Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

Athabasca?

ah no no i finish school end of april and graduate in mayi asume. wonder if i can fit in a english class or delay my graduation for the summer to take english or something. even if i get into a mediocre american school, im willing to take out like 300k loan somewhere and study medicine.

Here's my info.

Any insight on my chances of getting accepted in any Ontario schools would be appreciated!

I'm currently completing my 4th year and will be applying this fall.

1st year: 3.89 (NOT a full course load)

2nd year: 3.82

3rd year: 3.93

4th year: 3.92

I'm 31 years old. I took stopped my studies after 3rd year due to some difficult personal circumstances and returned after several years to complete my degree.

MCAT: will be writing it this summer

Research: None

Extra-curriculars: Quite good

I can't apply to Ottawa because I don't have their Chemistry prereqs

I don't qualify for the U of T weighting formula because didn't have a full course load in first year

Here's my info.

Any insight on my chances of getting accepted in any Ontario schools would be appreciated!

I'm currently completing my 4th year and will be applying this fall.

1st year: 3.89 (NOT a full course load)

2nd year: 3.82

3rd year: 3.93

4th year: 3.92

I'm 31 years old. I took stopped my studies after 3rd year due to some difficult personal circumstances and returned after several years to complete my degree.

MCAT: will be writing it this summer

Research: None

Extra-curriculars: Quite good

I can't apply to Ottawa because I don't have their Chemistry prereqs

I don't qualify for the U of T weighting formula because didn't have a full course load in first year

What are you missing for Ottawa, biochem?

Mac - it all really depends on verbal and casper... if you get an 11+ on verbal and do decently on casper you should get an interview

Western - all depends on your MCAT - your marks should get you an interview with minimum MCAT scores.

Toronto - your GPA should be competitive enough for an interview if you write great essays

Queens - depends on MCAT again

thanks for the input.

i thought i had a competitive gpa, but i see so many med hopefuls around me who seem to have much higher gpa's and think it's the end of the world if you get an 80-85%.... so now i'm not so confident in my gpa.

yes, i'm missing biochem and an organic chem prereq, so can't apply to ottawa.

Hey everyone,

So this is my first time posting in a forum, I'd really appreciate any feedback on my profile, here it is:

Started at Concordia University in Cell and Molecular Biology

1st yr:3.4 GPA

2&3rd year: 3.7 GPA

Transferred to McGill in Anatomy & Cell Biology

after my first semester I have now a 3.47 GPA at McGill

mainly because I got extremely sick during finals, I know this semester is going to be a lot better

EC: Research for 1.5 yrs,2 TA position, council, Work

MCAT: planning on taking them this summer

I am really passionate about medicine and really want to get in. Please tell me what I should do to increase my chances at Canadian Med schools, I'd rather not go to the Carribeans.

Your chances aren't great, to be honest. If you qualify for weighting at some places like U of T, UMann, etc and it helps a lot, you could have a shot (along with a great MCAT) but it'll be an uphill battle.

Hi all,

I wasn't really successful this cycle (this is my second time applying).

My cGPA is 3.83. I am currently in fourth year. I think I can pull of a 3.9++ for my fourth year. I had four research assistant jobs, finished my thesis, several volunteering placements among others. I am a bit late because I decided I wanted to do medicine at the end of my second year. My mcat: P9,V9,B10. I also don't have any back up plans right now. I was thinking of working somewhere for a year but unsure.I will probably rewrite my MCAT again but I am unsure whether it would help.

I don't know what else is hindering me (other than my MCAT). I worked so hard all my life and I am extremely passionate about medicine. I am kind of losing hope.

Any advice/feedback would be appreciated!

Hi all,

I wasn't really successful this cycle (this is my second time applying).

My cGPA is 3.83. I am currently in fourth year. I think I can pull of a 3.9++ for my fourth year. I had four research assistant jobs, finished my thesis, several volunteering placements among others. I am a bit late because I decided I wanted to do medicine at the end of my second year. My mcat: P9,V9,B10. I also don't have any back up plans right now. I was thinking of working somewhere for a year but unsure.I will probably rewrite my MCAT again but I am unsure whether it would help.

I don't know what else is hindering me (other than my MCAT). I worked so hard all my life and I am extremely passionate about medicine. I am kind of losing hope.

Any advice/feedback would be appreciated!

You have lots of time, don't get discouraged. Your GPA should be competitive (especially if full-time). Your MCAT really is holding you back. I would definitely re-write. It's one thing to have a 9 in one section, but a 9 in two sections and overall <30 is usually a red flag.

Hey guys, I'm an extremely discouraged student that would like some answers and to know if I have any chance at med or should just something else.

GPA after 3rd year (expected) 3.85. (3.74, 3.82, 4.00)

Horrible ECs: One volunteer research position (3 months), also held a job for a year and a half. I had hospital volunteer experience near the end of high school.. can i count that? (i was 17 at the time).

MCAT: Writing this summer.

If I applied during the beginning of 4th year, would med schools use my 4th year GPA and any ECs I've obtained since applying in their decision? If not, is there any sense in me applying? I honestly feel like I've wasted so much time and it hurts me to the core even thinking about med schools now. If it means anything, I'm SURE i can get a 4.0 in 4th year.

Hey guys, I'm an extremely discouraged student that would like some answers and to know if I have any chance at med or should just something else.

GPA after 3rd year (expected) 3.85. (3.74, 3.82, 4.00)

Horrible ECs: One volunteer research position (3 months), also held a job for a year and a half. I had hospital volunteer experience near the end of high school.. can i count that? (i was 17 at the time).

MCAT: Writing this summer.

If I applied during the beginning of 4th year, would med schools use my 4th year GPA and any ECs I've obtained since applying in their decision? If not, is there any sense in me applying? I honestly feel like I've wasted so much time and it hurts me to the core even thinking about med schools now. If it means anything, I'm SURE i can get a 4.0 in 4th year.

Certainly have a chance. Your GPA isn't stellar, but definitely not going to hold you back at too many schools. The fact that it's improved over time is a bonus. Some schools will consider your 4th year and provide conditional acceptance (essentially saying you're in if you achieve a certain GPA in your last year), some won't - you'll have to check out the school you're interested in.

ECs will depend on the school as well. If they evaluate your ECs heavily pre-interview, then generally speaking, any 4th year ECs will not count at that point. During interviews, however, you can always bring up things you're currently doing if they're relevant to the question at hand. Your ECs aren't terrible by the way - maybe a bit sparse, but they seem reasonably well rounded and hit the major points (research, experience with patients, ability to work).

Write your MCATs and see how you do - that could restrict which schools you could reasonably expect to gain admissions, so it's good to know where you stand. Keep working on your GPA; higher would be better, but I don't think you're in bad standing there. Work on improving your ECs by doing things you would be interested in - regardless of your eventual career path, being involved (in anything) is beneficial both in terms of figuring out what you want and then getting it.

I see no definite reason why you couldn't gain admissions to Med School next year, so don't get down on yourself. As always though, nothing is guaranteed, so make sure you have a back-up you'd be happy with lined up, just in case.

Hey guys do I still have a chance?

Year 1. 7 courses- 2.0 GPA

Year 2. sem 1- 0 courses. sem 2- 4 couses- 2.7 GPA

Year 3. 3.8~ 10 courses

Year 4. After finals hopefully a 3.9~ 10 courses

Year 5. applying in fall

eligibility for drop year after year 5? I'm aiming for the 4.0

Year 1&2 I was going through a rough time with constant heath issues and family problems. Therefore I was allowed a late withdrawal for semester one in year 2. Do I still have a chance for med? I have an NSERC, publication, other research experience, EC's etc etc.

I was hoping to apply to University of Alberta or Calgary. I probably will apply to others also.

Hey guys do I still have a chance?

Year 1. 7 courses- 2.0 GPA

Year 2. sem 1- 0 courses. sem 2- 4 couses- 2.7 GPA

Year 3. 3.8~ 10 courses

Year 4. After finals hopefully a 3.9~ 10 courses

Year 5. applying in fall

eligibility for drop year after year 5? I'm aiming for the 4.0

Year 1&2 I was going through a rough time with constant heath issues and family problems. Therefore I was allowed a late withdrawal for semester one in year 2. Do I still have a chance for med? I have an NSERC, publication, other research experience, EC's etc etc.

I was hoping to apply to University of Alberta or Calgary. I probably will apply to others also.

Not sure about the west, but you could have a chance at U of T (mini-essay gives you a chance to explain your rough start), Queen's (weight last two years most) and Western (you have 2 good full-time years). U of Manitoba may be a possibility if you ace the MCAT (worth 75% of pre-interview score) and they have a rather generous weighting formula.

Long time lurker, finally signed up.

I know this has probably been done over and over, but I haven't had anyone help me (I've kept wanting to be a doctor to myself, fear of failure yadda yadda...) and I wouldn't mind a few pointers in the right direction.

GPA ~ 3.7, best two years ~3.78 (crappy first year)

MCAT Writing this september, did relatively bad my first time (29 P, 9 VR), aiming high though!

EC's : (This is where I need help) Two students clubs in undergrad, 4 years of hospital volunteering, random fundraisers, volunteering in a lab, MSc (and thus, TAing) (no pubs), shadowing my family doctor and his colleague for a week, planning to go abroad for a week to volunteer in a new setting...

no intramurals or things like that unfortunately :(

This has been my dream for a long time, and am willing to do what it takes;

I've applied several times and have never received an interview and it is disheartening.

*Side note: I am from Ontario but speak french fluently, so I have been applying to the Ottawa french stream, however they are not impressed by my EC's and I don't know what is considered "impressive"

Long time lurker, finally signed up.

I know this has probably been done over and over, but I haven't had anyone help me (I've kept wanting to be a doctor to myself, fear of failure yadda yadda...) and I wouldn't mind a few pointers in the right direction.

GPA ~ 3.7, best two years ~3.78 (crappy first year)

MCAT Writing this september, did relatively bad my first time (29 P, 9 VR), aiming high though!

EC's : (This is where I need help) Two students clubs in undergrad, 4 years of hospital volunteering, random fundraisers, volunteering in a lab, MSc (and thus, TAing) (no pubs), shadowing my family doctor and his colleague for a week, planning to go abroad for a week to volunteer in a new setting...

no intramurals or things like that unfortunately :(

This has been my dream for a long time, and am willing to do what it takes;

I've applied several times and have never received an interview and it is disheartening.

*Side note: I am from Ontario but speak french fluently, so I have been applying to the Ottawa french stream, however they are not impressed by my EC's and I don't know what is considered "impressive"

Ottawa just isn't impressed by your GPA, your ECs are fine for them if you have higher than 3.9, and for french stream a 3.8+ should get you an interview. Your GPA and MCAT are hurting you way more than your ECs could. Do whatever you can to improve that.

It's always tough to hear that the GPA is holding you back when you've graduated.Thanks for your input! I appreciate it.

Ottawa just isn't impressed by your GPA, your ECs are fine for them if you have higher than 3.9, and for french stream a 3.8+ should get you an interview. Your GPA and MCAT are hurting you way more than your ECs could. Do whatever you can to improve that.

It's always tough to hear that the GPA is holding you back when you've graduated.Thanks for your input! I appreciate it.

Souljaboy nailed it right on. It's the GPA that is preventing Ottawa from interviewing you. Your EC's look great. Where else have you applied?

I'm really glad you find that the ECs aren't substandard! I wouldn't have thought so. I applied to all the Ontario schools(except uoft) but for most of them my MCAT did not make cutoffs and northern obviously wasn't interested (not rural). Ottawa just said that although I made cutoffs they didn't find my ECs very interesting but you're right, it was probably the GPA.

I didn't apply to UofT because I thought I didn't stand a chance with my GPA but now that I'm able to apply as a Grad student I suppose ill give it a shot.

Would Queens and Western be somewhat more lenient if I significantly improved my MCAT?

Souljaboy nailed it right on. It's the GPA that is preventing Ottawa from interviewing you. Your EC's look great. Where else have you applied?

Definitely improve the MCAT - I think just to be safe, you're aiming for a balanced 33 (11/11/11) because there won't be any writing. Why the 11's? Because I am not sure what the schools will be "pulling up" to compensate for the lack of the WS section - especially Queens, which traditionally has been an R and Western needed to pull up their WS as well this cycle to cut more applicants.

You don't need a crazy score, the most effective one is a balanced one especially VR. I feel that the best score is the score that meets the most cutoffs, and with the exclusion of WS you'll need higher scores in each section just to be safe.

PS: I love your avatar from Darker than Black - July and November are some of favourite characters!

Thank you and thank you!

I appreciate you taking the time to reply. A 33 seems doable and I'm very determined seeing as it is one of my last chances to make an impression. I'm assuming this means I do have some sort of chance with that kind of score? Or is it more of a long shot? I'd be lying if I said I hadn't thought a 3.7 was "okay enough." But I'm really glad I can appropriately assess my competitiveness.

Definitely improve the MCAT - I think just to be safe, you're aiming for a balanced 33 (11/11/11) because there won't be any writing. Why the 11's? Because I am not sure what the schools will be "pulling up" to compensate for the lack of the WS section - especially Queens, which traditionally has been an R and Western needed to pull up their WS as well this cycle to cut more applicants.

You don't need a crazy score, the most effective one is a balanced one especially VR. I feel that the best score is the score that meets the most cutoffs, and with the exclusion of WS you'll need higher scores in each section just to be safe.

PS: I love your avatar from Darker than Black - July and November are some of favourite characters!

Will be extremely disappointed if Queens pulls VR to 11 next year.

Thank you and thank you!

I appreciate you taking the time to reply. A 33 seems doable and I'm very determined seeing as it is one of my last chances to make an impression. I'm assuming this means I do have some sort of chance with that kind of score? Or is it more of a long shot? I'd be lying if I said I hadn't thought a 3.7 was "okay enough." But I'm really glad I can appropriately assess my competitiveness.

I honestly don't know if 3.7 is enough/not enough. I think it depends on a combination of your MCAT if it can affect the pre-interview score and your ECs (or at least how they interpret it).

If you're concerned about your 3.7 GPA, then the only way to really "pull it up" is to apply to schools that care about higher MCAT scores. For instance, Mac and Calg do care about VR, which is the section I highly, highly stress to everyone who I do talk to about this stuff (obviously normal people have better things to talk about T_T) and you need an 11 or higher. But for schools like U of T who only use it as a cutoff, then having a high score doesn't have any marginal benefit.

My take on ECs is that it depends more on how you present them in the format the school wants (ex. U of T essay, CASPer, OMSAS ABS). Out of the trifecta that is GPA, MCAT, and ECs, I honestly don't know if there are particular ways to get up points or "pull up" a weaker GPA by doing particular activities, wording it in a certain way, etc. Everyone's experiences are different and it again, depends more on how you word it so that it reflects some semblance that you have particular qualities that they are looking for (ex. CanMEDS).

I don't know if it will "give you a chance" to return to the question...I think it's more about doing as much as you can in the things that are in your control. If you can't change your GPA, then you can optimize your chances in MCAT or something like that - depends on the schools you apply to.

Will be extremely disappointed if Queens pulls VR to 11 next year.

I'm sure that many applicants will share that sentiment...but my guess is that they have to pull up something, and VR is what the schools are using these days. Maybe they'll follow suit?

Again, thank you for your insight. And...

(obviously normal people have better things to talk about T_T) Lol!

Hey no problem at all. If you have questions just PM me - I applied to all ONT and Calg, and got interviews 6/7 schools so I believe now I am...slightly...qualified to talk about applicant stuff. Just trying to help out before acceptances/rejections come out on May 14th T_T

Congratulations!

And I accept your offer to be my personal advisor ;)

-Overly attached medforum member

Hey no problem at all. If you have questions just PM me - I applied to all ONT and Calg, and got interviews 6/7 schools so I believe now I am...slightly...qualified to talk about applicant stuff. Just trying to help out before acceptances/rejections come out on May 14th T_T