Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

Hi there, I was wondering what my chances are on getting in to any professional school. my GPAs are

1st year: 3.90

2nd year: 3.61

3rd year: 3.80

4th year: 3.73

cGPA: 3.76

I'm writing the MCAT, PCAT and DAT this year and was wondering what my chances are on getting into to any with these marks and what I will need to get on these exams to have a fighting chance

I think you'll get into pharmacy without issues.

GPA seems to be a little weak for Dentistry.

GPA seems decent for Medical school, but will have to look at other ECs and achievements.

perfectly understandable, bio is a lot of material esp if u had no previous exposure.

3.225 + 4.0 + 4.0 + 4.0 / 4 ~= 3.8?

uOttawa - it will be very hard as they're the most GPA oriented.

Actually, if he/she finishes his/her degree before applying to Ottawa he/she stands a good shot (granted his/her marks are 3.86+). Ottawa looks at last three years (last year weighted x3, second last year x2, third last year x1).

Actually, if he/she finishes his/her degree before applying to Ottawa he/she stands a good shot (granted his/her marks are 3.86+). Ottawa looks at last three years (last year weighted x3, second last year x2, third last year x1).

Kind of a bizarre supposition though; going from a 3.2 to a 4.0 for three straight years.

Hi there, I was wondering what my chances are on getting in to any professional school. my GPAs are

1st year: 3.90

2nd year: 3.61

3rd year: 3.80

4th year: 3.73

cGPA: 3.76

I'm writing the MCAT, PCAT and DAT this year and was wondering what my chances are on getting into to any with these marks and what I will need to get on these exams to have a fighting chance

Wtf. Make up your mind on what you want to do.

Wtf. Make up your mind on what you want to do.

There is no harm for him to make up his mind after he gets offers from all these schools. I have many friends who took MCAT, LSAT, DAT, PCAT and they ended up deciding which profession they want after they have receive offers.

There is no harm for him to make up his mind after he gets offers from all these schools. I have many friends who took MCAT, LSAT, DAT, PCAT and they ended up deciding which profession they want after they have receive offers.

What is your n for many?

Why didnt your friends take the GMAT and every GRE subject test too just so they have a broader range of career choices?

perfectly understandable, bio is a lot of material esp if u had no previous exposure.

3.225 + 4.0 + 4.0 + 4.0 / 4 ~= 3.8?

You might be able to work it out if your MCAT is good. Are you from the GTA? ottawa region? southwestern ontario? rural ontario? If you're from the GTA, it may be difficult as you have no real regional advantage.

You could aim for McMaster (and you would need a great VR, great communication skills + people skills). With a 3.8 gpa it's totally possible at McMaster.

Same with UWO, if you have a great MCAT grade, with 3.8gpa it's possible.

UofT - not likely as they require a pretty high GPA. But if you qualify for their weighted GPA and apply at the end of 4th year you may make it depending on your reference letters + research experience + personal statement.

Queen's - if you do well on the next 3 years they might not look at your 1st year but the last 2 years.

uOttawa - it will be very hard as they're the most GPA oriented.

Thanks! While I agree with some of the other posters than pulling off three years of 4.0 gpa is a stretch, we will see in the end. No point bashing each other on forums :)

Back to preppy, I do sadly live in the gta. My plan is to apply for those schools you suggested, look into some other provinces and US as well. 3.7-3.8 would give a pretty good shot at the states and possibly DO schools too from what I have researched.

Hello everyone,

It looks like this is the place for asking WAMC questions so I would be grateful if you could please give me your opinions. I am an East Asian undergrad resident of Ontario, and I will be entering my last (4th) year this September. I intend on applying to all medical schools in Ontario.

----------

1st year GPA: 3.83

2nd year GPA: 3.60

3rd year GPA: 3.95

cGPA: 3.81

wGPA, Toronto (3 lowest FCE deducted): 3.92

wGPA, best two years: 3.89

wGPA, last two years: 3.79

MCAT: 13 PS, 13 BS, 12 VS, R WS (37R)

You missed the UOttawa English Stream cutoff of 3.85 (you have a 3.81) and since it's a hard cutoff, so you can save your application fees there.

Unless you're Northern Ontario resident, your chances there would be slim too.

Everywhere else, you look really good to go!

Hello everyone,

It looks like this is the place for asking WAMC questions so I would be grateful if you could please give me your opinions. I am an East Asian undergrad resident of Ontario, and I will be entering my last (4th) year this September. I intend on applying to all medical schools in Ontario.

----------

1st year GPA: 3.83

2nd year GPA: 3.60

3rd year GPA: 3.95

cGPA: 3.81

wGPA, Toronto (3 lowest FCE deducted): 3.92

wGPA, best two years: 3.89

wGPA, last two years: 3.79

MCAT: 13 PS, 13 BS, 12 VS, R WS (37R)

ECs:

- Research assistant at a full professor's lab, currently working on an independent project (1.5 years)

- Vice-president of departmental student council (for 3 years)

- Vice-president of hospital-affiliated student club (for 2 years)

- Member of several faculty-and-student committees in charge of reviewing changes to curriculum (1 year)

- Volunteered as a translator and guide for international patients at a major general hospital in my home country (1 summer)

- Volunteered in South America as part of a grassroots student organization promoting accessible clean water supply; head of operations at my university (organization was started by an acquaintance in another university)

- Shadowing experience

- Special mention on transcript expected upon graduation for completing multiple research projects in multidisciplinary fields

----------

My references will most likely be from the full professor of the lab who has taught me in courses apart from the lab work, the postdoc who supervised me directly in my research projects, and a former employer from outside of school who has known me for 9 years, as both an employee and a student.

I am confident in my writing skills and believe I will be able to write a good personal statement. I will most likely have it reviewed by several medical school students, and an English teacher who works privately as an essay-writing tutor.

If I might take a guess as to my largest weaknesses, I would pick a) not-so-high GPA (esp. 2nd year), B) lack of extensive hospital volunteering experience, and c) lack of awards/honours.

If you could give me your opinion on my chances at the Ontario medical schools, and how to improve on what You see as my weaknesses, I would greatly appreciate it. Please be honest - I can take criticism. Thank you very much!

Aside from Ontario schools, I would highly encourage you to apply to UofManitoba Medical School as an OOP. Although the standards are high for OOP applicants, with your MCAT score & GPA you definitely have a chance. Plus they drop a certain number of courses to calculate your GPA, so your AGPA will obviously be higher! Also they don't really care about EC's (but it's good to have them for the MMI of course) and they need 3 LORs. But GPA, MCAT & MMI is all you're ranked on for the most part.

You missed the UOttawa English Stream cutoff of 3.85 (you have a 3.81) and since it's a hard cutoff, so you can save your application fees there.

Unless you're Northern Ontario resident, your chances there would be slim too.

Everywhere else, you look really good to go!

Do you know what is the cut-off for the French stream OOP (or a place where I can find about it)?

I've posted here before but never revealed specifics about my grade. Please let me know which schools I have a shot at.

F=Fall, W=Winter, S=Summer

Y1: F5, W5, OMSAS cGPA = 3.66

Y2: F5, W5, OMSAS cGPA = 3.79

Y3: F5, W5, OMSAS cGPA = 3.74

Y4: F5, W4, S1, OMSAS cGPA = 3.8

Cumulative OMSAS GPA = 3.75

Y4, I wanted to take F5 W5, but uni made a new rule that year where if you have deferred an exam in F, you can only take 5-#of exams deferred in Fall. I realized this after deferring. Should I even bother explaining this to UofT so I can use their weighted scale? If I use their scale, I'll have 3.88

ECs: NSERCx2, Bio Prize UofT, TAed for 4 courses x 3 years, Founded an incorporated business, UofT soccer x 4 years, shadowing/interning a neurologist 7 months today, worked in physics, neuro, bio, psych labs (total of 3 years). Crap loads of others.

LORs: neurologist and physics proff.

MCAT: Will write in august.

I've posted here before but never revealed specifics about my grade. Please let me know which schools I have a shot at.

F=Fall, W=Winter, S=Summer

Y1: F5, W5, OMSAS cGPA = 3.66

Y2: F5, W5, OMSAS cGPA = 3.79

Y3: F5, W5, OMSAS cGPA = 3.74

Y4: F5, W4, S1, OMSAS cGPA = 3.8

Cumulative OMSAS GPA = 3.75

Y4, I wanted to take F5 W5, but uni made a new rule that year where if you have deferred an exam in F, you can only take 5-#of exams deferred in Fall. I realized this after deferring. Should I even bother explaining this to UofT so I can use their weighted scale? If I use their scale, I'll have 3.88

ECs: NSERCx2, Bio Prize UofT, TAed for 4 courses x 3 years, Founded an incorporated business, UofT soccer x 4 years, shadowing/interning a neurologist 7 months today, worked in physics, neuro, bio, psych labs (total of 3 years). Crap loads of others.

LORs: neurologist and physics proff.

MCAT: Will write in august.

Ok. Western requires best 2 full credit courses. Each year must be above 3.7. So in your case, It's going to be your 2nd and 3rd year. You do a have a shot there.

Mcmaster looks at cumulative GPA. Keep in mind someone with a 3.3 cGPA may get accepted over you. This is because GPA only counts as 25% of pre-interview formula. A lot of weight is put towards CASPER (I believe about 46%)which is a computer test (sort of like an interview on a computer, I have never done this before so I can't give you any specifics). MCAT is also 25%. The other 4% is given to you as bonus if you have completed a masters or PhD.

Edit. I just checked their website and they have changed the formula for the upcoming year.

Formula 1 - 32% Undergraduate Grade Point Average, 32% MCAT Verbal Reasoning Score, 32% CASPer Score, up to 4% Graduate degree (1% Master's degree/4% PhD).

Formula 2 - 70% Multiple Mini Interview Score, 15% Undergraduate Grade Point Average, 15% MCAT Verbal Reasoning Score.

So it seems they have divided everything equally now (32% each).

U of T also looks at cGPA. There is no formula that I know of. You should apply though because your cGPA is above 3.7.

Edit. U of T has the weighting formula but it won't apply to you because you must have 5 full credits each year.

Ottawa, You probably won't have a shot because the GPA cut off for in-province out of ottawa applicants has been set at 3.85 for the past few years (unless you live in Ottawa which would give you an advantage)

Queens looks at your last 2 years. You should definitely apply there.

NOSM don't even bother applying unless you are live in northern ontario.

MCAT: Try to score above 10 on all three parts (specially VR). The writing sample should be at least a Q. But they are dropping the writing sample from MCAT starting 2013 so med schools will only look at it for the upcoming admission year. I suggest you focus on VR a great deal.

I'm not familiar with out of ontario med schools so hopefully someone else could advice on that. But I could imagine it would be tougher for you to get in out of province because the GPA cut of for OOP applicants is usually pretty high.

Thanks Legion. Any comments on Western?

ha people are going to start thinking I can only reply about western :)

you need the mcat really - that is your main barrier there as it really is for most people (western is GPA low, MCAT high kind of cut off system). You have 3 years about the traditional cut off. Doesn't sound like you are SWOMEN but if you are then you would have an advantage there as well. Also you would need to comment on whether you have 5.0 credits per year and 3/5 credits at your year level (or in year 4 3/5 either at the 4th or 3rd year)

ha people are going to start thinking I can only reply about western :)

you need the mcat really - that is your main barrier there as it really is for most people (western is GPA low, MCAT high kind of cut off system). You have 3 years about the traditional cut off. Doesn't sound like you are SWOMEN but if you are then you would have an advantage there as well. Also you would need to comment on whether you have 5.0 credits per year and 3/5 credits at your year level (or in year 4 3/5 either at the 4th or 3rd year)

Sorry, I didn't understand what you said lol :(

I'm an IP resident

Sorry, I didn't understand what you said lol :(

I'm an IP resident

SWOMEN = Southwestern Ontario Medical Education Network

Western gives advantage to SWOMEN applicants

Have at least 3 full course equivalents whose published academic level is at or above the year of study in each of the 2 years used for the GPA requirement.

This means:

In your first year of study 3 of 5 full course equivalents must be at the 1st year or above

In your 2nd year of study 3 of 5 full course equivalents must be at the 2nd year or above

In your 3rd year of study 3 of 5 full course equivalents must be at the 3rd year or above

In your 4th year of study 3 of 5 full course equivalents must be at the 3rd year or above. Note: A mix of 3rd and 4th year courses to make up the 3 full course equivalents is acceptable in the fourth year

Your third year is only 2.5/5 FCEs at the 3rd year level or higher, so that year won't be counted. It looks like you only have one year (that meets the 3/5 rule) above a GPA of 3.7. You should look into delaying graduation so you can take a fifth year.

Take another year of undergrad? Am i suppose to take 3rd and 4th year courses? This is wack lol

Take another year of undergrad? Am i suppose to take 3rd and 4th year courses? This is wack lol

3 full credits must be 3rd year and above. So you still have room for 1st and 2nd year course.

Why aren't you waiting for the new 2013 MCAT without the WS? I'm debating this as I'm feeling very lazy these days to study :D plus, no WS is a plus :P

3 full credits must be 3rd year and above. So you still have room for 1st and 2nd year course.

Why aren't you waiting for the new 2013 MCAT without the WS? I'm debating this as I'm feeling very lazy these days to study :D plus, no WS is a plus :P

I've graduated in Nov 2011. I've already been out of school for good 8 months. I've been shadowing/interning a neurologist all this time and felt stronger towards pursuing this career goal. I want to write an MCAT at least once this year, otherwise I'll feel as if I've wasted another f***ing year. I gave up a soccer scholarship, sold my shares of the business, and all I have is this to see to completion. I REALLY do not want to go across the border. I do not have any debts from undergrad, but I really want to practice medicine in Canada and not in the states or anywhere else on that matter.