Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

Okay, might as well throw my stats into this thread. I'm a non-trad, second degree student.

First degree was in biomedical engineering. Did not take a full course load in most semesters due to health issues (which is what got me interested in medicine in the first place).

Engineering grades:

Y1 (full course load): 3.94

Half Year (only did half a year of 4 courses): 3.95

Y2 (9 courses): 3.96

Y3 (major health issues, 8 courses): 3.62

Y4 (still major health issues, 5 courses): 3.64

Y5 (half year to finish up degree, full course load of 5 courses): 3.92

Awards during engineering:

PEO Gold Medal

Dean's Scholarship

Nutrition grades:

Y1: 3.96

Y2: 4.00

Awards during nutrition:

NSERC USRA

ECs:

Group fitness (ie. aerobics) instructor

Volunteer group fitness instructor for numerous organizations, including currently volunteering at the Y

Running (completed three full marathons, a dozen half-marathons)

Triathlons (two sprint triathlons completed)

Volunteer note-taker for the Centre for Students with Disabilities

Volunteer annually at a major fitness conference

United Way Campaign volunteer two years while working as a public servant

Student member of Dietitians of Canada

Work Experience:

Group fitness instructor (8 years)

Project manager for the Canadian Health Network at Health Canada in Ottawa (2 years)

Languages:

English (mother tongue)

French (excellent ability - Public Service Commission Levels: EEC - C is for my oral/speaking ability) - I'm not fluent, but very close

I will be writing the MCAT this summer. I know my volunteer experiences need a bit more fleshing out - just as a non-trad I've found this hard to do at times (ie. peer helper positions aren't open to me, because I'm too old to be a peer to most undergrads). The bulk of my volunteer experiences are as a group fitness instructor.

I'm hoping to start volunteering in a long term care home as a dining room/meal companion, I just need to complete my safe food handler certification first. I'm currently working full-time as a research assistant through an NSERC USRA, so that, combined with my group fitness volunteering, my running, and my family life, take up the bulk of my time.

Assuming I do well on the MCAT (and my practice tests are going well), and that I am able to keep my marks up for my third and final year of my second degree, is it even worth applying, given my first degree? Anything else I can do, other than seeking out more volunteer opportunities in a health care setting?

Location: current Ontario resident. Did high school in Ottawa (and most of elementary school - grades 3 onwards). University in Ontario. Born in Manitoba and lived there until age 8.

My OMSAS GPA:

1st year: 3.35

2nd year: 3.9

3rd year: 3.93

Will be in 4th year starting September 2012. I am expecting to get at least 3.9 in 4th year but I guess it wont count since I am planning to apply this year. took full course load all 3 years.

wGPA for UofT: 3.92

wGPA for ottawa: 3.83

MCAT: wrote it last year but got 7/11/11. I will be re-writing next month and hoping to fix verbal score.

EC:

- Hospital volunteering: 5 years

- International Volunteering (India): volunteered in vaccination camp in India in summer of Gr 12

- Old age home: 3 years

- Lets Talk Science: organizing events on campus. doing presentations in high schools on science topic, participating in science activities etc (2 years)

-Research: Took a research course (4 months)

- Thesis: will be doing my Thesis this year (10 months)

-Intermural sport (cricket): 1 year

- University clubs: founder and co-president of 1 and Vice President finance of another club

-Undergrad Bio Lab volunteer: 3 years

-Student Walk Home organization at my university: 1 year

- some academic awards, 1-2 sports awards, etc.

What is my chance of getting accepted or even an interview invite this year in Canada? If I dont get in this year then I am planning to do Masters and re-apply after completing masters.

You have a good shot at any school that will take away your worst year. Don't know which schools do off the top of my head though. Anything that includes the first year and you're probably out of luck. Re-write the MCAT and try to get 30+ and you'll have a real good shot at UofT.

Oh and I think Queen's and Western takes your last/best 2 years.

NutritionRunner what constitutes "too old" to mentor undergrad students?

I was told that, as someone in her early 30s, I was not considered a "peer" to undergraduates who are 18-22, and they would look on me more as a prof or grad student, and not a fellow undergrad. Therefore I would not be suitable for advising them or helping them as a peer counsellor, because they supposedly would not feel comfortable with me the way they would with someone their own age.

Which sucks, because most of the volunteer opportunities on campus are peer helper positions. Oh well, I'm volunteering out in the community instead, where my age is not a factor.

I've only just recently started considering medicine; I'm not sure Im cut out 'for it. But I'm curious as to whether I even have a shot ...

OMSAS gpa:

YEAR1: 3.61

YEAR2: 3.03

YEAR3: 3.63. (3.88 in second semester, after having finally gotten my sh*t together, Im confident i can maintain high grades)

cGPA: 3.44

Now going into fourth year though I plan on taking a 5th year.

Haven't written the MCAT

Very limited ECs:

Research assistant, 1 lab for 8 months (ongoing), another lab 5 months (ongoing). Plan on taking two research courses (4 months each) in this upcoming year, and thesis in fifth year.

Volunteer notetaker 1 year

Hospital volunteer 3 months

:):confused:

I've only just recently started considering medicine; I'm not sure Im cut out 'for it. But I'm curious as to whether I even have a shot ...

OMSAS gpa:

YEAR1: 3.61

YEAR2: 3.03

YEAR3: 3.63. (3.88 in second semester, after having finally gotten my sh*t together, Im confident i can maintain high grades)

cGPA: 3.44

Now going into fourth year though I plan on taking a 5th year.

Haven't written the MCAT

Very limited ECs:

Research assistant, 1 lab for 8 months (ongoing), another lab 5 months (ongoing). Plan on taking two research courses (4 months each) in this upcoming year, and thesis in fifth year.

Volunteer notetaker 1 year

Hospital volunteer 3 months

:):confused:

sorry to be a downer, but those GPAs wont cut it at vast majority of (if not all) Canadian schools.

UNLESS...you are eligible for wGPA at U of T and dropping your worst grades give a significant boost to your wGPA from OMSAS cGPA. You need to have a minimum of 3.60 wGPA as an undergrad applicant

I guess, theoretically, you still have a shot at getting a 'conditional' offer at UWO provided that you get 3.70+ or 3.75+ in this coming year and then you apply in your 5th yr of undergrad. But that 11 VR cutoff has to met in addition to that

outside shot at mac as well? provided that you ace MCAT VR & CASPER? But it's still a formidable challenge. but not impossible, I'd say

I guess, theoretically, you still have a shot at getting a 'conditional' offer at UWO provided that you get 3.70+ or 3.75+ in this coming year and then you apply in your 5th yr of undergrad. But that 11 VR cutoff has to met in addition to that

Good point, UWO, Queens and Dal are probably the best ones to consider, but the MCAT is indeed a big hurdle, especially VR for UWO. Another important aspect is whether the OP has in-province advantage somewhere, or has US PR/citizenship (maybe a shot at DO, again depending on the MCAT).

This is a long shot, but what are my chances (if any) at Canadian med schools?

- Recently completed my 5th year of undergrad (Honours BSc)

- Y1: 2.7

Y2: 2.8

Y3: 3.2

Y4: 4.0

Y5: 4.0

cGPA ~3.5 (including a few summer courses)

- MCAT: 41S (B15, V13, P13)

- 2 years in a research lab (one volunteering, one working) - one publication

- 1 year in another lab (for thesis) - possible publication

- photographer/photo editor for student's union (2 years)

- placed positions in various photo competitions

- fundraising initiative for the Heart and Stroke foundation (2 years) - raised ~$1000 to date

- a few scholarships in the last two years

- associated with Canadian Cancer Society (5 years - not continuous)

- volunteered in two walk-in clinics for 2 years

- frosh week student leader (2 years)

- currently tutoring MCAT

Looks good to me! You have a nice upward trend, will benefit from schools that look at most recent gpa and stress mcat. Should get interviews at queens and western, if you do well on Casper you can get one at mac too. My grades we like yours, applied last year with cgpa 3.63, high 2nd/3rd year grades and 36S mcat and I got into the 3 aforementioned schools

Looks good to me! You have a nice upward trend, will benefit from schools that look at most recent gpa and stress mcat. Should get interviews at queens and western, if you do well on Casper you can get one at mac too. My grades we like yours, applied last year with cgpa 3.63, high 2nd/3rd year grades and 36S mcat and I got into the 3 aforementioned schools

You're awesome. Thank you so much for your input! Congrats on your acceptances as well ;) you must be super excited!

Meanwhile, do you think there is anything else I can do to further boost my chances for this cycle?

You're awesome. Thank you so much for your input! Congrats on your acceptances as well ;) you must be super excited!

Meanwhile, do you think there is anything else I can do to further boost my chances for this cycle?

Apply broadly. I recommend that you apply to Manitoba too because they are very mcat heavy. Besides the schools already mentioned, you may have a shot at some others as well. Look into every school in Canada to see where you stand.

This is a long shot, but what are my chances (if any) at Canadian med schools?

- Recently completed my 5th year of undergrad (Honours BSc)

- Y1: 2.7

Y2: 2.8

Y3: 3.2

Y4: 4.0

Y5: 4.0

cGPA ~3.5 (including a few summer courses)

- MCAT: 41S (B15, V13, P13)

- 2 years in a research lab (one volunteering, one working) - one publication

- 1 year in another lab (for thesis) - possible publication

- photographer/photo editor for student's union (2 years)

- placed positions in various photo competitions

- fundraising initiative for the Heart and Stroke foundation (2 years) - raised ~$1000 to date

- a few scholarships in the last two years

- associated with Canadian Cancer Society (5 years - not continuous)

- volunteered in two walk-in clinics for 2 years

- frosh week student leader (2 years)

- currently tutoring MCAT

Also consider applying to U of Manitoba.

Their pre-interview formula is: 73%MCAT and 27%AGPA. Seeing as your MCAT score is insane, you have an extremely high chance of getting an interview. I looked at the statistics last year for the OOP pool and the highest MCAT someone had in the OOP pool was 13.5 I believe and you have a 13.6.

Since you said you completed 5 years of undergrad, so you completed more than a 120 credit hours they will drop the lowest 30 credit hours (so your lowest 10 marks will be dropped!!). I think you definitely have a chance, so consider applying there (provided you have all the prerequisites).

And yeah, you have a chance at Queens and Western and McMaster. Also UofC--they drop your lowest courses I believe, multiply your GPA by 2 and add your VR score and then they might consider you for file-review. Seeing as your EC's are pretty good too, you have a chance there as well. I would apply broadly if I were at any case. You never know.

cupcakes2: Write to or speak to Michel Dansereau, head of adcoms at McGill as altho you do not technically meet, their 3.90 GPA requirement for out of province applicants, in view of your consistent 4.0 GPA for the last 2 years and your outstanding MCAT score, they may well consider your application as an OOP. It is worth a discussion with Dansereau. Obviously, you are not looking for an acceptance, only for meritorious consideration notwithstanding you do not meet the OOP 3.90 GPA requirement.

And if they say no harm to apply (you cannot expect more), your Abstract will need to be outstanding together with Narrative and other submissions. I would be happy to give you private input. :)

My OMSAS GPA:

1st year: 3.35

2nd year: 3.9

3rd year: 3.93

Will be in 4th year starting September 2012. I am expecting to get at least 3.9 in 4th year but I guess it wont count since I am planning to apply this year. took full course load all 3 years.

wGPA for UofT: 3.92

wGPA for ottawa: 3.83

MCAT: wrote it last year but got 7/11/11. I will be re-writing next month and hoping to fix verbal score.

EC:

- Hospital volunteering: 5 years

- International Volunteering (India): volunteered in vaccination camp in India in summer of Gr 12

- Old age home: 3 years

- Lets Talk Science: organizing events on campus. doing presentations in high schools on science topic, participating in science activities etc (2 years)

-Research: Took a research course (4 months)

- Thesis: will be doing my Thesis this year (10 months)

-Intermural sport (cricket): 1 year

- University clubs: founder and co-president of 1 and Vice President finance of another club

-Undergrad Bio Lab volunteer: 3 years

-Student Walk Home organization at my university: 1 year

- some academic awards, 1-2 sports awards, etc.

What is my chance of getting accepted or even an interview invite this year in Canada? If I dont get in this year then I am planning to do Masters and re-apply after completing masters.

Worth spending $140 @ McGill even though technically you don't qualify as OOP and you will need killer Abstract. U/T is w/i grasp and U/O likely needs another year. If you meet MCAT cutoffs, Queen's & UWO are w/i your grasp.

Apply broadly. I recommend that you apply to Manitoba too because they are very mcat heavy. Besides the schools already mentioned, you may have a shot at some others as well. Look into every school in Canada to see where you stand.

If you're applying as OOP to Manitoba be prepared to apply with a 37+ mcat... Otherwise its a huge waste of your time.

@Outlaw and @amethystdoc: Thanks a bunch! Will definitely look into & probably apply to out of province schools as well. I was just more interested in in-province because of family, finances, etc.

@future_doc: That's a great idea actually. I never considered applying there before because of my low cGPA. I will contact him and let you know what he says. I'll most likely take you up on that offer for advice as well... very soon! Thank you! :)

I really appreciate the input, guys. Although I've had hopes for Western and Queens, all I've been hearing from people is that I don't have a chance at Canadian med schools because of my seemingly low cGPA and that it would be a waste of money to apply. But this definitely gives me hope!

Hey all! I would really appreciate any advice on Canadian schools I should maybe avoid applying to...and possibly what my chances look like..

I am a UNBSJ student heading into 4th year Bachelor of Science Biology major

My GPA : 1st year 4.0+

2nd year 3.8

3rd year 3.7 (due to 1 C+ I got from an experimental lab course ugh)

OMSAS GPA is a 3.7 or 3.8

I have 2 years research doing a student work program during school year while taking over a full course load.

1 year tutoring under privileged high schoolers (continuing again next school year)

1 year mentoring under privileged middle school child (continuing again next school year)

NSERC/WATER grant this year in same lab doing more research..may be listed on a pub. by next year but probably wont add.

MFR St. John ambulance volunteer-started this spring

member golden key society

Deans list

lots of little scholarships for low income etc.

MCAT PS-6 VR-11 BS-9 M

retaking as PS was a disaster..never got a score like this on any practice test but I am studying hard to bring up everything as well.

retaking in less thank 2 weeks for this cycle.

I am definitely applying to Dal and Mun..and would like to apply almost everywhere in canada?

Not sure if some schools look at complete history/family life (holistic) but...

I have 2 daughters under 3.

I was born in USA but have dual citizenship.

From very low income, not sure if this matters...life has been pretty against me and had no idea I could pursue my dream like this. Went back to university after taking a couple years off after high school, reason being my somewhat estranged father and grandmother who raised me died from cancer within months of each other. I saw what each had to go through so I am sure I can handle being a doctor. I am very proud of what I have overcome to get to this point :)

Thanks alot everyone!!