Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

Cdawso23: I would be worried about that too since your score is awesome in every other section, I think western as with most places looks at most recent score so it could be an issue but double check on that to be sure. I think probably of I were you as long as you have the 3/5 rule for the years you have above 3.7 I would apply with your current score since you're swomen- seems like you'd have a good shot!

Thanks for the advice! Should I really put all my eggs in one basket though, so to speak?

Well I think it depends on your precise situation, you mayy still be able to get an interview at queens since I think thy look at your overall mcat as well as individual sections, Ottawa doesn't need mcat and your gpa is decent for there. Mac you're good also, and northern don't apply since you're not northern rural (waste of money, I speak from experience. You're out for u of t but I think you have chances at the rest mentioned :)

Hey guys, I was hoping for some opinions on whether or not I should/need to write my MCAT again with the GPA and EC's that I have.

MCAT

30S: 10/10/10 S

GPA

year 1: 3.5

year 2: 3.52

year 3: 3.95

year 4: 3.98

EC

Sports: Varsity football at McMaster 1 year, Australian rules football player 2 summers, Rep league baseball player 3 years, American rules football player 5 years, Rep hockey player 5 years

Volunteering: physiotherapy assistant 1 summer, children's sports coach 2 years, elderly exercise supervisor 1 fall, female football coach

Academics: Undergrad thesis + 1 conference presentation, volunteer research assistant 1 summer, honour list 4 year, golden key member, 2 academic graduation awards.

this will be my 2nd application cycle after a year of not receiving interviews, and I'm wondering if I have enough to make up for my MCAT given my 2 year GPA and EC's this time around.

I don't have organic chemistry, english or physics courses done so that cuts me out of Ottawa, Manitoba, UBC and maritime schools but I'm wondering about McMaster, U of T and Queen's.

I'm wondering if there is any point in trying to apply to Ontario Med Schools for entry after 3rd year if I have a GPA of:

1st year 3.7

2nd year 3.8

...I would include the other parts of my application, but I just want to know if the GPA ruins my chances (if not, where could I apply?)

Thanks

Depends on the school! We would have fully evaluating you without all the data - which is why we always ask for it :). If you were full time at 5.0 credits each year if one a few courses are dropping your GPA TO is not out of the picture, neither is western or queens with that GPA as it stands if you hit the rest of their rules. If you do well on the MCAT particularly the VR section then Mac is not unreasonable. NOSM is only for rural really but I don't know where you are from. Ottawa you are a bit below their GPA cut offs but if you get 3.9 (continuing your upward trend) you would hit their GPA cut off for applying as well.

That is just Ontario - if you are not from there we can go one that as well.

I just finished 2nd year in Molecular Bio and I am considering applying to Ottawa, Queen's (dream university since my family is from around there), McMaster and Toronto. With these stats, do I have a reasonable chance if I apply this October or should I just wait another year and apply then? Is there any university out of those 4 that I simply should not bother to apply for? Any part of my application that is particularly weak?

GPA (without summer): 3.93

GPA (with summer): 3.88

MCAT: Writing in mid-August

ECs (Are these okay or below average?)

-Lab volunteer in 2 labs (One was for 1 year and another is 4 months and continuing) - no publications

-Shadowing a family physician for around 8-10 hours/week for 3 months and continuing (also working on a clinical research projects with lots of patient interaction with her)

-Founded an active university club (for an organization I have been involved with since the past 4 years) - not medicine related

-Exec/founding member for another university club - not medicine related

-Other university clubs: Active member of student society for Mol Bio - lead some social/academic events (1 year), General member of 1 medicine related club (1 year), part of the organizing team for a charity gala (1 year)

-One entrance scholarship for marks, no other awards

-High school: Major leadership role in 2 clubs (3 years), wrote for school newspaper (2 years), involvement in organization of smaller charity events, relay for life participant (2 years), peer mentor (2 years), several academic awards.

-Work experience: Lots and lots but all retail (clothing) and admin (had to help family)

References: 1 prof who taught me, 1 research lab supervisor, 1 from volunteer contact

I would really appreciate your opinion and advice!

I'm wondering if there is any point in trying to apply to Ontario Med Schools for entry after 3rd year if I have a GPA of:

1st year 3.7

2nd year 3.8

...I would include the other parts of my application, but I just want to know if the GPA ruins my chances (if not, where could I apply?)

Thanks

rmorelan summed it up pretty well! For Ontario, your best shot will probably be McMaster assuming you are able to get a good verbal score. If you wait another year to apply, you'll probably have a better chance at UofT (with their wGPA formula), Queen's (best two years), Western (last two years) and Ottawa (year 1 x 1 + year 2 x 2, etc). Take my opinion with a grain of salt as I am also in the same year as you. Good luck!! :)

I just finished 2nd year in Molecular Bio and I am considering applying to Ottawa, Queen's (dream university since my family is from around there), McMaster and Toronto. With these stats, do I have a reasonable chance if I apply this October or should I just wait another year and apply then? Is there any university out of those 4 that I simply should not bother to apply for? Any part of my application that is particularly weak?

-Lab volunteer in 2 labs (One was for 1 year and another is 4 months and continuing) - no publications

-Shadowing a family physician for around 8-10 hours/week for 3 months and continuing (also working on a clinical research projects with lots of patient interaction with her)

-Founded an active university club (for an organization I have been involved with since the past 4 years) - not medicine related

-Other university clubs: Active member of student society for Mol Bio - lead some social/academic events (1 year), General member of 1 medicine related club (1 year), part of the organizing team for a charity gala (1 year)

-High school: Major leadership role in 2 clubs (3 years), wrote for school newspaper (2 years), involvement in organization of smaller charity events, relay for life participant (2 years), peer mentor (2 years), several academic awards.

-Work experience: Lots and lots but all retail (clothing) and admin (had to help family)

References: 1 prof who taught me, 1 research lab supervisor, 1 from volunteer contact

Ottawa

- doesn't depend on MCAT. Your GPA looks pretty solid. Now, this depends on which area you're living in. If you're in the Ottawa region, I believe the GPA cutoff this year was like a 3.75. If you are in Ontario but Out of Ottawa (ex: Toronto), the gpa cutoff was 3.85. If you are an OOP, the gpa cutoff is higher.

- Ottawa is pretty tight-lipped about what they want to see in the ABS but your extracurriculars look pretty good.

Queen's

- depends on your MCAT (I think a good score to aim is 10/10/10 and Q/R for writing sample)

- can't comment too much since I wasn't successful at Queen's this year

Mac

- aim for a high verbal score (10+) and do well on Casper to get an interview

- your gpa is competitive

Toronto

- Toronto doesn't have hard cutoffs so even if you are one or two scores below their required amount (9/9/9/N) you can still have a shot

- do you qualify for weighting? If so, GPA would be competitive. If not, your gpa is still pretty good (I didn't qualify for weighting and my OMSAS was 3.86 and I still got accepted)

- WRITE A GOOD ESSAY = it's a black box as to how they evaluate this but look at their website to see what U of T wants in their essay and make sure you talk about what they want you to talk about. I heard the essay can either make or break you so get others to proofread for you and offer suggestions.

Good luck!

Ottawa

- doesn't depend on MCAT. Your GPA looks pretty solid. Now, this depends on which area you're living in. If you're in the Ottawa region, I believe the GPA cutoff this year was like a 3.75. If you are in Ontario but Out of Ottawa (ex: Toronto), the gpa cutoff was 3.85. If you are an OOP, the gpa cutoff is higher.

- Ottawa is pretty tight-lipped about what they want to see in the ABS but your extracurriculars look pretty good.

Queen's

- depends on your MCAT (I think a good score to aim is 10/10/10 and Q/R for writing sample)

- can't comment too much since I wasn't successful at Queen's this year

Mac

- aim for a high verbal score (10+) and do well on Casper to get an interview

- your gpa is competitive

Toronto

- Toronto doesn't have hard cutoffs so even if you are one or two scores below their required amount (9/9/9/N) you can still have a shot

- do you qualify for weighting? If so, GPA would be competitive. If not, your gpa is still pretty good (I didn't qualify for weighting and my OMSAS was 3.86 and I still got accepted)

- WRITE A GOOD ESSAY = it's a black box as to how they evaluate this but look at their website to see what U of T wants in their essay and make sure you talk about what they want you to talk about. I heard the essay can either make or break you so get others to proofread for you and offer suggestions.

Good luck!

Thanks a lot for your response! I really appreciate it.

I am OOO but IP for Ottawa. For Toronto, I do not qualify for weighting since I am a 3rd year applicant. However, I will probably qualify for weighting the year after.

Apply.

Really you don't have much to lose and in this game there is an element of luck - the more chances you give yourself to be accepted the better. They may reject your first attempt (the downside if you have to be prepared to deal with that - it is more likely that as an early applicant you will be rejected but all you have to lose is the application fee) - but the experience is valuable. You will have all your ducks in a row and clearly do the initial soul searching that makes you a stronger applicant.

There is nothing glaring wrong with your approach so far (of course more details can let us be absolutely sure you hit all the rules for the various schools), make sure you keep at it :) Your ECs seem developed for a second year applicant (long term it would be awesome, but not required, for you to attach yourself to a paper).

Feel free to ask about any specifics that are concerning you :)

Apply.

Really you don't have much to lose and in this game there is an element of luck - the more chances you give yourself to be accepted the better. They may reject your first attempt (the downside if you have to be prepared to deal with that - it is more likely that as an early applicant you will be rejected but all you have to lose is the application fee) - but the experience is valuable. You will have all your ducks in a row and clearly do the initial soul searching that makes you a stronger applicant.

There is nothing glaring wrong with your approach so far (of course more details can let us be absolutely sure you hit all the rules for the various schools), make sure you keep at it :) Your ECs seem developed for a second year applicant (long term it would be awesome, but not required, for you to attach yourself to a paper).

Feel free to ask about any specifics that are concerning you :)

Thanks a lot for your response!

Hey guys, I have a school-specific "what are my chances"

Manitoba! After reading through the interviews and acceptances, I feel like I have a borderline chance, but I'd appreciate some insight if you think I should go for it or not.

I'm OOP, AGPA 4.26, MCAT 11.6

I have one abstract in a peer reviewed journal (not sure if that will count towards an academic coefficient or not). No rural experience.

Let me know what you think!

Hey guys, I have a school-specific "what are my chances"

Manitoba! After reading through the interviews and acceptances, I feel like I have a borderline chance, but I'd appreciate some insight if you think I should go for it or not.

I'm OOP, AGPA 4.26, MCAT 11.6

I have one abstract in a peer reviewed journal (not sure if that will count towards an academic coefficient or not). No rural experience.

Let me know what you think!

Got a rejection email

OOP, AGPA 4.27/4.50, MCAT 34S (11.7)

OOP Rejected.

34T, 4.4 on UofM scale. 1.5 years of research, 1 pub, rural experience, raised in rural setting...****

Will probably have to write the MCAT again. I was really hoping to get an invite to UofM because my verbal isn't high enough to get invites from Western/Queens.

OOP rejection

4.26 AGPA and 33R MCAT, based on these numbers it looks like I really wasn't even that close :(

From the Manitoba interview thread for this year. I wouldn't try.

From the Manitoba interview thread for this year. I wouldn't try.

That's ridiculous advice.

This past OOP pool was extremely competitive (i.e. people with 39+ MCAT & high GPAs)

Who knows, maybe this upcoming application OOP pool is not super competitive.

It doesn't hurt to apply--in fact I would say go a head and see what happens. The application is like what $90?

That's ridiculous advice.

This past OOP pool was extremely competitive (i.e. people with 39+ MCAT & high GPAs)

Who knows, maybe this upcoming application OOP pool is not super competitive.

It doesn't hurt to apply--in fact I would say go a head and see what happens. The application is like what $90?

The OOP pool (and every other OOP pool) is extremely competitive every year. It might seem different from other years but that's mostly due to the fact that not everyone posts stats in premed101.

The OOP pool is extremely competitive every year.

This past year was extra competitive though. You'll see when the statistics come out :P

But I don't think it would hurt anyways if they applied. What's the worst that can happen?

The minimum stats (OOP) that someone had that was offered admission from the class of 2015 were: an AGPA of 3.9 and 11.5 MCAT. There's always a chance.

Someone just got into Manitoba with a 11.7 and non-rural OOP. Telling someone not to apply with a 11.6 is horrible advice. This year they probably would have been denied but other years they would have had a solid shot. 11.6 is a fringe score. Don't be expecting an invite but absolutely apply.

EDIT: There were 980 applications in 2012 compared to 782 in 2011. They didn't include a distribution of IP/OOP but I would assume most of that increase was from OOP applicants.

Hi everyone, I'm a noob here. I've been dropping by periodically since high school, so I guess for years now, but I only registered today.

I'm a music major at U of T (just finished my 2nd year).

My GPA is:

1st year- 3.70

2nd year- 3.86.

EC

-1st place in a national (Canadian) music competition

-ARCT Performance Diploma, Gold Medal (highest mark in that year)

-Solo performances with 2 professional symphony orchestras

-6 years in youth orchestra (concertmaster for 2)

-6 merit-based scholarships so far

-Awards at local, provincial, and national competitions

-International music festivals and competitions in Spain, New York City, and Edmonton.

(Sorry, I'm being vague with names of competitions and festivals for the fear of my identity being revealed on the same day as my registration date, but I hope you get the point. :P)

-Masterclasses with famous professors/musicians

-Performances in Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, and Calgary

I haven't written MCAT, and I realize the only information I am giving is my GPA and EC, but I just wanted to ask you guys if it's a reasonable goal to be thinking about applying to med school. I'm REALLY hoping to get at least 3.9 in third and fourth years (by sacrificing sleep and social life and replacing them with being best friends with the library and practice rooms).

First year was a learning experience for me. I (naively) thought I was going to be a classical musician, so I devoted all of my time into spending hours and hours locked up in a practice room. I might have also skipped a class or two of my non-music elective to practice instead.... OOPS. Thankfully, a lot of my courses were practical, so my marks were pretty high in those ones, but the few history and academic courses I was forced to take really brought down my GPA down significantly. In 2nd year, I was really inspired to be strong in academically and musically, so I tried my butt off to balance out both studying and practicing. I think I've finally begun to get the hang of it, but I'm hoping very much that I could improve in the two years left of university.

I'll probably take some time off after finishing my music degree to take pre-reqs, volunteer, study for and take MCAT, etc. since I really can't imagine myself trying to do all of these things AND finish my performance-based music program AND try to score a high GPA at the same time.

I'm usually only surrounded by musicians so this forum is pretty much my only source of information about this kind of stuff. :) I would really appreciate any advice you could give. Thank you in advance!

1. Definitely reasonable for you to consider medicine. Just make sure you keep your grades up, and maybe try to get some prereqs + volunteering done during summers (maybe some volunteering during school)? It would be tough to write MCAT + take all prereqs in one year.

2. Why aren't you continuing with music? From your ECs, you sound like quite the hardcore violinist (and highly likely to succeed even further)... Have you really looked into medicine deep enough to consider leaving music? I also used to consider music before university (6 instruments, concertmaster for couple of years, RCM, etc...), but I still have some regrets left....

Hey, my husband has been working on getting into med school and I have been doing the forum patrolling lol..anyway I`d like to know what anyone thinks of his chances.

Heres the info.

university of new brunswick saint john campus.

Heading into fourth year, bio major, honors project upcoming

GPA 3.7 ish or higher on 4.0 scale not weighted or changed.

We have two daughters and he is from a low income background (also a dual citizen in the United States as well as Canada). Didn't go to university directly after high school but took a couple years off working part time jobs.

*Last two years worked as a student researcher during the school year. Doing actual research work.

* Scholarships here and there

* WATER grant scholarship working in the lab over this summer similar to student researcher only more duties and taking courses like electro-fishing , computer modules and a few other fish/water related courses.

*medical first responder course, have started volunteering with st. john ambulance for continuous training and working at events for first aid.

*Tutoring under privileged high school kids through last school year through promise partnership

* Mentored under privileged middle school child through last school year and in the upcoming year/ promise partnership.

*member of Golden Key honor society. no real involvement, should this be mentioned?

MCAT first try was 26M 6PS 11VR 9BS.

Not sure how the PS was bombed as he got 9-12s on practice AAMC tests.

Ran out of time in that section, barely finished all questions, and it was really calculation heavy.

retaking early July hoping for a 29+. seems possible as that is on the low end of his AAMC tests just didnt get a good PS section last time..Also have no idea where the M came from..He writes well and answered all questions with support/examples. hoping to also improve this score but will it make or break him? and is an M doable?

Looking to apply to Dal, Munn, Mcgill, Mac, UofT, Ottawa, Queens, Western, Alberta, Calgary..other suggestions? thinking about Manitoba also...

Has most pre reqs. missing orgo lab took the course just not lab as was taking a more intensive natural products course which was mostly lab but this course was made specially starting with his class. contacted Mcgill and they will accept in its place but Ottawa wont? should contact dean ? as it was a quick answer and not sure they understand it covered orgo lab and more.

Also has great professors who will write great LORs, they are almost friends!

So I think this is it

any help is appreciated.. also starting applications how do you write explanations? like a resume almost bullet style or explaining in first person?

do titles and classifications of your work and experiences matter to much?

Thanks all