Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

• 3 weeks later...

Could someone assess my best chances at particular schools, please?

Year1: 3.45 --> ~80 %

Year2: 3.80--> ~87%

Year3: 4.0--> ~90%

Year 4: pending

Still studying to write the MCAT. As for EC's i have:

NSERC USRA (no pub), worked in retail for 2 years, volunteer at a hospital (100 hours+), volunteer at seniors home, lab volunteering, University level tutoring/TA-ing.

NSERC USRA (no pub), worked in retail for 2 years, volunteer at a hospital (100 hours+), volunteer at seniors home, lab volunteering, University level tutoring/TA-ing.

What university are you attending? Are you sure you have correctly calculated your GPA? It just doesn't make sense to have a 4.0 and 90%, unless you got exactly 90% in all your courses. Or if 85%+ at your school is 4.0! Or maybe I'm just wrong :P

You have a bad first year of course but can you convert that to a wGPA for TO if that policy applies to you (and if not what year do you not have 5.0 credits?). I cannot look at that breakdown and tell you you chances at taht school.

Since you are applying next year that first year is out for Ottawa and if you do well this year then you can pass their cut offs as well. Last Mac is highly dependent on your MCAT - do well on the Mcat and you can apply there as well.

Some already mentioned you hit cut offs for Queens/Western but need of course a good MCAT. Basically you are recovering well from a bad first year - and at the cusp of reaping the chances to apply that will give you.

You have a bad first year of course but can you convert that to a wGPA for TO if that policy applies to you (and if not what year do you not have 5.0 credits?). I cannot look at that breakdown and tell you you chances at taht school.

Since you are applying next year that first year is out for Ottawa and if you do well this year then you can pass their cut offs as well. Last Mac is highly dependent on your MCAT - do well on the Mcat and you can apply there as well.

Some already mentioned you hit cut offs for Queens/Western but need of course a good MCAT. Basically you are recovering well from a bad first year - and at the cusp of reaping the chances to apply that will give you.

Thanks! I took a full course load every year, if that helps. And i tried calculating my GPA by taking out my lowest 3 credits with a resulting GPA of 3.86. So not too sure how competitive that is for UofT but if i can maintain high grades this year hopefully it should slightly go up

I go to U of T so anything over 85 is a 4.0 :)

I might be mistaken but although through U of T the GPA is 4.0, I don't think that is the case for the OMSAS GPA.

http://www.undergrad.engineering.utoronto.ca/Office_of_the_Registrar/Academic_Calendar/How_to_Calculate_Your_GPA.htm

http://www.ouac.on.ca/docs/omsas/c_omsas_b.pdf

If you look under "3", 90-100 is a 4.0, and under "7", A+ is a 4.0

EDIT: Sorry didn't see Savac's post

Oops, forgot! ok so recalculated to OMSAS i have:

1) 3.42

2) 3.78

3) 3.97

and for UofT's weighting formula it's 3.85 on the OMSAS scale

Not much difference - assuming this year goes well then what will your GPA for TO be after you drop two more courses out of that mix? 3.85 is somewhat lower than average but not extremely out of the range.

Again do well this year and Ottawa springs back up on the screen. You need a high VR on your MCAT for Western and also perhaps to bring Mac into the fold so make sure you prioritize your studying on that. It is more important than any other section.

Do you meet the full-time/year level requirements for Western? If so, you're more or less guaranteed an interview there if your MCAT meets the cut-off (if you're SWOMEN that would help too), because you have two years at > 3.70.

You're just below the average accepted GPA for Mac last year (although GPA is worth more this year, so that will likely be going up). You're also above the historical cGPA cut-off for Queens.

Not sure about Ottawa (you don't meet the cut-off for non-Ottawa residents, not sure about the others).

Do you qualify for the U of T weighting formula?

Summary of grades:

1) 3.76

2)3.68

3)3.72

What are my chances based on these grade for Ontario schools.

My ECs are relatively ordinary.

I'd just like to have an idea of what to do next ..

Well gents, I just completed my first semester of my first year at Brock University. My grades are all over the place.

64 in Stats

68 in Greek Civ

Current full year course marks:

79 in Intro to Health

85 in Biology

76 in Chemistry

77 in English

How do I fare?

Assuming you marks don't change you would have a 3.13 which is not competitive.

.5x2.0

.5x2.3

2.0x3.3

1.0x3.9

1.0x3.0

=3.13

However if you can pull some marks up (turn that 79 into an 80 etc.) you can boost it up a bit.

My advise: learn from this(why you lost marks) and improve for the current semester.

I have quite a complicated background and was wondering if anyone with experience could comment.

4 year honours 2000-2004 cGPA = B-

2004/5 half year extra courses = B+

2005-6 Teachers College = 3.9ish

2007-present high school teacher

2008-9 part time grad studies Math(not completed...different direction)

2011/12 full time second degree Biology started 3.93

2012/13 presently first term 3.92 .... hopefully year 2 = 3.9ish

Extensive volunteer experience for the last 15 years including

Hospital work

Coaching

Leading Clubs/Groups/Charities/Music/tutoring etc. probably 9000+hrs total

No MCAT yet

I noticed some schools take solely second degree; some take 2 years; some take last 3 years (called Ottawa today and they will take last 3 including teachers college)

Please comment on schools you would target if any and any other general comments.

Thanks

But that is what I am doing...the second degree in Bio with the 3.9ish averages

...I started the second degree in 2011 as posted and they typically take 2 years

which this one will (and it is Hon. Biology)

So what do you think given this? or are you saying do another 2 years?

Lets say all I will have is the second degree including what I posted. What would you recommend?

Thanks again in advance

3rd year applicant

UWO

1st Year GPA - 4.00 (96% average)

2nd Year GPA - 3.98 (93% average)

3rd Year GPA - pending

MCAT 33R (12p-9v-12b)

Extracurriculars:

Hospital Volunteer, NSERC, Policy Chair at Political Club, Youth Councillor, Heart and Stroke volunteer

Looks solid for UofT and uOttawa