Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

Do you know if they are harsher on applicants with fewer than 3 years worth of grades?

Yes, as third year applicant, it is very hard but doable, you need to show what you learned in your ABS. There was 1 excellent 3rd yr candidate last cycle with fantastic ECs/volunteering & 3.96 GPA who got no interview, but did as a 4th yr applicant. The application experience alone makes it worthwhile and who knows, anything is possible. :P

Ontario Student.

Just finished 2nd year.

CGPA = 3.76 (All A's and no B's, but one full year course with C+ ruined it all, yikes! :( )

EC: Volunteering at local hospital since September 2012

Research: Just started with a Professor

Awards: Some notable ones

Just started studying for MCAT scheduled for August

Planning to applying med schools in September, 2013

At this time, I am thinking of UT, Mac, Queens, and Calgary.

I know I might not be competitive for Ottawa.

Do you have any suggestions for me, please?

Thank you in advance! :)

As someone above mentioned, you're not all that competitive as a 3rd year for UofT, Queen's, or Calgary. However, depending on your VR score, you could be competitive for Mac. I'd say if you get 11+, it's worth applying there. This is assuming that the formula stays the same as this past year - 32% GPA, 32% VR, 32% CASPER. Mac doesn't discriminate against 3rd years, and if you look through the interview thread, there were people with similar GPAs to yours that got interviews.

Do you know if they are harsher on applicants with fewer than 3 years worth of grades?

I don't believe they are. They don't have an official policy stating that they are harsher on 3rd years, and I know *many* 3rd years who got interviews there this year.

Could you break down your cGPA into two individual years?

Don't get your hopes up for UofT, they don't often offer interviews to 3rd years. You can also apply for Western if you do well in your 3rd year. McMaster also looks well, so does Queen's. Calgary, only if you get a cGPA of 3.80 and have a VR of 11, otherwise you won't get a full file review.

Study hard for the MCAT. Try your best to score 9/11/10 (PS/VR/BS) at the very least if you plan on applying to the aforementioned schools

hey trojjanhorse, where did you get this information?

1st Year GPA: 3.62

2nd Year GPA: 3.92

EC's: Below average

I will be writing the MCAT this summer. What VR should i get if i want any chance of being accepted into Mcmaster this cycle?

At least 11 for a decent shot, although you could potentially pull it off with a 10. Any less than that would be pushing it (assuming Mac uses the same pre-interview formula)

Edit: I think I recall one applicant with your GPA that had a 9, but that would require an amazing CASPer performance. Since we don't really know what constitutes a good CASPer answer, it's clearly not ideal.

At least 11 for a decent shot, although you could potentially pull it off with a 10. Any less than that would be pushing it (assuming Mac uses the same pre-interview formula)

Edit: I think I recall one applicant with your GPA that had a 9, but that would require an amazing CASPer performance. Since we don't really know what constitutes a good CASPer answer, it's clearly not ideal.

Sounds about right! Aim high, do well on the VR - really is the most important section in general now.

Pretty much already know the answer... but asking anyways!

Finished undergrad in healthcare professional program.

cGPA: 3.11

No MCAT yet (still wondering whether to bother writing/applying)

Excellent ECs (awards from Faculty/University)

Chances anywhere in Canada? Advice?

I'm actually debating whether it's worth getting another degree to bring up cGPA (financial/time investment)...

Thanks!

I'm actually debating whether it's worth getting another degree to bring up cGPA (financial/time investment)...

A second degree is probably the best approach

Thanks!

I would say..either another degree or go for your masters and get a nice job.

Be grateful you made it through Undergrad, many don't! Medicine is not for everyone but if you want to get into health care..well you got the degree for it bud!

Look on the positives, life is too short. Medical School is crazy expensive and is super competitive..lots of less stressful careers than an MD anyways :).

As you say, you would probably need another degree to get your GPA up, unless you had a few really good years in your first undergrad (particularly the last two). You would also likely be limited to schools which are willing to only look at your last or best years, such as Queen's.

If you're considering that route, I recommend writing the MCAT earlier rather than later - nothing sucks more than putting in 2+ years into a second degree and then figuring out you can't get the MCAT scores you need.

1st year: 3.96 GPA

2nd year: 3.93 GPA

cCPA: 3.94

MCAT this august

ECs:

-volunteering for 5 months (ongoing) in research lab + got hired as paid assistant for this summer

-competitive swimming for 6 years (though that was high school, so may not count I guess)

-started a free access blog for writers to share and obtain original ideas for novels/stories/films

-orientation leader

-various work experience

-amatuer writer and runner

edit: at Mcgill (neuroscience major) and Ontario resident (GTA)

Hey wavygravy - I'm from Alberta, and I interviewed at 3 schools last year and was rejected from all 3. My interview scores were really bad. I had always thought that since I was a pretty easy-going person, the MMI would be simple! I realized that it is as much a skill, subject to practice, as anything else. This year I joined a few practice groups, and I think it really helped me expound upon ideas for a full 6-8 minutes.

In any case, I interviewed at 4 schools this year, and so far have acceptances from 2 of the 3 I've heard back from. Your stats look excellent. I would definitely encourage you not to be discouraged (hard to hear, I know. I was dejected last year); and to give it at least one more try.

PM me if you want to ask anything specific!

1st year: 3.6ish

2nd year: 3.7ish

3rd year: 3.83

4th year: 3.77 (reason is because I got two B's despite all other A's)

-No awards, except for entrance

- a variety of EC's (ex. club execs, hospital, CAN blood, volunteer abroad)

- research volunteer

- research assistant in cancer department

- reference letters; thesis prof undergrad & work manager from research

- writing MCAT this summer

Don't have high hopes... regretting that I'm not doing a fifth year and just graduating. Instead, this year will be a "gap" year for me.... hoping that the year will be productive & meaningful.

Not sure if this is the right place to post, but looking for advice on moving forward and wondering if anyone has any insight (or if I am hopless :( ).

Stats:

cGPA 3.95 (3.97,3.97,3.95,3.91)

wGPA Toronto 3.98, Ottawa 3.93

MCAT BS12/VR11/PS11/WSP (wrote in 2010 - is this still good for this cycle?)

ECs:

Not the greatest, but have experience in research, employment, academic awards, volunteering, extracurriculars done out of interest.

Was basically on a "gap year" this year but didn't add too significantly to my sketch (and wondering if this is an issue)

Application experience:

First time applying, but not right out of undergrad. 3 interviews this cycle (Ottawa, Mac, Toronto). Rejected pre-interview from Queens and Western. Rejected post interview from all schools I interviewed at. This worries me. Most people that I know/have read about on the forum went from waitlist --> acceptance, I don't see many multiple post-interview rejections --> acceptance. I don't think that I have a terrible personality, although I am introverted. Don't think I completely bombed my interviews, but something about me must have come across that prevented me from being successful.

In province in Ontario. Willing to relocate if this gives me an advantage (just need to do a half credit of English for a few schools). Willing to go to the States if that is possible as well - know nothing of this route, but I think I have read on this forum US MD graduates are treated as CMG for residency.

Would love some advice and guidance, especially if anyone has been in a similar situation.

I have worse but similar stats:

GPA: 3.91 (3.86/3.85/3.99/3.95)

MCAT: 32S (10PS/11VR/11BS)

I got rejected pre-int from everywhere but Western, and now got rejected post-int from there too. Honestly, it disgusts me. I'll be doing a masters and reapplying in a couple years. They can't reject us forever?

Not sure if this is the right place to post, but looking for advice on moving forward and wondering if anyone has any insight (or if I am hopless :( ).

Stats:

ECs:

Not the greatest, but have experience in research, employment, academic awards, volunteering, extracurriculars done out of interest.

Was basically on a "gap year" this year but didn't add too significantly to my sketch (and wondering if this is an issue)

Application experience:

First time applying, but not right out of undergrad. 3 interviews this cycle (Ottawa, Mac, Toronto). Rejected pre-interview from Queens and Western. Rejected post interview from all schools I interviewed at. This worries me. Most people that I know/have read about on the forum went from waitlist --> acceptance, I don't see many multiple post-interview rejections --> acceptance. I don't think that I have a terrible personality, although I am introverted. Don't think I completely bombed my interviews, but something about me must have come across that prevented me from being successful.

In province in Ontario. Willing to relocate if this gives me an advantage (just need to do a half credit of English for a few schools). Willing to go to the States if that is possible as well - know nothing of this route, but I think I have read on this forum US MD graduates are treated as CMG for residency.

Would love some advice and guidance, especially if anyone has been in a similar situation.

I don't understand why you were rejected from Western pre-interview??? Shocking...

Hi Everyone,

Long-time lurker on this forum, looking for a bit of input.

I finished my undergrad last year (2012), and wrote the MCAT at the end of last summer (got results late September). Wonder what people thought about applying this year; I'm a resident of Ontario.

cGPA: 3.68

L2Y GPA: 3.70

UWO wGPA: 3.91

UofT wGPA: 3.84

UofO wGPA: 3.68

Calgary wGPA: 3.78

MCAT: 12/11/14 (P/V/B) R

ECs:

Work (some overlap): retail-4 years; service-3 years; pharma-3 summers+3 school years part time; pharma-1 year full time.

Volunteer: 220 hr highschool co-op at local hospital; 500+ hours hospital volunteering; lots of intramural sports; currently helping with organization of massive charity sale (raises more than 100k yearly); helped start French immersion reading program in highschool.

Research: None

Basically I was thinking of applying to Queen's, U of T, Mac and Western. Any advice or other thoughts are appreciated!

Great MCAT score!

You would definitely get an interview at Western with those stats, provided that each of your years of study are full-time (5 courses/semester) and that you have at least 60% of your courses in that year level (so 6/10 courses in your 3rd year are 3rd/4th year level courses).

Mac may be a bit of a long shot as they take cGPA and you are a bit on the low side. Your verbal is good, but for Mac, you usually need an exceptional verbal score/CASPer score if GPA is lowish.

UofT and Queens are a crapshoot. Your GPA is a little low for both but you have good ECs and a strong MCAT. I'd say definitely apply! UofT is very research heavy and they like people with lots of research experience so the fact that you have none may work against you. However, people have gotten in with little to no research experience as well so it's worth a try! Queens I'd say is a lesser chance than UofT due to the low-ish GPA you have for cGPA/last 2 years (they take whichever one is higher) but they have gotten more "holistic" over the years and you may still have a shot!

Also, just a personal note: I applied for this years cycle on a total WHIM and ended up getting in. So the advice that is given on this forum often, which is simply "APPLY APPLY APPLY!" is definitely GREAT advice! You never know what's going to happen and with your stats, which are fairly competitive, you have a good shot!

Good luck!

Stats:

ECs:

Application experience:

How much did you practice for the interview? I think some people are naturally good interviewee's and others get "performance anxiety" and don't convey their intelligence and skills very well.

I myself was fortunate enough to get to do a mock interview and several practice interviews with friends. I also had many discussions with current med students (UOttawa send the emails of students willing to help with interview prep along with their interview notice and I took full advantage) on how to interview successfully. I read read 2 interview books AND "Doing Right" as well and made notes. One book contained 150 possible interview questions. I actually wrote down my answers to some of the questions I found difficult to answer and made articulating my answers so much easier! I'm actually naturally extroverted, love public speaking and interviews are not stressful for me. I'm a GOOD interviewee and I still spend A LONG TIME preparing.

Most people but in a TON of hard work to get the grades/MCAT/ECs for the interview but then don't prepare for the interview nearly as much as they should! I don't know if this is the case for you, but I'm just bringing it up as a possibility?

With your AMAZING stats (good job! you are clearly a smart cookie) you will get interviews again next cycle. You need to spend this year dissecting what you did wrong during those interviews and how to fix it. You know now that interviewing is not your forte, so just like you spent a lot of time studying for the MCAT, doing extracurriculars and getting good undergrad grades, study for the interview!

Most universities have career offices that will do mock job interviews and even med interviews if you request it! If you are out of school, find a job that forces you to interact with people. If you are in school, volunteer somewhere that involves communication with others. Selling a product to someone will prepare you for selling yourself during interviews!

If you need any help, I'd be happy to provide it! I've dealt with this situation before (I have a friend who went 3 cycles with 2 interviews and was rejected all 3 cycles! He finally got in this year once he spent the whole year practicing interviews!). I'm in Ontario so PM me and I'd be happy to provide help, even book recommendations!

I have no doubt with your stats and a little bit of work on the interview, that you'll be in next year!

What chance do I have as a 3rd and 4th year applicant?

First year GPA: 3.89

2nd year GPA: 3.71 (one C+ and B+, the rest are all As)

CGPA: 3.8

ECs: Research for a year, volunteer at a hospital, rehabilitation center, community center, senior home and peer mentoring.

Planning to write MCAT this summer. Planning to apply to all Ontario schools except UOttawa, and NOSM. Do you think I should apply this year?

1st year: 3.6ish

2nd year: 3.7ish

3rd year: 3.83

4th year: 3.77 (reason is because I got two B's despite all other A's)

-No awards, except for entrance

- a variety of EC's (ex. club execs, hospital, CAN blood, volunteer abroad)

- research volunteer

- research assistant in cancer department

- reference letters; thesis prof undergrad & work manager from research

- writing MCAT this summer

Don't have high hopes... regretting that I'm not doing a fifth year and just graduating. Instead, this year will be a "gap" year for me.... hoping that the year will be productive & meaningful.