Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

Do you mean American schools? You can look on the American forum section for a list that accepts Canadians. Most of the Ivey leagues do, but you would need a high MCAT to stand a chance from what I've read (like 32-33+). I think Boston U takes Canadians, as does Michigan State (not 100% sure on that one). Also, quite a number of Doctor of Osteopathy schools take Canadians (DO is equivalent to MD in U.S. and some provinces of Canada).

Thanks again for taking the time to reply bro. I think I'm going to simply study my ass off practicing for verbal until I feel confident enough to get 10+. Can't thank you enough for your time.

Hey guys,

I just finished second year. My first year GPA was a measly 2.97 but I've managed to pull my socks up this year. I'm expecting an overall OMSAS GPA of ~3.67 for my second year courses, which of course, is still hardly competitive. I'm hoping to pull off stellar grades in 3rd and 4th years. It would be great if you could answer a couple of my questions:

(1) This might be silly but seeing that my overall cGPA is still going to be below the 3.7 mark, will I even be eligible to apply to Western (or Uoft/Queen's/UofO) after third year? I know McMaster only needs a 3.0 cGPA but I'm not too sure about the others. UofT for instance, asks you to have a minimum 3.6. Is that the cGPA or the wGPA?

(2) I'm involved with two main extracurricular activities (one is research), both of which I thoroughly enjoy and have done for over a year now. But, that's about it. I found that a lot of people on here are doing tonnes of stuff. Am I on the right track? Both these activities are going to be long-term in that I'll continue them into my third year as well. Am I being too restrictive? Should I be doing a lot more stuff to showcase a variety of talents/interests?

(3) LORs: Can an upper year/graduate student who's supervised you in some activity be your referee or is it much better (credible) to have professors? Second, I'm a little introverted and a bit awkward around professors in that I'm unable to build rapports. I mean I'm polite, they probably remember me but certainly not at the level where they'll write me a decent LOR. Any tips on how to approach/make friends of your profs? In office hours, I struggle to come up with questions to discuss and I'm afraid my questions/difficulties might come across as superficial.

Sorry for the long rant! I'll be forever grateful if you guys could help clear up some of my concerns and share you own experiences. :)

I just finished second year. My first year GPA was a measly 2.97 but I've managed to pull my socks up this year. I'm expecting an overall OMSAS GPA of ~3.67 for my second year courses, which of course, is still hardly competitive. I'm hoping to pull off stellar grades in 3rd and 4th years. It would be great if you could answer a couple of my questions:

(1) seeing that my overall cGPA is still going to be below the 3.7 mark, will I even be eligible to apply to Western (or Uoft/Queen's/UofO) after third year? I know McMaster only needs a 3.0 cGPA but I'm not too sure about the others. UofT for instance, asks you to have a minimum 3.6. Is that the cGPA or the wGPA?

I believe U/W makes conditional acceptances, I'm not sure about Queen's. I think you will have to wait for the others.

(2) I'm involved with two main extracurricular activities (one is research), both of which I thoroughly enjoy and have done for over a year now. But, that's about it. I found that a lot of people on here are doing tonnes of stuff. Am I on the right track? Both these activities are going to be long-term in that I'll continue them into my third year as well. Am I being too restrictive? Should I be doing a lot more stuff to showcase a variety of talents/interests?

I have no idea what your other activity is but med schools look for active citizenship while being able to maintain academic excellence. I don't know that your ECs are competitive and U/O may not be worthwhile to apply. GPA is of far greater concern and you do not want to dilute efforts in this regard. Your ECs can be ramped up but not at the expense of GPA.

(3) LORs: Can an upper year/graduate student who's supervised you in some activity be your referee or is it much better (credible) to have professors? Second, I'm a little introverted and a bit awkward around professors in that I'm unable to build rapports. I mean I'm polite, they probably remember me but certainly not at the level where they'll write me a decent LOR. Any tips on how to approach/make friends of your profs? In office hours, I struggle to come up with questions to discuss and I'm afraid my questions/difficulties might come across as superficial.

A credible graduate student can make the grade. You don't want a decent LOR, rather a strong LOR advocating your acceptance that is credible from personal knowledge of the referee. I got an excellent LOR from one prof who knew me for only one semester, however, I participated actively in class, did great in the course and I gave him my transcript, updated CV and a motivational letter addressed to him.

You need to work on your being introverted or shy as at interview time, you need to be personable and a good communicator. I used to be extremely shy and got out of it by going beyond my comfort zone and was forced to me communicate well, for example, with the elderly, whom I was leading in activities.

From what you say, you do have an uphill battle in an era when the competition is going to be even more fierce, but persistence and working smart for you definitely can accomplish a lot. For Mac, you need to do well in Casper and V @ MCAT to have a shot.

Thank you future_doc! That was a very encouraging and insightful reply.

My other activity is a writing/editing position at a campus newspaper.

Actually, now that I think about it, I was involved with a couple of other things these past two years. A full-year group research project for a social science course for which we got a 4.0 and the FLC program at uoft. Also, worked part-time as a cashier at a fast food chain for ~6 months during this school year but I don't think that'll look impressive on a med school application.

Anyway, you're right about the gpa, the ECs won't mean anything without the grades. My focus is going to be on getting good grades. I've already suffered immensely due to my procrastination habits.

You're right on spot about being personable. I've been told I'm a good listener, but I find it hard to break the ice sometimes. Also, most of my classes have been quite huge so far, but hopefully that'll change in upper years so I'm able to participate in class more.

I believe U/W makes conditional acceptances, I'm not sure about Queen's. I think you will have to wait for the others.

I have no idea what your other activity is but med schools look for active citizenship while being able to maintain academic excellence. I don't know that your ECs are competitive and U/O may not be worthwhile to apply. GPA is of far greater concern and you do not want to dilute efforts in this regard. Your ECs can be ramped up but not at the expense of GPA.

A credible graduate student can make the grade. You don't want a decent LOR, rather a strong LOR advocating your acceptance that is credible from personal knowledge of the referee. I got an excellent LOR from one prof who knew me for only one semester, however, I participated actively in class, did great in the course and I gave him my transcript, updated CV and a motivational letter addressed to him.

You need to work on your being introverted or shy as at interview time, you need to be personable and a good communicator. I used to be extremely shy and got out of it by going beyond my comfort zone and was forced to me communicate well, for example, with the elderly, whom I was leading in activities.

From what you say, you do have an uphill battle in an era when the competition is going to be even more fierce, but persistence and working smart for you definitely can accomplish a lot. For Mac, you need to do well in Casper and V @ MCAT to have a shot.

So... I just saw my marks from my most recent semester, and I have to say that I've gotten pretty depressed because of it... *Sigh* Do I even have a chance after completing just an undergrad? I even see people with 3.9 (and over) get rejected... :(

1st year GPA: 3.88

2nd year GPA: 3.58

cGPA: 3.73

*w(?)GPA if I drop my 3 lowest marks: 3.876... (would that round to 3.88?)

ECs: Honestly, nothing special at all... Just some experience working at a flower shop, high school tutoring, VP of a club, hospital volunteering... Planning to do lab work next year during the semester.

MCAT: Signed up for it this summer.

*Note: I do know that this is not the proper wGPA of any university. I'm just assuming that I won't mess up this badly again and that I will get to drop at least those 3 low marks by the time I finish my UG.

So... I just saw my marks from my most recent semester, and I have to say that I've gotten pretty depressed because of it... *Sigh* Do I even have a chance after completing just an undergrad? I even see people with 3.9 (and over) get rejected... :(

1st year GPA: 3.88

2nd year GPA: 3.58

cGPA: 3.73

*w(?)GPA if I drop my 3 lowest marks: 3.876... (would that round to 3.88?)

ECs: Honestly, nothing special at all... Just some experience working at a flower shop, high school tutoring, VP of a club, hospital volunteering... Planning to do lab work next year during the semester.

MCAT: Signed up for it this summer.

*Note: I do know that this is not the proper wGPA of any university. I'm just assuming that I won't mess up this badly again and that I will get to drop at least those 3 low marks by the time I finish my UG.

You CAN fix this. My first year GPA was 3.56. My GPA after 4 years of undergrad was 3.88 (no weightings), which is competitive! You have to work you butt off but don't get discouraged since it IS possible! If your next two years are 3.88's again, you get an overall 3.80 which is good for quite a few schools in Ontario (Queens, Mac, UofT, UO depending on where you live, UWO). Obviously, if there higher then 3.88 then that's even better! You're still in good shape because it's still early in your undergrad and you time to fix this.

With only two years of grades and no MCAT it's hard to tell you what your chances are right now okay but get some medically related experiences if you can and pick unique things you enjoy that stand out! Good luck!

You CAN fix this. My first year GPA was 3.56. My GPA after 4 years of undergrad was 3.88 (no weightings), which is competitive! You have to work you butt off but don't get discouraged since it IS possible! If your next two years are 3.88's again, you get an overall 3.80 which is good for quite a few schools in Ontario (Queens, Mac, UofT, UO depending on where you live, UWO). Obviously, if there higher then 3.88 then that's even better! You're still in good shape because it's still early in your undergrad and you time to fix this.

With only two years of grades and no MCAT it's hard to tell you what your chances are right now okay but get some medically related experiences if you can and pick unique things you enjoy that stand out! Good luck!

Thank you lovestruck, I'll study hard for the MCAT this summer and do my best in my 3rd year.

Hi all,

I am wondering if someone can give me their opinion on my chances.

I just finished my third year at Queens.

GPA's per year

1: 3.75

2: 3.78

3: 3.94

4: ??? (hopefully 3.9 +)

cGPA so far: 3.82

(UofT)wGPA: 3.92

I have a couple of research experience [volunteered for a 10-year clinical research study during my second year and the summer before my third year, paid research assistant for a provincial organization during my third year (and hopefully will be coming back during my fourth year), finished an undergraduate research project during my third year in the department of oncology, currently doing summer research in peds (full-time), will be completing a thesis (biochem/wet-lab) and hopefully, another research project in a clinical setting]

Currently,

I also hold two club exec positions (I am the founder/president for one of them), currently volunteering at a nursing home (volunteered there since grade 9), and a several other volunteering positions during my undergrad (ie. for a rehabilitation/physical therapy centre, for fundraisers and etc).

I wrote my MCAT last summer. My scores were 14 in BS, 10 in PS, Q in WS, and a 6 in VR :( . I will be re-writing my MCAT at the end of June (and maybe again in August if my second VR mcat scores are not that great- but hopefully not).

I feel that my chances for Canadian Schools are not that high since its extremely competitive here. So I am considering applying to Caribbean/Australian Schools (I started my application for St. George's today in fact). I am also planning to apply to some US schools (but this also depends on my new MCAT scores *crossing my fingers for 10+ in VR*).

Thanks and I really appreciate your thoughts!

WTF! With that GPA, you want to go to the Caribbeans? For the love of God, try just rewriting your MCAT and improving VR, some schools like UofT only use the MCAT as a cut-off, and I think there cut-off is not high. McGill doesn't require MCAT if you studied in Canada. You could also look at US schools (MD and DO) (seems you have the money because you are considering Australia). International schools are to be avoided, getting a residency while being an IMG is very hard, and you may not get one no matter how strong you are.

Thank you future_doc and Robin Hood for replying! I definitely don't have the money but I am willing to do what I can (I come from a low-income family with illiterate parents in fact- I had to work all my life- worked at Tim Hortons for four years during high school, two years at a friend's hair salon during middle school).

Oh, I assumed you had the money because you were considering Australia, which is expensive.

Hello pm101.

Just finished first year at Queen's and I haven't done as well as I would have liked. Still, not a disaster. Overall, I got a 3.16 with bio + 2 maths. I got a C in stats and first semester bio which really pulled me down. Luckily, I managed to pull off a B in second semester bio.

Still, I haven't lost my head and would like to ask more experienced members if this is recoverable and if so, what schools would I be competitive for in Canada?

p.s. I plan on taking a fifth year as I will be doing an exchange for a year sometime so if I was wondering if that would be beneficial or a hindrance?

Hey guys, I just got all my marks in for third year, and so far it's not looking good at all in terms of GPA, I'm currently in UTSG Life Science:

1st Year: 3.58

2nd Year 3.44 (I got a GPA under 3 first semester due to depression, but second semester I got 3.78 and pulled my cGPA back to >3.5).

3rd year: 3.65

4th year: ????

My current cGPA is a 3.56, which is quite disappointing considering I only got 1 year left. I volunteered at Sick Kids, Buskerfest x2 (I'm doing it again this summer after MCAT on August 16), and I'm doing research at a hospital next year starting September.

I was wondering if I still have a shot? I can 4.0 everything next year and my wGPA for Queen's will only be a 3.82, which isn't good enough. I might do an extra year, but does Queen's or Western still count a 5th year as top 2? My last resort would be American med.

Hello pm101.

Just finished first year at Queen's and I haven't done as well as I would have liked. Still, not a disaster. Overall, I got a 3.16 with bio + 2 maths. I got a C in stats and first semester bio which really pulled me down. Luckily, I managed to pull off a B in second semester bio.

Still, I haven't lost my head and would like to ask more experienced members if this is recoverable and if so, what schools would I be competitive for in Canada?

p.s. I plan on taking a fifth year as I will be doing an exchange for a year sometime so if I was wondering if that would be beneficial or a hindrance?

i'm sorry to hear that. a 3.16 with bio + 2 maths?

a B in bio? Did something happen during the year? did you party a lot? did you end up spending less time for the courses?

If those are the reason then you might have a chance if you end up doing well for the next 3 years. But if you tried hard and still struggled in bio, math you can either

1) forget about medicine

2) find another field of studies where you're good at that you can excel in.

Doing an exchange may be good or bad depending on how you do. It can be risky if grade conversion from whereever you're staying at is not beneficial. plus you need to get transcripts from those universities too which can be a hassle.

If you end up pulling your grades up to ~3.8-3.9 and own up the MCAT you may have some chance at med schools.

It also depends on where you live -- you might have a greater chance at schools in your province (maybe except for ontario).

Hey guys, I just got all my marks in for third year, and so far it's not looking good at all in terms of GPA, I'm currently in UTSG Life Science:

2nd Year 3.44 (I got a GPA under 3 first semester due to depression, but second semester I got 3.78 and pulled my cGPA back to >3.5).

My current cGPA is a 3.56, which is quite disappointing considering I only got 1 year left. I volunteered at Sick Kids, Buskerfest x2 (I'm doing it again this summer after MCAT on August 16), and I'm doing research at a hospital next year starting September.

I was wondering if I still have a shot? I can 4.0 everything next year and my wGPA for Queen's will only be a 3.82, which isn't good enough. I might do an extra year, but does Queen's or Western still count a 5th year as top 2? My last resort would be American med.

That must have been fun! :)

As for your GPA, western looks at best 2 years of full courseload where each year should be at least a 3.7. so you will need to do your fourth year and fifth year with at least a 3.7 in each. For queen, I believe they will consider your fourth and fifth year for GPA calculation (if you do plan to do a fifth year).

You gotta think about how you can improve your study skills for the next 2 years. Saying you will get 4.0 is not enough. Try to schedule your days such that you have enough time allocated for each course. Put a lot of effort and you will hopefully see it pays off :)

I don't know anything about American schools so I can't say anything on that.

3.56 at UTSG Life Sci?! Here I was thinking that was impossible!

i'm sorry to hear that. a 3.16 with bio + 2 maths?

a B in bio? Did something happen during the year? did you party a lot? did you end up spending less time for the courses?

If those are the reason then you might have a chance if you end up doing well for the next 3 years. But if you tried hard and still struggled in bio, math you can either

1) forget about medicine

2) find another field of studies where you're good at that you can excel in.

Doing an exchange may be good or bad depending on how you do. It can be risky if grade conversion from whereever you're staying at is not beneficial. plus you need to get transcripts from those universities too which can be a hassle.

If you end up pulling your grades up to ~3.8-3.9 and own up the MCAT you may have some chance at med schools.

It also depends on where you live -- you might have a greater chance at schools in your province (maybe except for ontario).

Actually, my math marks weren't the issue. 2 maths I got were A and A- right now. My official calculted gpa came out and converted to OSMAS it is 3.225. Maringal increase but better than nothing. For bio, I got a C- then pulled it up into a B. I never took bio in high school so it was information overload first semester. Second semester I buckled down and pulled off a B but slacked off in stats due to other reasons :/

All in all, I don't struggle with math nor bio anymore. Guess it was just the first time round that I had trouble with. From what I gather, if I pull the miracle of my lifetime and ace the next 3/4 years I can still be somewhat competative?

Sadly, I do live in Ontario :(

Actually, my math marks weren't the issue. 2 maths I got were A and A- right now. My official calculted gpa came out and converted to OSMAS it is 3.225. Maringal increase but better than nothing. For bio, I got a C- then pulled it up into a B. I never took bio in high school so it was information overload first semester. Second semester I buckled down and pulled off a B but slacked off in stats due to other reasons :/

All in all, I don't struggle with math nor bio anymore. Guess it was just the first time round that I had trouble with. From what I gather, if I pull the miracle of my lifetime and ace the next 3/4 years I can still be somewhat competative?

Sadly, I do live in Ontario :(

perfectly understandable, bio is a lot of material esp if u had no previous exposure.

3.225 + 4.0 + 4.0 + 4.0 / 4 ~= 3.8?

You might be able to work it out if your MCAT is good. Are you from the GTA? ottawa region? southwestern ontario? rural ontario? If you're from the GTA, it may be difficult as you have no real regional advantage.

You could aim for McMaster (and you would need a great VR, great communication skills + people skills). With a 3.8 gpa it's totally possible at McMaster.

Same with UWO, if you have a great MCAT grade, with 3.8gpa it's possible.

UofT - not likely as they require a pretty high GPA. But if you qualify for their weighted GPA and apply at the end of 4th year you may make it depending on your reference letters + research experience + personal statement.

Queen's - if you do well on the next 3 years they might not look at your 1st year but the last 2 years.

uOttawa - it will be very hard as they're the most GPA oriented.

Hi there, I was wondering what my chances are on getting in to any professional school. my GPAs are

1st year: 3.90

2nd year: 3.61

3rd year: 3.80

4th year: 3.73

cGPA: 3.76

I'm writing the MCAT, PCAT and DAT this year and was wondering what my chances are on getting into to any with these marks and what I will need to get on these exams to have a fighting chance