Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

McGill accepts no one without a bac (except for cegepians).

Taken from their website

Primary Bachelor's degree

A 120 credit ("four-year") or equivalent Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution in any discipline. Applicants who have successfully obtained a diploma of college studies (Diplôme d'études collégiales; "DEC") in a pre-university program can apply with a 90 credit program from a Quebec university.

The program must have been undertaken on a full-time basis and should be completed in the time prescribed by the program. A full course load (e.g. 15 credits) is expected in regular sessions. Summer or other interim sessions are acceptable, however they should not take away from regular sessions. The Admissions Committee expects a minimum of 60 consecutive graded credits at the time of application; this enables a more complete basis for the assessment of your academic performance.

Doesn't this mean that I can apply during my 3rd year? Since I have already completed the 60-credits requirement. (I am not in CEGP)

Taken from their website

Doesn't this mean that I can apply during my 3rd year? Since I have already completed the 60-credits requirement. (I am not in CEGP)

I don't think so - the relevant line is this:

A 120 credit ("four-year") or equivalent Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution in any discipline.

The 60 consecutive graded credits - to me - just refers to the nature of your studies before you apply. I.E., they don't want to see that you've taking classes on and off in the years leading up to your application..?

Taken from their website

You must still get your degree by July 31 (but I was once told they can wait till August for this, but this could change).

Unless you happen to be a recognized Quebec Aboroginal.

I'm a nontrad (did a Bachelor's and Master's degree, now working in healthcare) with a somewhat strange GPA story. In short:

Undergrad:

Y1: 1.90

Y2: 3.67

Y3: 3.85

Y4: 3.92

Master's:

4.0 for course component, did a thesis out of which I got a few first author publications, 2 second author pubs, and numerous conferences. I also had 2 NSERC grants for my Master's.

MCAT:

BS 10, PS 11, VR 12, WS S (33S)

ECs and the rest of the story:

I have a number of student government and community volunteering ECs from my undergrad. I've been working in hospitals and community settings since my Master's, doing some cool work in a number of different countries. I don't have 'volunteering in a hospital' experience per se, but I basically spend my entire working time in a wide range of hospital-based and community-based care settings.

Chances:

I've never applied to medical school before, though I've thought about it for a long time. Basically, I just want eyes on my application. I think my depth and breadth of healthcare experience can help me out with interviews, but it's getting there that's the battle (because of my poor academics for the first two years).

I think I might meet cutoffs for U of T, Queen's, and UWO. Anyone have any thoughts on my application? Are there other schools I might have a shot at (I was thinking Mac as well, but they have no GPA weightings)? Will my lack of recent traditional volunteer experience work against me, even though I have tons of experience in healthcare?

I'm a nontrad (did a Bachelor's and Master's degree, now working in healthcare) with a somewhat strange GPA story. In short:

Undergrad:

Y1: 1.90

Y2: 3.67

Y3: 3.85

Y4: 3.92

Master's:

4.0 for course component, did a thesis out of which I got a few first author publications, 2 second author pubs, and numerous conferences. I also had 2 NSERC grants for my Master's.

MCAT:

BS 10, PS 11, VR 12, WS S (33S)

ECs and the rest of the story:

I have a number of student government and community volunteering ECs from my undergrad. I've been working in hospitals and community settings since my Master's, doing some cool work in a number of different countries. I don't have 'volunteering in a hospital' experience per se, but I basically spend my entire working time in a wide range of hospital-based and community-based care settings.

Chances:

I've never applied to medical school before, though I've thought about it for a long time. Basically, I just want eyes on my application. I think my depth and breadth of healthcare experience can help me out with interviews, but it's getting there that's the battle (because of my poor academics for the first two years).

I think I might meet cutoffs for U of T, Queen's, and UWO. Anyone have any thoughts on my application? Are there other schools I might have a shot at (I was thinking Mac as well, but they have no GPA weightings)? Will my lack of recent traditional volunteer experience work against me, even though I have tons of experience in healthcare?

How the hell did you manage going from a yearly GPA of 1.95 to a 3.67 in only one year?

How the hell did you manage going from a yearly GPA of 1.95 to a 3.67 in only one year?

Could be a variety of reasons. First year could have been a hard transition from high school. They could have just found a new study method that worked. Maybe life outside of school was just really hard for that first year. In any case, awesome job!

Extenuating circumstances, as others have suggested. I had a few cumulative tragedies in my personal life. Sometimes life throws you crap curveballs...thankfully, I bounced back.

Thanks for the encouragement, PhoenixFlare500 and futuredoc!

Year 1: 3.3

Year 2: 3.84

Year 3: 3.86

I wrote the MCAT last summer and scored BS 12, V 11, PS 8, W R (31R)

I'm writing again in August.

ECs: Hospital guide since September 2011, volunteer research assistant since August 2010, English tutor for one semester in second year, ESL workshop once a week for a couple hours since September 2010, events coordinator for spouses of students at Western since January 2012, Summer research (summers of 2011 and 2012), waitress during the school years a couple shifts a week (since 2009)

My wGPA for Toronto would be 3.82 if I applied this year.

Any thoughts on where I should apply/should not apply to would be fantastic!

U/T, Mac...

With the rewrite you have clear target to focus on there and it is very likely you can improve that. With effort you can add western and queens to that list.

Work hard next year as well and get over 3.85 and if you have to apply again then Ottawa is also on that list.

With the rewrite you have clear target to focus on there and it is very likely you can improve that. With effort you can add western and queens to that list.

Work hard next year as well and get over 3.85 and if you have to apply again then Ottawa is also on that list.

Thanks to you both!

Where am I lacking in for Queens and Western to not yet be on the list? MCAT?

I'm SWOMEN so I feel like I have a shot at Western?

Thanks to you both!

ahhh the missing detail :)

MCAT was the concern but you already have a shot at Western then under SWOMEN rules. Confirm you have the 3/5 course rules met, the min of 5.0 credits per year for the two years you are using for your GPA, and you will graduate by the end of next year.

Thanks to you both!

SWOMEN status really improves your chances at Western since this would reduce the requirements for GPA and MCAT. I think Western will also take your best 2 years, which further increases your chances.

For Queen's, they typically want ~9/9/9/Q, but that's unofficial. Queen's doesn't release details, but I believe it was this forum or SDN that proposed those stats. Of course, aim as high as you can as you never know what the cutoffs might be in future cycles.

Any concerns or questions you have should be directed to the admissions office, since they're the ones that will be deciding on your admission. The rules are subject to change at their discretion as well.

Since all this information is technically unofficial, there are no guarantees. But, good luck!

Cdawso23: I would be worried about that too since your score is awesome in every other section, I think western as with most places looks at most recent score so it could be an issue but double check on that to be sure. I think probably of I were you as long as you have the 3/5 rule for the years you have above 3.7 I would apply with your current score since you're swomen- seems like you'd have a good shot!

Shady: your ECs look good to me! Only thing is I would suggest taking a look at playing a sport you're interested in this summer or doing something creative to balance out your ec's which right now are largely academic. It's good to have a nice blend of academic work and creative/athletic endeavors under your belt to be more balanced. I also thin they likd to see continued involvement - ie keep volunteering at the places you've been working with for a long time already! As it is right now you're in good shape!

Hi Premed101.

I was wondering if I could get your opinion on my ECs. I will be applying in the coming cycle.

- Work study Sept->March in faculty of information (7 months)

- Work study May->March in IT at CAMH (10 months)

- 10 months of hospital volunteering so far (ongoing.. will have 14 months by Oct)

- 2 merit based scholarships

- Deans list (who doesn't have this)

- Currently doing paid summer of research at IMS SURP: My own smallish project. Fingers crossed for a publication. Will be first author if published.

- Small things here and there (Tutoring middle school kids on weekends last semester, a couple of silly one weekend volunteer events, did residence tours a couple of times in my first year)

- Planning to do a thesis course next year

- My only club involvement is going to a ski trip with the ski and snowboarding club. Feb 2012

- No sports/music

Much appreciated

I think you still need to add a few more ECs and increase the quality of the ones you already have. Example, club participation is great, but to increase quality apply for an executive position and maintaining that for at least a year. Avoid too many short-term activities.

I'm not on the adcom by any means, hopefully someone with more experience in selecting applicants for interviews can give more insight.