice?

Thank you! You guys are amazing, and that's why I thought that this is the best place to ask for advice.

Katie, you certainly have a busy schedule! My advice is to follow your interests for whatever your Plan B is. I would think that co-ops with a company or government may open more doors for the future. I think a 2nd degree would be of more value for med than a Masters but this may conflict with a Plan B. I also would recommend that you take a break and work after your degree - giving you an opportunity to earn some money and let your thoughts gel free from the constant academic pressures you now face, as you gain valuable experience in the working world. Then, you can reflect on what further steps to take to make yourself a competitve applicant for medicine.

Katie, you certainly have a busy schedule! My advice is to follow your interests for whatever your Plan B is. I would think that co-ops with a company or government may open more doors for the future. I think a 2nd degree would be of more value for med than a Masters but this may conflict with a Plan B. I also would recommend that you take a break and work after your degree - giving you an opportunity to earn some money and let your thoughts gel free from the constant academic pressures you now face, as you gain valuable experience in the working world. Then, you can reflect on what further steps to take to make yourself a competitve applicant for medicine.

Thank you so much for the advice future_doc. That's definitely something that's been on my mind for a while. The only problem is that I have a lot of plan Bs and nothing seems to be remotely as appealing to me as a future career besides medicine. It's like everything is equal after that, but I know that's the wrong approach. Thank you for the feedback though, it's good getting an objective view on things.

Thanks for taking the time to write the above. Verbal is the hardest section for me... I haven't practiced much to begin with but I have to keep at it I suppose. I'll crack open the 101 VR passages by EK. A lot of colleagues have told me that the best way to improve is by practice and many recommended 101 VR passages by EK.

I'm not sure if I fit the NOSM categories. I immigrated from Azerbaijan (country i was born in) 12 years ago to Canada, does that help? lol

You mentioned to take another year of school to boost my GPA and then you later mentioned "That leaves you with Western, Queens, U of T, and Mac in Ontario". The last quoted sentence... is that with the boost or without? I really don't want to go back to undergraduate studies and instead use the time to improve my MCAT chances and get more clinical exposure.

Doesn't that seem like a drastic measure just for one school? Does anyone else suggest this as well?

Sorry if that was unclear. The extra year is only for Ottawa. Your gpa is good for Western, Queens, Mac, and maybe U of T.

Hi all, so I am a longtime lurker here, and have been starting to seriously consider applying to med school. Of course the natural next step is to get some opinions on my chances, so here are my details:

GPA's per year

1: 3.29

2: 3.29

3: 3.65

4: 3.92

cGPA: 3.54

Best two years: 3.785

(UofT)wGPA: 3.766

(UofO)wGPA: 3.725

I'm currently doing an MSc at UWO (about to enter my second year) in biology. I have a few presentations and one first authour paper currently in reviews with Animal Behaviour (IP: 3.54). In addition, I have also been a TA for a first year biology and two upper-year biology classes.

Extra-curriculars: 7 years of theatre experience (highschool, community, university and 3 professional productions), two years as director/performer of theatre production addressing pertinent first year issues, study skills tutor for two years, intramural hockey, intramural curling participant and executive member, Chernoff family award undergrad scholarship (Queen's - $48,000), employment at ontario lung association for two summers, blah, blah, blah.

Now I know that my graduate student status is not going to help me many places (except for maybe Queen's), but I'm not sure I have a shot at many other places. UWO definitely not, maybe Mac, UofT or Ottawa?

Thanks for the help!

Your graduate student status will get extra points at McMaster, but only if you have completed your degree at the time of application:

"Those applicants with a completed and conferred graduate degree at the time of application will receive the following advantage on the formula determining likelihood of invitation to interview:

Master's Degree holders: +0.01; PhD Degree holders: +0.04

Based on past years' experience, this will provide a significant, albeit not decisive, advantage for graduate degree holders."

http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/mdprog/graduate_work.html

At Toronto, your application gets reviewed separately if you are a graduate student who will be done by June 30 before the September start date:

"Graduate students may apply if they are enrolled in the final stages of their graduate program. Applications from graduate students who will not be finished their degree by June 30 in the proposed year of entry will not be considered."

http://www.md.utoronto.ca/admissions/information/requirements/Graduate.htm

Hope that helps answer your question! Best of luck.

Now I know that my graduate student status is not going to help me many places (except for maybe Queen's), but I'm not sure I have a shot at many other places. UWO definitely not, maybe Mac, UofT or Ottawa?

Thanks for the help!

Sorry if that was unclear. The extra year is only for Ottawa. Your gpa is good for Western, Queens, Mac, and maybe U of T.

Thank you Der Kaiser. If I apply this cycle, which state schools do you suggest? Reputable schools that would be relatively easy to continue residency in Canada afterwards. If I were to score a 10 on Verbal or 9, I suppose my chances for an interview is very slim?

Thank you Der Kaiser. If I apply this cycle, which state schools do you suggest? Reputable schools that would be relatively easy to continue residency in Canada afterwards. If I were to score a 10 on Verbal or 9, I suppose my chances for an interview is very slim?

Do you mean American schools? You can look on the American forum section for a list that accepts Canadians. Most of the Ivey leagues do, but you would need a high MCAT to stand a chance from what I've read (like 32-33+). I think Boston U takes Canadians, as does Michigan State (not 100% sure on that one). Also, quite a number of Doctor of Osteopathy schools take Canadians (DO is equivalent to MD in U.S. and some provinces of Canada).

Thank you so much for the advice future_doc. That's definitely something that's been on my mind for a while. The only problem is that I have a lot of plan Bs and nothing seems to be remotely as appealing to me as a future career besides medicine. It's like everything is equal after that, but I know that's the wrong approach. Thank you for the feedback though, it's good getting an objective view on things.

At this stage of the game, you are not competitive, I am unsure if your ECs/volunteering make the grade and you need a break badly. So, at this time, for practical reasons you need a Plan B, Plan C. Cut down the choices so you have an effective backup plan. Then, after getting your breath and aiming for a realistic Plan B, you can decide what steps to take to make yourself competitive.

Are you sure there's no other healthcare profession that you like beside MD? I used to think the same, but then I realized I could have some healthcare professions as Plan Bs. One should keep an open mind about the other healthcare professions.