Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

Hi everyone,

Im a premed currently complete my 2nd year.

I am averaging around 3.70 GPA.

ECS:

Before entry to Uni, I was part of Royal Canadian Air Cadets

Got a Pilot License, and was a leader of a group of 30-60 youths.

Hospital Volunteer (2 Summers)

Cardiac Center (2 Summers)

Im planning to write the MCAT this summer.

I know this does not seem really impressive. In your opinion, what would I need to make my admission chances better?

Background im planning to take in the next fall is

Molecular Biology

Functional Histology

Fundementals of Biochemistry with Lab

Ethics Course

Introduction to Spectroscopy

Does this seem to difficult to achieve a good GPA?

Your pilot license does impress me and shows dedication, perseverance, practice and expertise, all required traits of physicians.

I cannot comment on the course selection. I was a medicore student and turned over a new leaf becoming a straight A student with a strong work ethic, excellent time & stress management skills and studying smart for me. You want to ramp up your 3.7 to a 3.8+. Self-reflect to determine what is holding you back, e.g., are there distractions, competing interests for your time, are you studying smart, etc. Go and see Counselling at your university for advice or tips how to improve studying and your grades.

I am looking into reapplying to medical school next year. I am graduating this year and am IP in Alberta.

Stats: Y1: 2.7 (under 28 credits), full courseload: Y2: 3.6ish, Y3: 3.88, Y4: 3.9 (possibly 3.95 depending on an upcoming exam) with an MCAT of 34 (VR 11). Which schools should I consider applying to this coming cycle (am open to any school in Canada).

Thanks. :)

Thank you :). Is there any point in applying to U of T without a full-courseload in one year/do they ever apply weighting formulas to applicants without a full-courseload if an explanation is sent that discusses why that year is not indicative of a student's capabilities?

I doubt you will get the weighting formula, but you're not in a horrible position at all.

If you satisfied the 3/5 rule (in 3rd and 4th year) and your MCAT meets the cutoff, you should get an interview at Western. Your 11 in VR meets the cutoff, and I assume the rest of the test should be fine as well (9PS, 10BS). The cutoff might change next year, but it's impossible to predict.

You're good for Queen's because your 2 most recent years are competitive, and I assume your MCAT will be above their cutoff as well.

Hi guys! I'm in my last semester of undergrad (a B.A.) and planning to take prerequisites as a fifth year in the fall so I can apply to med school.

This year, my grades dropped a little bit.

I had a 3.77 OMSAS cumulative average at the end of last year. I know this sound silly - but if I go down to a 3.76 OMSAS and CLEARLY have more Bs on my transcript than in previous years, will med school admissions offices frown upon this?

Basically: If my grades appear to slip in my 4th year without affecting my cumulative GPA in any major way, should I still take a year of sciences and apply to medical school, or come up with a different plan. Med school is the ultimate goal - I just want to make sure my plan is still feasible.

Thanks.

OMSAS conversion

1st year GPA: 3.11

2nd year: 3.81

3rd year: 3.94

UofT formula: 3.76

*Full course load all years, live in toronto, writing MCAT this summer, no research experience or clinical volunteering....ECs are fairly low, but I have great relationships with my profs,which would be happy to help me with LOR. If I do good or bad on the MCAT what are my chances for applying this upcoming cycle?

OMSAS conversion

1st year GPA: 3.11

2nd year: 3.81

3rd year: 3.94

UofT formula: 3.76

*Full course load all years, live in toronto, writing MCAT this summer, no research experience or clinical volunteering....ECs are fairly low, but I have great relationships with my profs,which would be happy to help me with LOR. If I do good or bad on the MCAT what are my chances for applying this upcoming cycle?

Not a great chance for U of T, but if your MCAT is decent I would apply broadly (especially Queen's and Western who will take your last two years in your case).

Can't hurt to apply!

Hello everyone,

So I have finally taken the plunge into the dark side after lurking for quite some time. Here are the deeds (full time course load each year [i.e. 5 courses/semester], along with the '3/5 upper year level' requirement):

OMSAS GPA

1st Year: 3.33

2nd Year: 3.90

3rd Year: 3.66

4th Year: 3.37

5th Year: 3.90

cGPA: 3.63

wGPA (UofT): 3.84

MCAT: Writing this summer without working (did bad the last time because of lack of preparation), but would like feedback assuming I meet the minimum requirements for most of the schools.

ECs: Working towards RCM Grade 10 piano certification (Currently in grade 7), Research work ~ 3 years, Community volunteering in a high risk neighborhood (about 7 years), some clubs at school, etc.

------------------------------------------

Any kind of feedback would be appreciated and would greatly give me a sense of direction as to what I should pursue as a career path. Thanks.

Ontario Student.

Just finished 2nd year.

CGPA = 3.76 (All A's and no B's, but one full year course with C+ ruined it all, yikes! :( )

EC: Volunteering at local hospital since September 2012

Research: Just started with a Professor

Awards: Some notable ones

Just started studying for MCAT scheduled for August

Planning to applying med schools in September, 2013

At this time, I am thinking of UT, Mac, Queens, and Calgary.

I know I might not be competitive for Ottawa.

Do you have any suggestions for me, please?

Thank you in advance! :)

Really messed up first year (GPA ~ 3.16) but second and third years have been good (3.78 and 3.96). It looks so bad I think when you factor in first year but the rising trend should be a plus (do they even see this)?

MCAT: 27R (9/9/9) - rewriting this August for hopefully a 30+.

ECs:

- more than 400 hours of hospital volunteering (General Internal Medicine, Endoscopy Clinic, Hospital Elderly Life Program)

- VP fundraiser and treasurer of a school club, general member at others

- 160 international volunteer hours (worked at a shelter for elderly/homeless)

- finished all 10 grades of RCM piano, along with various 1st place awards at major competitions (Kiwanis, Davenport)

- finished all 5 grades of music theory

- play soccer and swim in my free time

I am a H. Bio undergrad with a minor in psych. Doubt this really matters. Any ideas on where to apply?

For now, thinking of just UofT, Mac, Western (given the 11 in verbal this summer), and Queens. I only have half a year of orgo, physics and english, which limits me currently from applying to Ottawa, out west or the States.

Suggestions?

Year 1: 3.89

Year 2: 4.00

CGPA: 3.945

MCAT: End of summer.

ECs: Above average

Target schools: All

How do Dalhousie and Ottawa look?

Awesome bud. Yea I would go for Ottawa, Dal..just get your MCAT above 34 and you're probably set..(if you can keep getting high 4.0's..unless you're a maritimer).

Ontario Student.

Just finished 2nd year.

CGPA = 3.76 (All A's and no B's, but one full year course with C+ ruined it all, yikes! :( )

Could you break down your cGPA into two individual years?

Don't get your hopes up for UofT, they don't often offer interviews to 3rd years. You can also apply for Western if you do well in your 3rd year. McMaster also looks well, so does Queen's. Calgary, only if you get a cGPA of 3.80 and have a VR of 11, otherwise you won't get a full file review.

Study hard for the MCAT. Try your best to score 9/11/10 (PS/VR/BS) at the very least if you plan on applying to the aforementioned schools

Ontario Student.

Just finished 2nd year.

You have essentially no chance at UT with your stats. Most likely very little chance at Queens either. the other two depends on your VR but your GPA is pretty low as a 3rd year. Zero chance at Ottawa, Western doesn't take 3rd year applicants. I wouldn't suggest applying 3rd year with those stats, basically throwing money away. You gotta bring the GPA up, and if that's the extend of your ECs then you really have to work on that.