Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

3 hours a week if one is nearby & you can start in summer

Yeah, looking into applying at VGH. Although it'd be a pain to go in the summer (1.5 hour commute from where I live right now), it's close to UBC. Finding two references that have known me for 2 years is going to be tough though lol.

Hey guys,

I'm a third year applicant looking to apply in the fall to all possible Canadian medical schools.

GPA: 3.95+

MCAT: Have not written

ECs: Hospital volunteer (100 hrs), teaching at a children's science camp (1 summer, 6-7 hrs/day), volunteering at a several smaller events (school tour guide for incoming students, website development for smaller charity events as advertising, cancer research runs, cultural festivals), tutoring (grade 12 science/math), writing and editing for the university newspaper (2.5 yrs - junior, then senior editor), intramural sports (2 yrs)

Awards: 3-4 high school awards, 1 university in-course award (for top mark), 2 other scholarships from the university (academic based - $3000 and $1500), national chem contest (99%ile)

Research (no pubs, but good experiences): (1) With a professor who taught me. He knows how I work in groups/as a leader etc. (2) Employed by prof (who did not teach me) for 1 summer. (3) Volunteering in a third lab.

LORs: the three aforementioned profs in research. Most of my volunteering experiences had either no supervisor or I have lost touch with them.

I'm really unsure as to how strong (or weak) my ECs are and I'm also unsure as to how my LORs will look (although 1-2 of my professors will be able to comment on my non-academic skills as well). Overall, what do you guys think?

Thanks for the help!

Hey guys,

I'm a third year applicant looking to apply in the fall to all possible Canadian medical schools.

ECs: Hospital volunteer (100 hrs), teaching at a children's science camp (1 summer, 6-7 hrs/day), volunteering at a several smaller events (school tour guide for incoming students, website development for smaller charity events as advertising, cancer research runs, cultural festivals), tutoring (grade 12 science/math), writing and editing for the university newspaper (2.5 yrs - junior, then senior editor), intramural sports (2 yrs)

Awards: 3-4 high school awards, 1 university in-course award (for top mark), 2 other scholarships from the university (academic based - $3000 and $1500), national chem contest (99%ile)

Research (no pubs, but good experiences): (1) With a professor who taught me. He knows how I work in groups/as a leader etc. (2) Employed by prof (who did not teach me) for 1 summer. (3) Volunteering in a third lab.

LORs: the three aforementioned profs in research. Most of my volunteering experiences had either no supervisor or I have lost touch with them.

I'm really unsure as to how strong (or weak) my ECs are and I'm also unsure as to how my LORs will look (although 1-2 of my professors will be able to comment on my non-academic skills as well). Overall, what do you guys think?

Thanks for the help!

What university do you go to?

Hey guys,

Thanks for the help!

Nothing in your overall plan suggests major problems other than getting that MCAT out of the way. You have a reasonable mix of things I think. Any chance someone at the camps could right you a LOR (it would be an option).

Hey guys,

Thanks for the help!

Youve got the marks (and presumably will have the MCAT, given your academic achievement. I would say you have impressive, but average, ECs. At this point, you most certainly have an appropriate quantity of volunteering, but I would focus medically/patient oriented activities beyond the hospital.

During my interview, I was asked point blank to explain what I had done to familiarize myself with what medical school and eventual medical practice would entail. My volunteering had in fact been tailored so I could answer exactly that question myself. I was involved with a children's oncology camp (where I met many residents, nurses, clerks etc. across peds, oncology and FM) and also Easter Seals swimming, where I interacted with families undergoing stresses in their lives similar to what people might undergo while having a family member in the hospital. In addition to serving my community and experincing that warm tingly feeling that comes from helping others, I was able to get some grasp on what I was signing up for.

I think you have an excellent application, but you could probably add slightly more depth by adding in a bit more of the above flavour. Not only will you improve your EC section, but the maturity you will gain will come across in spades in the interview.

Best of luck!

Youve got the marks (and presumably will have the MCAT, given your academic achievement. I would say you have impressive, but average, ECs. At this point, you most certainly have an appropriate quantity of volunteering, but I would focus medically/patient oriented activities beyond the hospital.

During my interview, I was asked point blank to explain what I had done to familiarize myself with what medical school and eventual medical practice would entail. My volunteering had in fact been tailored so I could answer exactly that question myself. I was involved with a children's oncology camp (where I met many residents, nurses, clerks etc. across peds, oncology and FM) and also Easter Seals swimming, where I interacted with families undergoing stresses in their lives similar to what people might undergo while having a family member in the hospital. In addition to serving my community and experincing that warm tingly feeling that comes from helping others, I was able to get some grasp on what I was signing up for.

I think you have an excellent application, but you could probably add slightly more depth by adding in a bit more of the above flavour. Not only will you improve your EC section, but the maturity you will gain will come across in spades in the interview.

Best of luck!

Would you say shadowing a physician would help me answer that question?

I hope you guys can give me some genuine advice on my chances :o Thanks!

3rd year applicant (entering 3rd year this fall).

Undergrad: UTSG

Resident of Toronto.

OMSAS GPA 3.96

Ottawa GPA: 3.97

Average: 90.3%

MCAT: Unknown (rewriting)

ECs and Achievements:

• 2 publications in small impact journals, 2nd Author and Co-author. I might be getting a 1st author in a small impact journal this summer too if all goes well.

• Volunteering of 200+hrs at a local hospital.

• Vice-President of a club, executive of another.

• Valedictorian of my HS (should i even list this?)

I approximate my score to be around 32Q (with like a 9 or 10 in VR).

i know UWO is out since I'm a 3rd year applicant. Do you think that my ECs are weak?

Realistically, which medical schools should I be applying for?

Thank you!

Resident of Toronto.

OMSAS GPA 3.96

ECs and Achievements:

• 2 publications in small impact journals, 2nd Author and Co-author. I might be getting a 1st author in a small impact journal this summer too if all goes well.

i know UWO is out since I'm a 3rd year applicant. Do you think that my ECs are weak?

Thank you!

Not sure if trolling or serious, but i'll answer any way: you are in good shape. Keep it up.

Like the previous poster asked, is being the Valedictorian of our HS something we should put? I always assumed HS achievements are irrelevant, but I think this may be somewhat significant.

definitely put that. are you kidding? haha. people put madatory volunteer hrs down from hs days. competitive sports, math club, etc. valedictorian is boss as eff. basically says you were the most amiable person in the class. i guess it could have other implications, but you'd be hard pressed to find one of a negative nature.

Best of luck!

BruceWayne, rmorelan, future_doc and Blade Runner, thank you very much! I will definitely take your considerations into account. I've actually been trying hard to look for a shadowing-type position but the hospitals around my area just don't allow shadowing period and the clinics aren't really interested in having me around :( I'll still keep trying hard!

Thanks again!

BruceWayne, rmorelan, future_doc and Blade Runner, thank you very much! I will definitely take your considerations into account. I've actually been trying hard to look for a shadowing-type position but the hospitals around my area just don't allow shadowing period and the clinics aren't really interested in having me around :( I'll still keep trying hard!

Thanks again!

No problem! And yeah, I'm pretty confident you'll get a few interviews, and even if you're not successful post interview, that's still valuable experience.

Would you say shadowing a physician would help me answer that question?

I think that this would be one way of doing that, but I don't know how easy it is to get in with a physician. The reason I specifically mentioned the camps ( and they exist for oncology, diabetes as well as physical disabilities) is that you will encounter people in a range of specialties in different stages of their education or careers. It is easier to become involved with these projects in a long term sense, and you will develop a deeper and more personal relationship with the type of people you need to meet. You will also hear about the (sometimes harsh!) realities of the service you are considering devoting your life to. As an example, I discovered that while surgery is really cool and I would love doing it, I don't believe I could devote my life to it in the manner that is required to be completely competent.

Finally, for someone with a busy schedule, it is a way of delivering some high impact service in a condensed period of time. As a graduate student for the past two years, I would have had great difficulty committing to something at a set time every week beyond one particular project I was already involved with. Taking a week off each summer was something I could realistically plan around.

Hi all, I'm going to be doing a fifth year starting in the fall to increase my CGPA and up my ECs. However, I was hoping you might be able to shed some light on my chances at the likes of Western and Queens (and anywhere else that I might be ignoring) who I would certainly like to apply to in the fall. I'm a resident of Ottawa.

Marks:

1st: 2.7

2nd: 3.31 (Not FCL)

3rd: 3.73

4th: 3.88

cGPA: ~3.4

MCAT:

34Q (13VR, 11BS, 10PS)

ECs (I'm only including my time in uni, but is the rule 16+ as I've heard? EDIT: just read the start of this page):

3 years of research (maybe 1 pub), lots of intramural sports, 3 years with the center for students with disabilities, soccer coach, couple scholarships, held a handful of jobs including with a test prep company, some miscellaneous high school achievement

My questions:

Do I need to beef up my MCAT?

What's lacking in my ECs?

At which schools might I get an interview/stand a chance if applying in September?

Thank you very much (in advance)!

Hi all, I'm going to be doing a fifth year starting in the fall to increase my CGPA and up my ECs. However, I was hoping you might be able to shed some light on my chances at the likes of Western and Queens (and anywhere else that I might be ignoring) who I would certainly like to apply to in the fall. I'm a resident of Ottawa.

Marks:

MCAT:

34Q (13VR, 11BS, 10PS)

ECs (I'm only including my time in uni, but is the rule 16+ as I've heard? EDIT: just read the start of this page):

3 years of research (maybe 1 pub), lots of intramural sports, 3 years with the center for students with disabilities, soccer coach, couple scholarships, held a handful of jobs including with a test prep company, some miscellaneous high school achievement

My questions:

At which schools might I get an interview/stand a chance if applying in September?

Your ECs and MCAT is fine, but your GPA is really low, so any school that takes ALL years is out of the question. I know some schools only take your last/best 2 years and that would give you a decent shot I'd say. I think it was Western (?).

Marks:

MCAT:

34Q (13VR, 11BS, 10PS)

My questions:

You're basically a lock to interview at western as long as your last 2 years follow the 3/5 rule. You meet the academic cutoffs for Queens (gpa + mcat). Even though your EC's aren't the strongest, definitely apply as I believe you have a decent shot at an interview. Mac looks at your cGPA but it holds the same weight as you VR score (which is awesome) so you got a shot there. I'm not too sure about other schools. Basically, keep getting solid grades and work to improve those EC's. You are in a very good position considering your first 2 years.

Resident of Toronto.

OMSAS GPA 3.96

ECs and Achievements:

Thank you!

Shady thanks for your reply. I'm not trolling :o

Do you guys think there are any aspects in my application which I am lacking in? Considering I'm a 3rd year applicant, should I bother with Mcgill (OOP), Alberta or Calgary? Even if I do get an interview at these schools, traveling fees are going to quite expensive (probably not worth it if my chances as a 3rd year are slim?)

I appreciate your feedback and comments! Thanks!

Shady thanks for your reply. I'm not trolling :o

Do you guys think there are any aspects in my application which I am lacking in? Considering I'm a 3rd year applicant, should I bother with Mcgill (OOP), Alberta or Calgary? Even if I do get an interview at these schools, traveling fees are going to quite expensive (probably not worth it if my chances as a 3rd year are slim?)

I appreciate your feedback and comments! Thanks!

McGill accepts no one without a bac (except for cegepians).