Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

Hey guys, like many others I've been a long time lurker and figured I'd get some advice. Currently finishing up my 5th year (couldn't apply this cycle due to family related issues).

1st year: 3.3

2nd year: 3.0

3rd year: 3.65

4th year: 4.0 (3.95 OMSAS)

5th year: 4.0 (3.95 OMSAS)

MCAT: 32P (12 P/10 V/10 B) I keep getting told that my score is good for a first try, but should retake it if I really want to get in. I might do that this summer, but I've been feeling burnt out this past school year...

ECs:

-BJJ for almost 2 years (injury stopped me), starting it again this summer

-Founder/President of a student organization (I was VP the next year)

-Volunteering at local hospital (200 hours)

-Volunteering as a tutor at high school (need to speak to teacher for hour estimate - 100 hours+)

-Research student for 2 summers and 2 year long independent project courses (no publications as of yet, 1 potentially in the works)

-Won 3rd place in an undergraduate research competition

-Ciscso basic programming certification (got it the summer after high school, but haven't done anything since, so I lost certification - should I even include it?)

-Write poetry, currently working with an editor to try and make a mini-collection to sell online for 0.99c and donate funds to charity

-Student union orientation leader for frosh week

-Ballroom dance for a year

-Tango, Salsa, Merengue for a year

-Member and contributor to a student run forum

-Volunteered as a scrutineer for the conservative party of Canada for 2 election cycles

-High school things (chemistry club, weightlifting club)

-I have been swimming for 10 years now (no formal lessons or anything so no verifier :(), work out consistently (again no verifier other than friends) and am an avid reader.

I'm hoping that I meet the minimum cut offs in most schools (mid 3.6 cGPA) and I can at least get my foot in the door. Realistically I know my chances are only good in schools like Western/Queens/McMaster/Ottawa. And now Western bumped up the VR cut off so that leaves me with 3. I'm an Ontario native by the way. I figure my next best bet is retake the MCAT without the written section and considering my undergrad was in the biological sciences I should have done a lot better in those...

Hey guys, like many others I've been a long time lurker and figured I'd get some advice. Currently finishing up my 5th year (couldn't apply this cycle due to family related issues).

MCAT: 32P (12 P/10 V/10 B) I keep getting told that my score is good for a first try, but should retake it if I really want to get in. I might do that this summer, but I've been feeling burnt out this past school year...

ECs:

-Volunteering as a tutor at high school (need to speak to teacher for hour estimate - 100 hours+)

-Research student for 2 summers and 2 year long independent project courses (no publications as of yet, 1 potentially in the works)

-Ciscso basic programming certification (got it the summer after high school, but haven't done anything since, so I lost certification - should I even include it?)

-Write poetry, currently working with an editor to try and make a mini-collection to sell online for 0.99c and donate funds to charity

-Volunteered as a scrutineer for the conservative party of Canada for 2 election cycles

-I have been swimming for 10 years now (no formal lessons or anything so no verifier :(), work out consistently (again no verifier other than friends) and am an avid reader.

I'm hoping that I meet the minimum cut offs in most schools (mid 3.6 cGPA) and I can at least get my foot in the door. Realistically I know my chances are only good in schools like Western/Queens/McMaster/Ottawa. And now Western bumped up the VR cut off so that leaves me with 3. I'm an Ontario native by the way. I figure my next best bet is retake the MCAT without the written section and considering my undergrad was in the biological sciences I should have done a lot better in those...

Your wGPA for Ottawa is 3.90, so that's probably your best bet. Your ECs are very good, so I think that you'd have a good chance of getting an interview.

Your cGPA and VR are a bit low for Mac, but it's definitely worth a shot.

You wouldn't have made the MCAT cutoff for Queen's this year, but without WS you'll probably be fine. It's hard to predict though, but I would apply if I were you.

Lastly, do you qualify for the wGPA at UofT?

ECs:

This seems a bit forced, almost as if you are pushing the envelope a bit too much. The purpose of volunteering and being a good person is just that, to be a good person. It only adds to your resume.

Personally I wouldn't include the "donate to charity" bit. That seems silly.

Ottawa U, you don't need the MCAT only a high GPA. Which actually really upsets me as Ottawa seems to be the only region where they don't help their own residents get into school. For this..I am probably going to be moving out of Ottawa to Nova Scotia and going to Dalhousie.

If you managed a high GPA, well you would have quite a few schools to choose from. Either way, just be thankful if any school allows you to get such an incredible education (even if it is wallet draining).

Good luck!

Cheers.

This seems a bit forced, almost as if you are pushing the envelope a bit too much. The purpose of volunteering and being a good person is just that, to be a good person. It only adds to your resume.

How can you tell if volunteering is "forced" or not by simply reading a short and brief list? You know nothing about this person.

Ottawa U, you don't need the MCAT only a high GPA. Which actually really upsets me as Ottawa seems to be the only region where they don't help their own residents get into school. For this..I am probably going to be moving out of Ottawa to Nova Scotia and going to Dalhousie.

Ottawa has a lower GPA cutoff for Ottawa residents.

Cheers.

Ottawa only region where they don't help their residents get into school? That statement is just so wrong in so many ways.

I'm currently enrolled in a Bachelor of Science with a declared double-major and double-minor. Although each major/minor has their own official title, I've tailored all of my courses to focus on the field of biomedical technology. I always intended to apply to MD programs after my degree, but I've also developed a very strong interest in pursuing graduate school as well.

As is stands right now, I wouldn't be able to apply to Medical School until after I completed my degree. Here is a summary as of to why:

First year - 2.66 (21 credits)

Second year - 1.32 (24 credits)

Third year - 2.4 (24 credits)

Four year - 2.1 (21 credits)

Fifth year - 4.0 (30 credits)

*I originally had to take six years, since I had 20 extra courses due to my two minors.

My first four years are atrocious due to the number of F's I received being hospitalized through finals. I, of course, applied for medical withdrawals, but due to the nature of my hospitalizations, I decided attaching those documents to my transcript would be more detrimental than a low GPA. Since I opted not to include medical information in my file, I expect to be treated like any other applicant who got a low GPA in undergraduate, and I hope to overcome that by applying to the right schools and doing well in my final years.

The cross-road I'm at now is that I could start a MSc/PhD right out of undergraduate, but I likely won't be competitive for MD programs, with the exception of Queen's if I continue to have have a high GPA in my sixth/final year. By the way, my MCAT was a 38T (it's less than a year old), BS 12 - PS 13 - VR 13.

I guess my question is should I apply solely to Queen's after my degree, and then if I'm not accepted start worrying about how I'm going to repair my GPA? I'm currently an Alberta resident, so I believe I could also apply to the UofC and meet their GPA cut-off. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I unfortunately got myself into quite an ugly GPA situation.

I'm currently enrolled in a Bachelor of Science with a declared double-major and double-minor. Although each major/minor has their own official title, I've tailored all of my courses to focus on the field of biomedical technology. I always intended to apply to MD programs after my degree, but I've also developed a very strong interest in pursuing graduate school as well.

As is stands right now, I wouldn't be able to apply to Medical School until after I completed my degree. Here is a summary as of to why:

*I originally had to take six years, since I had 20 extra courses due to my two minors.

My first four years are atrocious due to the number of F's I received being hospitalized through finals. I, of course, applied for medical withdrawals, but due to the nature of my hospitalizations, I decided attaching those documents to my transcript would be more detrimental than a low GPA. Since I opted not to include medical information in my file, I expect to be treated like any other applicant who got a low GPA in undergraduate, and I hope to overcome that by applying to the right schools and doing well in my final years.

The cross-road I'm at now is that I could start a MSc/PhD right out of undergraduate, but I likely won't be competitive for MD programs, with the exception of Queen's if I continue to have have a high GPA in my sixth/final year. By the way, my MCAT was a 38T (it's less than a year old), BS 12 - PS 13 - VR 13.

I guess my question is should I apply solely to Queen's after my degree, and then if I'm not accepted start worrying about how I'm going to repair my GPA? I'm currently an Alberta resident, so I believe I could also apply to the UofC and meet their GPA cut-off. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I unfortunately got myself into quite an ugly GPA situation.

Western is out

UofT is out (not enough full load years)

McMaster is out

Take an extra year of 30 credits (and get another 4.0), you should be gold for Queen's and UofC.

Western is out

UofT is out (not enough full load years)

McMaster is out

Take an extra year of 30 credits (and get another 4.0), you should be gold for Queen's and UofC.

Thank you for replying trojjanhorse. :)

If you're referring to completing a sixth year with a 4.0 GPA/30 credits, then yes, I will be completing an extra year with that goal in mind.

I'd say go for that Msc/PhD especially since you're interested in it. The way your GPA you only have 2 or 3 schools to apply to and the chances for a school like Queen's is pretty low since they only have 100 spots. Might not be worth the time for you. You'll only be able to apply to Queen's and Western after 6 years, probably not worth the risk.

I'd say go for that Msc/PhD especially since you're interested in it. The way your GPA you only have 2 or 3 schools to apply to and the chances for a school like Queen's is pretty low since they only have 100 spots. Might not be worth the time for you. You'll only be able to apply to Queen's and Western after 6 years, probably not worth the risk.

Unfortunately, my reason for wanting to pursue graduate school is so that I can apply it to clinical medicine. I wouldn't want to work solely as a biomedical engineer, for example, I'd want to work as a physician/surgeon and then research new biomedical technologies that apply to the patient populations I'd be working with. I guess I'm trying to say that I'm either going to pursue an MD/MSc/PhD (in its entirety) or I'll pick an entirely different field in health care. Patient interaction is more important to me than research, if I had to choose.

@ fear

IMO you should do a master's. Queen's gives every grad student a file review. You would only be competitive if queens looked at your 6th year. which means post under grad

also Western is out as they only let you take 1 special year. I don't think your allowed to do 6 years and still be considered.

also Western is out as they only let you take 1 special year. I don't think your allowed to do 6 years and still be considered.

Depends if he took the extra years before graduating or not. It only counts as a special year if you haven't graduated.

EDIT: As long as you haven't graduated all of your years will count (you're only allowed to take 1 post-degree year). If you haven't graduated and you meet course load/GPA requirements in your 5th + 6th years you should be good to apply to Western.

@ fear

IMO you should do a master's. Queen's gives every grad student a file review. You would only be competitive if queens looked at your 6th year. which means post under grad

Depends if he took the extra years before graduating or not. It only counts as a special year if you haven't graduated.

EDIT: As long as you haven't graduated all of your years will count (you're only allowed to take 1 post-degree year). If you haven't graduated and you meet course load/GPA requirements in your 5th + 6th years you should be good to apply to Western.

Wow, I really appreciate all of your guy's feedback.

Yes, my 5th and 6th year are still a part of my original degree, simply because I have to complete more than 120 credits to graduate with a double-major/double-minor. I was intending to apply after my 6th year was completed, because my other years are not remotely competitive.

I took the time to read through the admission's guide lines at Queen's, Western, and Dalhousie today. And I think I'll have a fair chance at Queen's and Western if my 6th year is >3.80, however, I realize both of these universities are extremely competitive since they're open to all Canadian applicants. I wasn't sure if Dalhousie requires students who have already completed their degree to use their best three years, or if they can choose to only use their best two? However, if the latter is true, then I should be competitive there as well, but I'll also be OOP so I know the probability of admittance is much lower.

I'm an undergraduate at the UofC right now, and really want to go to the UofC for medical school. If they maintain their current criteria, I will meet their GPA cut-off and undergo full-file review (hinges on my 6th year >3.80). I'm not competitive for UofA... However, I may apply anyway, because I'm IP and don't have much to lose by applying.

IF I don't get accepted my first cycle, then I'll start looking into MSc programs (i.e. Queen's) and other academic options, but I think for now I'll hold out and see what the medical school admissions process has in store for me..

Do you guys have anything else to add?

How can you tell if volunteering is "forced" or not by simply reading a short and brief list? You know nothing about this person.

Of course I don't, I am looking at the resume as if I didn't know them (which I don't).

You're telling me that if you read (made poetry and sent money to a charity) that wouldn't seemed forced?? It could very well be that he/she did do that out of goodness from the bottom of their heart, that doesn't mean that it looks that way on paper. Usually when you're a student, you can't afford much and if you're going to donate your money when you got bills to pay (which may or not be his/her situation)..well it seems conspicuous.

Ottawa has a lower GPA cutoff for Ottawa residents.

Hmm..? Can you link me to this??

Of course I don't, I am looking at it the resume as if I didn't know them (which I don't).

You're telling me that if you read (made poetry and sent money to a hospital) that wouldn't seemed forced?? It could very well be that he/she did do that out of goodness from the bottom of their heart, that doesn't mean that it looks that way on paper. Usually when you're a student, you can't afford much and if you're going to donate your money when you got bills to pay (which may or not be his/her situation)..well it seems conspicuous.

Yea no.

Your number 1 source is the admissions office. When you call them they'll tell you the cut off for Ottawa residents is much lower than people outside of Ottawa or OOP.

There's no link, but the wGPA cutoff is typically 3.70 for an applicant from Ottawa. That being said, it's still fairly uncommon to see someone get an interview with a wGPA less than 3.90 regardless of their geographical status (based on people who post on these forums)

There's no link, but the wGPA cutoff is typically 3.70 for an applicant from Ottawa. That being said, it's still fairly uncommon to see someone get an interview with a wGPA less than 3.90 regardless of their geographical status (based on people who post on these forums)

I assume you mean for Ottawa Medical School? As the majority of Medical schools have lower average GPA acceptance rates tan 3.9. An example being Dal "The mean grade point average of successful applicants in 2011/12 was 3.8.

Regardless I do agree, shoot for a 3.9+ whether you have to or not.

I assume you mean for Ottawa Medical School? As the majority of Medical schools have lower average GPA acceptance rates tan 3.9. An example being Dal "The mean grade point average of successful applicants in 2011/12 was 3.8.

Regardless I do agree, shoot for a 3.9+ whether you have to or not.

Yes, I was specifically referring to Ottawa. Take a look at the interview invite thread from this cycle and you'll see that most people had a wGPA >= 3.90

Agreed, I was an applicant from Ottawa (lived there 7 years, although moved this past September) and have been rejected pre-interview for the past 4 years (including this one). I have just slightly over the 3.7 cut-off, but they would always say it was because of the auto-biographical sketch or something of that sort. I don't have a spectacular sketch, but one decent enough to land an interview with Queens and NOSM. I've known several friends who lived in the Ottawa area for most of their lives and were applying in with ~3.8 who had decent sketches and never landed an interview.

I'm pretty sure their cutoff is essentially like getting a full file review or not. If you have just over 3.7 and you're from Ottawa but you have a spetacular sketch then you'd get an interview. If you have a 3.95 with a average sketch you'd still get the interview. That being said i do think they prefer Ottawa residents a bit more.