Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

The ECs that are important are the ones you enjoy and will be able to get some experience out of (whether related to medicine or not, though having at least a little clinical exposure is nice).

As for music, it may actually help. Med schools love breadth - especially during interviews. Don't choose your majors/minors/whatever based on what you perceive med schools want. Take what you want and will do well in (these are usually the same thing) and you'll be fine. One of the most common degrees of new med students in a physics degree - nothing to do with medicine (for the most part). If you enjoy music then go for it!

Thanks a lot. For taking my MCAT's what year would you recommend it?

Thanks a lot. For taking my MCAT's what year would you recommend it?

Whenever you feel comfortable. Many people suggest taking it after 2nd or 3rd year when the material is still fresh. Though the downside of taking it 'early' is that if you don't get in the first time (very common) then you may have to retake it later if too much time passes (5 years mostly, but 3 for some I think).

I took mine after my MSc since I didn't decide to pursue med school until during my MSc. If you want to apply firstly during fourth year, then perhaps best to take it during the summer after 3rd year (maybe shoot for spring so you can re-write it in August or so if need be). But if you feel prepared and have the time after second year, go for it.

Whenever you feel comfortable. Many people suggest taking it after 2nd or 3rd year when the material is still fresh. Though the downside of taking it 'early' is that if you don't get in the first time (very common) then you may have to retake it later if too much time passes (5 years mostly, but 3 for some I think).

I took mine after my MSc since I didn't decide to pursue med school until during my MSc. If you want to apply firstly during fourth year, then perhaps best to take it during the summer after 3rd year (maybe shoot for spring so you can re-write it in August or so if need be). But if you feel prepared and have the time after second year, go for it.

Okay, thanks.

Do they look at your MSc. Marks or just your undergrad when applying to med school?

Okay, thanks.

Do they look at your MSc. Marks or just your undergrad when applying to med school?

The vast majority don't look at graduate marks. However, it can still help at some schools because you will (should) have a lot of research productivity and experience to show for your graduate work. In other words, it adds in a subjective manner, not quantitatively at most schools (though some give small boosts to GPA like 0.01 for MSc, 0.04 for PhD whereas others may have lower GPA cutoffs to apply for graduate students or you apply as part of a 'graduate pool' like U of T).

The vast majority don't look at graduate marks. However, it can still help at some schools because you will (should) have a lot of research productivity and experience to show for your graduate work. In other words, it adds in a subjective manner, not quantitatively at most schools (though some give small boosts to GPA like 0.01 for MSc, 0.04 for PhD whereas others may have lower GPA cutoffs to apply for graduate students or you apply as part of a 'graduate pool' like U of T).

What do you mean by 'graduate pool' ?

What do you mean by 'graduate pool' ?

I mean at U of T if you apply as a graduate student, you are assessed against other graduate students in a separate group of applicants from the undergraduate applicants. You also need to submit a supplementary 'graduate application package' to U of T directly with up to 3 more reference letters and a full CV extolling your research experience and productivity.

I mean at U of T if you apply as a graduate student, you are assessed against other graduate students in a separate group of applicants from the undergraduate applicants. You also need to submit a supplementary 'graduate application package' to U of T directly with up to 3 more reference letters and a full CV extolling your research experience and productivity.

Do you think it would make a difference if I applied after 4th year (with my bad 1st year) or do MSc. then apply?

Do you think it would make a difference if I applied after 4th year (with my bad 1st year) or do MSc. then apply?

Only do an MSc if it is something you are interested in. If you really want medicine, apply as early as you can - even if you don't get in, it's good practice! If you do really well on your next two years and get a decent MCAT, you would have a good shot at getting interviews at at least Queen's and Western (U of T depending on how much your weighting formula helps - 1 full course dropped for each year of UG assuming you always tkae full-time studies.)

Only do an MSc if it is something you are interested in. If you really want medicine, apply as early as you can - even if you don't get in, it's good practice! If you do really well on your next two years and get a decent MCAT, you would have a good shot at getting interviews at at least Queen's and Western (U of T depending on how much your weighting formula helps - 1 full course dropped for each year of UG assuming you always tkae full-time studies.)

Thank you so much for your help!! Congratulations, and good luck in school.

so here goes...I've been a long-time creeper, and obv need to work on actually seeking advice.

I just completed my third year at Mac (IP student), and want to know where I should proceed from here.

GPA:

Y1 - 2.64

Y2 - 3.31

Y3 - 3.01

MCAT: I'm about to write the MCAT this summer.

EC's: Exec on student clubs, volunteered in research labs, hospital volunteering for a year, various intramural leagues and tutoring.

Plan: to do well in fourth year, hopefully drastically better...need to change study habits/lifestyle QUITE DRASTICALLY to get there.

And then hopefully apply to queens & western.

With a decent enough mcat score - do I stand a chance?

i.e. applying after fourth year, and during my fifth year?

What about australian & US schools? Is it worth applying (even this fall?)

I'm not looking into Caribbean schools (please don't demotivate me further:( )

any advice would be appreciated!

so here goes...I've been a long-time creeper, and obv need to work on actually seeking advice.

I just completed my third year at Mac (IP student), and want to know where I should proceed from here.

GPA:

Y1 - 2.64

Y2 - 3.31

Y3 - 3.01

EC's: Exec on student clubs, volunteered in research labs, hospital volunteering for a year, various intramural leagues and tutoring.

Plan: to do well in fourth year, hopefully drastically better...need to change study habits/lifestyle QUITE DRASTICALLY to get there.

If you were to have an absolutely killer (3.8+) fourth and fifth years, you could apply after completing them to Queen's and Western. You need two good years under your belt for a shot at them. MCAT won't make up for a poor GPA. As it stands, you won't meet cut offs to apply to Western and Queen's next year.

I can't speak to Aus or US schools.

GPA:

Y1 - 2.64

Y2 - 3.31

Y3 - 3.01

Definitely need two solid full-time (5 classes/semester with 60% of the courses in the year you're in) of 3.8+ GPA. MCAT would also need to be at least 11/11/11 to qualify for Queens and Western.

With Western, it's a little easier to say yes you'll definitely get an interview with GPA and MCAT cut-offs met, but as Queens is more holistic these days, it's a lot harder to guess.

For most US schools, I don't think you'd have much of a shot. Maybe in lower-mid tier schools or with the DO program where GPA cut-offs are lower. Also, I don't know what your degree is in but the American schools typically have quite a lot of prerequisites. They also usually calculate a science/prereq GPA and overall GPA for some schools so that's something to take into consideration.

You need to extend your degree to a 5th year, have a stellar GPA in both 4th & 5th years and to do this, you need to self-reflect, go to counselling and figure out what you are doing wrong. Perhaps you should take a break, go to work, mature and come back to university with a new attitude and a strong work ethic. If you carry on as you have been, med school will remain beyond your grasp.

I am a newbie here thus my name.

Hoping some people can comment on my chances:

I did hospital work + co-op placement (Coronary care) when I was in high school. I fell ill, difficult diagnosis, so had to quit at the hospital and focus on finishing school year (gr.11), went through surgery in the summer, recovered, and finished gr. 12.

1st year gpa: 3.3

2nd year gpa: 3.93

3rd year gpa: 3.83 *less than full course-load (5FCEs) as considered by UofT, so I won't be able to get help from dropping 1FCE/yr*

4th year gpa: 3.81

cGPA: 3.71 :( OMSAS, four-year

no research awards. no pubs.

a couple of college awards for annual %avg

MCAT: writing this summer.

haven't done hospital/clinic stuff since. *Not on purpose.* just wanted to broaden some other interests I guess. Went back into shadowing a cardiac surgeon as part of a course requirement in an UG course and gained a renewed sense for going into medicine.

I have done work with youth in high-risk neighbourhood areas, tutoring and mentoring for >3.5 years. I didn't really like clubs at uni, so I didn't do much of that. other than a semester here or there (nothing med related: choir, and cooking)

I have done volunteer research (summer student - small project), lab assistant clinical based (with rats) (~10mths), and also done a thesis project (4th yr).

I am hoping to work in a peds ward later this summer once I get references and immuniz. forms figured out. My aim is to be a paediatrician, which is why I tried to gain experience working with very young (3-4yr olds) to older kids.

This is kind of a gap year I guess for me. I am trying to do job hunting and MCAT studying and managing a PT job I have now.

The above's my lame story. I don't think I have the means to apply out of Ontario, so, excluding NOSM (since no Northern qualifier), any advice on what my chances are, and which schools I may have a shot at applying in Ontario?

Maybe you guys missed this post (sorry it's long). I'd really appreciate some advice on my situation.:o

Hi everyone

I just wanted to know how is my chance for getting an interview in U of O.

cGPA=3.97

wGPA=3.98

ECs: NSERC,one summer of research,VP finance and VP events of a university club,Volunteered in a clinic for 15 days in Qatar in my first year of undergrad,Volunteered for 3 months in my grade 12 in a day care clinic in Qatar,one university scholarship(10000$),ranked first in biology and sience competition in my grade 12

thanks in advance

Hi everyone

cGPA=3.97

wGPA=3.98

ECs: NSERC,one summer of research,VP finance and VP events of a university club,Volunteered in a clinic for 15 days in Qatar in my first year of undergrad,Volunteered for 3 months in my grade 12 in a day care clinic in Qatar,one university scholarship(10000$),ranked first in biology and sience competition in my grade 12

thanks in advance

You're kidding right? You will almost assuredly get an interview...

Hi everyone

cGPA=3.97

wGPA=3.98

thanks in advance

mhm gotta love that ego stroking dont you boy

You kidding? There are no guarantees, I know someone with 3.97 GPA and no interview! Better ECs too. You need the entire package and to express yourself well in a manner they like.

Yes, but the 'almost assuredly' still stands...the majority of people with those stats will get an interview at UofO. Never any guarantees, of course, but that goes without saying.