Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

The PhD was an idiot and absolutely deserved rejection.

I have found in reviewing essays that those with PhDs don't write good essays that are competitive. They usually need the most help. Raw intelligence and marketing have nothing to do with each other. Good judgment and common sense is a precious commodity as is the ability to write meaningful material that will make the readers want to meet you. It is an art, not taught tgo those who need it most.

First time applying this year - which schools would I have a fair chance at?

Just graduated from UBC with a Bachelor of Science in Biology

BC Resident

GPA

1st year: 3.90

2nd year: 3.90

3rd year: *Studied abroad* (all A's and A+'s, transcript approved by WES/ICES)

4th year: 3.98

MCAT

32R (PS:10, VR: 9, BS:13)

ECs

Awards: quite a few scholarships (totaling ~$20,000), summer research internship in Montreal

Work: research at cancer centre, campus study lounge, restaurants/cafes, retirement home

Volunteer: cancer centre, lab work while abroad, campus new student orientation, Run for the Cure, humanitarian work in South America, off-campus student space, several fundraisers,

Miscellaneous: studied abroad, learned second language, manager/owner of a small business, varsity outdoor club, pre-med club, soccer teams, student legacy council, diverse travel/backpacking experiences

Thanks so much for your time! Feel free to PM me if you'd like :)

Thanks for the quick reply, future_doc!

I've already submitted my application to UBC, and am thinking of applying to Calgary, Alberta, U of T, Ottawa, McMaster, Queens, and McGill.

Of those schools, are there any that you think I wouldn't stand a chance at?

Hey

Was wondering if anyone could comment on my chances...

GPA

1st Year 3.82

2nd Year 3.61

3rd Year 3.88

4th Year 3.92

cGPA 3.807

MCAT

PS/VR/BS/W

10/10/11/R

Extra-cirriculars:

numerous, (not really too worried about this), I have one publication were I was the 4th author, numerous research and volunteering scholarships/awards

I am starting graduate school in public health in september and expect to finish for next september just in time for medical school.

I wrote the MCAT 4 times, and I finally got 10s across the board, I am really excited, but at the same time I want to know realistically what Canadian medical schools I have a shot at

Any help would greatly be appreciated :)

Ello Ello,

I'm just trying to get any feedback/advice as to what my chances are for Canadian and American schools with these scores (my first test):

GPA: I think roughly a 3.4 on a 4.0 scale

Physical: 8

Verbal: 10

Biological: 11

29N (I know it's an excuse.. but I was going through a breakup and running on 5 hrs sleep during test time.. insert sadface)

Extra-curriculars:

Numerous campus clubs and volunteer organizations, some of which I was part of the Presiding Exec., Varsity Sports, Residence Life Don/R.A., and Hosptial Shadowing/Observership

I just want to know where I stand and if it would be in my best interest to take the MCAT a third time (as my second time scores haven't come out yet, not until Sept. 23rd) but I don't think they are much, much higher than the first time.

I know I would do very well in the interview... but the trick is getting, there.. now isn't it aha. Thanks in advance.

uk3s

^^^^^

If you are an Ontario resident, your only shot is Mac if you do excellent on CASPER. I don't thing you have a chance at US schools.

It's better to post your GPA by year. Some schools look at best/last 2 years.

ahhh thanks for your blunt honesty. You'd advise me to not waste my time applying elsewhere - like UofT or Western who drop courses/marks for certain years - due to my low MCAT?

ahhh thanks for your blunt honesty. You'd advise me to not waste my time applying elsewhere - like UofT or Western who drop courses/marks for certain years - due to my low MCAT?

Well you didn't provide enough information. Western does NOT drop courses/marks, UT does, given you've taken full course load every year. You would get more feedback if you post your yearly GPA and how many courses you took each year.

I think I should probably only apply to Mac, and I know my shot isn't the greatest but I'm hoping if I ace the CASPer it's there. Any insight would be appreciated.

GPA by year:

plus a couple summer courses at 3.90 and 4.00

Overall GPA 3.27

Will the fact that I improved my GPA each year (with the exception of my final year which I chose an especially rigorous course load for) help me at all?

MCAT 35M

P - 10

V - 14

B -11

Bombed the written portion somehow.

I'm doing a Master's currently, but have a year left so that won't count for this application cycle.

I think I should probably only apply to Mac, and I know my shot isn't the greatest but I'm hoping if I ace the CASPer it's there. Any insight would be appreciated.

GPA by year:

plus a couple summer courses at 3.90 and 4.00

Overall GPA 3.27

Will the fact that I improved my GPA each year (with the exception of my final year which I chose an especially rigorous course load for) help me at all?

MCAT 35M

P - 10

V - 14

B -11

Bombed the written portion somehow.

I'm doing a Master's currently, but have a year left so that won't count for this application cycle.

Nice VR score :) Mac all the way.

NB Resident

Applying to Dalhousie (DalMedNB) and undecided on others

B.Sc Biology&Economics, UNB (2011) - cGPA 4.0 (3.84 OMSAS)

additional year part-time at Queen's

MCAT - 11/9/12/S = 32S

EC's -

-NSERC x1, no pubs

-TA x2 in Biology/Microbiology

-volunteering in ER, simulated medical student

-other volunteering for major political parties and coaching sports teams

-occasional contributor to public policy think tank research papers

-varsity athlete at Queens, medalist @ Canada Summer Games / other fulltime training&competing in my sport for 5 years

-active in a student political group/ trip to Washington DC

from what I can surmise I'll have a decent shot at Dal? it seems like everywhere else I'll have at least 1 factor working against me though.

Ontario Resident

3rd year applicant

OMSAS cGPA: 3.93

MCAT: 32O (14/6/12)

EC: Average - Below Average

You need to retake the MCAT, I would focus on getting a higher verbal score instead of applying this year. If you are set on applying this year, the only school you have any sort of shot at is Ottawa since they don't look at the MCAT, but you need stellar ECs for an acceptance there.

You definitely have a good shot at Dal, just prepare well for the interview (it's worth 40% of your application). Your academics look great, but are only worth 25%. Do you have much work experience? It's worth just as much as your medically-related volunteer work. Something to keep in mind...

NB Resident

Applying to Dalhousie (DalMedNB) and undecided on others

B.Sc Biology&Economics, UNB (2011) - cGPA 4.0 (3.84 OMSAS)

additional year part-time at Queen's

MCAT - 11/9/12/S = 32S

EC's -

-NSERC x1, no pubs

-TA x2 in Biology/Microbiology

-volunteering in ER, simulated medical student

-other volunteering for major political parties and coaching sports teams

-occasional contributor to public policy think tank research papers

-varsity athlete at Queens, medalist @ Canada Summer Games / other fulltime training&competing in my sport for 5 years

-active in a student political group/ trip to Washington DC

from what I can surmise I'll have a decent shot at Dal? it seems like everywhere else I'll have at least 1 factor working against me though.

I will definitely be applying after I complete my fourth year and do my MCAT during the summer. But as of now....

GPA out of 4.0; all years were full time (5FCE)

Year 1: 3.82

Year 2: 2.54 (one terrible course worth 1.0 credit that killed me.)

Year 3: 3.73

==> Using weighting formula (dropping 3 FCs), my wGPA is 3.82

ECs:

Research: Summer Student volunteer, Lab Assistant (1 yr), Summer Independent Research Project (no publication but did an oral presentation)

Volunteering/Activities:

==> 16 to UNI: Student newspaper, Ambassador's Club (2 yrs), Science Olympics, Autisim Ontario Camp (2 summers), Peer Mentor, Business Club

==> UNI: 3 years of volunteering at Hospital, Ride for the Heart 25km, Science Rendevous, Word on the Street (3X), Off-Campus Mentor (1 year), VESA volunteering (Build septic tanks, teach English), Secretary (2 years) and then President (current) at student association (for my program of study), a few other miscellaneous clubs

In the event that I do apply, I would have secured strong reference letters from the hospital I volunteer at, from my research position and from the lab assistant position.

I was going to do the MCAT this summer but I changed my mind because the writing sample would have killed my chances; thankfully, it will be gone from the 2013 MCAT.

MY QUESTIONS ARE:

1. Should I beef up my ECs some more? If so, with what? Shadowing? Clubs? Research?

2. Given the leniency of Western's last 2 yr thang, Queens's best two years, and UofT weighting average, are these the only ones I should consider?

3. Second degree or Master's (which I would actually enjoy)?

I will definitely be applying after I complete my fourth year and do my MCAT during the summer. But as of now....

GPA out of 4.0; all years were full time (5FCE)

Year 1: 3.82

Year 2: 2.54 (one terrible course worth 1.0 credit that killed me.)

Year 3: 3.73

==> Using weighting formula (dropping 3 FCs), my wGPA is 3.82

ECs:

Research: Summer Student volunteer, Lab Assistant (1 yr), Summer Independent Research Project (no publication but did an oral presentation)

Volunteering/Activities:

==> 16 to UNI: Student newspaper, Ambassador's Club (2 yrs), Science Olympics, Autisim Ontario Camp (2 summers), Peer Mentor, Business Club

==> UNI: 3 years of volunteering at Hospital, Ride for the Heart 25km, Science Rendevous, Word on the Street (3X), Off-Campus Mentor (1 year), VESA volunteering (Build septic tanks, teach English), Secretary (2 years) and then President (current) at student association (for my program of study), a few other miscellaneous clubs

In the event that I do apply, I would have secured strong reference letters from the hospital I volunteer at, from my research position and from the lab assistant position.

I was going to do the MCAT this summer but I changed my mind because the writing sample would have killed my chances; thankfully, it will be gone from the 2013 MCAT.

MY QUESTIONS ARE:

1. Should I beef up my ECs some more? If so, with what? Shadowing? Clubs? Research?

2. Given the leniency of Western's last 2 yr thang, Queens's best two years, and UofT weighting average, are these the only ones I should consider?

3. Second degree or Master's (which I would actually enjoy)?

1. As it stands, your ECs look quite good- don't bother with shadowing unless you want to apply to US (if yes, then kill the MCAT). I think some research would help you out the most.

2. Western is best two years, and Queen's is last two years. You're okay for Western if your VR comes out at least 11, but for Queen's not so good atm. Do well in your fourth year, kill the MCAT, then apply to Ontario schools (your grades hold you back for most/all OOP schools).

3. You should know what you would enjoy more- but your only problem is grades, so a second degree would be more beneficial than Master's.

Hey everyone... I posted here a few months ago, but since application deadlines are coming up I was wondering if I could get some insight into my chances.

Any opinions are greatly appreciated!

I am currently a Master’s student (entering second year) at uOttawa.

Applying to only uottawa this year

Academics:

Did undergrad at uOttawa as well, OMSAS GPA is:

1st year: 3.3

2nd year: 3.69

3rd year: 3.86

4th year: 3.98

Overall cGPA: 3.72

Best two years: 3.92

uOttawa weighted: 3.89 (I am an in-Ottawa applicant)

U of T weighting: Do not apply, 9 courses only in 2nd year

MCAT: Have not written yet (I know this is a large predictor, but any advice with the current info would be great)

Extracurriculars/Volunteer:

1) Canadian Red Cross (10months and ~150-200 hrs) – Health equipment loan program – interacted with patients directly

2) Let’s talk science volunteer (>1 year) – Science outreach program

Just got promoted to a Let's Talk Science departmental leader (1 year contract)

3) Ball hockey coach (1 season [2months])- planing to do next season

4) started volunteering at the hospital

5) Started volunteering at the Children's Aid society [application process took a while at least a few months]

6) in high school did coop at the hospital (>200 hrs)

7) few one day events

6) Student council (>1 year) – was a student rep, this year got promoted to Vice president of the council (1 year contract)

7)Faculty of medicine summer student program (FMSSP) (2 summers) – research discussion group

Awards:

OGS, CIHR undergrad research awardsX2, Let's Talk Science dedication award, FMSSP 2nd best seminar award, Entrance scholarship into grad studies, deans list, merit scholarship

Hobbies:

-Hockey - Played for 8 years (till grade 12) now just play here and there at community centers and follow the sens religiously! lol

-Visual art - is a pass time of mine for many years (since grade 3)

Publications:

-Manuscript submitted (honours project) to PLoS ONE - currently doing revisions

-Manuscript in prep for Master's (prob going to be only 3rd or 4th author though)

sorry for the long post.... Any suggestion are welcome..

-Quebec resident doing a second Bachelor's degree

First Bachelor

-not fulltime

Second Bachelor

-fulltime (5 courses/semester)

-3 semesters completed as of today (important to mention since some schools require 2 full years to judge the student. at least i am graduating this coming Spring)

MCAT grades on the way in a few weeks

So what I am looking for:

-a school that will not kill me for my first bachelor's degree

-a school that would take into account the 2nd bachelor's I have (one for which the number of credits I have done (45) is sufficient to apply with)

McGill is #1 in all categories. They match all my criteria plus are my hometown university. But I am looking for backup plans. I am open to American Universities too.