Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

This is for a friend of mine... she was wondering what her chances are at Canadian (or US) med schools:

Y1: 2.2

Y2: 3.3

Y3: 3.6

Y4: 2.7

Y5: 3.6 (part-time, taking 3 courses)

cGPA: ~3.0

Masters in biotechnology at Johns Hopkins

Currently studying for MCAT

Some lab research (no publications)

Im sorry but reality is there is almost no chance with the current GPA. Even with a fantastic MCAT its not possible. Either go back to get another undergrad pull up your GPA or if you happen to be a resident of manitoba apply because they mostly care about MCAT (70% pre interview score)

Hi all!

I'm looking to get some feedback on whether I should try a practice run on applications for this year.

2.6, 3.6, 3.88 (4.5 credits, 5 credits, 5.5 credits)

I am going into my fourth year and am writing my MCAT at the end of the summer. I am IP in Alberta. I just started studying for the MCAT and I did the AAMC 10 as a diagnostic and got 8/7/11vr. I'm hoping that I can improve the ps and bs at least a 9/10 (which hopefully should be do-able since I had very little ochem and physics previous content when doing the diagnostic). I have done other VR sections and I constantly score between 10-12. However, since I won't be getting the score back till the end of September, I feel like I should know if I am applying by the beginning of September. I do not have the pre-reqs for the U of A so I was considering just applying to Calgary for practice. Is it a good idea or is it a complete waste of money? I'm open to any feedback :)

It is a good idea.

All of his activities are during the school year (except for the overseas hospital internship and the research). His residence position is almost a full time job. He has to plan events for his residence and manage a team of junior residence leaders and this takes most of his time. He easily spends 30 hrs/week on ECs. Sorry for not wording it properly in the OP but does it sound better now?

Also do you think he should take up sports or music?

Thanks for all your help!

Yes. He should follow his interests, continuing with ECs shows commitment & dedication. Only go for sports or music if genuinely interested and has the time, otherwise if would be a waste of precious time.

Assuming this are all of the ECs I have, what are my chances like for Ontario schools?

I can't apply OOP as my chances as a 3rd year are low and I cannot afford the plane ride there for a slim chance.

3rd year applicant (entering 3rd year this fall).

ECs and Achievements:

• 3 publications in non-clinical, small impact journals (impact factor ~4) - 2 of which I am the 2nd Author and 1 of which I am the Co-author.

• Volunteering of 300+hrs at a local hospital - 2 years.

• Vice-President of a club - 1 year

• Treasurer/Secretary of a club - 1 year

• Volunteer Note-taker for students with disabilities - 2 years

• Peer-Mentor for students with learning disabilities (Aspergers, Autistic, ADHD) - 1 year

• Valedictorian of my HS

Thank you!

Couldn't really tell you without knowing gpa/MCAT breakdown. Your EC's seem fine, nothing overly outstanding but competitive. You don't need to be outstanding, competitive is good enough :)

Assuming this are all of the ECs I have, what are my chances like for Ontario schools?

I can't apply OOP as my chances as a 3rd year are low and I cannot afford the plane ride there for a slim chance.

3rd year applicant (entering 3rd year this fall).

ECs and Achievements:

• 3 publications in non-clinical, small impact journals (impact factor ~4) - 2 of which I am the 2nd Author and 1 of which I am the Co-author.

• Volunteering of 300+hrs at a local hospital - 2 years.

• Vice-President of a club - 1 year

• Treasurer/Secretary of a club - 1 year

• Volunteer Note-taker for students with disabilities - 2 years

• Peer-Mentor for students with learning disabilities (Aspergers, Autistic, ADHD) - 1 year

• Valedictorian of my HS

Thank you!

I've always been reading these threads, but never actually posted so here goes.

I'm in an Honors Neuroscience degree,

Y1: 3.4

Y2: 3.5

MCAT: Haven't written it yet, but will soon

ECs:

- exec in a student group

- been tutoring immigrant students etc for a couple years now which is a part of the tons of volunteer experience with community (organizing events, tutoring kids, working there during the summer at day camps etc) - I hope this makes me look consistent since I've been doing this for about 5 years

- during highschool I had an internship at university, spent it working in a lab, I still help the prof out at various events (show up and talk about what I did that summer- encourage students to do summer research program as well)

- another year spent researching (this time in uni, planning to take research courses and volunteer with a neuroprof)

- been volunteering couple months now at a home for disabled children

- been volunteering for a couple months shadowing a neurologist (family friend lol)

- I also went traveling for four months, went to several third world countries, not with a organization or anything, just wanted to pursue my interests in finding out about third world countries, seeing what it was like to live there. My dream is to work with international aid agencies like doctors without borders, UN, Red Cross etc as a doctor, and after this trip, I want to do this more than ever.

- I can get several letters of recommendation (two REALLY good ones, and others from the places where I've only been volunteering for a couple of months if that helps at all)

- I am also a visible minority. Dunno if that helps but thought I'd just throw that out there

That's pretty much it. Haha I know my grades need a lot of work, but still, how does that look? Considering everything. I don't care, I'm going to continue to apply to med schools until I get in. I still have 2 years in my degree left, I'm hoping to pull off a near 4.0 in both years which I really think I can. I want to apply to U of C this upcoming year as I will be writing my MCAT in september, because I had a friend get in with a 3.3, a really good MCAT score and ECs. Do you think there's a point to apply in applying this upcoming year? I've only done two years, and usually ppl that have done two years that have gotten accepted have 4.0s. If anything, I just want to get used to the application process. But in all honesty, the biggest hurdle for me is scoring an interview- basically my grades are standing in the way. I KNOW if I get a chance in the interview I can do really well. I have really good social skills LOL. Anyway, I just want to know if I can apply to UofC this upcoming yr with these grades, provided I get a competitive MCAT score.

I basically wrote a novel lol but thanks for reading. Be brutally honest. Thanks!

GPA: OMSAS 3.93 (higher when weighted towards upper years)

MCAT: have not written yet, hoping to write it this summer. Will realistically score around 32-34.

Course load: so I started off as a general arts major in the University of Waterloo and ended up transferring to be a BSc in psychology at York University. I have completed 3 years so far, looking to apply next year. I will not be graduating next year though, because of my change in majors I will need 5 years for my degree. All years I have taken 5 courses/semester.

Extracurriculars:

- A full school year of part time volunteering as a research assistant in a cognitive psychology lab.

- Last summer working full time in a cognitive psychology lab.

- Volunteering for 8 months in a local hospital where I work with elderly to increase mobility and prevent cognitive decline.

- Helped train new volunteers for aformentioned hospital volunteering.

- Tutored a student with learning disabilities in statistics.

- Reporter for UW student newspaper (also got article of the week award)

- Volunteered for 3 years during my high school years for a youth movement where I ran weekly activities for children.

- Random RA work here and there for 2 psychology labs this summer.

I think my extracurriculars are a bit weak. I will be applying to Queen's, University of Toronto, McMaster, and the University of Ottawa this coming year.

Also, knowing that extracurriculars are likely my weak spot, I decided to make more of an effort and join several clubs that interested me, as well as pursue an independent study that will hopefully yield a publication, so if I don't get in next year, I will be much better off for the following year.

3rd year Applicant studying biophysics with a minor in classics applying to all Ontario (except NOSM and UWO this year) and Calgary.

GPA

1: 3.89

2: 3.95

cGPA 3.92

MCAT: 33R

11s across the board although I am sorely tempted to rewrite. I felt I could have done way better at PS/BS

ECs

Residence Adviser for 2 years (got rehired but not promoted)

Student government for 3 years (at Uni). design clothing for sale

Hospital/medical research volunteer ( they mimicked heart attacks in my arm to test drugs, also got to watch procedures with a cardiologist)

Worked at the NRC (national research council) designing phantoms (things you use to test new procedures or therapies) for surgeons and medical staff

Coached and managed high school cross country team for 2 years also ran a marathon

Organised 2 blood drives in my residence and also ran a movember campaign as well

Also did Dragonboat for the past 6 years, spent 3 hours a week tutoring kids for 4 years in high school, Reffed hockey and soccer for 6 years each, worked at baskin robins (assistant manager for 3.5 years) and ran my own pet sitting business.

I'm considering applying to states as well

3rd year Applicant studying biophysics with a minor in classics applying to all Ontario (except NOSM and UWO this year) and Calgary.

GPA

1: 3.89

2: 3.95

cGPA 3.92

MCAT: 33R

11s across the board although I am sorely tempted to rewrite. I felt I could have done way better at PS/BS

ECs

Residence Adviser for 2 years (got rehired but not promoted)

Student government for 3 years (at Uni). design clothing for sale

Hospital/medical research volunteer ( they mimicked heart attacks in my arm to test drugs, also got to watch procedures with a cardiologist)

Worked at the NRC (national research council) designing phantoms (things you use to test new procedures or therapies) for surgeons and medical staff

Coached and managed high school cross country team for 2 years also ran a marathon

Organised 2 blood drives in my residence and also ran a movember campaign as well

Also did Dragonboat for the past 6 years, spent 3 hours a week tutoring kids for 4 years in high school, Reffed hockey and soccer for 6 years each, worked at baskin robins (assistant manager for 3.5 years) and ran my own pet sitting business.

I'm considering applying to states as well

Do not rewrite MCAT. Hopefully, you will get an interview, but consider this a practice run for the real deal to come next year.

Bachelor of physiotherapy from India

Master in rehab from Mcmaster

possibly 2 publications by end of this year

received OGS in 2011 and various other award

some volunteering and work experience (hope to work on it!)

mcat not conquered yet (in 2013)

GPA (around 3.3-3.5)

Please reply! Thanks

Also consider applying to U of Manitoba.

Their pre-interview formula is: 73%MCAT and 27%AGPA. Seeing as your MCAT score is insane, you have an extremely high chance of getting an interview. I looked at the statistics last year for the OOP pool and the highest MCAT someone had in the OOP pool was 13.5 I believe and you have a 13.6.

Since you said you completed 5 years of undergrad, so you completed more than a 120 credit hours they will drop the lowest 30 credit hours (so your lowest 10 marks will be dropped!!). I think you definitely have a chance, so consider applying there (provided you have all the prerequisites).

And yeah, you have a chance at Queens and Western and McMaster. Also UofC--they drop your lowest courses I believe, multiply your GPA by 2 and add your VR score and then they might consider you for file-review. Seeing as your EC's are pretty good too, you have a chance there as well. I would apply broadly if I were at any case. You never know.

Wow! what a MCAT score! Could you throw in some tips/books you referred please!

Bachelor of physiotherapy from India

Master in rehab from Mcmaster

possibly 2 publications by end of this year

received OGS in 2011 and various other award

some volunteering and work experience (hope to work on it!)

mcat not conquered yet (in 2013)

GPA (around 3.3-3.5)

Please reply! Thanks

Honestly, your GPA is too low for any school. You could try applying to Mac, but would need an insanely good VR score and do well on Casper, but even then, VERY low chances.

I'd look to do another undergrad and aim for a 3.8+. Good luck

*sigh* I didn't want to do this initially but I really would like to hear some opinions about my info...so please feel free to tell me anything.

I am applying in this cycle. I have taken a full course load throughout my entire university education so far.

GPA

1st year - 3.7

2nd year - 3.8

3rd year - 3.88

MCAT

I scored 32Q when I wrote it last summer. However, I will be re-writing it this year because I received 8 in VR.

ECs

- research in a chemistry lab for the last 2 years (since 2nd year)

- working on a paper with a grad student right now but I don't know if it will be submitted AND accepted for publication before the application deadline in October

- various academic awards and scholarships in university and high school

- volunteer in the ER and Pediatric departments for the last 3 years

- worked as a TA this summer

- involved significantly in 2 clubs at university (held executive positions in both of them)

- involved in a mentorship program (as a mentor to 1st year students) since the last 2 years

- part of many clubs in high school as well (since it counts from age 16)

- shadowed a pediatrician for a couple of days

- presented a poster at a conference

- have been tutoring math on the side

I have a couple of other things, like helping in a bunch of fundraisers, but these are the main ones.

So please let me know what you guys think. :)

Hey guys, I haven't posted my stats here before, so I was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to chance me? Here are my stats:

Going into 4th year at UWO

cGPA: 3.6 (a bit on the low side, I know)

wGPA (UoT): 3.8

MCAT: 33S - BS=12, PS=11, VR=10

ECs:

Work experience:

-Tim Hortons (2 years) - very first job, just worked the floor and did timmie's stuff

-Statistics Canada Census Enumerator (1 summer) - went around collecting census forms

-SAM program summer assistant (1 summer) - helped run programs for the elderly and individuals with aphasia to keep them mentally and physically fit

Volunteer experience:

-Off Campus Advisor at UWO for 2 years; hired back as a Team Leader for a -third year (this was actually paid, but not on an hourly basis, and we do tons of volunteering as part of the job.....at various places in London incl: soup kitchens, museums, aid societies, fundraising, etc.)

-Involved with a pediatric clinical research project at Mac this summer

-Volunteer tutor at the Boys & Girls club for one year and counting

-Hospital volunteering on various wards (Complex continuing care, ALC, Rehab) for 5 years and counting (~250 hours)

-Volunteered in a microbio lab last year; will likely do my thesis there this year

-Involved with the billiards club on campus

-SPCAA volunteering for 2 summers

-Library volunteering: Homework helpers

I have done other volunteer events, but a lot of them were one time events...these are the ones that I'd consider "long term"

Misc.

-RCME piano until Gr. 7

-Intramural sports each year: waterpolo, volleyball

-Bronze cross in swimming

I was planning on applying to Toronto, Queens, and McMaster this cycle. I realize my GPA could be muuuch stronger, but I think my ECs are okay, I try to stick to stuff that I like doing so I hope that reflects itself on my application. I think my MCAT score is decent too, would have loved that 11 in VR but it was not to be. I guess I'm sort of mentally treating this cycle as a practice run (I'll still try my hardest, of course). If anyone could chance me, or give me suggestions for my application, I'd be very greatful. Thanks in advance!

You definitely have a shot! :P

*sigh* I didn't want to do this initially but I really would like to hear some opinions about my info...so please feel free to tell me anything.

I am doing Honours in Biochemistry with Thesis at the University of Windsor. I will be going into 4th year this September. So I am applying in this cycle. I have taken a full course load throughout my entire university education so far.

GPA

1st year - 3.7

2nd year - 3.8

3rd year - 3.88

MCAT

I scored 32Q when I wrote it last summer. However, I will be re-writing it this year because I received 8 in VR.

ECs

- research in a computational chemistry lab for the last 2 years (since 2nd year)

- working on a paper with a grad student right now but I don't know if it will be submitted AND accepted for publication before the application deadline in October

- various academic awards and scholarships in university and high school

- volunteer in the ER and Pediatric departments for the last 3 years

- worked as a TA this summer

- involved significantly in 2 clubs at university (held executive positions in both of them)

- involved in a mentorship program (as a mentor to 1st year students) since the last 2 years

- part of many clubs in high school as well (since it counts from age 16)

- shadowed a pediatrician for a couple of days

- presented a poster at SOUSCC (chemistry conference) 2012

- have been tutoring math on the side

I have a couple of other things, like helping in a bunch of fundraisers, but these are the main ones.

So please let me know what you guys think. :)

I will be applying this year.

Ontario/GTA resident

cGPA: 3.82

wGPA at UT: 3.92

wGPA at ottawa, queens, western and calgary: 3.86

Volunteering at nursing home (one-on-one visits and etc.) and my local hospital

Summer research assistant in the lab- I might get published this year

Thesis student

Two exec positions (one co-pres/founder and one vice-pres)

A few employment positions in the past few years (ie. in translational research)

Volunteering for a clinical research study

Academic awards and scholarships

A few other random volunteering jobs for fundraisers and such

I just re-wrote the MCAT a few weeks ago. (first scores: 13,8,12)

What schools do I have a shot for and what schools outside Canada should I apply to?

Thanks,

Egg