Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

Hello all,

I've been peeking around this forum for a few weeks, and I've finally drummed up the courage to post. After taking a hard look at where my life is currently headed, I've been considering applying to medical school, but I was wondering how realistic this would be. U of O would be my first choice (English stream), and I basically want opinions on whether I should apply this year, or strengthen my application first and apply later.

A bit of background...I graduated from U of O in 2009 with a BSc in Biomedical Sciences.

First year: 3.85

Second year: 3.99

Third year: 3.97

wGPA: 3.95

Where I really fall short are my ECs during undergrad...from high school throughout university, I helped out with my family's business, which only left time for personal activities such as piano lessons and painting + drawing. So no research, and no 4th year project.

I have resided in Ottawa my whole life, and I am perfectly fluent in English and French (I believe U of O gives the option to self-declare as bilingual, but I'm not sure if this counts for much). Since graduating, I've been employed by a Crown Corporation, and my job has involved extensive contact with the general public (that's right...I work for the government :rolleyes:).

I am currently volunteering at a hospital to get a feel for the environment, and will be joining a couple of committees for some community organizations I feel passionately about.

I'd be happy to provide more info if requested. Any constructive comments/advice would be most welcome. :)

So your ECs are:

piano lessons and painting + drawing

employed by a Crown Corporation

hospital volunteering (not long term?)

community organizations (but not long term)

If you look at this year's stats for Ottawa interview invites/rejections: http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59205

...you will see that a lot of people with excellent ECs were rejected. Realistically, I would say you have a very slim chance for Ottawa. Your marks are great... have you written the MCAT yet? With a decent score, you would have a decent shot at other schools.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello all,

I've been peeking around this forum for a few weeks, and I've finally drummed up the courage to post. After taking a hard look at where my life is currently headed, I've been considering applying to medical school, but I was wondering how realistic this would be. U of O would be my first choice (English stream), and I basically want opinions on whether I should apply this year, or strengthen my application first and apply later.

A bit of background...I graduated from U of O in 2009 with a BSc in Biomedical Sciences.

Where I really fall short are my ECs during undergrad...from high school throughout university, I helped out with my family's business, which only left time for personal activities such as piano lessons and painting + drawing. So no research, and no 4th year project.

I have resided in Ottawa my whole life, and I am perfectly fluent in English and French (I believe U of O gives the option to self-declare as bilingual, but I'm not sure if this counts for much). Since graduating, I've been employed by a Crown Corporation, and my job has involved extensive contact with the general public (that's right...I work for the government :rolleyes:).

I am currently volunteering at a hospital to get a feel for the environment, and will be joining a couple of committees for some community organizations I feel passionately about.

I'd be happy to provide more info if requested. Any constructive comments/advice would be most welcome. :)

Hi virtuevictorious,

I am going to disagree with m1428, and say that I think you have a good shot of getting into medical school. Your grades are top notch, and despite what everyone in this forum thinks, you don't need research or a thesis project to get into medical school.

Work experience is a valuable thing to have on your application. Family business + working in a government job is a unique experience. Same with music / art. Being bilingual is a plus!

The only advice I would give you is to write the MCAT and do well on it. This will open up many more opportunities for you. Although you have your goals set on Ottawa, with admissions so hard these days, you should give as many schools a shot.

Best of luck, let me know if you need any further input.

Hello all,

I have literally the same stats as you in that I worked for the government (but in a lab doing research), am bilingual, enjoy painting and drawing and have pretty much the same GPA. I however did a 4th years honors project, had lots of volunteering and extracurriculars (I filled all 48 slots for activities on the application). I got rejected from U of O and in my rejection they listed that my autobiographical sketch (i.e. my extracurriculars) did not meet the cut-offs. So while I think you should still apply and you may have a small chance, be prepared to get a rejection since U of O can be unpredictable in what they want and often times candidates with sub-par EC's have issues. Write the MCAT and add to your EC's and with your GPA I see no problem in the long run with you getting in somewhere! Good luck!

Thanks medaholic and lovestruck, I appreciate your feedback.

medaholic - I really did feel that my lack of research/thesis would be quite detrimental to my application, but thanks for reassuring me that my work experience isn't completely worthless.

lovestruck - If you don't mind my asking, what were your ECs? Are you from outside Ottawa? (they state on their site that they favour people who are from the Ottawa region, but I don't know how much weight is really given to this)

I'm going to be working on adding to my ECs, and though it's pretty much a guarantee I won't be accepted the first time around, I don't think there's much to lose by going through the process and seeing what it's like. I really am set on U of O as I think the way they've set up their curriculum is fantastic, and I also have some personal reasons for wanting to stay in Ottawa.

Another member told me that Ottawa does not look at ECs done after undergrad. Check out whether this is credible or not.

I've e-mailed Admissions to clarify this...hopefully I'll hear back early next week.

EDIT: Just heard back. The admin assistant confirmed that Ottawa does not look at ECs after undergrad.

This is incredibly discouraging...

That pretty much puts UOttawa very difficult to get into.

Not only do they value high GPA's (Check the invite thread, everyone had a 3.90+ who got invited)

But extracurricular activities are a major factor of the admissions process. I think it puts everyone on equal grounds as, lets face it, someone who got a 4.0 GPA throughout undergrad but did very little EC's is not as fantastic as someone who got a 3.9 GPA and had a lot of ECs with variety.

EC's done during undergrad reflect an applicant's ability to handle both academics and other areas of their life far better than EC's done after undergrad.

This really makes UOttawa probably the hardest school to get into in Canada. Not only do they value academics and have lots of prerequisite requirements but e.c's are only taken into account for your undergrad years and nothing else. So you can't go and start volunteering after undergrad, it has to be concurrently with your schooling. In a way this is good for seeing who is capable of balancing their academics with other activites, but all I know is that for me it is really stressing me out, I don't think normal people balance school with 5-10 activities throughout the year, but hey you do what you have to do.;)

Cheers,

ABS

This really makes UOttawa probably the hardest school to get into in Canada. Not only do they value academics and have lots of prerequisite requirements but e.c's are only taken into account for your undergrad years and nothing else. So you can't go and start volunteering after undergrad' date=' it has to be concurrently with your schooling. In a way this is good for seeing who is capable of balancing their academics with other activites, but all I know is that for me it is really stressing me out,[b'] I don't think normal people balance school with 5-10 activities throughout the year[/b], but hey you do what you have to do.;)

Cheers,

ABS

Hahah that's what I thought till I read some of the threads on here :P oh well, I guess in a way it pushes you to work harder

Thanks medaholic and lovestruck, I appreciate your feedback.

medaholic - I really did feel that my lack of research/thesis would be quite detrimental to my application, but thanks for reassuring me that my work experience isn't completely worthless.

lovestruck - If you don't mind my asking, what were your ECs? Are you from outside Ottawa? (they state on their site that they favour people who are from the Ottawa region, but I don't know how much weight is really given to this)

I'm going to be working on adding to my ECs, and though it's pretty much a guarantee I won't be accepted the first time around, I don't think there's much to lose by going through the process and seeing what it's like. I really am set on U of O as I think the way they've set up their curriculum is fantastic, and I also have some personal reasons for wanting to stay in Ottawa.

I'm going to send you a PM.

EDIT: OOOORRR I won't since the PM system is down. But I will do it when it gets back up! I think I could provide you with a bit of insight and I'm happy to help anyone I can out :)

Re: Ottawa U ECs; if I am about to undertake a second undergrad degree, are my ECs considered from my current masters degree or past few years, or would it start over once I begin the 2nd undegrad degree?

I would appreciate this clarification !

Better to email them directly. But from what I've read above, I would say they only look at ECs done during the 2nd undergrad.

Hey everyone.. I’ve been following the premed forum for a while now, but I would like to get some advice for my chances in particular. Any input would be much appreciated.

I am currently a Master’s student (still in first year) at uOttawa.

Academics:

Did undergrad at uOttawa, OMSAS GPA is:

1st year: 3.3

2nd year: 3.69

3rd year: 3.86

4th year: 3.98

Overall cGPA: 3.72

Best two years: 3.92

uOttawa weighted: 3.89 (I am from Ottawa as well)

U of T weighting: Do not apply, 9 courses only in 2nd year

UBC best 3 years (%): 88% OOP

MCAT: Have not written yet (I know this is a large predictor, but any advice with the current info would be great)

Extracurriculars:

-Canadian Red Cross (10months) – Health equipment loan program – interacted with patients directly

-Let’s talk science volunteer (~8month) – Science outreach program

-Student council (~8 months) – Exec position

-Faculty of medicine summer student program (FMSSP) (2 summers, 8 months) – research discussion group

-Honour’s project

Hobbies:

-Art (portrait sketches) - 12 years

-Hockey - Played for 8 years

Awards:

-CIHR musculoskeletal heath and arthritis awards – 2 summers

-FMSSP 2nd best presentation award

-Ontario graduate scholarship (OGS)

-Dean’s Honour’s list

Publications:

-Manuscript in prep for submission (undergrad work)

Any insight into my chances would be appreciated thanks!

To me, your ECs are on the weak side and subject to maintaining GPA, I would do more if possible. My ECs were well over 20 hours/week during the academic year, I had a strong work ethic to be a straight A student and, yes I was always exhausted at break time. It took discipline, self-sacrifice, motivation always, time and stress management but got me to my goal.