Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

Do you think I have a chance next year at western (if i can get a solid 3.8+ in my fourth year)?

i.e. as a conditional offer (with a decent enough gpa??)

...I'm looking into science gpa for US schools

For Western you also need to break the MCAT cut-offs which is 11VR, 10BS and 9PS. That 11VR is not easy to get!

They will give you an interview with MCAT cut-offs met and GPA cut-offs met. But that is far from as easy as it sounds.

Also, I forgot to mention this before, but I'd forget about Caribbean. You can't practice medicine in Canada without completing a residency in Canada. The number of spots for IMGs (international medical graduates, like those from the Caribbean) is very low. Last year, 1818 IMGs applied for residency spots to Canada. There was 259 seats available with 127 of those in family medicine, so the odds are NOT GOOD! Even if you want to go to the US after med school, residency spots are very easy to come by. As well, the Visa requirements for a non-US citizen can make salary and finding lasting employment more difficult.

Your best bet is to do 2 more yrs of undergrad. It will take longer than going international but will be more lucrative in the long run.

Yes, but the 'almost assuredly' still stands...the majority of people with those stats will get an interview at UofO. Never any guarantees, of course, but that goes without saying.

Getting an interview and getting IN are also two different things. GPA and ECs like that may get this candidate an interview (it really depends on who's assessing the application and what the competition is like) but after the interview, more factors come into play.

Getting an interview and getting IN are also two different things. GPA and ECs like that may get this candidate an interview (it really depends on who's assessing the application and what the competition is like) but after the interview, more factors come into play.

Of course, where did I say anything about getting in? He/she asked about interview, and with those stats, they have a great chance of getting one.

Of course, where did I say anything about getting in? He/she asked about interview, and with those stats, they have a great chance of getting one.

No you didn't say anything. Just pointing it out so OP doesn't take "almost guaranteed" interview as "almost guaranteed" acceptance!

Obviously a lot depends on your MCAT and ECs, but if you do well on the MCAT you should at least get an interview for Western, provided you meet the full-time and course requirements.

If it makes you feel any more confident my GPAs were 3.94, 3.38, 3.53, 3.87, and I got interviews for both Mac and Western (MCAT 12,11,14) and got a first round acceptance to Western!

I also know Queen's looks at your last 2 years first, which are your strongest years.

I think you should go for it!

Thank you for your encouragement.

My EC's are quite average and I don't have a lot, if any, awards/achievements/scholarships under my belt.. except maybe an entrance scholarship.

Obviously a lot depends on your MCAT and ECs, but if you do well on the MCAT you should at least get an interview for Western, provided you meet the full-time and course requirements.

If it makes you feel any more confident my GPAs were 3.94, 3.38, 3.53, 3.87, and I got interviews for both Mac and Western (MCAT 12,11,14) and got a first round acceptance to Western!

I also know Queen's looks at your last 2 years first, which are your strongest years.

I think you should go for it!

All right guys, my first year of uni ended in April. Some of the ECs I did were:

-Wrote an article on viral replication which was published in a magazine

-Joined student health council + elected as an executive the same year

-Organized charity drives

-Did some volunteering at a hospital (I had to resign due to personal issues)

Are my ECs looking strong for my first year?

All right guys, my first year of uni ended in April. Some of the ECs I did were:

-Wrote an article on viral replication which was published in a magazine

-Joined student health council + elected as an executive the same year

-Organized charity drives

-Did some volunteering at a hospital (I had to resign due to personal issues)

Are my ECs looking strong for my first year?

Yup, keep it up. Try to have some longitudinal ones that you keep up for a while. Make these ones that you really enjoy.

Also, get a hobby or something else unrelated to academics or 'ECs' to make you stand out!

Yup, keep it up. Try to have some longitudinal ones that you keep up for a while. Make these ones that you really enjoy.

Also, get a hobby or something else unrelated to academics or 'ECs' to make you stand out!

I know what hobby means, but how would that relate when it comes to application time? Can I list hobbies on there?

I love reading and computers (I've built many computers; I hope that counts). Is that what you mean?

I know what hobby means, but how would that relate when it comes to application time? Can I list hobbies on there?

I love reading and computers (I've built many computers; I hope that counts). Is that what you mean?

Yeah, just something else that makes you more of a 'regular' person rather than a person who doesn't do anything unless it will help for med school apps. You can put this on your OMSAS app if you have room and you feel it says something about yourself. Also good to talk about personal things like that for interviews.

I just got my mcat scores back today... 11/10/11 = PS/VR/BS

My gpa year 1-4 = 3.72, 3.78, 3.83, 3.83

I feel like I'm at a very awkward position... with just average (or below) scores =S

what are my chances please be brutally honest!

Queen's seems like a good choice. UofT is ok if you're eligible for the weighting formula.

Which province are you in?

Queen's seems like a good choice. UofT is ok if you're eligible for the weighting formula.

Which province are you in?

Ontario,

3.84 with the u of t weighting...

should i rewrite mcat? was hoping for an 11 in vr... but i jeopardize my 10 if i rewrite... not sure what to do >_<

What do you mean by this?

Context score

Basically you'll get a high context score if you're from (or have lived for many years) in a rural northern area of Ontario, or anywhere in Canada as well. Somebody more familiar with NOSM could help you more, because honestly I'm not too sure how to improve the context score.