Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

And who tells you that you will obtain a seat at McMaster? You have no idea where lightning will strike and anybody sensible would want to maximize their chances and not deliberately minimize them. There is no valid reason whatsoever not to take a fullcourse load as I understand the situation. Good judgment goes a long way for those seeking entry to med school.

I don't like writing he/she so i'm just going to say he :D

He either thinks his GPA is going to hold him up or that he can ace VR, or both. OP, I suggest doing a few verbal passages and get a feel of where you stand before being set on applying to Mac only. GPA and verbal/MCAT are not necessarily correlated. People with 4.0 full course-load get 7-8 on verbal.

Some VR passages are not English. They are a foreign language, at least to me :D

Looks to us that you are going about this the wrong way. You are putting all your eggs in one basket. Others have applied to just one school and gotten in though. All things are possible, even if not probable. I'm a simple person, I took a fullcourse load, I was a straight A student and fortunately, got into med school sooner rather than later. There are no guarantees and I consider myself lucky. I never would have dreamt of taking just 1 course, 2 courses or 3 courses. It is unimaginable to me why anybody with no disabilites and a very good reason would even consider going down such a path if seriously interested in getting into med school. Essentially a 3.97 GPA with 3 courses might be equal to a 3.65 GPA (who really knows) for 5 courses. If I were in admissions, I would be unimpressed and understand that I have not thelightly clue as to your capability as a med student where the workload is very heavy.

I don't like writing he/she so i'm just going to say he :D

He either thinks his GPA is going to hold him up or that he can ace VR, or both. OP, I suggest doing a few verbal passages and get a feel of where you stand before being set on applying to Mac only. GPA and verbal/MCAT are not necessarily correlated. People with 4.0 full course-load get 7-8 on verbal.

Some VR passages are not English. They are a foreign language, at least to me :D

These are crucial daleader, it's not a math test you're taking so don't expect to not study walk in and run 15Ts. It just won't happen.

Take some time, whether you wish to apply to Mac alone or maybe more a full course load this year would be most beneficial. Start with that and see what happens.

I agree with you guys in taking full course load next year but what I don't understand is that even if I take 2 years full load, how can that increase my chances?

There are certain schools that need 4 years full-load or just counts GPA in those full-load years, even if I stay an extra year and take full load, that wouldn't increase my chance in those schools right?

i don't see any medical school that will accept me (a higher chance of) that requires 1 or 2 years full load, am I correct?

I agree with you guys in taking full course load next year but what I don't understand is that even if I take 2 years full load, how can that increase my chances?

There are certain schools that need 4 years full-load or just counts GPA in those full-load years, even if I stay an extra year and take full load, that wouldn't increase my chance in those schools right?

i don't see any medical school that will accept me (a higher chance of) that requires 1 or 2 years full load, am I correct?

I'm unsure of which med school you're looking at requiring a full undergrad course load?

Ottawa, Western, UBC, they are looking at course load. Some need 4-4, some need 5-5. Queens is the only one that counts 3-3 as a full-course load.

So my point is that even if I take the 2 years full-course load, I still won't be competitive for Ottawa or UBC, don't you agree?

In your opinion, with my GPA and ECs, if I take 2 years full load, and do MCAT of ~30-31, which medical schools in Canada do you think I will be competitive for? (So my undergrad will be 5-6 years with 2 years full load 5-5)

Thanks!

Ottawa, Western, UBC, they are looking at course load. Some need 4-4, some need 5-5. Queens is the only one that counts 3-3 as a full-course load.

So my point is that even if I take the 2 years full-course load, I still won't be competitive for Ottawa or UBC, don't you agree?

In your opinion, with my GPA and ECs, if I take 2 years full load, and do MCAT of ~30-31, which medical schools in Canada do you think I will be competitive for? (So my undergrad will be 5-6 years with 2 years full load 5-5)

Thanks!

I'm unsure of UOttawa and Western, however unless i've totally missed it I don't believe UBC requires 4 years of full course load.

I'm actually not sure if anyone is over 2 years requirement to be honest...

Maybe its a misunderstanding from me, this is from Ottawa:

".....three years of full-time studies (five full-year course/year) in any undergraduate program leading to a bachelor’s degree, including four specific prerequisite courses..... "

"A full-time academic year where the equivalent of four (4) full-year courses is taken is accepted and counted in the WGPA calculation only if the missing course/credit is completed either as an additional course within another academic year or as a summer course. Individual courses taken during a summer session are accepted for the credit value in this instance however the mark obtained is not counted in the calculation of the WGPA. Any year with less than four full-year courses will not count as a full-time year of study. "

Does this mean that they need 120 credit hours courses (4 years of 5courses) but if you take 3-3 they count the credits but not the GPA? So If I do 3 years of 3-3 and 2 years of 4-4.. The 3-3 is not counted in GPA but they will still accept me?

I am so confused. I have the feeling that even if they use only 2 years of 5 years for my GPA, they still won't like be impressed

They say they need

Maybe its a misunderstanding from me, this is from Ottawa:

".....three years of full-time studies (five full-year course/year) in any undergraduate program leading to a bachelor’s degree, including four specific prerequisite courses..... "

"A full-time academic year where the equivalent of four (4) full-year courses is taken is accepted and counted in the WGPA calculation only if the missing course/credit is completed either as an additional course within another academic year or as a summer course. Individual courses taken during a summer session are accepted for the credit value in this instance however the mark obtained is not counted in the calculation of the WGPA. Any year with less than four full-year courses will not count as a full-time year of study. "

Does this mean that they need 120 credit hours courses (4 years of 5courses) but if you take 3-3 they count the credits but not the GPA? So If I do 3 years of 3-3 and 2 years of 4-4.. The 3-3 is not counted in GPA but they will still accept me?

I am so confused. I have the feeling that even if they use only 2 years of 5 years for my GPA, they still won't like be impressed

They say they need

Aye...Yeah that is worded weird. I'd go to the Ottawa section and ask specifically about it. People going there can explain better.

Can you please clarify from your understanding that if I take full-course load the next 2 years, in which schools I will be competitive for?

My concern is that, if a school looks at course load, and even if I take 1-2 years of full course load, they will still accept another student with all years of full-time?

Shouldn't I just aim for schools that don't mention anything about course load?

I have no problem with taking 4-4 or 5-5 this year but only if I know this increases my chance at certain schools?

lol. Are we still on the same person?

Ok, OP, I'm going to break it down for you for the last time (hopefully).

If you have 2 full course-load years with a decent MCAT (30+ with a preferred 10+ VR) these are the schools that you'll qualify for (off the top of my head):

Dalhousie, UWO, Queens, Alberta, Calgary, Mac

You would qualify for Ottawa only if your last year was 4-4 and you are planning to do the 2 full course-load years this year and next year.

So now it's up to you to decide whether you want to put all your eggs in one basket and apply to Mac or take my suggestion and increase your chances of getting into med school in Canada.

lol. Are we still on the same person?

Ok, OP, I'm going to break it down for you for the last time (hopefully).

If you have 2 full course-load years with a decent MCAT (30+ with a preferred 10+ VR) these are the schools that you'll qualify for (off the top of my head):

Dalhousie, UWO, Queens, Alberta, Calgary, Mac

You would qualify for Ottawa only if your last year was 4-4 and you are planning to do the 2 full course-load years this year and next year.

So now it's up to you to decide whether you want to put all your eggs in one basket and apply to Mac or take my suggestion and increase your chances of getting into med school in Canada.

Thanks man, I really appreciate it.

I will take your advice and take 2 years of full-load.

Since there was a discussion involving course load, I was wondering if the following course load I took would hurt my chances:

1st year - 11 courses (5 in the Fall, 6 in Winter)

2nd year - 9 courses (4 in Fall, 5 in Winter)

3rd year - 10 courses (5 each semester)

4th year - In progress (10 courses hopefully!)

Would it make a difference for certain schools, especially Ontario Med Schools + Alberta and Calgary if I didn't take 5courses a semester?

Cheers!

Thank you A-Stark! Hopefully it won't matter, but we'll have to see!

I was wondering what are my chances? (If I should also rule out some schools)

Born, raised and schooling in Ottawa, 4th year undergraduate student at University of Ottawa in Biomed.

GPA (out of 4) (BSC)

1st year-3.94

2nd year- 3.9

3rd year-3.94

4th year - In progress

MCAT- Undetermined(scores will be released late September)

Predicted scores : 11/7/13 O

Unfortunately I bombed the VR section so my application takes a huge blow, very disappointed, but oh well.

ECs (below average)

Ref soccer for the past 5 years

Played several competitive soccer teams + intramurals

I am part of a international volunteer club at my university

Volunteered abroad for one month with the club

Help organize events and fundraisers for the club

Any advice on my application would be greatly appreciated

Cheers!

Thank you A-Stark! Hopefully it won't matter, but we'll have to see!

I was wondering what are my chances? (If I should also rule out some schools)

Born, raised and schooling in Ottawa, 4th year undergraduate student at University of Ottawa in Biomed.

GPA (out of 4) (BSC)

1st year-3.94

2nd year- 3.9

3rd year-3.94

4th year - In progress

MCAT- Undetermined(scores will be released late September)

Predicted scores : 11/7/13 O

Unfortunately I bombed the VR section so my application takes a huge blow, very disappointed, but oh well.

ECs (below average)

Ref soccer for the past 5 years

Played several competitive soccer teams + intramurals

I am part of a international volunteer club at my university

Volunteered abroad for one month with the club

Help organize events and fundraisers for the club

Any advice on my application would be greatly appreciated

Cheers!

I'm not going to comment on the MCAT score, since it's tough to accurately predict what score you'll get.

In terms of your courseload, most schools won't mind. You will not be eligible for the UofT weighting formula, but your GPA is already competitive without the formula.

For your ECs, try to pick up a few things with leadership capacity this year.

Thanks Savac,

I have a strong feeling of predicting my MCAT score, I know I bombed the Verbal because I was unable to complete it on time, and without going into details, wasn't very fun!

Would you happen to know any schools I should not apply to with those MCAT scores?

Plus I will definitely try to improve my ECs, but it will be tough!