Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

undergrad519,

You seem like an well-rounded applicant. If you are only considering Ontario schools, your best bet would be

U of T, Queens and McMaster(depending on how well you perform on CASPer), and uOttawa.

With Western's strict 11VR cutoff, you may be a stretch, but if you are a SWOMEN, then you may have a chance.

NOSM would be tough to get into, depending on context.

Your EC's may not be the strongest, but I believe they are good enough to merit some interviews.

Well that's my two cents.

undergrad519,

You seem like an well-rounded applicant. If you are only considering Ontario schools, your best bet would be

U of T, Queens and McMaster(depending on how well you perform on CASPer), and uOttawa.

With Western's strict 11VR cutoff, you may be a stretch, but if you are a SWOMEN, then you may have a chance.

NOSM would be tough to get into, depending on context.

Your EC's may not be the strongest, but I believe they are good enough to merit some interviews.

Well that's my two cents.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm currently planning on applying to Queens, Toronto, McMaster, Ottawa and Western. I'm not from a rural area so I'm pretty much ruled out of NOSM as far as I'm aware, and I'm not SWOMEN but I believe there is a small chance that MCAT cutoffs may change for Western? (i.e. Verbal minimum decreases while biology or physics minimum increases) Would I be wrong to apply just in case this occurs?

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm currently planning on applying to Queens, Toronto, McMaster, Ottawa and Western. I'm not from a rural area so I'm pretty much ruled out of NOSM as far as I'm aware, and I'm not SWOMEN but I believe there is a small chance that MCAT cutoffs may change for Western? (i.e. Verbal minimum decreases while biology or physics minimum increases) Would I be wrong to apply just in case this occurs?

Apply to Western if you have the extra money. You'll be kicking yourself if this is the one year that the VR cutoff is a 10 and you didn't apply.

Good shot at UofT, and an ok shot at Mac depending on your CASPer performance. Definitely a good shot at uOttawa if they like your sketch.

As a third year applicant, you can't even apply to Western. Queen's is worth it if you have the money, but I haven't seen anyone in a few years that has gotten in with a VR less than 10.

Just to clarify, I'm in 4th year, but thanks for the info. I'm urban, does that mean I shouldn't bother applying to Northern?

Just to clarify, I'm in 4th year, but thanks for the info. I'm urban, does that mean I shouldn't bother applying to Northern?

I'm so sorry about the confusion, that's my bad.

If you're an urban applicant, your context score will be very low for NOSM. In order to have any chance of admission or even an interview, you're going to need to have some sort of connection to the North.

Even with amazing academic stats and ECs, your chances of admission are extremely slim. I don't recommend applying to Northern. I know I won't.

Hey, I am in third year and wondering what my chances are of getting into schools in Ontario/Canada/The States in both third year and in fourth year).

Program: Queen's Science

cGPA = 3.84 in 1st year, 3.92 in 2nd year, and should be close to 3.94 in 3rd.

MCAT - 31S (11PS, 10 VR, 10 BS)

Extracurrics: lots of exec positions in both high school and university. volunteering at a couple of places in university for a year each. One volunteering position that was for 4 years. just 1 job in high school that continued into first year summer. well-rounded: both sports and arts extra-curricular interests. Sketch is quite impressive in my opinion. Multiple awards and scholarships.

Research: three volunteer research assistant positions. two of them are independent-project based and although they have not gotten that serious yet, there is a possibility to get published towards the end of this year. No publications as of yet.

References: 1 great academic letter, personal letter will be very strong but i have only known the referee for a year, 1 letter from research supervisor that is okay, but can be improved for next year.

Based on this, do you think I should rewrite the MCAT before applying in 4th year?

Is it okay to get a character reference letter for someone I have only known a year? I worked many hours with my referee and he has agreed to write me a REALLY good letter, but I am wondering if it is better if I get someone who I have known for like 7-8 years in total but have not kept in touch with as much in the last couple years?

Thanks in advance for your help. I have been following these forums and they have been SUPER helpful! Good luck with your apps everyone! :)

Apply broadly, including McGill.

The original post:

GPA:

1st year: 3.98

2nd year: 3.89

3rd year: 3.88

4 year: in progress

MCAT: 13 / 13 / 12 (bio)

Research: 4 months in a lab, no publication or anything

LOR's: Approximately good or very good

EC's: weak, sketch has less than 20 items.

I was hoping you could tell me why you specifically mentioned McGill?

Thanks

I'm so sorry about the confusion, that's my bad.

If you're an urban applicant, your context score will be very low for NOSM. In order to have any chance of admission or even an interview, you're going to need to have some sort of connection to the North.

Even with amazing academic stats and ECs, your chances of admission are extremely slim. I don't recommend applying to Northern. I know I won't.

Thanks so much, this is very useful

The original post:

GPA:

1st year: 3.98

2nd year: 3.89

3rd year: 3.88

4 year: in progress

MCAT: 13 / 13 / 12 (bio)

Research: 4 months in a lab, no publication or anything

LOR's: Approximately good or very good

EC's: weak, sketch has less than 20 items.

I was hoping you could tell me why you specifically mentioned McGill?

Thanks

McGill is a lottery but you are strong academically/with MCAT, just enough research (not that it is necessary), ECs are about quality and not quantity; so, if you do a good job with ABS, you have a shot. :)

Hey, I am in third year and wondering what my chances are of getting into schools in Ontario/Canada/The States in both third year and in fourth year).

Program: Queen's Science

cGPA = 3.84 in 1st year, 3.92 in 2nd year, and should be close to 3.94 in 3rd.

MCAT - 31S (11PS, 10 VR, 10 BS)

Extracurrics: lots of exec positions in both high school and university. volunteering at a couple of places in university for a year each. One volunteering position that was for 4 years. just 1 job in high school that continued into first year summer. well-rounded: both sports and arts extra-curricular interests. Sketch is quite impressive in my opinion. Multiple awards and scholarships.

Research: three volunteer research assistant positions. two of them are independent-project based and although they have not gotten that serious yet, there is a possibility to get published towards the end of this year. No publications as of yet.

References: 1 great academic letter, personal letter will be very strong but i have only known the referee for a year, 1 letter from research supervisor that is okay, but can be improved for next year.

Based on this, do you think I should rewrite the MCAT before applying in 4th year?

Is it okay to get a character reference letter for someone I have only known a year? I worked many hours with my referee and he has agreed to write me a REALLY good letter, but I am wondering if it is better if I get someone who I have known for like 7-8 years in total but have not kept in touch with as much in the last couple years?

Thanks in advance for your help. I have been following these forums and they have been SUPER helpful! Good luck with your apps everyone! :)

Do not rewrite MCAT and your reference should be fine. :) Apply in 3rd year just for the experience.

Hi guys, I've been a long time lurker on this forum... I'm in a desperate situation and although I know the answer deep inside, confirmation and words of wisdom would really help. :o

I went to SFU for 7 years (messed up my first 3 quite bad...), but I found a reason to pursue medicine so I've been giving it my all ever since.

early years.... (gpa probably... 70%):(

3rd most recent 3.43

2nd most recent 3.74

most recent year 3.92

(this is a converted scale to 4.0... not 4.33)

So my recent 2 years stands at 3.83. :confused:

My volunteering and employment experiences are... quite diverse.

lacrosse trainer, kendo, hospital musician, church musician, behavioural therapist for children with autism, counselling for first nations young adults, recreational therapy assistant, japanese landscape assistant, gas station customer service, motel manager, hospital volunteering and doctor shadowing in korea, cambodia english program coordinator, community service in a reserve (first nations)

research experience

- molecular biology (protein channel)

- body image dissatisfaction: ethnic variation paper (first author, manuscript being prepared to be sent to "obesity")

- first nations adolescent obesity research (primary investigator, published in department, req for my honours)

hobbies...

hiking, traveling, music, working out...

My passion, as you can see from my information above lies with rural/remote Canadians... particularly first nations people.

So besides my awful cGPA ... 3.2/4.0?

I just got my MCAT score of 20S.

It was my first time taking the MCAt and I cracked under the pressure... I got above 30 for my practice AAMC exams but I don't know what happened and I'm still trying to get over it.

My question is should I be spending another year to prep for my MCAT and reapply again? If my MCAT score is a solid 33 (11/11/11)... what are my chances, do I have a chance and if so... where should I apply?

Thanks

Hey guys, soooo I'm starting third year right now at McMaster right now..I've just got my MCAT scores and I'd like to know what my chances are..

VR:9 (ugh)

PS: 13

BS: 12

WR: R

Total 34R

1st year GPA (3.79)

2nd year GPA (3.95)

In terms of ABS, I have 35 items (only one research)..

So yeah, what's the verdict?

I hope you guys can give me some genuine advice on my chances :o Thanks!

3rd year applicant (entering 3rd year this fall).

Undergrad: UTSG

Resident of Toronto.

OMSAS GPA 3.96

Ottawa GPA: 3.97

Average: 90.3%

MCAT: 10(PS)/9(VR)/13(BS)/Q

ECs and Achievements:

• NSERC scholarship. 2 publications in small impact journals, 2nd Author and Co-author. Research posters + Presentation at Conference

• Volunteering of 200+hrs at a local hospital. Peer mentor for students with disabilities

• Vice-President of a club, exec of 2 other clubs.

• Top 100 at UofT. Deans list. Valedictorian of my HS (if this means anything)

Would my ECs be considered average?

Realistically, which medical schools should I be applying for?

Thank you!

Updated with my MCAT scores. Should I apply to Queens? Considering that they haven't accepted anyone with a 9 in VR since 2008..

I hope you guys can give me some genuine advice on my chances :o Thanks!

3rd year applicant (entering 3rd year this fall).

Undergrad: UTSG

Resident of Toronto.

OMSAS GPA 3.96

Ottawa GPA: 3.97

Average: 90.3%

MCAT: 10(PS)/9(VR)/13(BS)/Q

ECs and Achievements:

• NSERC scholarship. 2 publications in small impact journals, 2nd Author and Co-author. Research posters + Presentation at Conference

• Volunteering of 200+hrs at a local hospital. Peer mentor for students with disabilities

• Vice-President of a club, exec of 2 other clubs.

• Top 100 at UofT. Deans list. Valedictorian of my HS (if this means anything)

Would my ECs be considered average?

Realistically, which medical schools should I be applying for?

Thank you!

Updated with my MCAT scores. Should I apply to Queens? Considering that they haven't accepted anyone with a 9 in VR since 2008..

If you have the money, apply everywhere you can except for Western. You'd kick yourself if you didn't apply to Queens and someone with a 9 in VR gets in this year.

Alberta resident

mcat: 10/11/13 s

cgpa 3.4

y1: 2.6

y2: 3.6

y3: 3.88

y4- in progress

currently have filled out omas and the calgary app

which ontario schools should I attempt?

about 20 omas sketch items

For Calgary posted by imperfection in the OOP thread under U of Calgary

VR of 8 required a GPA of 3.99

VR of 9 required a GPA of 3.95

VR of 10 required a GPA of 3.91

VR of 11 required a GPA of 3.87

VR of 12 required a GPA of 3.86

VR of 13 required a GPA of 3.84

VR of 14 required a GPA of 3.76

http://mdadmissions.ucalgaryblogs.ca/

... I was going to apply Calgary but now am not due to their VR and GPA hard cut-offs. hope this helps. Also I've been told not to bother with Northern as they want some rural (go for it if you're rural). and Ottawa I believe has a high GPA cut-off but Toronto, McMaster maybe and Queens.. not sure to much on western but I'm not applying there as i was also told would not be my best choice. Thought about Alberta?

Thanks. I don't have pre-reqs for Alberta but am IP for Calgary so I may throw my app in there anyways.

I'm thinking for Ontario to just apply to Western. I'm thinking that my CGPA is too low for Mcmaster since I'm OOP and don't think my ECs are good enough for Queen's so I'm not sure if I should apply there. I may try Western, at least to hopefully get an interview based on the one year above 3.7 thing,

just wondering if people can comment on my chances

current 4th year at UBC in life sciences , Vancouver resident

gpa

year 1: 3.4

year 2: 3.93

year 3: 3.94

84% overall

mcat

10/11/11 R

ec's

worked full time in same restaurant for 6 years (1.5 year host, 3 year server, 1.5 to present supervisor/assisitant manager)

200 hours hospital volunteering (2years)

1 NSERC (biological oceanography)

volunteered in same lab for 8 months - 150 hours

soccer all of university - 4 hours a week

club executive for 2 years

I know my EC's aren't great any tips on an area I should try to improve?

Thanks

Hi,

I just finished CEJEP in Montreal, and moved to Toronto in psychology where I am actually taking science classes. My prerequisites for Pre-Med at Mcgill are complete but I didn't get good grades, that's why I took the MCATs and got a really good score (36). So my question is: Can I apply to Pre-med at Mc Gill even though I'm not a CEJEP student anymore? I will have complete one semester at university by the time I apply at Mc gill (15 credits)...

Thank you