Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

Just curious for an unbiased opinion as to my chances at getting an interview/overall.

From the GTA.

B.M.Sc. from UWO (Honors Spec. in Microbiology & Immunology)

1st year GPA: 3.21

2nd year GPA: 3.74

3rd year GPA: 3.66 (I hate stats...)

4th year GPA: 3.78

Overall GPA: 3.6

MCAT: 10VR/11PS/12BS/S (overall 33S)

References: solid

Extensive retail experience, volunteered for many years with people with special needs (formal and informal.. ie. babysitting a friend with cerebral palsy), consistent volunteer at many of those random events (Relay for Life, day trips to local non-profit organizations, etc.), extensive volunteering with Shinerama and Terry Fox via UWO's Orientation Program, Orientation volunteer for 3 years, taught English in an elementary school in the Dominican Republic, worked in a medical clinic in Nicaragua, high school band, competitive intramurals throughout university, extensive student government experience all of high school (President) and throughout university (through Residence Life), couple of scholarships.

4th year thesis (no publications, but at least it's something?)

U of T's short essays: I'm pretty confident with them.

I've applied to all Ontario schools except NOSM.

Thanks in advance. :)

Just curious for an unbiased opinion as to my chances at getting an interview/overall.

From the GTA.

Extensive retail experience, volunteered for many years with people with special needs (formal and informal.. ie. babysitting a friend with cerebral palsy), consistent volunteer at many of those random events (Relay for Life, day trips to local non-profit organizations, etc.), extensive volunteering with Shinerama and Terry Fox via UWO's Orientation Program, Orientation volunteer for 3 years, taught English in an elementary school in the Dominican Republic, worked in a medical clinic in Nicaragua, high school band, competitive intramurals throughout university, extensive student government experience all of high school (President) and throughout university (through Residence Life), couple of scholarships.

No chance at Western since you don't make the 11 VR cut-off (unless that changes which is unlikely). Also, no chance at UOttawa since you don't make the wGPA 3.85 cutoff. These are pretty solid cut-offs, so I'd say it's about a 90% no for those schools.

However, for UofT and Queens, you do have a pretty decent chance, given your excellent extracurriculars. You may be on the border of GPA cut-off for Queens but since this cut-off is hypothesized by premeds and not officially stated by Queens, you could still be good. Mac will depend on Casper, but if you do well on that I don't see why you wouldn't get an interview. Your GPA is on the lower side, but your VR score is decent and your ECs are great!

You should really try for Calgary too. They do a 3 best years GPA calculation, predominantly look at VR for MCAT and have a very holistic review process. I think your strong EC's and good VR may be able to make up for the lower GPA. Good luck!

From the GTA.

If you lived in AB, you would be an ideal candidate for Calgary, but since you're OOP, your file won't even be looked at there if you applied.

Best of luck with Queen's, Mac or U of T.

If you lived in AB, you would be an ideal candidate for Calgary, but since you're OOP, your file won't even be looked at there if you applied.

Best of luck with Queen's, Mac or U of T.

I'm guessing because of the GPA cut-offs?

OP, if you don't get in this round, would you consider doing more undergrad? Your MCAT is solid and so are your ECs, so it's just GPA that may hold you back.

Thanks for the feedback. It confirmed what I already was thinking... figured Western and Ottawa were out of the picture. Here's hoping casper goes well tomorrow. I've always been proud of my EC's so I'm really hoping that will be sufficient to make me stand out, along with a good mcat and ok-not-great GPA.

I'm not really big on the idea of more undergrad. I'll see what happens this cycle and go from there.

1st year - 3.44

2nd year - 3.89

3rd year ~ 3.9

Overall ~ 3.72

I had full course load in 1st and 2nd year only...

MCAT - 9 PS /10 VR/ 12 BS Q

Not sure if I can improve my MCAT. For sure I can get higher PS, but VR is higher than my practice tests. (I was averaging 29~30 )

ECs -

High-level executive member for student associations (president/VP,etc for 4 clubs) (approximately ~2 years or in length varying hours 500+ hrs / each)

Around 3 regular volunteer activity for ~1.5 yr each (one is 4+ years)

Research volunteer (~2 years, no pub, 400+ hrs)

Work experience for ~8 years (managerial level)

Recreational sport/music? (martial art lessons, guitar lessons, etc for 12+ years)

***All these activities, I'm continuing***

Not sure which schools I can apply to.

What is your residential status (where are you considered IP?)

1st year - 3.44

2nd year - 3.89

3rd year ~ 3.9

Overall ~ 3.72

I had full course load in 1st and 2nd year only...

MCAT - 9 PS /10 VR/ 12 BS Q

Not sure if I can improve my MCAT. For sure I can get higher PS, but VR is higher than my practice tests. (I was averaging 29~30 )

ECs -

High-level executive member for student associations (president/VP,etc for 4 clubs) (approximately ~2 years or in length varying hours 500+ hrs / each)

Around 3 regular volunteer activity for ~1.5 yr each (one is 4+ years)

Research volunteer (~2 years, no pub, 400+ hrs)

Work experience for ~8 years (managerial level)

Recreational sport/music? (martial art lessons, guitar lessons, etc for 12+ years)

***All these activities, I'm continuing***

Not sure which schools I can apply to.

Calgary (prob won't make it to file review), Alberta (possibly worth a try), Manitoba (MCAT too low), Ottawa (GPA cutoff), NOSM, McGill, Dal (MCAT minimum + OOP), are probably out for various reasons.

Definitely apply to:

Queen's: Good chance, you meet "cutoffs" and ECs seem solid.

Toronto: Slim chance since you don't qualify for wGPA, but apply anyways.

Western: Rewrite MCAT and try?

McMaster: Very slim chance considering OOP, GPA and VR, even with great CASPer.

Not sure about others (Memorial?).

• 2 weeks later...

A college's acceptance rate tells you about the average applicant's chances of admission. But you aren't the average applicant. To find out what your chances really are, you'd have to get a broad sample of accepted and rejected students at each college. Fortunately, tens of thousands of prior college applicants have generously shared their own admissions results with Parchment, working with us to create a more transparent admissions process.

karneval fasching kostüme

karneval fasching kostüme

Kostüme für Fasching

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I've submitted applications to the following schools: UBC(IP), U of A (OOP), Western, Queen's, and Toronto. Here are my stats:

GPA:

1st Year - 3.89

2nd Year - 3.78

3rd Year - 3.6

4th Year - 4

5th Year - 3.95

Overall - 3.86

Dropping worst year - 3.89

U of A GPA with worst year dropped - 3.93

MCAT

13(BS), 10(VR), 13(PS), S(WS), Overall: 36S

(I now know that applying to Western was a waste of time with the VR=10.)

EC's

-Played varsity athletics at the college level for four year (various awards and lots of teamwork and leadership experience)

-Played on the provincial volleyball team for three years

-Coached and refereed over the past five years

-Worked in a hospital as a support service worker for five years (summers only)

-Worked in the recreation department of an extended care unit working with the elderly for one summer

-Executive in a student club on campus

-Worked in a research lab last summer (NSERC) and am currently working as a research assistant part-time

-Couple of minor-ish scholarships

I'm in the process of finishing up my degree (I know, six years, long time). I've switched directions numerous times and am wondering if this will hurt my chances.

Any opinions are much appreciated!

Anyone wanna give me an idea of how I look for Ontario med schools (mainly U of T, Western, Mac and Queens). I plan to apply next year! My GPA is based on my first two years and what I plan to get for marks this year (I'm currently in 3rd year...and am perfectly on track for this term so far!).

UofT weighted GPA = 3.88

Western/Queens 2 year GPA: 3.90 (I do have SWOMEN status for Western)

Mac cGPA = 3.80

MCAT: 10/10/10 Q

Some important ECs:

- University club exec (started this year)

- Youth Group President (Jan 2010 - Jan 2012)

- Choir director (church choir and a youth choir)

- Private piano teaching

- Around 40 hrs of shadowing a family physician during my last summer

- Summer work

- Scholarships and various awards throughout high school and university for several areas including leadership, piano performance, and academic achievement

The only thing I am worried about is my MCAT score, it seems to be right on the cutoff line for most schools... hopefully it will be okay!

Thanks so much for your input!

Cheers!

Good job on the SWOMEN status

seems like you're right on for Western (that MCAT seems to be fine to Western as a SWOMEN...although a diff story if not a SWOMEN)

ECs dont matter for western and it's all about the interview (although they indirectly matter since they'll ask questions about your life during the interview)

You'll probably get an interview from western so your task now is to prepare for the interview!

:D it's a traditional one so there's tonnnes of guides out there

Hey I'm a first time poster, I was wondering if you guys could tell me my chances, My stats are: GPA-3.5, MCAT -13 Vr, 12 Ph, 14 Bio,Q, modest volunteer activities, one year long research project with professor (no publication), two terms working in large corporate pharmaceutical company lab...I have applied to

:

American

Albany

Albert Einstein

David Geffen UCLA

Keck-USC

NYMC

NYU

Stanford

Michigan

Washington

Wayne state

Weil Cornell

Yale

UC Davis

Canadian: UFT, Mac, Wester, Queens

So far I have received a screened secondary app invite from UCLA David Geffen, and prescondary rejection from UC Davis, the other secondary apps I have received are automatic from what I can deduce, also Washington St Louis sent me a second letter urging me to complete their secondary due to my high MCAT mark...I am currently in a one year pharmacology mbs program at Uof Guelph and need to make the decision to switch it to 2 year or not soon, thus I need to know am I likely to get into any of these schools...sorry for the long post, any input greatly appreciated

Hey I'm a first time poster, I was wondering if you guys could tell me my chances, My stats are: GPA-3.5, MCAT -13 Vr, 12 Ph, 14 Bio,Q, modest volunteer activities, one year long research project with professor (no publication), two terms working in large corporate pharmaceutical company lab...I have applied to

:

American

Albany

Albert Einstein

David Geffen UCLA

Keck-USC

NYMC

NYU

Stanford

Michigan

Washington

Wayne state

Weil Cornell

Yale

UC Davis

Canadian: UFT, Mac, Wester, Queens

So far I have received a screened secondary app invite from UCLA David Geffen, and prescondary rejection from UC Davis, the other secondary apps I have received are automatic from what I can deduce, also Washington St Louis sent me a second letter urging me to complete their secondary due to my high MCAT mark...I am currently in a one year pharmacology mbs program at Uof Guelph and need to make the decision to switch it to 2 year or not soon, thus I need to know am I likely to get into any of these schools...sorry for the long post, any input greatly appreciated

Any reason as to why you didn't apply to Manitoba? 3.5 for OOP is extremely low, but with that MCAT, you never know.

Any reason as to why you didn't apply to Manitoba? 3.5 for OOP is extremely low, but with that MCAT, you never know.

As I am an Ontario resident I only focused on Ontario schools because I figured my gpa was too low to warrant consideration for OOP schools, I applied to American schools because of my MCAT. I am aware my GPA is low however I was in a pretty tough program with very little elective options (biochem at UWaterloo) and my cumulative average was still 81 and finished in the upper ranks of my graduating class, if that makes any difference, although I think not which really sucks.

As I am an Ontario resident I only focused on Ontario schools because I figured my gpa was too low to warrant consideration for OOP schools, I applied to American schools because of my MCAT. I am aware my GPA is low however I was in a pretty tough program with very little elective options (biochem at UWaterloo) and my cumulative average was still 81 and finished in the upper ranks of my graduating class, if that makes any difference, although I think not which really sucks.

Would you be willing to do more undergrad? With 2 years of 3.8+ you would be very competitive at every Ontario school. While it would be time consuming and expensive, the money/time you would save not having to come back to Canada from the States (if Canada is where you want to work...also remember that without US citizenship there are limitations on where you can do residency and where you can practice after...look up the Visa requirements and which schools are willing to take you because I know not all are) could be worth it?

Hi, I'm an Ontario resident. Applied to all Ontario schools and to McGill.

Just curious about my chances for interview/overall and for any opinions.

B.Sc - with honours

1st year - 3.65

2nd year - 3.65

3rd year - 3.89

4th year - 3.83

overall - 3.75

MCAT - 10VR / 12PS / 11BS Q (33Q)

EC's - Research for three years (no pub)

- Various work experience (research, project manager)

- Volunteer for one year

- Shadowing 200~hrs

- Peer Tutor (2 years)

- Club Activities (music, sports, etc.)

Also, I'm wondering if anyone knows if schools look at the actual transcript or the OMSAS transcript. I went to undergrad in USA and my GPA on the transcript is higher than what's listed above (here, A = 4.0; OMSAS, A = 3.9). So the GPA on my transcript is: 3.7/3.74/3.96/3.89 (3.8 overall)

Hi, I'm an Ontario resident. Applied to all Ontario schools and to McGill.

Just curious about my chances for interview/overall and for any opinions.

B.Sc - with honours

1st year - 3.65

2nd year - 3.65

3rd year - 3.89

4th year - 3.83

overall - 3.75

MCAT - 10VR / 12PS / 11BS Q (33Q)

EC's - Research for three years (no pub)

- Various work experience (research, project manager)

- Volunteer for one year

- Shadowing 200~hrs

- Peer Tutor (2 years)

- Club Activities (music, sports, etc.)

Also, I'm wondering if anyone knows if schools look at the actual transcript or the OMSAS transcript. I went to undergrad in USA and my GPA on the transcript is higher than what's listed above (here, A = 4.0; OMSAS, A = 3.9). So the GPA on my transcript is: 3.7/3.74/3.96/3.89 (3.8 overall)

I would say your best shot is at Queens and Mac.

UofT - Assuming you took full course loads in all years (5.0 credits), you will qualify for the weighting at UofT, which allows you to drop your lowest 4.0 credits. If your weighted GPA is >3.85, you have a decent shot there.

U of Ottawa - cutoff is 3.85, which you do not meet.

UWO - requires an 11 in VR. This has been a hard cutoff for a few years now, but you should try for it nonetheless.

NOSM - accepts mostly (only?) rural applicants.

Since you're not a Quebec resident, your chances at Mcgill is quite low.

Does your school hand out A+? Are percentages reflected on your transcript? If your answer is "no" to both of the two question, then your A should be a 4.0 (follow Scale #8, like Mcgill). I would call OMSAS up to clarify about this.

Hope this helped! Good luck!

Hi guys,

I'm wondering about my stats too.. hopefully someone can give me some feedback?

Ontario resident

3rd year applicant

1st year: 3.92

2nd year: 3.98

CGPA: 3.96

abs: Some club exec positions, research for 2 summers and reasearch volunteer over the school year (NSERC + External Scholarship), few university awards, hospital volunteering.

MCAT: 9PS/10BS/6VR (It was a brutal summer for me:( )

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

Hi guys,

I'm wondering about my stats too.. hopefully someone can give me some feedback?

Ontario resident

3rd year applicant

1st year: 3.92

2nd year: 3.98

CGPA: 3.96

abs: Some club exec positions, research for 2 summers and reasearch volunteer over the school year (NSERC + External Scholarship), few university awards, hospital volunteering.

MCAT: 9PS/10BS/6VR (It was a brutal summer for me:( )

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

Hi there! Your GPA of course is excellent, but you have a 2 things jumping out - often 3rd year applicants already have an up hill battle and your MCAT score is low, particularly in the most important section of VR. The schools that usually accept students early have higher cut offs than what you currently have (did you apply this year?)

Good news is you can rewrite and otherwise are on the right track!